SETTING: Approximately 8 years or so after Zahn's Trilogy. I'm not big on timelines but it is definitely set before Specter of the Past.

SUMMARY: When Luke's friends all gather together after he is critically injured on a mission, secrets are exposed and friendships are strengthened.

RATING: PG

DISCLAIMER: Anything and everything Star Wars belongs to George Lucas, with a special mention to Timothy Zahn for creating the wonderfully complex character of Mara. I am making no money from this. I do not intend any infringement but only wish to entertain myself and hopefully a few others with my rantings.

Critical Condition

Mara glanced around the room as the doctor went back into the critical care room. He had come out to brief them on Luke's condition and the news had not been good. As the doctor had related how serious Luke’s injuries were, they all knew he was trying to tell them that there was no hope. Luke Skywalker was dying.

Now the small group of friends and family sat in stunned silence as the doctor left them with their grief to return to his patient. They had all rushed to the Coruscant Medical Center when Wedge had contacted them that Luke’s latest mission had gone horribly wrong and he had been injured. Wedge had told them it was bad, but not even he had realized how bad it was. No one had expected to find Luke on the verge of death and the doctor not able to help him.

Mara's tired eyes fell on Leia just as she slumped back into her chair and Lando walked up behind her to squeeze her shoulder reassuringly. Han stood beside her, his eyes still glued to the door where Luke lay prone. Wedge sat on the edge of a sofa, not moving at all but his mind going over and over the events that led up to Luke being shot in the chest. Mirax stood nearby, keeping a close eye on him until Iella could get here while Talon Karrde stood by the window, looking out but his eyes focusing on nothing. Mara wrapped her arms around herself and leaned her head back against the wall she was leaning against. She knew they were all wondering why Luke had suddenly volunteered for this mission. She knew why and it was all her fault. She had walked out on Luke after an intense argument about him wanting to go public with their relationship. She had walked out on him and their relationship. Mara shivered when she remembered the vacant look in his eyes as she had shut the door in his face.

The door opened again and the doctor came back out. Leia knew it couldn’t be good and hurriedly scrambled to her feet to meet him, Han right beside her. The doctor’s expression was one of sadness and lost hope.

The doctor waited until Han’s arm went around his wife’s shoulders before he spoke.

"I’m so sorry Madame Chief of State…your brother's condition has taken a turn for the worse. He …he’s lost so much blood and his heart muscles are not repairing themselves as we thought they would."

Leia's voice was cracking under the stress of her brother’s condition. "What…what are you trying to tell us, Doctor?"

"I’m sorry Madame, but it will only be a matter of hours before your brother’s heart completely gives out."

A wounded moan escaped from Leia as she slumped. Han wrapped both his arms around her and pulled her close. He murmured comforting words to her but knew they would do no good. He honestly didn’t know how Leia would survive without Luke.

Wedge approached the doctor. "Luke is a Jedi Master, why is he not healing?"

The doctor shook his head. "I honestly do not know about the Jedi healing methods. The only thing I can tell you is that his wound is not healing and he is dying from it.

"Please…we need to see him." Wedge’s voice was barely a whisper.

The doctor squeezed his arm in support. "Of course… I think it would be good for all of you to go in."

He held the door open as Han lead Leia into her brother’s room. Talon looked at Mara and wished he could convince her to walk in with him. He knew it was best to leave her alone and let her come when she was ready. Wedge and Mirax started through the door but hesitated as Corran rushed into the room. Lando and Talon stepped to the side of them and went through the open door. Corran stopped to stare at his wife.

Mirax took a step toward him and he backed up.

"Corran, " Mirax stopped going toward her husband, " We need to go in now."

He stared at her for a moment as he tried to feel his friend’s presence through the force. When he didn’t find Luke’s presence, he shook his head no.

"Not Luke, " he whispered.

Corran slowly walked toward the door. Wedge let them enter the room together then he turned to look at Mara. She was staring at the door leading to Luke, but making no move to go in.

"Mara, will you walk in with me?"

She only shook her head no. Wedge was very worried about her. He walked closer but stopped when her expression hardened.

Wedge took a deep breath. "It doesn’t matter that they don’t know Mara, just that you be with him now. That’s all that matters."

Mara’s voice was soft and almost non believing. "I know...I’m just not ready yet. Go ahead Wedge…please."

Wedge didn’t know what else to do so he did as she asked. He walked into Luke’s critical care room and inhaled sharply as he did. In all their time together, Wedge had never seen his best friend in this condition before. He was lying in a bed with only his black pants left on. There were numerous cuts and gashes on his arms and chest. There was discoloration that started on Luke’s left shoulder that ran all the way down to the center of his chest. At the center of his chest, blood was still seeping from the wound he had received. A wound from a mission he should never have been on. Wedge’s eyes traveled from his wounded friend to Leia.

She had knelt on the floor beside her brother’s bed and clutched his hand. She laid her forehead to his still hand and couldn’t stop the tears any longer. Her body trembled as she cried for the brother she had found and was now going to lose. Han wrapped his arm around Luke’s head and hugged him close. He rested his head against his friends and tried in vain to keep the life from draining from him.

Talon turned away to stare out the window, not wanting to deal with this. Luke was a person that he respected and cared for. He did not want his friend’s life to end in this violent and senseless way.

Corran and Mirax held each other while Wedge slumped against the wall.

Corran was desperately searching for Luke in the force, but to no avail. "I don’t understand, I can’t find his presence at all. It’s almost as if he doesn’t want to be found."

Leia looked up at them and shook her head no. "Why is he not healing himself, Corran? This should not be life threatening." Corran wished he could answer her but he could not. Luke was in bad shape but if he would try, he would survive.

Wedge looked toward the door as it slowly opened. Mara walked in and for a moment only stared at Luke. She finally took a step closer and let the door close behind her. Talon started to move toward her but she held up a hand for him to stop. Mara approached Luke with her eyes never leaving him. She stopped and stood at the foot of her friend’s bed. Mara tried her best to keep her face expressionless but everyone noticed how her hands were trembling.

"Luke," she whispered but her plea still resonated through the silent room.

Han drew back and looked down at his friend then loosed his hold on him. Leia noticed and feared a turn for the worse.

"Han, what is it?" She struggled to her feet. "Han?"

Han looked at Mara. "Talk to him."

His voice was commanding and it startled Mara.

She took a deep breath as Corran released Mirax and moved closer to the fallen Jedi.

"Yes Mara, talk to him." He encouraged her.

Leia looked at him quizzingly so Corran explained. "I felt his presence when Mara called out to him."

Han agreed, "and I felt him move…Mara, please."

Everyone knew Han Solo never said please. Leia looked at Mara. For the first time, she really looked at the ex-assassin. Mara’s eyes were clouded over in pain, a greater pain than even Leia felt. Mara slowly walked around the bed and knelt behind Luke. When Mara’s hands touched Luke’s face, she gasped. Leia and Corran both winced. They knew everyone was watching them closely but there was no way to describe how it had felt through the force when Mara had touched Luke. Mara held Luke’s head in her hands and gently kissed his forehead. She then let her forehead rest against his.

*Luke….please answer me. I’m so afraid without you…I feel as if my heart and soul have been ripped out.*

He didn’t answer so Mara continued to plead for his life.

* I’m sorry that we fought and I left. It was a mistake. I will never leave you again. Luke, there are so many people who love you and don’t want you to leave. Please don’t do this. Please don’t give up.*

Mara felt Leia’s hands on her shoulders and it strengthened her determination.

*You’re being cruel Skywalker. Do you hear me? You're making us all suffer when you could come back to us.*

She tried to be angry but was too concerned to pull it off.

*I know you can hear me and feel me reaching for you. Why won’t you answer me? Luke, I love you.*

Mara felt a slight stirring.

*Did you hear me Farmboy? I love you*

*Mara?*

The thought was faint but it was a start. Mara's thumbs stroked the sides of Luke’s face. Leia looked at Corran. Everyone else waited.

*Luke, I’m here…please fight this Luke. I don’t want to lose you.*

*Hurts*

*I know Luke but we can help you. Just don’t give up. Fight Luke…fight to live.*

There was no communication for a few seconds then Mara felt Luke reach out to the force.

*Yes Luke, use the force*

She felt Luke reaching out to the force, to the very thing that had saved his life so many times. She kept encouraging him to draw on the force while everyone else was amazed when Leia laughed softly. Corran them began to smile. Wedge grabbed his arm.

"What’s going on?"

Mara looked up at him. Her face was still wet from her tears. "He’s healing himself.".

"Yes," Corran agreed.

They all looked around at each other, not knowing what to do. Lando was amazed.

"He responded to Mara-"

"And now he’s healing himself." Corran finished.

"Yes, " Leia looked at the woman still holding Luke’s face. "Mara’s making him fight to live."

Talon Karrde smiled. Things were finally getting on track where those two were concerned.

Mara looked at Luke quickly when she felt him let go of the trance.

*Help me*

Leia and Corran both heard his weakened plea through the force but knew the message was for Mara.

*Luke, what do you want? *

Luke’s eyes did not open his eyes but he forced his lips to move.

"Stay Mara"

Mara didn’t care what anyone else thought at this point. When Luke stretched his arm out to his side, Mara climbed in beside him and laid her head on his shoulder without any hesitation. She wanted to be able to put her full concentration on healing Luke and not worrying about anyone entering the room who may injure Luke so she looked at Luke’s most trusted friend. "Protect us?"

Han didn’t hesitate. "With my life," he whispered.

She nodded then settled back down. Luke’s arm tightened around her then she laid her hand on his wound. His hand covered hers then both their breathing patterns slowed.

Corran turned to Leia. "They’re both in a healing trance. Luke...he’s going to be fine now." The bright shine in his eyes and huge smile reassured everyone.

Wedge was astounded. "Luke is going to be fine?" The power that Luke and the other Jedi held never failed to amaze him.

Corran laughed softly and pulled Mirax close for a hug. "Luke is going to be perfectly fine."

Wedge was beyond relief. "Mara did this didn’t she?"

Corran nodded. "It’s hard to explain. Luke could hide from us but Mara's presence and his are so intertwined that she could find him."

Leia was still crying, "and more importantly, he listened to her. He came back and now he’s fighting this."

"He wasn’t trying before?" Mirax asked.

Corran shook his head. "No, he was exhausted and …he just wasn’t fighting death."

Han snorted "Doesn’t matter. He’s going to be fine now."

"Yes." Leia whispered.

She walked to the head of the bed and gently pushed the hair away from her brother’s eyes. She leaned down and kissed him softly. She looked at Mara a moment then gently kissed her forehead also. She gasped as Luke and Mara both reached out through the force. Her senses mingled with theirs and almost drowned in the love they felt for each other. Then they withdrew to finish the task of healing Luke. Han looked at Leia.

"What’s wrong?" He wasn’t fooling around when it came to Luke’s welfare.

"Nothing bad Han…they reached out to me…how did I not see how they felt about each other?"

She looked around the room. "Am I the only one who didn’t know about them?"

No one seemed to want to answer her question.

Han finally sighed. "I thought they liked each other but no, I didn’t know for sure."

Lando laughed softly " I sure didn’t know."

Everyone chuckled at that while Mirax patted Corran's chest.

"We thought they might be headed toward something but we didn’t know they were already there."

Talon shook his head no. "I was happy Mara wasn’t trying to kill him anymore…and I had hoped but…"

Wedge was the only one who hadn’t answered so everyone looked at him. He glanced around at them and groaned. He knew they expected him to supply answers. Leia wasn’t letting him off the hook either.

"You knew Wedge?" She couldn't help the slight resentment that crept into her thoughts that he knew something so important about her brother when she didn't.

He straightened his posture as a soldier getting ready to be interrogated might do.

"I won’t betray Luke’s trust Leia. Not for anyone or anything."

They all knew he meant every word he said.

"Wedge…they just showed me how they feel about each other. It’s stronger than anything I’ve ever seen or felt. I understand and accept their relationship. If Mara and Luke want to be together, then I’ll stand with them one hundred percent. I just wonder how long have they had to hide their relationship because of me."

She said it with such a quiet sadness that Wedge knew she was sincere. He took a deep breath and looked around. These were all Luke and Mara’s friends. Things were different now. They wouldn’t have to hide anymore.

"They’ve been together…a few years now."

Everyone was stunned.

"A few years?" Leia whispered.

Wedge nodded. "They’ve been off and on for over two years now." Wedge took a deep breath and wondered if it was the right thing to do. "They just thought it would be best to keep it a secret…all the times Luke disappeared for weeks on end, he was either docked with Jades Fire or they were on Mara’s sanctuary."

"And it took all of us this long to figure it out." Han was amazed. They had two very sneaky Jedi on their hands.

Wedge laughed softly "Oh, there were plenty of times when you almost caught them."

Talon laughed with him. "All the times I’ve contacted Mara and she’d be evasive or particularly …happy…"

"And all the little slip ups with comlinks and secret missions…" Han added.

Wedge saw how good this was for his friends. They were smiling and he thought that just maybe this was a good idea after all.

"They really did want to tell everyone but…Luke is Vader’s son and Mara was the emperor's hand…people would-- will have a field day with this."

Han wasn't about to let the masses come after Luke. "We’ll protect them. It’s the least that we can do after they’ve had to hide for so long."

"Yes, " Leia agreed, "they will not feel anymore pain or suffering because they love each other. It’s my turn to protect my brother for once."

Wedge smiled. "It's time for all of us to protect the Jedi Master, the person who has always stood beside us and fought every battle with us. We’ll fight this battle for him."

Talon walked over to stand beside Leia "I absolutely agree. "

Leia looked at Talon and smiled. He may try to hide it, but she knew how much he cared for Luke. Probably as much as he did for Mara.

Lando came to stand by Han. "We owe Luke just about everything we have and everything we are, me especially. Count me in."

Mirax and Corran stood with their arms still around one another and no one could ever doubt their loyalty to Luke. "We’ll do whatever it takes to protect Luke and Mara from the onslaught. Just let us know."

A single tear escaped down Leia's cheek. "Thank all of you so very much. Luke is a very special person and so few people get to know the real him. Thank you for being there for him and for loving him. It's something that he has needed in his life and I really think he finally feels that love. That he is loved"

They all understood. Luke had had very little love and affection growing up on Tatooine. He had sacrificed love over and over again for his friends, family and the galaxy as a whole. They all knew that and this was a wonderful way to repay him, to give him the opportunity to love Mara in peace.

Han answered Leia’s thank you. "We all love him Leia…we’ll protect him."

They all stood silent for a moment then Talon suddenly laughed. "Is this why no one is allowed aboard the Jade’s Fire?"

Wedge laughed. "Yes it is. Basically Luke lives on the Fire. Most of his stuff is there so it would be pretty hard to hide that fact."

"We’re going to have to watch him much closer in the future…" Corran said.

They all laughed and once again the mood had lightened. They all stood around the room trading stories of Luke's heroic deeds or the times they had caught him doing strange things that they now knew he was doing to hide his involvement with Mara. The doctor came in at regular intervals and gave them encouraging updates. Luke's chest wound was healing at a rapid rate and he appeared to be out of danger.

Talon, Corran and Wedge all took turns getting caf for everyone and the hospital staff had even secured chairs in the room for everyone after they had all refused to leave until Luke woke up. It was several hours later when they finally heard a moan coming from the bed. They all crowded around as Luke moaned again and Mara struggled to disentangle herself from the Jedi.

Han helped Mara stand up, her legs wobbly from the amount of energy she had put into healing Luke.

"Thanks" she mumbled. He made sure she was steady then watched as Luke’s eyes fluttered open and he struggled to sit up. Leia gently pushed him down. "You have a chest wound, Luke. Please don't try to sit up. It's the worst thing you could do."

Luke struggled against her and even though he was gritting his teeth in agony, he maneuvered himself into an upright position.

Leia softly chastised her stubborn brother. "Just be careful little brother. You’re still pretty weak."

She couldn’t resist kissing his cheek and inhaling the scent of him. "I missed you so much."

Luke’s hand came up to caress her cheek. He swallowed a few times then drew the force around him for strength. "I missed you too, Leia."

His voice was soft but Leia sobbed at hearing it again.

"Luke, I love you. No one can ever understand what it's like between us but you know. I can’t make it in this world without you. You are my soul Luke Skywalker. Don’t you ever forget that."

Luke kissed her cheek again "No, no one will ever understand will they? We are two halves of one soul. I’ll never leave you sweet sister, never."

They continued to hold each other until Han nudged his wife away. "We’d like a turn please."

They all laughed but Leia reluctantly moved aside, knowing that Han was serious. He had to make sure Luke really was all right.

Han looked at Luke for a moment then hugged him very carefully. "I will personally kill you if you ever do such a stupid thing again. Do you hear me, kid?"

Luke relished the feel of his friend's love and protection. "I understand Han. I’ll behave from now on."

Han drew away from Luke and smacked his face lightly.

"See that you do or else. I don’t like the idea of losing someone I love, so take it easy."

Luke nodded, knowing how hard it was for Han to say that. He did not share his feelings easily. There was also a bond between he and Han that no other friendship would ever come close to. Han was truly his brother.

Luke looked around at everyone, surprised to see his closest friends all gathered in the room. "I’m… sorry that I worried all of you. I shouldn’t have gone on this mission…"

It was still hard for Luke to talk. His chest felt like fire was crawling on his skin and he was very weak.

"Just don‘t do it again." Wedge warned.

Everyone laughed and Luke looked at his best friend. The look Wedge gave Luke told him he wasn’t kidding.

He nodded. "I won’t."

Luke was surprised to see his smuggler friend here. "Talon, I didn’t mean to take you away from your duties."

"Luke, there are some things that are far more important than duties. I'm glad you’re going to be all right."

Luke was the only one surprised by Talon’s statement. He obviously had not realized that Talon Karrde respected him tremendously. Luke couldn’t help but smile at the warm and loving feeling flowing freely from everyone in the room. Luke looked around at his friends again with his gaze coming to rest on Mara. "I want…to thank all of you for your support. It really does help through the hard times."

"Well," Leia began, "There's not going to be any more hard times."

Luke looked at her strangely. He was a Jedi; there would always be hard times. She smiled and deliberately changed the subject.

She looked beside her at the very rumpled and tired looking Mara. Leia took a deep breath and looked at her one time enemy.

"Mara, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You gave me the greatest gift possible when you made this stubborn Jedi start fighting again. Thank you."

Mara was very apparently uncomfortable with gratitude. "Please don’t thank me. Luke came back and he’s doing fine, that’s all that matters."

Leia nodded, "Yes, but really…thank you. And as for this secret relationship.."

Mara stiffened, expecting a long tirade of why they shouldn’t be together and how she wouldn’t let them.

"There's no reason to keep it a secret any longer. If people can’t deal with the fact that the two of you are together, then that’s their problem. Your friends and your family love you both and want you to be happy. Who cares what the outside world thinks?"

Luke and Mara stared at her in confusion. Han laughed softly. "It's true kid, she’s fine with this. "

Leia elbowed him playfully. "More than fine actually. I’m very happy for the two of you…I hope you just forgive me for not seeing this sooner and for making things so hard on you. I am sorry."

Luke was ecstatic that Leia knew about he and Mara but was finding it hard to concentrate. He rubbed his eyes. "Leia, we choose to keep this a secret. You have nothing to apologize for."

His twin could feel how tired he was becoming and didn’t want to argue with him.

"You need to rest Luke…we’ll talk about this more later, ok?"

He only nodded and looked at Mara. "You need some rest too."

"I will. I’ll bring you some clothes then take a quick shower and nap."

"Take the shower and nap first though."

"Luke..."

"Don’t argue with me or I won’t rest."

Mara glared at him as everyone else in the room snickered at their never-ending bickering. Mara did not like to be blackmailed but Luke needing rest was more important than her pride at the moment.

"Fine, I expect you to sleep too."

He reached out his hand to her, which she didn’t hesitate to take. He pulled her close and kissed her gently. "I promise." He whispered.

She kissed him a little deeper then drew away. "I’m glad you're ok too."

Luke laughed softly and finally said the words that they had keep hidden from the world for so long. "I love you too."

Mara rubbed his face. "I love you Luke Skywalker, now rest."

She made sure he settled back down in the bed and closed his eyes. She looked at Leia.

"We’ll talk more later if that’s all right. I really am tired."

Leia nodded. "It’s been a rough day Mara. You should rest. We have plenty of time."

Mara walked past her and stopped at Talon. He took her by the arm. "Better make sure you intend on resting." Mara gave him an incredulous look at his audacity but then shrugged and allowed herself to be lead toward the exit.

They made their way to the door and Leia looked at her brother. "Luke, we’re getting out of here now so you can rest and I’m sure the doctor will want to examine you."

Han looked at her. "I’m not leaving. You guys go ahead but I’m staying here until the kid is a hundred percent."

Luke looked over at Han who had pulled a chair up close to the bed. He didn't want his brother to leave.

"Thank you."

It was all Luke said but it was enough for Han to know he wanted him to stay.

Leia knew it was useless to argue. Han was in his ‘protect Luke’ mode.

"Ok, it would be good for someone to be here that way Luke can concentrate on healing."

Corran and Mirax both quietly told their friends goodbye as he settled back into his bed but Lando couldn’t resist stirring things up a bit.

"Well Luke, I guess you’re the winner where Mara is concerned. If it couldn’t be me, then I’m glad it was you." Luke laughed softly and shook Lando’s extended hand. Leia kissed him gently.

"Rest brother and we’ll see you in a while."

"Love you." Luke was getting very tired and the words were only mumbled.

Leia caressed the side of Luke’s face until she was satisfied he was deeply emerged in a healing trance. She kissed Han and hoped he knew how grateful she was to have him. "I love you Han."

"I know."

He grinned at her then watched as she followed the rest of their friends out the door. She hesitated at the door and turned to look at Luke again. She watched him for a moment then smiled one last time at her husband. Leia shut the door behind her and Han settled back in his chair to closely watch his brother.

THE END