SETTING: Approximatly 8 years or so after Zahn's Trilogy. That seems to be about when everything I write is set. Luke and Mara are not a couple.

RATING: I'm going to say NC-17 because it will be shortly though this part isn't.

DISCLAIMER: Anything and everything Star Wars belongs to George Lucas and I am making no money from this. I do not intend any infringement but only wish to entertain myself and hopefully a few others with my rantings.

Chapter 2 ...coming soon          Chapter 3 ...coming soon          Chapter 4 ...coming soon         

.Death of Light, Birth of Darkness

Chapter 1

Luke Skywalker opened his mouth and a blood curling scream that had never been heard from him before, ripped its way from his soul and forced its way out. He dropped to his knees as the last of the Ssi-Ruuk disappeared into oblivion, put there by him in the most excessive use of force anyone had ever seen. The Jedi Knights behind him, battered and bruised almost to the point of death themselves from the unexpected appearance of the Ssi-Ruuk watched as their Master slumped to his knees. They wanted to be near him, knowing there was no way he would survive the overwhelming influx of power he had drawn in and used to destroy the Ssi-Ruuk. They wanted to be by his side but were unable to make their tired and beaten bodies respond, all except one.

Mara could feel Luke's life force dwindling through their bond. But she wasn't the only one. It was as if everything and everyone knew. The trees seemed to willow and the air became suffocating as the man who had saved the galaxy many times, sacrificed himself for them for the last time.

Mara stumbled to Luke's side just as he fell slumped to the side, his life slipping away as quickly as it had been conceived.

"Luke, no. You can't do this." Mara's bloody hands fumbled at his tunic to turn him face up. The panic that had been rising in her chest was suddenly stilled as she saw his white, sunken face. She stared at her friend; a cold numbness creeping through her limbs to settle into her heart, making it feel heavy.

"Mara." Luke whispered, barely loud enough for her to hear. She did nothing to stop the tears that swelled in her eyes and swarmed down her face. She struggled closer to him and laid her face against his head, knowing there were so many things she wanted to tell him; needed to tell him.

"Why, Luke? Why does it always have to be you?" She sobbed against his broken body, her own body throbbing with each desperate sob. She had watched this man suffer for years, as he seemed to be the one called upon again and again to save the galaxy. She had watched him and grown to love him though never telling him.

Luke tried to grasp her hand but he couldn't control his limbs well enough. Mara could feel him slipping away, their bond weakening to the point where her mind felt barren by itself. Not knowing what to do, Mara leaned in to kiss Luke gently on the lips.

"Luke, listen to me," Mara choked back her sobs, desperate for him to hear her words before he died, "Luke, I love you. I should have told you sooner...please don't leave me, Luke." She collapsed against the fallen Jedi Master, years of pent up love flowing forth but mixed with the anger of him leaving her alone.

Luke could feel the blood slowing in his body, his heart keeping irregular beats. The force had already abandoned him, but hovered around him waiting to claim his body. Luke felt a stab of anger when he heard Mara's confession of love. He had loved her for so long but never realized that she loved him. He found love, he finally knew what it felt to feel loved by a woman and he couldn't stay to nurture that love.

Luke felt his throat constricting and knew he was out of time. "Mar..love yo-" His body buckled as the last breath escaped Luke's body. His eyes slowly shut and his hand went limp in Mara's grasp.

Mara turned her head towards the heavens and screamed at whoever would hear. She cursed the Ssi-Ruuk, the Force and all those who had wronged Luke. His hand slipped from hers and Mara looked back down as the Jedi Master's life ebbed away and eternal sleep claimed him. She pleaded that he not leave her but in the span of a second...Jedi Master Luke Skywalker was no more.

Luke felt his hand slip from Mara's and his body go numb. He struggled with his last conscious thought, reaching out for anyone and anything to save him. He was on the verge of slipping away forever when a sliver of darkness sliced through his body, teasing him with life. Luke saw the darkness beckoning him. The one thing he had fought against his entire life was the only thing that was offering him salvation. Where as the Force waited to claim him, the darkness was offering him life. The Jedi Master rebelled at the thought and relaxed to offer himself to death when Mara's pleas that he not leave her reached out and tore at his soul. Again, darkness offered the opportunity to heal himself. All he had to do was accept the darkness and he would be able to have Mara. When Mara professed her love and swore to follow him if he died, Luke made the hardest decision of his life. He made the first selfish decision he had ever made by opening his mind and soul to the darkness waiting around him.

Mara gasped when she felt Luke's strength begin rebuilding. Staring down at his face, she shuddered as the feeling of darkness began to cloak him, healing his injuries and wounding his soul all at once. She could do nothing but watch for the few minutes until his eyes opened. She scampered backwards as he struggled to a sitting position. Mara glanced about wildly, knowing everyone could feel what was happening but just as they had been before, were helpless to intervene. She took a deep, trembling breath as Luke pushed to his knees. He reached out to her through the force and allowed her to feel the renewed dark energy that was still replenishing his body and showed her exactly why he had accepted the darkness. To be with her.

Mara lifted herself to her feet, watching as Luke did the same. The man before her had renounced everything he had believed in to be with her. Her cries had pushed him to the brink of darkness then over into its boundless blackness. Luke took a deep breath, well aware of the internal struggle Mara was going through, knowing that he had did this so they could be together.

Mara's gaze never left Luke's, as she understood what he had done to be with her, and what she must do for him. Luke turned to walk away from her; from the woman he still loved though darkness permeated his every fiber. He hesitated for a second; looking around at the place Jedi Master Skywalker had died and Sith Master Skywalker had been born. He finally turned around and in a last chance to have Mara join him willingly, held out his hand.

Mara glanced around her once more at the death and destruction then back at Luke. He was the only man able to stop this invasion. He was also the only man she would ever love. Pushing aside all her fear and uncertainty, Mara reached out a trembling hand toward Luke. Shuddering at how the corners of his mouth curled into a slight grin at her willingness, Mara sealed her future and slipped her hand into that of the Sith Master's.

...to be continued...