Chapter 2
      Chapter 3      Chapter 4      Chapter 5      Chapter 6      Chapter 7       Chapter 8

SETTING: Approximately 8 years or so after Zahn's Trilogy. I'm not big on timelines.

SUMMARY: With Mara's life hanging in the balance, Luke Skywalker must find a way to stop the New Republic from persecuting Mara for her crimes committed while serving as Emperor Palpatine's Hand. But the solution they thought would be easy leads to even more problems...

RATING: PG

DISCLAIMER: Anything and everything Star Wars belongs to George Lucas and I am making no money from this. I do not intend any infringement but only wish to entertain myself and hopefully a few others with my rantings.

LIVING WITH THE CONSEQUENCES
Part 1

Chapter 1
Coruscant Justice Center

Mara stared at the Magistrate and tried to listen to what he was saying but all the words became a jumbled mess before she could digest them. The Magistrate looked up from the list of charges he was reading and his cold, demanding eyes rested on Mara.

"How does the accused plead?" Mara shivered inspite of herself when that question emphasized just how serious this situation was. She looked up at her lawyer, and Talon Karrde's friend, as he stood to answer for her.

"Ms. Jade pleads not guilty, your honor." Bryce Stanton sat back down and glanced at his client when the expected murmurs resulting from his answer flurried through the courtroom. The sound of people's indignation at Mara's refusal to admit guilt quickly built into a buzzing crescendo that ended only when the Magistrate struck his desk with a gavel. The sound echoed through the magnificent room and immediately the swell of voices withered away. Mara shivered again and wrapped her arms protectively across her chest. She met the gaze of the aging Magistrate and felt her spirit decline even more when the contempt and disdain of her shown clearly in his sharp eyes. Mara held his gaze until he shook his head in disgust and turned to the deputy-Magistrate beside him.

While they conferred, Mara finally allowed herself a quick look around the Justice Center room she had been assigned. She and Bryce sat a small table at the end of the enormous room with the Magistrate in front of them and several aisles of chairs for spectators behind them. As a high profile accused, her proceedings would take place in the largest and most elaborate room. Mara tried not to chuckle at the thought. If I have to give the people of Coruscant a show, why not do it in style.

Mara looked slightly behind her and smiled slightly at Talon. He gave her a reassuring smile in return and then concentrated again on what the Magistrate was doing. Mara was glad he was here. She needed friends right now and Talon seemed to be the only one she had. She had insisted to Talon that none of the Wild Karrde's crew be allowed to be here. There was no way she wanted them to see her like this. Mara's eyes flickered around the room, looking for the one person she thought she could always count on. But he was no where to be seen. Mara knew Han Solo and Leia Organa-Solo were sitting on the other side of the aisle but would not allow herself to look their way. It's partly Leia's fault that I'm here anyway, Mara thought to herself. She is the New Republic and should have been able to stop this or at least get Fey'lya to back off. And besides, she's apparently convinced her brother to stay away from me now.

The more Mara thought about it, the more she realized she was was feeling angry toward Leia because it bothered her that Luke was not here. Her supposed best friend had deserted her and with him, her last hope of surviving the charges brought against her by the New Republic. It wasn't enough for them to embarrass me by charging me with these crimes; they had to take my one true friend away too, she mused unhappily.

Mara sighed and turned her attention back to the Magistrate. It had only been two days ago that this whole nightmare had begun. Mara cursed herself for even setting foot on Coruscant again. She had known something was wrong, the Force had been prodding her with dark dreams and visions of her own despair, but just like all the other times in her life; Mara Jade had done what she had wanted and now she was going to pay the price. She would pay the price with her life. Mara leaned back in her chair, irritated that this was taking so long. All she wanted was to post bail and find someplace to take a shower. Her jail cell was dark and damp and Mara had never craved a shower so much.

Talon watched everything the Magistrate and his people did with great interest trying to pick up a clue as to what was going to happen here today. This was Mara's bail hearing but it had resembled more of a lynching so far. Talon's gaze drifted to his second in command who sat stoically in her chair as if this were an everyday thing for her. But Talon knew better. He could catch a glimpse of anxiety from her ever so often, like wrapping her hair around her finger while deep in thought. It was something he had learned many years ago that a nervous and worried Mara often did. And Mara had every reason to be worried this time. If she were found guilty at these proceedings, Mara would be executed. Karrde was not about to let that happen. Besides, I'm partly responsible for this mess anyway, he blamed himself. If only I had not decided to stop over on Coruscant, the New Republic could not have arrested Mara. Talon shook his head; still not sure he believed everything that had happened in the last two days.

Two Days Earlier
Coruscant Docking Bay

Talon Karrde stretched lazily as he stepped out onto the descending ramp of the Wild Karrde and sunlight flooded his senses. He and his crew had lucked up this time and gotten an outdoor landing pad. His ship would have to be moved inside later when a spot was available. But for now, being outside was fine with him. He had spent entirely too much time inside lately. Talon turned his face up towards the sun and laughed heartily.

"Doesn't it feel good to finally be outside the ship, Mara?" He asked the woman at his side.

His former second in command hated to admit it, but yes, she to had grown tired of being in Karrde's ship. Although a successful trader in her own right, Mara had joined her former employer in a mutually beneficial trip. Their latest journey had taken over a week to complete and they were all well overdue time away from each other.

Karrde turned around to look at Mara when she did not answer him.

"Yes, Karrde, I'm very happy to be able to get away from all you men." She said it sarcastically but Talon knew it hard to be tedious at times being aboard a ship full of men and few other women.

Aves exited the hatch and started down the ramp. "See ya, Mara," he nodded to Talon, "boss."

Aves suddenly stopped at the end of the ramp. Mara and Talon saw exactly what he was looking at just as he turned back around to look at them. "What did we do this time?"

Talon and Mara glanced at one another then back at the four New Republic security guards that were hurriedly making their way toward them. Mara walked down the ramp and took Aves by the arm. She steered him back up the ramp.

"Get everyone out the secondary hatch." As far as they knew, they had done nothing wrong but it was always better to be safe than sorry.

Aves understood and hurried into the ship to do as ordered. Talon and Mara stepped off the ramp as the guards reached them. Talon crossed his arms in front of his chest and sighed.

"Can we help you?"

One of the guards stepped forward directly in front of Mara. "Mara Jade?"

She was surprised but nodded. "Yes, what do you want?"

"Mara Jade, we have an order for your arrest." The officer replied in clipped tones.

Mara just stared at him but Talon was furious. "What are you talking about?"

"I do not know details, sir. We were instructed to bring Ms. Jade into headquarters as soon as this ship landed." He directed his attention back to Mara. "You'll have to come with us."

Mara took a few deep breaths to calm the rising panic that was growing steadily. She had been plagued with feelings of despair and gloom for the last few weeks and apparently, it was all coming to pass now. She took a step toward the small security detail and considered her options. There would have been only one option for the old Mara but now there was other things to consider. She looked at the guard closest to her. "I'll go with you."

Talon looked at his friend, knowing it was hard for her to allow herself subjected to New Republic control. "I'll get a lawyer and be there as soon as I can."

She nodded her thanks then her eyes widened when one of the guards held out a pair of binders. "I'll go with you. You don't need to bind my arms."

"Sorry Ms. Jade. We're under strict orders to treat you as a red level prisoner. We have to bind your wrists and once in the transport, your ankles will be bound."

Talon was speechless while Mara stared at the guard in horror. "I don't understand what's going on here."

"It will be explained but I'm not authorized. Please turn around and put your arms behind your back."

Mara hesitated and the guard drew his blaster. "I am also authorized to stun you if necessary."

His threat hung in the air until Talon took Mara by the arm and turned her to face him. "Just do as he says so you don't get hurt. We'll get this straightened out and make them pay for doing this."

Mara only nodded and pulled her arm from Talon's grasp to fold both her arms behind her back.

Talon watched as her eyes closed briefly when the binders clicked on then fly open when the guard reached around to remove her lightsaber. Mara used the Force to unsnap the saber from its usually resting-place against her hip and held it suspended in mid air in front of Talon. Knowing what she was going to say, Talon grasped the lightsaber uncomfortably in his hand.

Mara struggled against the guards as they started to lead her away. "Talon, make sure Skywalker gets that back if..."

Talon tried to reassure her but found the scene paralyzing him. Talon watched as Mara struggled against the guards taking her until he nodded that he understood. People stood and gawked at Mara as security lead her away and Talon could almost feel her embarrassment from where he stood. Talon shuddered as he realized the situation seemed to be far more serious than he originally thought.

As soon as the guards had taken Mara, Aves and Dankin appeared from the other side of the Wild Karrde. They had stayed hidden and listened to what had transpired. Dankin shook his head in wonderment. "No idea what they want with Mara?"

"No." Talon looked down at the lightsaber clutched in his hand. Aves followed his gaze and was surprised to see Talon holding Mara's most prized possession. "What are you going to do with that?"

Talon looked over at his longtime crewmember. "I'm going to give it to Luke Skywalker."

Aves frowned. "Why him? I mean, I know he's a Jedi Knight and all but why give him the one thing Mara seems attached to."

Talon smiled faintly. "Because it belongs to him."

Aves and Dankin glanced at each other. Aves wondered if Talon was more traumatized than he thought. "Talon, that's Mara's lightsaber."

It was at that moment that it occurred to Talon how little anyone knew of Mara. She had served along side these men for years and none of them knew her. Not even him really. He sighed and figured there was no reason for Mara to object to them knowing about her lightsaber. "It's along story, guys. Basically this lightsaber," He held it up and their eyes were immediately drawn to it, "belonged to Luke's father. He gave it to Mara as a gift and she wants it returned to him for safekeeping."

Aves chuckled. "She tries to kill him and he gives her a lightsaber for a gift. He may be a Jedi, but he seems kinda dense to me."

Talon stepped closer to Aves. "If there's one piece of advice that I can give you, it would be to never underestimate Luke Skywalker, especially where Mara Jade is concerned."

Aves and Dankin both shifted uncomfortably. "You act as if he's a friend of yours."

Talon smiled, "I suppose he is. He helped rescue me from Thrawn's clutches and somehow he's given Mara some peace in her life. I would say he's been a friend to quite a few of us."

Dankin shrugged. "I still don't trust the guy."

"Don't trust who?"

Talon swung around and reflexively threw his hands up in front of him. Luke Skywalker's eyes twinkled in amusement at startling his friend so much then his gaze dropped to the object clutched in Talon's hand, remembering the brief twinge of despair through the Force he had felt but had then quickly dissipated. Apparently Mara had unwittingly allowed her emotions to flow through the Force before she realized what she was doing and strengthened her barriers. When he looked back at Talon, his eyes had darkened and his voice betrayed his concern.

"Why do you have that?" His voice was tense.

Talon held the lightsaber out in front of him. Luke reached out and took the lightsaber, inspecting it closely. It felt strange to have his father's Jedi weapon in his grip again. He looked again at Talon but did not wait for an answer to his previous question.

"Where is she?" He forced out, knowing where but needing to make sure.

"New Republic security arrested her a few minutes ago." Talon answered softly.

They were surprised to see a quick flash of anger go across the Jedi Master's face that was just as quickly gone. When Luke did not ask if they knew what was going on, Talon frowned at the Jedi.

"You knew they were going to arrest her?"

"I just found out Talon. I was actually coming here to see her. I had no idea they would move so quickly or I would have contacted her through the Force."

"Luke, why are they doing this? Why did security arrest Mara?"

He hooked Mara's lightsaber onto his belt beside his own, smaller weapon. "The New Republic has decided to prosecute Mara for her crimes when she served as the Emperor's Hand."

They all looked at him with stunned disbelief on their faces. Although they knew Mara had been a servant of the Emperor, they knew that she had finally realized Palpatine had lied to her. She no longer held any allegiance to the struggling remnants of the empire.

"Why now? Why are they doing this?" Just by the stern look on Luke's face, Talon knew this was only going to get worse.

Luke drew in a long breath. "It apparently angered Boris Fey'lya more than we realized when Mara refused to help him decipher the emperor's old records he had recovered."

Talon was flabbergasted. "Fey'lya is behind this? He's having Mara tried for crimes committed years ago because she wouldn't do him a favor?"

Luke nodded. "He took her refusal as a sign of loyalty to the empire and now that want her punished for her service to the empire. It embarrassed him is what I think. It's a personal crusade for him now."

"What about your sister? Does she support this?" Talon's tone as accusitory.

Luke sighed. "Mara being hunted down was a surprise to her."

"You didn't answer me." Talon was pushing but this was important. Leia's position on this subject could be the deciding factor.

Luke shook his head. "I don't know Talon. Leia takes her job very seriously but she does consider Mara a friend. I just don't know since I haven't discussed this in detail with her. It was all kept very quiet. I didn't even know until a few minutes ago."

"Why would they keep it from you?"

"I suppose they thought I would warn Mara. They did not want her to hear about it beforehand."

"So she wouldn't run?" Talon surmised.

"I'm assuming that was their intention." Luke glanced at Talon's two crewmembers who still standing and listening to the conversation. He could feel their concern for their friend. Good, Mara's going to need all the friends she can get. Luke sighed then directed his gaze back to Karrde. " She needs a lawyer Talon."

He wholeheartedly agreed. "I have a good friend here on Coruscant who owes me. I'll contact him and have him meet me at the security headquarters."

Luke wanted Talon to be aware of how important this was. "Talon, they're going to push for her execution. Make sure he's a good lawyer."

Talon inhaled sharply. "They're what? Luke, how the hell do we stop this? They have no proof of anything and Mara doesn't have to incriminate herself." Talon didn't know much about Mara's past but he did know there was no one left from that era of her life. At least he hoped not.

Luke took a deep breath. "Mara's attorney can find out what they have against her. No one's telling me anything at this point, not even Leia."

Talon nodded. "Luke...this Force thing with the two of you. Is she all right?" Mara had only been gone a few moments but Talon knew she was miserable. Mara had too much of a free spirit to be locked in a small cell somewhere.

Luke took a deep breath, reached out towards Mara and encountered her strong barriers. "She's blocking me, Talon, cutting herself off from me. I can't tell anything about her."

"Why would she do that?" Talon was confused. Luke and Mara had been friends for many years now and that sounded like something extreme for her.

"She...probably does not want me to feel what she's feeling right now. She wants her privacy."

Talon nodded. "It was worth a try. I need to get that lawyer and get him to Mara. Will you be there?" Talon knew the Jedi's support would mean a lot to Mara, even if she would never admit it to herself or anyone else.

Luke nodded his head and his unease was apparent. "I'll meet you at Detention Headquarters."

Talon knew this was putting Luke in a very awkward position. He watched as the young man nodded to the two other men and walked toward the building entrance. Talon pulled out his comlink and hoped fervently his friend could help Mara.

Mara was also watching the Magistrate with the skill of a trained observer. Something did not feel right about this entire proceeding. It should have been a simple bail hearing and instead, Mara felt as if she were already on trial.

She leaned closer to Bryce and whispered, "What is taking so long? Why are they discussing this so much?"

Bryce looked at his client and could plainly see that her agitation was growing. He could certainly sympathize with her. "Mara, I do not understand what's going on here any more than you do. This is highly irregular."

Mara started to reply but instead jumped when the Magistrate's gavel once again connected with his tabletop. She mumbled finally and sat back up in her seat.

The Magistrate directed his attention toward Mara's attorney, "Mr. Stanton, do you wish to speak before me?"

"Yes, your honor." Bryce cleared his throat softly and stood at the small table he and Mara were seated at. "Mara Jade has been a friend to the New Republic for over eight years now. In that time, she has proved herself again and again to be a valuable and reliable ally. During this time, Ms. Jade has also established herself as a successful Master Trader. Denying her bail at this time would jeopardize her livelihood as well as violate the rights of all accused persons established under the New Republic Freedom Treaty. We respectfully ask that bail be set immediately for Ms. Jade." Bryce nodded in reverence to the Magistrate then resumed his seat beside Mara.

Mara smiled briefly at the man beside her. She knew he was doing everything in his ability to help her but it bothered her to rely on anyone this much. There was only one person she trusted that much, and he was not here when she needed him most. Mara watched as the New Republic representative, Boris Fey'lya, stood to deliver his address to the court.

"Your Honor, Mara Jade was the personal assassin of the Emperor. She helped the diabolical leader of the empire grow by murdering those who stood in his way. Ms. Jade is a cold blooded, calculating murderess who now has the resources and the ability to flee from persecution of her crimes. I ask in the name of all the victims unable to speak here today, that she not be granted bail or that it be granted in such a sum as to assure her presence for her trial." He also nodded to the Magistrate then returned to his seat.

Mara was stunned at how much the people in this justice room seemed to know about her. She reached out with a small tendril of the Force to gage how the Magistrate was feeling but quickly withdrew from the Force as the waves of anger from the majority of the people in the justice room washed over her. Mara drew a shuddering breath as the Magistrate looked in her direction.

"Would the defendant please rise."

Mara and Bryce obediently stood and waited until the Magistrate began delivering his decision.

"Mara Jade will stand trial in this Justice Room in six weeks time to refute the multiple charges of murder levied by the New Republic against her. Murders that were committed while Ms. Jade was serving Emperor Palpatine in the role of personal assassin."

After reading the trial date and charges to the participates and spectators, the Magistrate looked directly at Mara, " In my opinion, Mara Jade has the connections and the resources to flee from Coruscant instead of standing trial for these alleged atrocities. But I cannot deny her bail because of the freedoms and rights bestowed upon all accused persons under the New Republic Freedom Treaty. Therefore, bail for Ms. Jade is granted."

Mara slowly exhaled the breath she had been holding since the Magistrate had begun talking but wished she hadn't as he continued. "Bail is to be granted to Ms. Jade. However, bail will be set at 100 million credits."

A collective gasp went through the Justice Room at the astronomical figure the Magistrate had just named. Everyone jumped to their feet as some ran out of the Justice Room to be the first to report on the latest development while others hugged one another, happy with the way things were turning out. Fey'lya smugly looked over at Mara and reveled in the shock on her face. Mara returned his stare as she sank into her chair, all color drained from her face. Bryce was just as stunned but reached down and took Mara by the arm. "You must stand up, Mara."

She numbly stood back up and Talon took a step closer to her. Bryce still held onto Mara's arm when the Magistrate finished his decision. "As I'm sure your attorney has explained to you Ms. Jade, the court will require ten percent of the bail in order to release you from jail. Otherwise, you will remain incarcerated until your trail."

Mara stared at him as he did not even attempt to hide his satisfaction at crucifying her while still obeying the written law. Bryce let go of her arm and called her name so she would look at him.

"Mara, we need ten million credits to post bail."

"I don't have those kinds of credits." She replied incrediously.

Bryce looked back at Talon who shook his head. "Even if I sold everything I have, it wouldn't be enough." He was appalled at how things were turning out. Mara was guaranteed a fair trial but nothing else was going to be fair about this.

Bryce took a deep breath. "Mara, if we don't have the credits...you will have to stay in jail."

Mara grasped Bryce by the arms. "No, I can't do that. I have to get out of there. Don't let him do this."

Bryce shook his head. "There's nothing I can do. His decision is final." He carefully extracted his arms from Mara's hands. "I'm sorry."

Mara looked at him and felt her legendary strength begin to fade. This could not be happening to her, not when she was finally getting her life together. "No." She whispered.

The Magistrate rapped on the table to bring order back into a room filled with chaos. "Mr. Stanton, I need your answer. Will Ms. Jade be able to post bail, or should my deputy escort her back to her cell."

Bryce opened his mouth to answer but could not force the words out. He could plainly see what this was doing to the woman beside him. Her shoulders slumped and she continued to whisper no.

"Mr. Stanton," the Magistrate's voice rose in pitch and even Mara's head snapped up as he did, "will Ms. Jade be posting bail?"

"No, your Honor..."

"Yes she will." Everyone turned toward the back of the Justice Room to see who had made such a bold statement and gasped as Luke Skywalker strode through the open doors that had been previously locked.

Two guards stepped toward him as if to restrain him but Luke flicked his hand and they stopped before getting anywhere near him. Everyone stood as Luke strode down the aisle toward the Magistrate, black cape billowing behind him. Leia wanted to call out to him, to stop him but found herself mesmerized by his appearance. Although dressed in his usual black Jedi attire, the addition of a flowing black cape; combined with the aura of power Luke radiated reminded Leia of someone she longed to forget. The Magistrate took a deep breath as the Jedi Master stopped when he drew even with the table that Mara Jade and Bryce Stanton stood by.

"Mara Jade will be posting bail today." Luke's voice was calm yet no one doubted the determination behind the words.

Mara watched Luke closely as he addressed the Magistrate. She too had been reminded of a dark clad Sith Lord when Luke had entered the room. She wondered briefly if Luke had done it to remind everyone of who he was and what he was capable of. The corner of Mara's lips turned up in a slight smile. Luke Skywalker was not as naïve as people still believed him to be.

"Master Skywalker, " the Magistrate drawled, " perhaps you should inquire as to how much bail is before you so gallantly agree to do this for Ms. Jade."

"I will pay whatever the bail is." Another simple statement uttered that caused a ripple of ahs from the crowd.

The Magistrate smiled, thinking he had the smug Jedi right where he wanted him. "Master Skywalker, you are prepared to pay Ms. Jade's bail?"

"With all due respect Magistrate, I believe we have already established that fact."

Mara hid her full-fledged grin behind her hand and glanced back at Talon whose arched eyebrow belayed his surprise at Luke's comment. The Magistrate shook his head. "Very well, Master Skywalker will pay this court the sum of ten million credits." He waited for Luke to gasp or show surprise but instead he looked at the credit transfer datapad he held and quickly typed in a number. After authorizing the transfer, Luke approached the Magistrate's table and laid the datapad before him.

"Ms. Jade's bail has now been posted."

The Magistrate looked at him in shock. Luke refrained from smiling as he turned and walked back to his original position in the aisle. His eyes swept across Boris Fey'lya but he did not look at Mara. The hushed silence in the justice room erupted into furious murmuring about the Jedi Master having such a large sum of credits. Bryce looked at Mara who only shrugged. She was just as amazed as the rest of them but not from Luke paying her bail but from him being here. She should never have doubted his friendship, even when she wasn't being a good friend to him. The Magistrate looked at the datapad then back at Luke when it was verified the credits had been transferred into the court's account. He knew to choose his next words very carefully.

"This is a rather large sum of credits, Master Skywalker." His meaning was obvious to Luke and everyone else present.

Luke waited until the room had quieted before he answered. "You question that these credits are not mine to spend as I see fit?"

Mara found herself grinning again, but this time with pride, as Luke forced the Magistrate into a corner. Would the man be brave enough to call the Jedi Master a thief?

Of course I do not doubt the credits are yours, Jedi Skywalker. I just did not wish any further ...unpleasantries in these proceedings." He attempted to smooth things over a bit.

For the first time since entering the Justice Room, Luke Skywalker smiled, "Magistrate, considering the trend of this court to condemn people to death for alleged crimes, I would not subject myself to persecution by the New Republic for spending credits that are not mine. "

The shock the Magistrate felt at Luke's words reverberated through the justice room. The Magistrate decided that he had had enough of being made a fool of by Luke. He quickly picked up his gavel. "Ms. Jade is to be released on bail with the trail date set six weeks from today. Dismissed." When the gavel hit the table, everyone rushed from the Justice Room to spread the word. Boris Fey'lya swept past Luke in an angry huff and stopped at Leia who had bounded from her seat and was waiting for the people to rush by so she could reach her brother.

"Madam Chief of State, you really should hold your brother on a tighter leash." Leia watched as he stormed from the room.

Han leaned closer to her. "I'll wait here for you." Leia nodded and when the last person scurried by her, she stepped into the aisle and called out to Luke.

Luke heard someone call out his name right before he was grabbed by the arm and twisted around. "How dare you?" The familiar voice attacked him.

Luke looked at his twin calmly. "What did I do this time?"

"I agreed to stay out of this and you should have done the same." Leia was angrier than Luke had seen her in a long while. He hated doing this to her.

"Leia, Mara is my friend. She is no different than Corran or Wedge and I would have done the same thing for them."

"They would never be in this position." Leia angrily spat out.

Luke nodded, his own anger peaking. "You're right. The New Republic would never treat them the way Mara Jade had been treated. I will not stand by and let her die to satisfy some bureaucrats whim."

Leia took a deep breath. "I know she's your friend Luke. Don't you think I'm grateful to her for protecting my children? I don't want Mara to die." Leia's gaze shifted from Luke to the woman a few feet away. The woman that would die in a few weeks time unless something drastically changed.

Luke knew his sister meant no harm to Mara, she was just bound by her obligations to her job. "Then don't try to stop me when I'm helping her, Leia."

Leia's gaze snapped back to her brother's face and the pleading in his voice. "You're aligning yourself with Mara and against the New Republic. This will end up hurting you if you continue."

"And Mara will die if I don't continue. My reputation is nothing compared to her life. I will help her and I'm sorry if you or anyone else does not agree with me."

Leia knew it would be useless to argue with him. Luke's very essence was to help those in need and at the moment, Mara fit into the needy category. Suddenly Leia's eyes narrowed and she pointed her finger at Luke. "Where did you get ten million credits?"

Luke brushed a stray hair from his forearm and tried his best not to look at his increasingly agitated sister. "It doesn't matter."

"Luke, that's a large sum of credits."

"You probably have that much stashed away. It's not such a large amount."

Leia began tapping her foot. "Don't try to change the subject. Where did the money come from?"

"It really doesn't matter, Leia."

"Yes it does. Did you take out a loan? No, not for that large a sum. I know you don't have that kind of money, unless you have a hidden account…" Leia gasped and everyone wondered what was going on when her hands flew to her mouth.

Luke knew everyone was staring at them and he could feel his sister's shock resonating through the Force. "Leia, we'll talk about this later."

"I...I can't believe you would do this. How could you touch his credits?" Leia stared at Luke as if he were a stranger. "How could you bring him into this?"

Luke suddenly felt defensive about the entire situation. "Do you think this was easy for me, Leia? Even though I know the credits are ours…" Luke stopped as Leia's finger reappeared in his face.

"No, Luke. The credits are yours. I want no part of it."

Luke sighed and wished for the hundredth time that his sister was not so stubborn. "Fine, even though I knew the credits are mine, I still wondered if it was wrong to use them but I saw no other way." Luke stepped closer to Leia, "Besides, it's only fitting that father's credits help Mara when he's partly to blame for her being in this mess."

Leia's initial shock was wearing off but she still hated the idea of Luke using Vader's credits. Leia reached out and gently rubbed the side of his face. "I understand what you're saying brother, but I don't agree. However, this was and is your decision. But what will happen if someone finds out where the credits came from?"

"No one has found out yet and it does not matter if they do. It is a simple inheritance left by our father." Luke wasn't about to make excuses for having the money.

Leia shook her head. "I meant what I said when we learned of ...Vader's wealth all those years ago. He was your father, it's your inheritance." She frowned at the saddened expression on his face. "Luke, you know how I felt about him."

"No, it's not that. I've always wondered if it bothered you about his will."

"That he left everything to you? Of course not." Leia smiled, remembering how upset Luke had been when Vader's substantial estate had been left to him alone. Vader's most trusted friend had approached Luke many years ago with all the information and Luke had immediately insisted that she take half of everything.

To avoid arguing over it, Luke had left the credits in Vader's hidden accounts and they had not broached the subject again, until now. Despite the fact that she was angry with him, Luke was still worried that her feelings had been hurt.

Leia sighed. "He didn't know I was his daughter until right before his death. Besides, Bail Organa provided for me. He was my father Luke. I'm glad that you cared for Vader but I truly did not and I want nothing to do with his property or credits. They are yours."

Luke nodded, still bothered by the fact that she would not take half but understanding why she would not. It also bothered him that it had upset Leia so badly that he had used the credits. The ten million credits were almost half of what was in the secret accounts Darth Vader had bequeathed to his son and although Luke had never touched any of it in the 15 years he had known about it, until now.

"Then accept the fact that I used them for Mara's bail and I will use the rest in her defense if I have to." He stated.

Leia's expression tightened. "Just be sure to save enough for your defense when she drags you into her twisted little world." Leia stared at him for a moment longer then marched from the room in a manner reminiscent of the spoiled Alderaanian princess he had know so long ago. Luke's eyes met Han's and he chuckled softly when Han grinned and gave him the thumbs up before following Leia out the door.

Chapter 2

Mara Jade couldn't help but feel a twinge of glee when Luke Skywalker had entered the Justice Room. As had occurred many times in the past, when all was lost and she had no hope, Luke would step in and help her see her way clear. Although considering the way they had parted the last time, Mara wondered why Luke continued to be her friend. He deserved a better friend than what she had been to him. There was no sense in worrying about the New Republic driving a wedge between them when she constantly did so herself. Mara watched the exchange between Luke and his sister while the Justice Room emptied out. She knew Leia would not be happy that Luke had put himself on the line to bail her out. Bryce started toward the exit but stopped to wait for Talon as he stepped up beside Mara.

"We're going back to my apartment, Mara." Her said.

Mara turned slightly to look at her former employer and good friend. "I'll be right there, Talon. I want to speak with Skywalker first."

Talon glanced at the Jedi whose sister was still scolding him. "I'll see the both of you later then." He knew the depth of Luke's loyalty to Mara and fully expected the young man to be heavily involved in planning Mara's defense.

Mara absentmindedly nodded as her attention was focused once again on Luke and his sister. Leia's anger seemed to be gone and Mara longed to reach out with the Force to see what their moods were but knew that would not be wise. Ever since she had been arrested, Mara had kept her barriers around her mind tightly woven. She had not even allowed Luke entrance when this entire mess had started and he wanted to reassure her. She had just been too emotional and needed the solitude to think. And solitude had been exactly what she had gotten.

Luke, Talon and Bryce had been allowed to visit her right after she had been arrested but then only Bryce had been allowed back. Not that Luke would have returned anyway. Not after the argument they had had during that first visit. The argument that Mara still needed to clear up with her friend...

Two days ago
Coruscant Detention Cell

Mara sat on the edge of her cot and looked around nervously at her dismal surroundings with her cell consisting of three walls of steel bars with the fourth wall being stone. The entire area was well lit but it was the type of place that still reeked of darkness and despair.

She had only been brought to the cell and left alone a few minutes ago. Before that, she had been subjected to having a retinal scan done and all her weapons confiscated. Mara shivered, remembering what a thorough job the young security officer had done. He had found all her hiding places and seemed to enjoy doing so. Letting him search her and allowing herself to be locked up went against every instinct she had. Running had crossed her mind but with the New Republic being so large nowadays, there would be nowhere to run. Besides, the NR could prove nothing. She had never discussed her past life with anyone, except Luke. There had been times when Luke's intervention had been the only thing making it possible for her to sleep. Whether it was trying to calm her after a nightmare or teaching her how to prevent having them, Luke knew in intimate detail many of the things that still plagued her sleep.

It had bothered Mara tremendously that any person would know so much about her, but she had to admit, it did feel good to be able to talk with someone about the dark deeds she had committed. It still felt strange letting Luke see her sins but never once had he condemned her for the past. Now the New Republic seemed intent of on condemning and executing her for her life as the Emperor's Hand. Mara had heard the security members talking and knew full well that the NR was out for her blood. Mara growled slightly as an image of Borsk Fey'lya came to mind. It has to be him doing this. He's the only one stupid enough to come after me and think he could get away with it, she thought. Mara stiffened her back and resolved to see this through. If for no other reason than to see Borsk get what was coming to him.

The double doors leading to prisoner cells swung open and Mara stood to see Talon Karrde and a man she didn't know enter the room. Her eyes briefly met Luke Skywalker's gaze as he entered the room behind a guard. She felt Luke's sense brush against hers but she kept her barriers intact. There was no way she would let him feel how unsettled this experience had made her. She was not surprised to see him. However, she was surprised at the stern look on all three men's faces. It must be worse than I thought.

The guard opened her cell and ushered the men inside without ever taking his eyes off Mara. Her reputation had apparently proceeded her and he was taking no chances. The guard stopped Luke as he started to step through the open cell door.

"You can't take those into the cell." He pointed to the two lightsabers hanging from Luke's hip. "You should not have them in this room at all."

Luke looked at the lightsabers then at the guard. Since he did not intend to let anyone touch his or Mara's lightsaber, especially Mara's, there was only one alternative.

Luke hated having to manipulate another person but he could see no other choice.

"You do not need to take my lightsabers." He spoke softly but with an authority not often heard from him.

The guard blinked rapidly. "I do not need to take your lightsabers."

"You can go now."

"I can go now."

The guard allowed Luke to enter the cell and then locked it behind him. He obediently exited the room and Luke turned to see Mara glaring at him.

"What was I suppose to do?" He threw his arms up in exasperation. Mara was on trial for murder and she was upset that he had used the Force.

Mara pointed at him. "I do not want any more lectures about Force usage from you."

Luke decided the best thing to do would be to ignore her. Mara was strung tighter then he had seen her in a while, and that bothered him. Luke walked over to the cell bar wall and casually leaned against it while Mara continued to glare at him.

Talon wasn't in the mood for another of their tirades. "Mara, this is Bryce Stanton, an attorney and friend of mine. You can trust him"

Mara shook his hand. "Are you any good?"

Talon's mouth dropped and Luke quickly covered his smirk with his hand. Bryce chuckled softly. "I believe I am."

Mara paced around the cell then looked at Talon's lawyer friend. "They are charging me with the crimes I supposedly committed when I was the Emperor's Hand?"

"Yes, we've spoken with Borsk Fey'lya and he filled us in on why they arrested you."

"Fey'lya!" Mara's temper exploded as she once again heard the name of the rodent that insisted on making her life miserable. Now he was out to take her very life. "I knew it had to be him behind this."

Bryce eyed his client carefully. "Apparently, his hatred of you runs deep enough to bring these allegations against you."

Mara looked at her new attorney after that comment. "Are you going to ask me if the charges are true?" She demanded. Even though Talon said she could trust this man, Mara Jade's trust was not easy to come by.

Bryce chuckled softly. Talon had warned him about the fireball standing in front of him but one could not appreciate how intense she was until actually meeting her. The hard, calculating look in her eyes left no doubt in his mind that she was indeed capable of what she had been accused of. "No, Ms. Jade, I'm not going to ask you. It would make my job easier if I knew the entire story but I will not ask you."

Mara nodded at his insinuation and resumed pacing. "I'll think about it."

Bryce knew there was too much work to do, so he did not wish to press that issue with her. "All right. The New Republic is charging you with murder for the assassinations you committed for the Emperor while his Hand."

Mara spun around to face him, the uncertainty of the whole situation making her angry. "How can they do that? There is no proof that I was even the Emperor's Hand and I know there are no witnesses."

Luke cringed at the pride barely detectable in Mara's voice at having left no witnesses to her crimes. Mara did not notice his discomfort as she continued to demand answers. "I can tell by the looks on all your faces that this is serious. How can they charge me with murder when there is no proof or witnesses?"

"Borsk Fey'lya insists that he has a witness, with impeccable credentials, that the jury will have to believe. They plan to Force him to reveal everything he knows about you and they believe that's enough to convict you."

"A witness? No one knew me when the Emperor was alive."

"No but..."

"Who is it? Who could possibly know anything about me?"

Bryce's eyes slowly traveled to the side of the cell where a lone figure was leaning against the bars. "They plan to use Luke Skywalker to convict you."

Mara staggered backwards and Talon slowly stood. Luke pushed away from the bars and took a step closer to the group. He had learned of the New Republic's plan in the meeting that he, Talon and Bryce had just concluded with Borsk Fey'lya and his team of prosecutors. It sickened Luke that the same government he had risked his life again and again to build would use him as a tool to destroy his best friend.

Bryce also stood. "The prosecution is going to rely on Luke's knowledge of your past to convict you, Mara."

Luke's gaze met Mara's and her anger went well beyond what he had imagined. He made no move to interfere as her lightsaber flew from its resting-place on his hip and into her hand. Luke recoiled at the fury and pain in her eyes as she advanced toward him, ignoring Talon's pleas not to do this. "How could you do this to me Skywalker?" Mara demanded.

Luke had not heard Mara growl at him in such a way since they had left Myrkr. Yes, she had been angry with him since then but not like this. Luke stepped close enough to Mara for her to strike him down at any minute, trying to show her that he trusted her and to make Mara understand that he knew nothing about this prior to the meeting was the only thing that mattered to him. He could not and would not lose the most important friendship he had ever had because of the NR.

"I did not know about this until the meeting the three of us had with Borsk Fey'lya right before we came in here."

Luke's words were almost drowned out by the sound of the blue blade hissing to life as Mara thumbed the control. Luke took a deep breath but did not back away as Mara brought the blade closer to his neck.

"If you're not helping them, then why did they even think of you? No one would know that you could possibly have any information about that time. No one would know that you had seen my nightmares and relived most of it with me. You and I are the only two people who know anything about my past."

"I have not discussed anything I know with anyone. I would never do that to you," Luke said slowly, willing her to believe him.

"How could he know that you had been in my head? You betrayed me!" Luke didn't flinch when she brought the blade up to rest directly under his chin.

"Mara." Talon stepped closer to the two Jedi.

"Stay back Talon." Luke was having a hard enough time handling Mara without having to worry about Talon. "Just stay back."

Talon couldn't let this go on any further. He had seen Mara threaten Luke numerous times, but this time seemed different. Mara was not in total control of her emotions and she felt betrayed by the one man Talon knew she trusted.

Luke tilted his head backwards as Mara lifted the humming blade higher. "I would never betray you," he whispered only for her to hear.

Mara stared at him for a moment but did not thumb the saber off. "How else could they know?"

Luke closed his eyes for a second and Talon used that opportunity to catch Mara's attention.

"Mara, Luke asked Borsk why he thought he would know anything about your past."

Mara kept her eyes glued to Luke, who was having a hard time keeping his neck tilted at such an angle to avoid her blade.

Talon hurried to continue, to make Mara understand before she prematurely ended the Jedi Master's life. "Fey'lya mentioned something about sitting beside the two of you after a Trader's Alliance meeting a few weeks ago." Talon wasn't sure on the details and it wasn't like Luke could speak up at the moment. Talon wished Luke would step backwards to get away from Mara's blade. He was sure his skin had to be burning from the intense heat. Of course, Mara might see that as an offensive mood and do something she would regret later. "Mara, he overhead the two of you talking about your days as the emperor's hand plaguing you in nightmares."

Mara struggled to remember that day. She had been without sleep for days before she had arrived on Coruscant. As soon as the meeting was over, Luke had confronted her about her appearance, knowing full well what was wrong. He had ushered her out to the patio where everyone had gathered to bicker over the happenings at the meeting. She had admitted that her deeds as the emperor's hand were what her nightmares stemmed from while Luke had expressed his understanding since he had seen those things when their minds had joined and her nightmares had drawn him in. Mara's face paled as the irony of the entire mess dawned on her. She and Luke had given Borsk Fey'lya everything he needed on that day to convict her without even knowing it.

Luke could feel the shift in her emotions without even utilizing the Force. "Mara, there's no way we could've known what we discussed could lead to this." He had to know that Mara understood. "I would not do this to you."

Mara turned the saber off but still glared at Luke. Her head kept reminding her that his betrayal was the only way the New Republic would have to have had his help to do this to her while her heart screamed out at her that this was Luke who would never lie to anyone.

Luke stepped closer to his friend and pleaded with her. "Mara, do you believe me?"

She still held the saber as her eyes dulled from the fading anger. Luke did not like the doubt he saw take its place. Luke's voice grew more insistent. "Do you believe me, Mara?"

She turned to walk away but Luke grabbed her by the arm. Turning her around and knocking the saber from her hand, Luke pulled her up close to him. "Do you believe me?" He needed desperately to hear that she believed in him.

Mara stepped away to break his hold on her. "I don't know what to believe." She whispered.

Mara did not see the empty look in Luke's eyes as he reached out and Mara's saber flew back to his hand. He hooked it to his belt and brushed past Mara on his way toward the door. Using the Force, the cell door swung open and the Jedi Master exited the cell. The door swung back shut and Mara flinched when the lock clicked loudly back into place. No one said as word as Luke pushed open the double doors leading back into detention headquarters and disappeared.

Mara Jade had made a terrible mistake on that day. She knew Luke could forgive her for letting her temper take over and accuse him. But would he be able to forgive her for the rest? I have to make sure he understands that I believe him, trust him. He has to forgive me, she vowed.

Mara took a deep breath as Luke's sister rushed from the Justice Room. When he finally turned around and his gaze met Mara's, she steeled herself for his anger and disappointment but instead, all she saw was concern. Concern for her. Mara couldn't help but smile as Luke took the few steps that brought him closer to Mara. Luke openly gazed at her, making sure she was still in one piece and not harmed. He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Mara."

Luke laid his hand on Mara's shoulder and without any hesitation; she closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his hand. She carefully lowered the barriers surrounding her mind and reached out toward Luke. It felt strange at first as it was the first mental contact the two had had since Mara had returned to Coruscant. Luke felt Mara's unease at the way her legal battle was progressing and her regret at putting barriers between them and letting him walk out of her cell two days ago. His heart swelled at how much his friendship meant to her and how she had missed him.

Mara rarely apologized to anyone but felt it was the only thing to do in this situation. She had overreacted and let her pride rule her.

*I'm the one who needs to apologize here. You are my one true friend and I will never doubt that again.*

*We'll get you out of this, Mara, I promise. I won't let them play with your life like this.* Mara raised her head up and opened her eyes to draw strength from his determination.

Luke finally withdrew his hand from her shoulder and they stepped awkwardly away from one another, embarrassed by the rare and openly honest display of their friendship.

Mara reached out and ran her hand over Luke's cloak. "It looks like your ploy worked rather well with this cloak."

"Ploy, what do you mean?" Luke struggled to keep his face straight when Mara punched him on the shoulder.

"I know you too well for that, Skywalker. You wanted to throw them off center and maybe put a little fear into some of them."

The two of them started walking toward the room's exit. "Mara, that would not be an appropriate thing for a Jedi to do."

Mara suddenly remembered something else. "Oh, and the credits." She stopped walking to look at him again. "Thank you for posting my bail. I did not want to go back to the cell."

"I know you didn't. You don't deserve what's happening here."

Mara shrugged. "You used the credits your father left you in his will?"

Luke was surprised at first that she knew but then remembered that he and Mara could not keep secrets from each other. He vaguely remembered a few years back when he had been thinking about his father and she picked up on it. "Yes, I did."

Mara smirked, knowing he was wondering if a lecture were to follow. "Thank you."

Luke never stopped being amazed by this woman. She seemed to understand his complicated feelings about his father more than he did at times.

Mara started walking again so Luke fell into step beside her. "You're welcome Mara and about me telling them what I know..."

"Skywalker, you are a Jedi Master. You won't lie for me. You can't and I won't let you."

Luke took her by the arm to stop her from walking then he stepped in front of her. "I will not let them execute you." The anger in his voice made Mara remember exactly who she was dealing with and what he was capable of if pushed into a corner. She would not let Luke destroy himself over her problems.

Mara jerked her arm lose. "And I will not let you destroy yourself by lying for me. The New Republic knows that as principle and honor, you would not be able to lie to them. They are counting on you being forced to say yes when they ask if I have ever murdered anyone for the Emperor."

"And I won't say it."

"Yes, you will. I cannot allow you to compromise everything that Luke Skywalker stands for, that Luke Skywalker is, just to save my neck."

"Mara, if I answer them, they will kill you. How am I supposed to live with that?"

Mara took a deep breath. "We just have to figure out a way you won't have to tell them anything."

They resumed their walking toward the exit. Luke hated the tension the situation was forcing between them. "Maybe I could say you were confessing to me and as a holy man, I have to keep your confidence."

Mara laughed as they stepped out of the room and into the grand foyer of the enormous building. "Skywalker, you're not a holy man."

"How long would it take me to become one?" He asked with a smirk but his eyes shone with deep seriousness.

Mara continued to laugh as Luke tried to convince her he was being serious.

Talon and Bryce were both deep in thought and almost missed the entrance to the building where Talon's apartment was housed. Once inside the apartment, Talon collapsed into a chair.

"Bryce. Tell me the brutally honest truth. Is Mara going to be all right?" He asked.

The pain in Talon's voice made his friend cringe. This was not a man that was asking about an employee. This was a man asking if his friend would be alive at the end of this ordeal and Bryce dreaded what he had to say.

"Talon, if Luke Skywalker gets on the witness stand, Mara is as good as dead."

Talon stared at his longtime friend and sometime lawyer. "No doubt in your mind?"

Bryce wearily sank into a chair opposite Talon. "If a Jedi Master says Mara Jade killed people while serving as the Emperor's Hand, the jury will believe him."

Talon snorted at that. "Luke's legendary principles and honesty are going to be Mara's downfall. How difficult is that going to be for him to live with."

Bryce was still uncertain about the Jedi Master and Master Trader's relationship. Luke had been with them every step of the way until Mara had tried to kill him. Luke had survived the encounter but had ended up wounded by Mara's apparent lack of faith in him. Bryce had thought for sure that Mara had alienated her friend but then he had shown up in the Justice Room. Not only had he shown up but he had defied everyone and posted the bail that Mara did not have. It did not take a smart person to see that people did not like Luke showing support for Mara.

"Talon," Bryce struggled with the wording of his question, "are Luke and Mara more than friends?" He watched as Talon's somber expression gave way to a cynical smile and a hearty laugh. Bryce's brow furrowed. "Why is that funny, Talon?"

Talon shrugged. "Bryce, that's the question that everyone in this galaxy has been asking themselves for years."

"But your friends with them both. You should know."

"Yes, but Luke and Mara are intensely secret about each other. I think that they are only friends but...their friendship is stronger than any I've ever seen. When one is in trouble, the other one is always there to help. I can't explain it to you. They're in perfect sync with each other, most of the time."

"So I can trust him?"

"Trust Luke Skywalker? Are you kidding? You can absolutely trust him. Where Mara is concerned, don't ever doubt him. Luke will not let anything happen to Mara."

"He may not be able to stop it." Bryce countered.

Talon sat up on the edge of his seat. "What would happen to Luke if he refused to testify against Mara?"

Bryce knew that would not be an option for them. "The New Republic wants Mara Jade, Talon. Or perhaps I should say Borsk Fey'lya desperately wants her punished. They would destroy Luke if he stood in their way, Talon. They would revoke his rights as a citizen. He would not be allowed to participate in government functions. No more Trade Council, no more Jedi Academy...he would be banned from everything that he knows. They would probably not even acknowledge him as a Jedi. He would lose everything."

Talon stared at Bryce in horror. "You think they would do that to the man who is a hero in everyone's eyes?"

"If he made a mockery of this case by refusing to do his duty, they would use him as an example. I have no doubt that they would do it. Fey'lya said as much."

Talon remembered the Bothan's warning to Luke about not cooperating. Talon knew how Mara would react to the New Republic going after Luke. "Mara would never allow that to happen to Luke. She would confess to murder and die before she let him lose his entire existence."

"Then we have to figure out how to get Mara out of this trial altogether..."

"...or keep Luke from testifying without disobeying the New Republic."

Both men looked toward the doorway when the buzzer sounded then Talon slowly stood, "And we only have six weeks to do it in." He opened the door and stepped aside to allow Mara and Luke to enter.

Bryce didn't answer. He didn't need to. They both knew the odds were against them. But with Mara's life hanging in the balance, they had to try. Bryce now understood that if Mara went to trial, not only could her life be destroyed, so could the life of the young man that was now following Mara into the room.

Chapter 3
Talon Karrde's Apartment

Mara Jade growled in anger and sent the datapad she was reading flying across the room. Talon yelped and barely missed getting hit by the hurling object as it crashed into the wall beside his head then fell harmlessly to the floor beside his chair.

"Watch it, Mara! Not all of us have those Jedi reflexes." He yelled out.

Mara closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths before she answered Talon. "I'm sorry that I almost hit you. I should have looked to see where I was throwing it."

Talon grinned as he picked up the offensive datapad. She hadn't apologized for throwing it but just where it landed. Typical Mara. He strode over to his friend and handed the pad back to here.

"No harm done. Do we need to take a break?" Mara looked at Talon like he was speaking a different language.

"A break? Talon, my trial starts in a few hours. You know, the one where they intend on killing me afterwards. I don't need a break, I need…I need a miracle."

Mara's voice trailed off and Talon squeezed her arm reassuringly just as Luke entered the room from the kitchen. He was sipping something in a cup while reading a paper and not paying much attention to anyone else. He snorted in disgust and crunched the paper up angrily in his hand. Talon had never seen him quite so haggard looking and tense. It went beyond tense. Luke looked as if he could explode at any minute with Mara's tolerance stretched even thinner. It had been a stressful, non-stop few weeks. They had all practically lived in Talon's apartment during that time. Talon glanced at his chrono, which Mara noticed.

"How much longer?" She asked but not really wanting to hear the answer.

Talon looked around the room at the piles upon piles of datapads they had been scouring through, looking for any way to stop this trial. "About three hours until you're due in court."

Mara nodded and walked out onto the balcony. The sun was just barely peeking out from behind the horizon and a gentle breeze blew her hair back away from tired eyes. As the time had wound down and her trial approached, Mara had found it difficult to maintain her optimism that she would not be executed.

Luke stood perfectly still beside Talon, his exhausted eyes never leaving Mara. He wanted to reach out and help take away her increasing fear but Mara had once again barricaded her mind from him. No amount of coaxing from him had convinced her not to shut herself off from his mental touch.

Talon began pacing around the room, suddenly furious. For six weeks they had poured over every document, legal and Jedi, that they could find hoping to find a way to stop this insane trial. For all intent and purposes, they could find no way to do so.

"Bryce, our time is up. Is there nothing we can do?" Talon slumped into a seat, mentally and physically exhausted.

"I'm sorry Talon. There is no way to get her out of this trial and I cannot find anyway to block the NR from forcing Luke to testify against her."

"Then I'll lie." Luke stated and sat his cup down on a side table. Just saying that he would lie caused a tiny flutter in his stomach that he quickly pushed down.

Mara angrily stormed back into the room when she heard those words. Her eyes no longer pale with worry but burning bright with an intense anger.

"No you won't! There is no way you could ever look your students or yourself in the eye again if you lied. Luke Skywalker is not capable of such a thing and you most certainly will not attempt to do so on my account."

"This is your life we're talking about Mara!" The past six weeks were beginning to wear on Luke. He had to stop this, even if sacrificing himself to do so.

"I am aware of that Skywalker." She stopped for a moment and tried to calm down, not wanting to attack the person who was trying to help her. "You cannot and will not lie. You are a Jedi, Luke."

Luke's expression softened, knowing she was right. As much as he wanted to, he was not sure he could pull it off. And Leia would know he was lying as would all his students and teachers at the academy. He would not be able to hide his lie from them and it would be a shame that he would never be able to live with.

Mara was thankful that he was willing to do the impossible for her but she would not allow him to do this. "It would not work, Luke. But thank you."

Luke's brow furrowed at her use of his first name. He could feel that this was not right. Mara Jade was not supposed to die this way. He stepped around Mara and walked toward Talon and Mara's lawyer.

"Bryce, is there anyway to stop this trial?" Bryce was surprised at the renewed strength in the Jedi's voice.

No Luke, the NR has every right to bring up charges against Mara. They have followed the letter of the law on every turn. I can't get the trial dismissed. There is no legal basis to do so."

Luke paced in front of the two men. "All right, so we go to trial. They are relying solely on my knowledge of Mara's past activities to convict her, correct?"

"They have one or two people who will say they've heard Mara mention having been the emperor's hand but that's still no proof. They need you to convict her. People respect you tremendously and will believe any thing you tell them."

Luke snorted at that. "I would not go that far. So the only recourse we have is that I not testify or lie."

Mara perched on the arm of the sofa where no one was sitting and her emerald eyes narrowed at his comment. "And we have just established that lying is out of the question."

Luke glared at her briefly then continued his line of thinking. "So that only leaves me not testifying."

Bryce sighed. "Yes, you could refuse but they would prosecute you for that. You would lose all your privileges as a New Republic citizen, you wouldn't be acknowledged as a Jedi Knight and there would be no contact at all with the academy. You cannot refuse to do this. They will crucify you."

Mara was shaking her head. "You're not going to lie for me and you're not going to give up everything you have worked your entire life for."

Luke's patience finally snapped. "Don't tell me what I can and cannot do."

Mara jumped to her feet and her temper instantly matching Luke's. "Well somebody has to tell you what to do for your own good."

Luke stepped closer to her until they were face to face but still yelling. "And you're certainly good at telling people what to do, aren't you Jade?"

Mara shoved Luke backwards. "I'm trying to keep you from making a big mistake, Skywalker."

She reached out to shove him again but Luke's hands caught hers and pushed her away. "I do not need you to protect me and I will decide what is a mistake and what is not."

Bryce was watching them in amazement as they continued arguing and shoving each other around. Talon watched them for only a moment; he had seen this type of scene played out too many times between these two. He glanced at Bryce who seemed enthralled with them and chuckled softly.

"I warned you what it's like with the two of them. They push each other's buttons better than any married couple I've ever seen."

Bryce slowly sat up in his seat with his eyes never leaving the bickering couple before him. He pushed himself up to his feet and grabbed a datapad lying on a nearby table. He quickly pressed a few keys then cursed himself under his breath.

Talon stood up quickly when Bryce broke out into laugher. "Bryce, are you all right?"

Bryce looked from Talon to Luke and Mara who were going at it even stronger. Luke had heard Talon's question to Bryce so when he looked over Mara's shoulder at the lawyer, the retort she had planned for Skywalker died on her lips. She followed Luke's gaze and turned to see Talon take Bryce by the arm with Bryce shaking his head and laughing.

"What's wrong with you?" Talon asked.

Bryce continued to laugh and Mara became concerned. "Uh, Bryce, it's way too late for me to get another attorney. Don't wig out on me now."

Bryce looked back and forth from him to Mara. "I can't believe I didn't think of this before."

That immediately got all their attentions. Talon shook his head. "Think of what? Did you think of a way to help Mara?"

That seemed to snap Bryce out of his amazed stage. "Yes."

Mara barely dared to believe she had heard him right. "You have a way to get me out of this trial?"

"Not exactly."

When Mara's eyes narrowed and she advanced toward him, Bryce realized his mistake. "But I've remembered a way that Luke will not have to reveal the things he's seen from your past. And without his testimony, the NR will probably just dismiss the case."

"A way that will not damage Skywalker's reputation?"

"Yes!"

Talon groaned. "For Sith's sake, just tell us."

"It's very simple. The two of you have to get married."

Talon burst out laughing while Luke and Mara both stared at Bryce.

Mara finally managed to croak "what?"

Bryce continued, "It's an ancient law actually but the New Republic has never declared it null and void so we can use it. Spouses do not have to incriminate each other."

Talon slapped Bryce on the back. "You heard the man. If the two of you get married, Luke doesn't have to testify, they dismiss the trial and Mara goes free."

Luke and Mara continued to stare at the lawyer and Talon while they began discussing what they would have to do.

Mara snapped out of her stupor when she heard the word marriage license. "Wait just a minute here!" Everyone in the room jumped and Mara was assured that she had their attention.

Talon was ecstatic. "Mara, this is perfect. You can avoid this entire mess just by marrying Luke."

Luke finally found his voice. "Do I have a say in this?" He began backing away from the group.

Mara inhaled sharply and watched him try to retreat. "So I wouldn't be good enough for the Jedi Master?"

"I didn't say you wouldn't. I would just like to be asked and not told."

"You sound like a woman, Skywalker." Mara's voice dripped with sarcasm.

Bryce gathered up his overcoat and handed Talon his. "The two of you need to seriously discuss this. The NR would watch you very carefully so you would have to come across to everyone as a happily married couple."

Mara snorted. "I'm not marrying anyone."

"Either you marry Luke or the NR will continue with the trial and will then execute you. It's your choice." Bryce stood tapping his foot against the floor.

Mara glanced over at Luke whose complexion was beginning to return to normal. "Marry Farmboy or be executed by the NR. Hmm, can I think about it?"

Talon stepped forward. "Mara!"

She sighed. "How long would we have to stay married?"

"At least a year, probably longer."

Luke was still not sure this would work. "But what would stop the New Republic from going after Mara again when we became divorced?"

Bryce could see that Luke was the type of person that left no open ends. "Even though Mara's trial has not technically started, she has been formally charged with her crimes. Those were read at the bail hearing and if the case is dismissed, she can never be charged with them again."

Luke took a deep breath. "But they could charge her with other crimes?"

Bryce was still insistent on this idea. "No because the present case against her includes any and all crimes committed while serving as the Emperor's Hand. They did that so they could include everything she had done in that time period to stack up charges against her. But that was a mistake on their part. "

Luke understood what he was saying. "Because had the NR just charged her with one crime at a time, they could charge her at any time with any crime she committed for Palpatine."

"Correct. As it stands now, if this crime is dismissed, the NR cannot charge her with anything she did during her stint as Emperor's Hand. And that is because of the way they worded the charges."

Mara had been listening to Luke's questions and it seemed as if this might work. The New Republic in its haste and determination to pin as much as they could on her, had made a crucial mistake. "So we just have to stay married long enough for the NR to believe that we were not just married to stop my trial?"

"That's the only way the two of you could get in trouble. You would have to stay married long enough to prove that it was a real marriage and not a hoax." Bryce knew this was a lot of information for the two of them to digest at once.

"Talon and I will leave the two of you alone to talk about it while he go check on what we would need to do. By no means is this an easy way out. You will be married and you need to think about what that will entail."

Mara only nodded while Luke stayed perfectly still. When the door shut behind Talon and Bryce, Mara sunk into the closest chair.

"We are not doing this Skywalker." Luke slowly walked over and sat down on the corner of the low, decorative table directly in front of Mara.

"And why aren't we?" Mara chuckled until she realized he meant what he said.

"You can't possibly be serious. There's no way you and I could marry each other."

Luke looked nervously around the room before his gaze finally settled on the woman he intended on making his wife. "I will do whatever it takes to save you, to keep you from being executed. I…I don't want to lose your friendship Mara. I'm not sure what I would do without you."

Mara stared at him for a minute before sitting forward in her seat until they were almost touching. "I know you well enough Farmboy to know that your biggest dream is to have a wife and children. Committing to me would keep you from finding what you want, what you deserve. We don't know how long we'd be stuck with each other. Besides, you're probably one of those people who believe marriage is forever."

Mara wrung her hands together, knowing she believed it was forever also.

Luke looked at her as his shoulders slumped slightly. "If there's one thing I've learned in my life, Mara, it's that I'm never going to have the wife and kids dream come true. I gave up on that along time ago."

Mara could hear the sadness in his voice, she knew how much he craved those things. Things she herself had never given much thought to. "I can't ask you to do this for me."

"You're not asking. I want to do this Mara. We can pull this off."

"Are you prepared to lie to Leia, Han and everyone else about this marriage because no one could know?"

"Why would I lie? We're married and that's all they would need to know."

Mara stood up and began picking up papers that were scattered around the room. Luke watched her for a few moments then stood and walked closer to her. He took the papers she was holding, laid them down on the table and turned her to face him.

"We're out of time, Mara. We have to do this and do it quickly."

Mara shook her head. "I can't Luke. We can't pretend to be married."

"Why can't we?"

"We would have to live together, and act married around other people and …it would be awkward to be your wife…things might get out of control."

"We're adults, Mara. I think we can control ourselves. Besides, it's not like that with us. You and I are just friends."

Mara rolled her eyes and wondered how the man in front of her could be so dense at times. "You and I have been like that before. We've had…things happen."

Luke couldn't help but smile at the memory of their night together a few years ago. A night he remembered quite well. Mara saw his smile and knew exactly what he was thinking. "Stop smiling Farmboy or I'll make sure you never have another night like that with anyone…ever."

The smile immediately vanished from Luke's face and he mumbled. "I can't believe that night still bothers you so much."

"Can we please forget the past and figure out what we're going to do." Mara glanced at the chrono on her arm. "It's two hours until I'm expected in the Justice Room."

Mara started to walk away but Luke held her by the arm. "You and I are getting married, that's what we're doing."

"No, we don't know anything about being married, especially to each other." She argued.

"We'll figure it out as we go. Let's just do this. We're running out of time, Mara. Say you will marry me."

Mara took a shuddering breath. "Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade married? It would cause a huge scandal."

"That's never stopped us before. Will you do this?"

Mara slowly looked up at Luke and saw the pleading look in his eyes. "I don't want to die." She reveled in the comfort she drew from him as Luke tenderly caressed the side of her face. This was a terrible risk they were taking with their friendship but Mara could see no other way out and Luke was right, time had run out.

"Then change your clothes and let's go get married." On impulse Luke hugged her close. Mara's first instinct was to pull away but then remembered she had better start getting used to Skywalker's affectionate outbursts. She patted him on the back and he released her but still held her close. He gently tucked some loose hair behind her ear.

"Mara, will you marry me?" She gazed into the deep blue eyes of the man holding her by the arms and asking her to marry him. As frightening as death was, marrying Luke Skywalker was almost as frightening.. He was dangerous and so was she. Together, their lives and those of the people around them would never be the same.

"Are you sure? It won't be easy."

"Nothing you and I have ever done has been easy. Yes, I'm sure." Mara had never thought one little word would be so hard to say. Luke pulled her a bit closer.

"We can do this. Marry me, Mara."

"Yes."

Luke could not explain why he was so thrilled that she said yes but he couldn't deny the pleasure that seemed to explode in his heart. It's because I know she's going to be safe now. Mara noticed the brilliant smile and happiness that seemed to be oozing from Luke and it in turn made her feel better. After everything that they had been through in the past, this marriage couldn't be all that hard.

Luke laughed suddenly and Mara realized he had picked up on her last thought. She joined in the laughter and neither one noticed Talon and Bryce's reentry into the apartment. They stopped as soon as they cleared the door and Talon cleared his throat. Luke and Mara immediately released one another but still stayed side by side. They both turned to look at him and Talon just had to know.

"So, are we going to a wedding?" Luke and Mara looked at one another then back at Talon and Bryce.

Luke shrugged, "We're going to a wedding."

Chapter 4
Coruscant Wedding Chapel

Luke paced nervously back and forth in front of the doorway leading into the small wedding chapel. He was in a waiting room and was thankful no one else was there…waiting to be married. Jeez, get a grip Skywalker. This is just a sham marriage. I'm just reciting words and signing a paper to make sure Mara isn't executed. It's not like it's a real marriage.

Luke's eyes flew to the entrance to the quickie marriage chapel as Bryce entered, flustered from his usual hurrying. "Luke, are the others here yet?"

"No, just me so far." Luke struggled to keep his voice calm but was irritated that it still had a nervous squeak to it.

Bryce had to smile at the nervousness the normally confident young man was displaying. "This is a wonderful thing you're doing for Mara."

"There's no way I would've let the NR do this to her." Luke replied.

"If there's one thing I've learned over the past six weeks, it's that the two of you would do about anything for each other. It was surprising to me since Talon had told me how she wanted to kill you for so long."

Luke's brow furrowed in wonderment of what Talon had told him. That piece of information was something Luke and Mara had decided to keep to themselves a long time ago. Good thing in the long run since he was sure the NR would have used that against her as well. He had just started to pace again when the outside door once again opened. Talon had a huge smile on his face as he entered the small waiting area and went directly to stand in front of Luke. He eyed the Jedi Master's usual attire of black boots, pants and tunic as well as the rarely used black flowing robes and nodded approvingly.

"Perfect." His hands clasped Luke warmly on both upper arms as he did so.

Luke couldn't help but smile. "I'm glad you approve of my wardrobe." He answered sarcastically. He had already noticed that Talon and Bryce both had casual suits on. They had all agreed not to dress up noticeably since they would have to leave the chapel and go straight to court.

They all looked toward the door as it opened again and Mara finally arrived. Talon whistled slightly until she gave him a look that immediately made him quieten down. Mara had selected white boots with matching pants tucked into them and a white, silk shirt that showed off her small, lithe body. And unusual for her, Mara had left her hair down to hang around her shoulders. As Mara approached her future husband, Luke unfolded the black robe he held in his arms that matched the one he already wore and held it, ready for her. Mara chuckled and slipped into it effortlessly.

She fidgeted slightly from the new sensation of wearing a Jedi robe but stopped when she felt Luke's eyes upon her. The robes were the only things he had asked for. A symbol of their bond through the Force and a reminder of their heritage. She had agreed, knowing the two of them were connected through the Force and seeing no reason to deny that any longer.

She turned and looked up at his pale blue eyes and although the brightness of them already gave her the answer, she still asked, "Are you sure about this?"

Luke adjusted the robes on her as his nervousness showed. "Yes, I'll admit I'm a little nervous but I know you and I are getting married today is the right thing to do."

Mara was happy to hear that he thought it was the right thing to do but there would be problems, there always were. "Your sister is going to kill you."

Luke groaned and rolled his eyes . "Poor choice of words until your trial is dismissed, don't you think?"

Mara laughed and Luke could tell she was as nervous about this as he was. "Are you sure about this?" He asked her quietly.

"Yes," She laughed to herself, "I was just kidding before when I asked if I could think about choosing between death and marrying you. Though not by much, death would still be worse."

Luke extended his elbow toward her. "Very funny, Jade."

Mara hooked her arm through his. "Thank you, Skywalker." She looked anxiously at the door leading into the chapel then took a deep breath. "Are we ready, Bryce?"

The lawyer held up a datapad. "You both sign this and we're going in."

"And," Talon reached into his suit pocket and withdrew a small, red velvet pouch. He pulled the drawstring to open the pouch and two gold bands tumbled into his palm. "Don't forget that you need these."

He handed each of them a band that they would put on the other's hand at the appropriate time. Luke immediately pocketed his, not wanting to think about the consequences while Mara looked closely at the one she held. She had never given much thought to the simple gold bands that people seemed to cherish so much and eyed it curiously. Finally, she took a deep breath and slipped hers into the deep pockets on the Jedi robe she wore.

Bryce watched them carefully and wondered if their nerves would hold throughout the ceremony. They both seemed okay with doing this but the tension was growing. He laid the paper on a small stand and watched as the future couple glanced at one another then put their signatures on the marriage license. "Talon and I will sign this as witnesses after the ceremony." He explained, that being one of the most important parts of this ceremony.

Bryce carefully held their license to be married to show the Reverend as he held open the door leading into the chapel with a quick, final reminder. "Remember from now on, you have to be the perfect couple for everyone to see."

They both nodded and went through the door into a small but beautiful chapel. There were only two rows of seats on each side of the aisle with flowers and candles arranged plentifully yet elegantly all around the room. Mara looked down at the ornate gold carpet beneath her feet. *At least Talon picked a beautiful chapel to do this in.*

When Luke didn't reply, Mara glanced his way and almost chuckled aloud that his famous 'I can't believe this' expression was plastered all over his face. Even after living in the Imperial Palace and being the guest at elaborate balls and galas, it amazed her that a small chapel like this could still affect him this way.

Luke heard Mara laugh and picked up on her trail of thought. He smiled back at her. *It's not just the beauty of the room. It feels…peaceful.*

Mara concentrated harder on the room and had to agree. The chapel felt warm, friendly and peaceful. A perfect place for the Jedi Master and his Jedi bride to marry. An older gentleman rushed down the aisle toward them, his hand extended in greeting.

"Welcome Master Skywalker. I am so glad your friend contacted me to perform this ceremony." He looked at Mara, who stood with her hand still hooked around Luke's arm. "And this must be your lovely bride."

Luke was thankful Talon had managed to get the minister with whom he had worked with on various charitable projects. It was soothing to have someone he knew performing this all-important ceremony. He patted Mara's hand lying on his arm with genuine affection. "Reverend Darius, this is Mara Jade."

Mara had the pleasure of seeing the man's eyebrows arch at her identity. She shook his offered hand and applied her friendliest voice. "Pleased to meet you and thank you so much for helping us today on such short notice."

Reverend Darius smiled at her, surprised at her manners after all the things he had heard about her, yet knowing how unfounded rumors could be. "It is my pleasure although I have to admit, I was surprised to hear that Master Skywalker would be getting married today."

Luke tried to appear much calmer that he actually felt. "With everything going on, Mara and I decided it was time to get married." That part was definitely not a lie but skating around the truth still made him uneasy.

Talon was paying close attention, knowing that Luke would have a hard time justifying this marriage to people without bending the truth. Fortunately, he had no such qualms. "We're just glad they finally decided to stop hiding their relationship and take the next step." He slapped Luke on the back who was really beginning to wish that this was over.

Everyone tensed when the door opened again. Luke started toward the young man carrying a holo-picture camera until Talon stopped him. "It's ok, Luke. This is Chaney, a friend of mine."

Mara turned sideways to glare at him, fury mixing with disbelief. "Talon, a photographer at our wedding? Have you lost your mind?" She restrained herself from smacking the back of his head with her hand.

Talon laughed softly. "Chaney is here to take photos for you personally and after the media gets wind of this, he gets to publish some of the pictures. But not until we agree to it."

Chaney nodded in agreement. "Talon is going to keep the camera until you're ready to release the pictures."

Mara was still hesitant but she understood Talon's reasoning. The pictures would be helpful to prove their marriage was real and generate support for them while giving his friend the scoop of a lifetime. "Luke?" She asked without even looking at him.

"I think it's a good idea." He responded with his eyes also still on Chaney.

She fixed Chaney with her best deadly glare then composed herself to turn back toward the man waiting to perform a marriage ceremony. Mara's grip tightened on Luke's arm. "Can we begin, Reverend?"

"Certainly. Do you have the marriage license?" They began walking toward the front of the chapel as Bryce handed the datapad that Luke and Mara had just signed to the Reverend. He checked it over and placed it on the small table behind him, ready to add his signature, then those of the witnesses as soon as he had performed the ceremony. He motioned for Mara and Luke to stand before him while Bryce positioned himself beside Luke while Talon moved over to Mara's side.

Luke held his breath waiting for the Reverend to begin, scared that he would ask why Luke's family was not there. Apparently he did not think of it or chose not to ask because he immediately began the ceremony. "Please join hands and face one another."

Luke slowly let his breath out and held his hands out, palms up over the small table. The first thing he noticed when Mara slipped her hands into his is that they were trembling. They stared at each other as the Reverend began their marriage ceremony. Luke increased his tight grip on his emotions, not wanting Mara to sense the ripple of regret that coursed through him as the Reverend began to speak of he and Mara being there to pledge their love and commitment to each other. He had always dreamt that he would stand here one day and pledge his love and life to the woman he would spend the rest of his life with but instead Mara Jade stood before him. And while Mara meant the world to him and he would do anything to protect her, he couldn't help but feel a sense of loss at not having a true wife. Of not having the wife and family he had craved and dreamed of all his adult life. And he knew for certain that Mara was not interested in being his wife. Luke almost frowned when he realized how much that bothered him.

Mara was watching Luke closely and could see his mixed emotions, no matter how hard he tried to hide it. He was giving up his dream for her. She had seen Luke's dreams as well as his nightmares and she knew a wife and children were what he wanted most. What he had always wanted. And now I'm depriving him of that just to save my own self. There's no way I could ever repay him for doing this for me. Mara's hands trembled at how far this man would go to protect her and was not surprised when Luke gripped them tighter.

*Are you all right, Mara?* Luke knew if he felt ill with tension, she had to be also.

*Yes, I've just never gotten married before.* Her off-handed remark lightened their minds considerably.

The Reverend was surprised when Luke smiled but he continued. Luke couldn't resist a quick jab at his friend. *You'll soon be Mrs. Luke Skywalker.*

Mara gasped and the Reverend stopped to look at her. "Are you ok, Ms. Jade?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. Please continue." She looked back at Luke and although she was smiling, Luke knew she was ready to throttle him.

*I never said I would take your name.*

*I expect you to take all of me, Mara, including my name.*

Mara hid her laugh behind a fake cough, surprised and strangely thrilled at his boldness. The Reverend eyed her curiously but continued without interruption. Talon nudged Mara from behind, knowing full well what they were doing. It did not take a Force sensitive to know they were communicating through the Force.

As Luke slipped the gold band around her finger, per Reverend Darius' instruction, Mara could tell he was anxious over doing so and she wanted to keep their moods light. *Getting brave aren't you, Farmboy?*

Luke answered the Reverend's question with, "I do," with his gaze never leaving the brilliant green eyes before him. *Better pay attention, Jade, your turn is coming up next.* He teased gently.

Mara broke the gaze to glance quickly at the photographer who was being very unobtrusive but snapping away pictures of them. *Are you really ok with the photographer being here?*

Luke waited until Mara had slipped the larger gold band on his finger before answering. *Talon trusts him. Besides, we need a picture of this to make anyone believe that we really did this.*

Mara once again coughed and used her hand to cover her grin. She then noticed the Reverend looking at her expectantly. When she didn't reply he cleared his throat.

"Mara Jade, I asked if you took Luke Skywalker as your lawfully wedded husband?"

Mara looked back at the Jedi who was barely controlling his laughter at her blunder. "You bet I do."

Talon and Bryce both lost it at that point and their laughter filled the small chapel. Luke chuckled somewhat more conservatively while Mara watched the Reverend shake his head and lay his instructional datapad on the table behind him. This had been one of the strangest ceremonies he had ever performed.

"Then by the laws bestowed upon me by the New Republic Government, I pronounce you husband and wife." He looked at his friend. "You may kiss your bride, Master Skywalker."

Luke stepped closer to Mara and lowered his head toward hers. *Kiss me like a wife kisses a husband* Mara's mouth gaped open in shock just as Luke's lips descended upon hers. Talon and Bryce began clapping as Luke pulled Mara close and kissed her for the first time as husband and wife.

Luke could feel her stiffen and thought that for his own safety, he should verify what he was doing. *Remember dear, we're putting on a show.*

He felt her relax and Luke was surprised when Mara wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. A familiar ache that he thought was long buried began to spread throughout his body. No, I can't feel this way for her again. It was so many years ago.

Mara's thoughts mirrored his own as she struggled to stop the rising desire and subsequent panic that it entailed.

They finally drew apart and both stood gasping for air while Talon continued to clap his hands at their display. Thankfully everyone was celebrating and didn't notice the couple who stood embracing but staring in shock at each other. Shocked that all their intentions to be married in name only didn't seem quite so easy anymore.

Chapter 5
Coruscant Justice Center

Luke and Mara marched down the same hallway they had exited through six weeks earlier but this time, Talon and Bryce were walking in front of them. There were holo-reporters crowded into every available space and Mara felt her irritation growing from all the flashes and comments people were calling out. Most people were murmuring about the two of them clad in black Jedi robes while others criticized Luke for being at Mara's side. Luke looked over at Mara and saw her face set in a grim expression and he could feel the anxiety building within her. Not only from facing the Magistrate and Borsk Fey'lya but from everyone learning about their marriage. The announcement of their impromptu wedding was going to shake Coruscant and its elite to their very core, and that weighed heavily on both of their minds. Luke once again held out his hand, just like he had done previously while standing before the Reverend.

With only a slight smile creeping across her face and with no hesitation, Mara slid her hand into his and held it as tightly as she could.

Luke reveled in the fact that she drew strength from him being at her side because he knew he would want her beside him if the situation were reversed. She may not be the wife he had pictured himself with but she was the friend who had always been there for him. Luke stepped closer to her and forced himself to not listen to the incessant rumblings of the crowd around them. He reached out to her through the Force and she readily accepted his help in pushing down her fears and allowing the calmness of the Force surround her, surround them both.

Talon and Bryce both turned around to face Luke and Mara as they stopped in front of the Justice Room doors and Talon was pleased at the closeness the two were displaying. I don't see why it would be so hard for people to accept them as married. They've acted like they were for years.

Bryce was thrilled that the two of them appeared calm as well as a solid couple but he still felt the need to give out last minute advice. "Remember, they are going to be furious when the case against Mara can't proceed. Stand your ground."

Mara nodded with a faint smile. "We can do that."

"And act married. Unless the two of you are alone, you must convince everyone around you that you are a happily married couple." He nodded toward their tightly clenched hands. "Holding hands is good. Kiss each other, be friendly."

"We could just do it on the Magistrate's table in front of everyone. Would that be friendly enough?" Mara asked.

Talon and Luke both grinned; knowing this was how Mara was dealing with the stress of the situation. Unfortunately, Bryce didn't know her quite as well. "Mara, this is serious. You both could end up in jail if the NR think this is a ploy on our part to keep you from being tried."

Mara cocked an eyebrow. "We will be on our best behavior but if we don't get in there, they're going to put me in jail anyway." Mara resented being told how serious this was. For Sith's sake, I just married the Jedi Master and his sister is about to find out. It's more serious than Bryce could ever imagine, she thought.

Bryce sighed then looked at Luke, who winced as he heard Mara's thought and wished there had been a way not to spring this on Leia in front of everyone. He shrugged at Bryce's questioning look. "We're ready."

Bryce opened the door, followed by Talon and then Luke and Mara, side by side, hand in hand. The murmuring immediately swelled at the sight of them and Luke blocked all the negative feelings radiating from the crowd. He pulled Mara closer to his side just as he felt Leia gently brush against his mind.

*I love you, Leia.* He could feel her anxiety at his entrance with Mara and their tightly clenched hands.

*What's going on, Luke?*

*I wish I had time to tell you the news but I don't. I have to concentrate on this. Just please forgive me and remember how much I love you.*

Luke broke the contact as he tightened his blockage against the spectators' emotions and kept an open tendril with Mara. They walked to the end of the aisle and Bryce stepped around the rail to the table he and Mara had sat at before. Luke squeezed Mara's hand then released it to hold her face in both his hands.

*It's almost over, Jade. Just hang in there.*

Mara nodded and Luke released her so she could join Bryce at the table. Luke sat down directly behind her and beside Talon. He had heard only a few gasps at his affectionate gesture towards Mara. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as he had imagined.

The Magistrate had impatiently watched their entrance into the Justice Room and now he was more than ready for this trial to begin. He struck the small wooden pad on his desk with the gavel and the proceedings officially began. He intended on giving each side last minute instructions then the jury of Mara's peers would be brought in and her fate would be placed in their hands. But before he could start, Bryce stood.

"I apologize for this interruption, your Honor, but I would like to request a meeting in private between myself, Prosecutor Fey'lya, and your Honor."

"A meeting?" The Magistrate could not believe he was hearing this. "This trial is now underway, Mr. Stanton. There will be no meetings."

"But your Honor…"

The gavel cracking against the pad stopped Bryce. "This trial is underway, Mr. Stanton. You will have an opportunity to defend your client but not before the prosecution has stated its case."

"But your Honor…"

The gavel slamming down again drowned out Bryce's words. The Magistrate's anger was clearly showing on his flushed face. "Sit down Mr. Stanton or you will be removed from this room."

Bryce took a deep breath and slowly sank into his seat. The Magistrate glared at Mara's attorney for only a moment before he began reciting last minute instructions. Mara leaned close to Bryce to whisper in his ear. "What are we going to do?"

Bryce knew they really had limited options at this time. "Fey'lya will call Luke to the stand. He'll have to be the one to announce your marriage to the court. The Magistrate won't allow me to speak until I cross examine Luke."

It would prolong this proceeding but Mara knew Bryce was right. He had angered the Magistrate already and could not afford to be removed from the courtroom. "All right," she agreed. "Do you want me to tell Luke what we're doing?"

Bryce waited until the jury had been led in and were being instructed before he answered. "Can you do that?"

"I already did." Mara then sat back with a slight smile face at the puzzled look on his face. She tapped the side of her forehead. "The Force." She replied in a low voice.

Bryce only nodded, not wanting to risk the wrath of the Magistrate by smiling. His full attention was diverted back to the proceedings when the Magistrate allowed Borsk Fey'lya to begin with his case. It seemed as if everyone in the Justice Room inhaled at the same time when the Bothan wasted no time in asking that Luke take the witness stand.

Luke slowly stood and made his way to the small, elevated seat that was situated right beside the Magistrate. His eyes briefly met Leia's questioning gaze before he wretched away from her and concentrated instead on the Bothan pacing in front of him like an animal stalking his prey.

"Master Skywalker, tell the court how long you have known Mara Jade?"

Luke glanced at Bryce who nodded his head and then at Mara whose mounting fear was clouding her face. He wanted to end this now but thought it would be better to wait for the best moment to refuse to answer their questions. Just as Borsk started to repeat the question, Luke answered. "I have know her for a little over eight years now."

Borsk continued. "So would you say that you know her quite well or hardly at all?"

Luke knew exactly what he was leading up to. "I would say that I know her very well."

"She's a good friend of yours?"

Luke sighed. "Yes."

"And has Mara Jade ever talked with you about her time as the Emperor's hand?"

Luke tensed automatically; knowing the time had come. There was no way to avoid answering without telling them that he had no intention of answering them. "I'm afraid I can't answer that question."

Again the Justice Room occupants began murmuring at his unexpected answer. Borsk, still feeling confident that the Jedi only needed a reminder, waited while the Magistrate quieted the room then turned slightly to address Luke.

"Master Skywalker, you have been instructed by the New Republic representative, Borsk Fey'lya, to appear in this Justice Room and answer questions pertaining to Mara Jade's past activities while under the servitude of Emperor Palpatine. Did you understand this?"

"Yes, I did." Everyone stilled to hear his softly spoken words.

"And did you understand the question that was just asked of you?"

"Yes, I did." Luke replied.

The Magistrate was becoming irritated with the calm Jedi. "Do you intend on answering the question asked of you?"

"No, I do not." Luke watched Borsk's mouth open slightly in shock while the Magistrate pressed on.

"Do you intend on answering any of the questions that will be asked of you pertaining to Mara Jade's past as the Emperor's Hand?"

Luke's face tightened, as he knew there could be no more avoiding the issue. "I will not answer any questions that will incriminate Mara Jade."

This time Borsk leaned against the side of his desk. Never in his wildest dreams did he expect the Jedi Master to give up everything he held dear to protect a single person. His gaze met that of the Magistrate, who appeared as stunned as the Bothan. Fey'lya straightened and once again approached the witness box.

He cleared his throat to make sure he had everyone's attention. "Master Skywalker, it is your duty as a New Republic citizen to help in matters such as this. You are refusing to do your duty?"

Luke couldn't help but feel offended at such a comment, especially after everything he had sacrificed for the New Republic. His voice was hard and laced with anger. "I have never refused my duty as a man, New Republic citizen or Jedi Knight."

Borsk knew he had struck a nerve but he had no intention of backing down, he needed Luke Skywalker's testimony to send the imperial traitor to her death. "But you do so now in refusing to testify."

Luke did his best to remain calm. "I'm well aware of my duties, Prosecutor Fey'lya but I am also well aware of my rights."

The Magistrate took over after Luke's declaration. "Your rights, Master Skywalker?"

"Yes," Luke took a deep breath and wished this were over with.

The Magistrate found himself strangely amused by the delusional man. "You have no rights concerning this case, Master Skywalker."

Luke steeled himself for the fallout and sought comfort in Mara's gaze. Her emerald eyes held his and she encouraged him through the Force. "Your Honor, I have the right not to testify against Mara and to not incriminate her in any way."

The Magistrate chuckled. "And what gives you this so called right?"

"As her husband, I do not have to participate in this trial." Luke stated as clearly and loudly as he could.

Complete silence descended in the courtroom as everyone struggled to make sure they had heard Luke correctly. The chuckle died in the Magistrate's throat as Borsk took an unsteady step toward Luke. "What did you say?"

Chaos followed Luke's second declaration of his right as reporters rushed from the room to be the first to report on this major revelation. The Magistrate snapped back to his duty and used the gavel to restore order to the room. When everything quieted back down, very few people were left in the courtroom and Luke found it difficult not to look in Leia's direction. He immediately wished he hadn't when the coldness in her piercing gaze made a rush of guilt flood over him. He reached out through the Force to his twin and flinched as her barriers slammed down, not allowing him entrance. His heart and mind cried out to her and he longed for nothing more than to rush to her and explain everything but he knew he wouldn't be able to. He never imagined it would be so hard to face Leia after doing this.

Luke's eyes closed briefly as Bryce stood and reiterated that Luke did not have to testify and cited the law to support his claim. He also submitted the documents as proof of their marriage. The Magistrate looked over the documents.

"You were married this morning?" He addressed Luke again.

"Yes, your Honor."

"You expect this court to believe that you are truly married and did not do this just to excuse yourself from your duty."

Luke felt his calmness slip. "I expect this court to accept the fact that Mara Jade is my wife. It doesn't matter when we were married, but that we are."

"Why did you marry Mara Jade, Master Skywalker?" He emphasized Luke's title as a subtle reminder that Jedi do not lie.

Luke was beginning to grow weary of being in this courtroom and being subjected to a barrage of questions. "We decided that it was time for us to be married and that's what we did." Luke knew he was hedging, he just hoped everyone didn't see that.

Bryce continued to press the issue. "We ask that the charges against Ms. Jade be dismissed immediately, Magistrate."

Borsk' fist pounded his desk. "Your Honor, this is an outrage. It's an obvious ploy to keep Mara Jade from standing trial. This must not be allowed."

The Magistrate held the documents up in the air. "Mr. Fey'lya, this marriage certificate is legal and Master Skywalker has asserted that the marriage is valid and true. He does not have to incriminate Ms. Jade and without his testimony, your case has no merit." He did not like the way things were proceeding but had no legal way to force Luke to testify against his wife.

But Fey'lya was not about to give up on the case he had built. "Master Skywalker, you expect this court to believe that you and Mara Jade are more than friends?"

Luke was beginning to see exactly why his sister had no patience when concerning this individual. "Mara and I are husband and wife. That is what I expect you to believe since it is the truth."

Fey'lya could plainly hear the irritation in the Jedi's voice. "And have you and Ms. Jade ever engaged…in more than friendly relationship?"

Bryce shot to his feet. "Your Honor, Luke Skywalker is not on trial here and the private matters between he and his wife are certainly not." He could not believe the Magistrate had not stopped the questioning and dismissed the case.

Borsk's agitation matched Bryce's as he pleaded to the Magistrate. "Your Honor, if this is a genuine marriage then Master Skywalker should have no problem answering my question. What better way to know if this is a real marriage or just a marriage between two good friends."

"Your Honor, no one should have to answer a question pertaining to their….relationship with their spouse." Bryce just knew they were in trouble if Luke had to answer any question about the extent of his and Mara's relationship.

The Magistrate listened as the two men argued their point but he was also watching the defendant carefully. Mara Jade was frowning and had been since this line of questioning had come up. He felt confident that she did not want to continue with this and to him that meant she was hiding something.

He turned his attention back to the witness after subduing the verbally dueling attorneys. "I see no reason for you not to answer the prosecutor's question, Master Skywalker, unless you think that your answer will make this court feel your marriage could be fraudulent."

Luke's eyes darted back and forth from Bryce, who shrugged in defeat, to Mara whose panic at him answering the question was obvious in her frown as well as her clenched fists. Luke took a deep breath and knew he had no choice but to answer.

"Master Skywalker," Borsk Fey'lya felt certain that he has stumbled on a way to show the two of them had never been more than friends and if they had not been more in the past, they probably never would be during their marriage, "have you ever been involved with Mara Jade in a more intimate manner than friendship."

Luke knew they were expecting him to deny the fact and he had no choice but to tell the truth. "Yes, I have."

If his revelation of being married to Mara shocked most everyone in the court, this statement shocked everyone. Bryce shifted uncomfortably in his chair while Talon couldn't stop his jaw from gaping open.

Luke glanced at Leia, wishing she were the one person he didn't have to talk about this in front of. Han had leaned over in front of her, blocking Luke's view but he could still feel the disgust and anger flowing from her even with her barriers up against him.

Bryce stood and once again addressed the Magistrate. "Your Honor, I do believe this has far exceeded the normal perimeters of any trial. Master Skywalker answered the unfair question asked to him and now we ask that this case be dismissed."

The Magistrate nodded. "I tend to agree Mr. Stanton. This case will be dismissed, however, the court will be watching to insure that the marriage is indeed a real marriage and not an attempt to bypass the law. If the court should decide that, both parties will be revoked of all right and privileges and will be prosecuted under the fullest extent of the law." He let his threat hang to emphasize the severity of the consequences if the marriage turned out to be a sham.

Borsk slowly sunk back into his seat as the Magistrate did the only thing he could. The gavel struck the wood pad one last time, "This case is dismissed and Ms. Jade is free to go."

The last of the spectators hurried from the courtroom but Luke didn't budge. He stayed exactly where he was as Talon rushed around the rail to hug Mara while Bryce happily watched them. He waited until the Magistrate and Fey'lya both had exited before he slowly stood and walked toward his sister.

Mara helped Bryce gather up all the papers he had rummaged through during the trial and agreed to meet with the two of them at Talon's apartment as soon as possible. Talon knew she was rushing them out to give Luke privacy with Leia, so they exited without a word to anyone and as far away from Leia as they could.

Leia had stood and turned to leave when Luke called out to her. "Leia." She hesitantly turned to face her brother, a brother that she wasn't sure she knew anymore.

"I can't talk about this with you right now, Luke." She was still angry but the anger was quickly fading as the feelings of betrayal and lost trust came to the surface.

Luke wanted to hug her but Leia took a step backwards when he reached a hand towards her. "Leia, please forgive me for not telling you first. There was just no time." Luke felt panicky, he had to make Leia understand why he didn't tell her.

Leia bristled at his excuse. "No time? Luke, you are my brother. You were married today and I found out in a courtroom along with the rest of Coruscant. You should have told me." She sobbed at the pained look on his face and at the agony ripping through her own heart. "I should have been there."

She once again stepped out of his reach when Luke made a move to wrap his arms around her. "I'm sorry, Leia."

He stood staring at her a moment as Han wrapped his arm around his wife's shoulder. "Leia, I should have thought of a way to tell you before you heard it here but we were so pressed for time that I just couldn't think straight. I am sorry."

"You were pressed for time? I suppose you were, planning such a quickie wedding."

Luke flinched at her sarcastic tone but made no move to defend himself. Leia glanced at Mara then back at Luke. "Do you love her, Luke?"

Luke sighed. "I'm tired of defending my marriage, Leia. Can't you just be happy that I am married and forgive me for not telling you about it sooner?"

This time, Leia stepped closer to her brother. "Answer my question."

Luke stiffened at her demanding answers from him. "I've been questioned enough about my relationship with Mara. I won't answer anymore."

Leia's eyes narrowed. "Then don't bother to come anywhere near me until you can." With that, Leia hurried out of the Justice Room and Luke made no attempt to follow her. He looked at Han who had not rushed after Leia. "I'm sorry, Han."

Han squeezed his brother in law's shoulder. "She's just in shock, kid. Give her a few days and she'll be all right."

Luke nodded then watched as Han went after his distraught wife. "I hope you're right." He whispered to himself just as he felt an arm encircle his waist.

"I'm sorry, Skywalker." Mara stood beside him with her arm still around him. "I never wanted this marriage to cause you any problems."

Luke was still worried about Leia, but he was also ecstatic that this entire mess was over with and that Mara was going to be fine. He wrapped his arm around her waist and she did not resist his embrace at all.

*We did it, Farmboy.*

Luke drew back to look at her face, filled with a radiant smile. The first real smile he had seen on her in weeks. "This is finally over." Luke kissed her gently on the lips then hugged her close again. Now, we just have to live with what we've done.

Chapter 6
Talon Karrde's apartment

Mara rang the buzzer then glanced at the man standing beside her while they waited for Talon to open the door. It had been a few hours since the fiasco in the Justice Room and Luke's mood hadn't improved much since then. They had met with Chaney, agreed as to which pictures could be released and had answered a few questions for him. Mara's attention snapped back to the doorway as the door slid open and Talon ushered them inside.

Mara giggled like a child as she walked into the apartment and saw the huge congratulation banner strung across the room. She looked back at Luke as he entered behind her and was pleased to finally see his mood improve as a smile slowly spread across his face. She did not want him to suffer because he had married her. Talon motioned for the two of them to follow him as he walked briskly into the kitchen area. Mara's mouth gaped open as they entered the kitchen and saw the small cake on the counter.

Luke's face flushed when he realized it was a wedding cake and Talon caught him by the arm when he turned to go back out of the kitchen.

"I thought for sure it would be Mara I'd have to stop from leaving." Talon also took Mara by the arm and urged them toward the cake. They all laughed and Talon released them to hand each of them a glass and to pick up his own.

Mara sniffed the glass, never knowing what rare find Talon would spring on them. Talon had known she'd do that very thing. "It's just champagne, Mara."

Talon waited while Luke and Mara exchanged greetings with Bryce, who was behind the counter then lifted his glass. "May I be the first to congratulate the two of you on your new marriage," He pretended to be thinking about something, "Oh, and on Mara not getting executed."

They all clinked their glasses together and Mara couldn't remember a time when Talon had been so giddy. She picked up the bottle he had poured their drinks from. "How much of this have you already drunk, Talon?"

He didn't answer her but instead handed her a knife. "It's time for you to cut your wedding cake."

Mara laughed cynically and Bryce scolded her gently. "Every couple should have a wedding cake, even the two of you."

Mara looked at Luke who was slowly sipping his drink and trying his best to stay out of this argument. "What about it, Skywalker? Ready to cut our wedding cake?" It was time to snap him out of his sad mood.

Luke didn't like the mischievous tone of her voice. "I suppose so." He eyed her curiously and Mara couldn't keep from laughing.

"It's just a cake." Mara replied in her best innocent voice. She carefully sliced one piece of cake and laid it on the plate that Luke had picked up and held out to her. Mara then took the plate and pinched off a sizable amount of the cake. She held it out toward Luke. "I believe it's tradition for the bride to feed the groom the first piece?"

Luke couldn't believe they were doing the things a regularly married couple would do, but he had to admit, it felt good to be able to do them. "I guess it is."

Luke leaned forward slightly then wished he hadn't when her sweet smile turned into a sly grin. He tried to grab her arm as she crammed the cake into his mouth and smeared it over his mouth. He did manage to grab her wrist after the damage had been done and twisted her arm so her fingers, still covered in cake, smeared against her own face. Mara shrieked and jerked away from him, grabbing a napkin as she went.

"Skywalker!"

Luke laughed and picked up his own napkin to clean his face off with. "You started it, Jade."

Talon and Bryce both grabbed their plates and sliced themselves a piece of cake as the newly married couple tried to clean themselves up.

Mara turned back around and laughed at Luke. "You still have cake on you."

Luke wiped his face again but she still shook her head. "Here, let me." Mara grabbed the napkin from his hand and gently wiped icing from his cheek. Realizing she had stepped way to close to him and that her other hand was resting against his chest, Mara quickly stepped away and tossed the napkin into the trash collector. "It's off." She mumbled.

Luke didn't want her to be embarrassed so he handed her a plate and for a few minutes no one spoke as they all eat the wedding cake. "Talon, we met with Chaney awhile ago to approve the pictures he took at the wedding."

"Good, did the pics turn out all right?" Talon refilled their glasses.

Mara couldn't resist putting an end to how casually they were talking about the wedding. "Yes, they were wonderful. He really caught the mood of the entire thing."

Luke turned around to discard his plate so no one would see his smirk. Talon was used to Mara by now. "Hey, it was a good idea on my part. Did he asked you a few questions?"

Mara frowned. "Yes, he did. Was that planned between the two of you also?"

Talon nodded. "Chaney will publish the pics and the interview and that should take the edge off the story. I thought it would be better for him to interview you, knowing that certain things could not be asked, than the two of you having to deal with other reporters."

Mara whistled lowly. "You are a smart man, Talon Karrde. And of course, Chaney was willing to abide by your rules to get exclusive rights to the wedding story of the year."

Bryce snorted. "Of the year? Try the wedding of the century." He took the rest of the empty plates and walked around the counter to the trash collector and Luke stepped aside to allow him access. "So Luke, where are the two of you going to live?"

Talon burst out laughing at how quickly Luke and Mara both looked at Bryce. Mara's look was anything but friendly. "What do you mean, Bryce?"

Bryce looked at Talon, who was still laughing, then back at Mara. "The two of you realize that you are now married, right?"

Mara frowned. "Yes?"

"And that married people live together?" Bryce couldn't help but chuckle at the dumbfounded look on her face. "Did you think you would just shake hands and part after the trial was dismissed?"

Mara realized how silly she looked to them and immediately changed her expression. "Of course we knew that. We're well aware of what is expected of us now."

Bryce knew she had been surprised by his question but was impressed by her quick thinking. "So where will you live then?"

Mara glanced at Luke, who only shrugged; having no intention of getting himself involved in her plight. Mara's gaze narrowed at him. "We're going to live in Farmboy's apartment."

Luke's eyes snapped around to look at her. "What?"

Mara enjoyed diverting the attention from her to his fumbling. "Well of course, Jedi. I only rent a room when I'm here. You have an apartment."

Luke knew exactly what she was doing. "Sure, Mara, that would be fine with me."

Talon shook his head. "The two of you hadn't given a second thought to where you would live, had you?" He knew full well that they had been surprised by Bryce's question.

Mara looked at Luke, ignoring Talon. "We need to get over to my room and get my things."

Luke nodded, knowing they both were tiring easily today. "Whenever you're ready."

Mara looked at Bryce and immediately felt uncomfortable at showing her appreciation. "I want to thank you for all your help. None of this would have been possible without your help and I won't forget that."

"I was glad that we could fix this. I'll keep in touch in regards to when you can get divorced and if I hear from the Magistrate for any reason." Bryce did not say it exactly but they knew he meant that if the Magistrate learned they were faking this marriage, Luke and Mara would definitely hear from him.

Mara nodded. "And thanks Talon for all your help....and for being my friend." Mara allowed Talon to hug her briefly then she stepped back beside Luke whose hand came to rest against her back.

"Thanks to the both of you for all you've done." Luke felt the need to voice his appreciation as well.

Mara and Luke headed out of the kitchen and out of the apartment while Talon and Bryce stayed where they were. Bryce sighed. "I hope they realize how difficult this is going to be for them."

Talon knew precisely what he was talking about. "I know that they are good friends, and apparently more at times, " He thought back to Luke's revelation in the courtroom, "but for two people to be forced into marriage and living together...." He left his thought open as he considered the possibilities, some good but most bad. No one could ever really tell where those two were concerned.

Mara keyed in the access code to her room and the two of them stepped into a small room when the door opened. Mara went to the only closet in the room and grabbed two carryall bags and threw them onto the bed. "I'll get my stuff out of the refresher first. Besides the closet, will you look around and make sure there's nothing in this room that belongs to me?"

"Sure." Luke replied but she had already vanished into the refresher. He looked around the room, knowing his part of packing was going to be easy. There was only a bed and a small chest of drawers with the closet and refresher door completing the room entirely. Luke walked over to the chest of drawers and rummaged through them, finding all of them empty. Not knowing how else to help, he opened the closet door and began taking Mara's clothes from the hangers, folding them neatly then placing them in a carryall bag. After he was nearly half done with the closet, Mara finished cleaning out her things from the refresher and stood watching him in disbelief.

"What are you doing, Skywalker?" She tossed a smaller, black carrying case onto the bed with the other two bags, one of which Luke had almost filled with clothes.

"Helping you pack. Is that all right with you?" Luke dared her to disagree.

Mara wasn't about to let a Farmboy outwit her. "Sure it is. I just never realized you were so....domestic."

Luke chuckled at the 'I can always best you' look plastered on her face. "You always have to have the last word don't you, Mara?"

"Yes, Farmboy," She walked over beside him to grab clothes to fold, "You will never outwit me enough to have the last word."

Luke watched as she finished off the last of the folding and walked over to the bed to put them in the carryall. "So you want to be married to a naïve Farmboy who will let you walk all over him?"

Mara turned back around, laughing, to see him inspecting the closet to make sure nothing was left. "Well, I have to admit, it beats being married to a stuffy Jedi Master."

Luke shut the closet door and tried to appear shocked to her as he approached the bed. "Stuffy?"

Mara zipped the bag up. "And that was the nice word. I could describe him in a few other words to...such as boring…"

"Yea, yea....I've heard it all before. I'll have to make an effort to keep the Jedi Master at bay."

"Please do." Mara mumbled.

Luke watched her closely. "Seriously though, they both are me, Mara. I can't be one without the other."

She looked up at him. "I know. I just prefer the Farmboy over the Jedi Master. He comes in handy and is a wonderful person, but so is the Farmboy that still gets excited by a setting sun or a fancy chapel." She teased.

Luke swallowed with difficulty as he continued to hold her gaze. "It seems like you're the only person who knows he still exists." He whispered.

Mara knew that was true. Too many people encouraged and expected him to act like the all-knowing and all-powerful Jedi and not be like an every day man. "Then I think my goal in this marriage, besides staying alive, is to show everyone that Luke Skywalker is still a man with the heart of a child. And everyone should encourage and accept that side of him when he comes out to play." She nodded her head in satisfaction. "Yes, I think that's a good goal."

Luke picked up the bag they had stuffed clothes into and swung it over his arm. "And my goal is for people to see the Mara I see."

She frowned at that. "What is she like? The Mara you see?"

Luke knew she didn't like to talk about herself. "Others see a woman that is a very skilled warrior, a dangerous adversary and a cunning businesswoman. That's also who I see but I also have the unique pleasure of knowing the woman who absolutely hates being in darkness, who can't cook anything and who loves to walk in the rain." Luke knew he was infringing on her private space, something she hated, but he felt this was important. "As well as you know the real me, I know the real you."

Mara stared back at him, feeling the bond between them strengthen even more than before. "Yes." She whispered. There was no sense in denying what he had said. They both knew it to be true. They knew each other in a way that other people did not.

Luke knew he was making Mara uncomfortable so he broke the look between them to gesture to the two bags. "Is this everything?"

Mara took a deep breath. "Yea, I travel light."

Luke pulled the second large bag over toward him to pick up. "You didn't pack anything in this one?"

"Hmm, wonder what's in it?" Mara knew exactly what was in it but couldn't resist seeing the Farmboy reaction to it. She wasn't disappointed when Luke unzipped the bag, thinking her comment meant for him to look. He pulled a few various colored, lacy objects out before his face flushed and he hurriedly shoved them back into the carry bag. Mara burst out laughing at the embarrassment that she found so easy to bestow upon Luke. He threw the bag over his other shoulder and finally looked at the amused woman beside him.

"Thanks so much for that, Jade." He continued to watch her over-exaggerated laughter. "One of these days, I will get the best of you."

"Oh, I don't think we'll see that day. Can we get out of here, now?" Mara picked up the smaller bag and headed for the door. Luke watched her and smiled warmly. He would have to be careful around Mara, pay more attention and find the opportunity to best her.

"Coming, Farmboy?" She disappeared into the hallway, knowing he would follow.

Luke chuckled as he indeed did follow her, intending on teaching Mara that she would not always be able to get the last word in.

"Coming dear." He replied as the door to Mara's room slid shut one final time behind him.

Luke watched the floor numbers fly by as the turbolift quickly ascended to the floor that contained his apartment. Before loosing his nerve, he quickly reached out and punched in a new number. Mara could feel his anxiety and had been watching him closely.

"What did you do, Skywalker?" She stepped closer to look at the new floor number he had requested. She knew what and who was on that floor. "Uh-oh, you're going to see Leia?"

Luke smiled at her nervously. "No, we're going to see her."

Mara shook her head vigorously. "Not a good idea to put she and I in the same room right now."

Luke had to agree with that. "If I know Leia, she'll stay at the office as long as she can today to avoid talking to Han about this."

Mara shifted the small bag on her shoulder. "Then why are we going?"

"I need to pick up Artoo…"

"No way am I going to share an apartment with you and that blasted droid." Mara interrupted.

They stepped out of the turbolift and looked down the long hallway at the guards stationed on the other end. "He's my droid, Mara. He's always stayed with me."

"No, Skywalker. Leave him with the Solo's for awhile." Mara glared at him.

Luke wanted to be upset but the truth was, he could see Mara's point. She had a lot of adjusting to do with living in a new place and having him around day and night. "All right. I'll see if Han cares that Artoo stays for a few more days."

Mara nodded just as they approached the guards who stepped aside to allow them entrance. Of course they knew Luke well and Mara herself had been a frequent visitor to the Chief of State's residence.

Luke buzzed the door and laughed as he did.

"What?" Mara wondered what was suddenly so funny.

"Be prepared. I felt all three of the kids reaching out to see who was at the door."

"Oh great." Mara didn't dislike the Solo terrors, as she referred to them, she just didn't have much experience being around kids.

The door finally slid open and Han's face lit up at the guests. "Come on in." He shut the door behind them and started to say something but was surprised when Mara stepped away from Luke who let the two bags he was carrying slide to the floor. He had barely had time to drop to his knees when all three kids came barreling around the corner and knocked him backwards as they all tried to jump into his arms.

Mara couldn't help but laugh as the dignified Jedi Master fell backwards onto his back with the three terrors all over him and yelling out his name. Luke didn't bother to get up but stayed on the floor, laughing in pure joy. Han finally shooed the kids away enough to give Luke a helping hand to stand up. Luke dusted himself off then knelt right back down even with the kids.

"I have missed the three of you so much." He had devoted all his attention to Mara's trial the last few weeks and had not visited them since before the entire ordeal with her had started.

"Where have you been, Uncle Luke?" Eight-year-old Jaina wrapped her arm around Luke's neck and snuggled close to him.

Luke kissed the top of her head. "I've been very busy, Jaina. But I promise to come by more often."

Anakin wiggled his way close to Luke's other side while Jacen noticed Mara for the first time. "Hello, Mara." Jacen greeted in his best voice.

Mara leaned over closer to him. "Hello Jacen and hello to Jaina and Anakin as well." Anakin only snuggled closer to Luke but Jaina gave her a smile and quick hello.

Luke hugged the two little ones in his arms tightly then kissed them both. "I promise to come by soon and stay for awhile but I have to get going right now." Jaina let go of his neck and Luke hugged Jacen tight against him. "And remember that I love the three of you...."

"......as much as all the stars in the sky." The three children finished together.

Luke laughed at them. "That's right and don't ever forget that." The kids started back out of the room. "Jacen, will you find Artoo and send him this way?"

"Sure, Uncle Luke."

Luke watched the three children disappear back around the corner of the foyer and couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness. He quickly stood and turned around to Han. "I have a favor to ask."

"Sure, Kid. Do you wanna sit down or are you just packed to run?"

Luke glanced at the two bags he had discarded before the children attacked. "No, we're not running. We picked up the rest of Mara's things from her room to take back to our apartment."

Han knew they were married but Mara moving in still shook him a little. "Are the two of you doing ok?"

Luke nodded. "We are but we would be even better if you could keep Artoo for a few more days."

Han glanced at Mara, who tried her best to not look guilty. "Still disliking Artoo, Jade?'

She smiled slyly. "I would just prefer a few days alone with Skywalker without that droid beeping and hooting every time I get near him."

Han knew how well the two of them got along. Almost as well as he and Threepio did. "Of course he can stay."

Luke turned back toward the living room entrance as Artoo rolled back into the foyer. Luke couldn't help but grin at seeing him. He knelt once again and affectionately patted the domed astromech droid who was whistling excitedly. "I'm glad to see you too, Artoo."

He listened to the series of beeps and hoots coming from the droid then frowned before answering. "No, Artoo. I think it would be best to stay here for a few more days."

Luke glanced over his shoulder at Mara as Artoo's beeps turned shrill. "No, it's not her fault. Artoo, you be nice."

Mara took a step forward and Luke stood to step between her and the droid. "I'm sorry Artoo but my decision is final. Mara and I were married today and we need a few days alone."

Even Luke took a step back when Artoo swiveled his upper 'head' and frantically rocked back and forth, emitting loud beeps. Luke watched as the droid finally quieted down and rolled back out of the foyer.

Luke couldn't believe the droid would be this upset. "Artoo, don't be this way."

Luke watched as his stubborn astromech kept on going until he was out of view. Luke whirled around when he heard snickering behind him. Han was laughing heartily but Mara was doing an admirable job of hiding her amusement.

"I can't believe even the droid is mad that we got married." She choked out. Luke watched her for a moment then picked up her bags again.

"Thanks for keeping him, Han. I don't think I can handle he and Mara in the same room for a few days."

Han agreed and slid the door back open for them. "I take it you know Leia isn't here?"

Mara stepped out into the hallway, giving them privacy. "Yea, I didn't sense her here. Is she ok?"

"She will be. She just needs time." Han answered.

Luke was too tired to discuss Leia. He knew it would be awhile before she would even talk to him. "Just tell her that I love her and I'm sorry."

Han nodded as Luke went out the door. "I will and you two kids be good."

Mara flashed him a quick smile and wave. She waited until they were in the turbolift before leaning her head against Luke's shoulder, feeling the sadness threatening to overtake him again. "She'll come around, Luke."

"I know." Luke kissed the top of her head just as the turbo doors opened at their floor. A few people were waiting to board the lift and they stepped aside to allow the Jedi Master, holding his new wife by the hand, to exit the lift and walk down the hallway toward their now shared apartment.

Chapter 7
Luke's apartment

Mara Jade had been to Luke's apartment many times during their times of friendship, yet this time it felt different. She followed Luke into the apartment and looked around at her new home. Since she had nothing but a rented room, Luke's four-room residence would be where they spent their married life. At least until I can find something bigger, she thought.

"So, you don't like my apartment, now?" Luke walked down the small hallway to the door on the right. Mara followed behind him.

"Stay out of my head, Jedi."

Ignoring Mara completely, Luke tossed her carryall bags onto his bed and began opening drawers in the small dresser situated near the double glass doors that lead out to the balcony. The living room had an identical set of doors and they too lead out to the same balcony. Mara stepped out onto the balcony briefly then back into the bedroom where she stood with her hands on her hips, watching Luke. "What do you think you're doing?"

Luke barely glanced at her. "Making room for your things."

"I'm not staying in this room with you." Mara was astounded that he could even think such a thing.

Luke didn't say a word but continued his task at hand.

"Are you listening to me, Skywalker?" She was fully prepared to smack him across the head to insure that he was.

He had finished clearing out the top two drawers so he straightened to look at his new wife. "It's hard not to when you're yelling."

"I'm not yelling." She yelled as Luke grinned at her and Mara had never felt like such an idiot. "I am not sharing this room with you." She replied much quieter.

Luke opened the closet and scooted all his hanging clothes over to one side. "I'll sleep on the sofa, Mara, but we both need someplace to put our things."

"Oh," Mara sat down on the corner of the bed. Luke was just being the gracious man he always was. "I don't mean to come down on you so hard."

Luke gaze caught something laying atop the dresser and he reached out to pick up the important item that always made his heart feel lighter. He turned around and held Mara's lightsaber out to her. "I think this belongs to you."

Mara's hand grasped the familiar object and smiled when doing so. "I didn't think I'd miss it as much as I did."

"Your lightsaber is a part of you." Mara glanced up at him, expecting a continuing lecture. Luke only smiled back at her.

"Thank you for keeping it." Mara sighed uncomfortably.

Luke knelt in the floor in front of her. "This is so strange for the both of us. I just want you to have someplace that you feel comfortable."

Mara looked at him for a moment, unsure how to broach the subject that she knew they had to talk about.

"Luke," She surprised herself by using his first name, "Do you realize that we're married?"

Luke laughed softly and sat back against the wall, still in front of Mara. "You are now Mrs. Mara Jade Skywalker."

Mara shook her head. "I haven't decided to take your name. I think it might be for the best if I didn't."

"Why would you say that?" Luke's voice raised a bit.

"If I stay Mara Jade then when we divorce, it will be easier."

Luke looked away quickly but Mara saw the look on his face. "Farmboy, don't romanticize this marriage. We both know why we got married and we both know that as soon as we can, we'll get divorced."

Luke struggled to his feet. "I know that, you don't have to keep reminding me." He grabbed his pillow from the bed and a blanket from the closet. "Refresher is across the hall. Of course you already know that." He mumbled as he trudged out of the bedroom and back into the living room.

Mara kicked off her shoes and shut the bedroom door to change into old sweat pants and a tee shirt to sleep in. Although it was still early out, Mara felt as if she hadn't slept in weeks and she knew Luke was the same way. She brushed her hair out quickly and sat on the edge of the bed, staring out the double glass doors. She could hear Luke enter and exit the refresher then everything was quiet. Knowing she had hurt his feelings and wouldn't be able to sleep until things were right, Mara carefully opened her door and peeked out.

"Luke?"

She heard a slight rustle. "What is it, Mara? Do you need something?"

Mara intentionally kept her eyes focused on the floor. "Uh...no. I just wanted to come in there a second and I wasn't sure if you were....if you were....if you slept in clothes or not." Mara could feel her face warming and was thankful the room was almost completely dark.

Luke knew she had to be embarrassed. "It's really a shame, you know?"

"What is?" She risked a quick gaze in his direction.

"Here we are married and you don't even know if I sleep in the nude or not." Luke managed to get the whole sentence out before he started laughing.

"Skywalker, can I come in there or not?" Mara didn't like this conversation very much. She'd spent one night with him and he had started out with clothes but then hadn't slept in them.. How was she supposed to know one way or the other.

"Grab a blanket and come in. I have sleep pants on." Luke was still laughing.

Mara grabbed another blanket out of the closet then padded barefoot into the living room. She could barely see Luke, lying on his stomach stretched out on the sofa. Mara spread the blanket out beside the sofa and laid down on it. Luke leaned over the edge to look down at her, his eyes still drowning in merriment.

"Give it a rest, Skywalker." Mara warned him.

Luke could think of many different things to say to exploit her embarrassment but he took pity, knowing she was terribly tense from everything that had happened today and from being in a new place. "It must feel strange to be spending the night somewhere you're not used to."

Mara sighed, wondering if he knew that's why she had come into the living room in the first place, to be near the one familiar thing to her, Luke. "I'm a big girl. I'll adjust."

"Just remember that this is your home too."

There were a few minutes of silence as the days tension slowly began to ease away. "Skywalker, thanks for what you did for me."

Luke's eyes had never left the woman lying on the floor beside him. "I wouldn't have let them hurt you, Mara." He replied softly.

Her head turned so she could look up at him better. "I know you wouldn't have." She quickly looked away from the affection permeating his presence. "And I know this hasn't been easy for you."

"It'll get easier when everyone gets used to us being married."

Luke was surprised when she laughed softly, genuine laughter being a rarity from her. "What is it, Jade?"

Mara sat up suddenly and Luke drew his head back to look at her. "Do you realize this is our wedding night?"

Even knowing they had been married this morning, Luke has never given much thought to the fact that this was their 'wedding night'. "Not exactly the way I would've pictured it." He loved hearing her laugh again.

Mara looked at him for a second then slowly leaned closer to kiss him softly on the lips. "I'm sorry it's not exactly like you've dreamed of, but congratulations." She stretched back out on the floor before he could reply.

After a few seconds of recovering from her unexpected display of affection, Luke relaxed back against the sofa and again leaned over the edge to look down at her. "Have you never dreamed about getting married, Mara?" He asked softly.

Mara continued to stare up at the ceiling. "The Emperor didn't allow such fantasies."

"What about after the Emperor?" Luke could see her smile after that question.

"Nay, I was obsessed with killing someone back then. Marriage has just never been something I thought I would ever do." Luke realized she hadn't really answered if she had ever dreamed of it, only that she never thought she would actually get married.

"So you never thought about having a family of your own?"

Mara didn't react violently like he expected. Instead, she only sighed. "I'm not the mother type, Skywalker."

"That's not what I asked you." Luke wondered if the darkness was making him brave enough to ask her such personal questions. Mara did look at him this time and Luke could tell she was struggling with what to say. "I haven't thought about the normal things other women think about. You know, the husband and kids. It just isn't me."

"I'm sorry if I'm prying."

"Let's just talk about something else." Mara closed her eyes. She could feel how her arms and legs were beginning to feel heavier and knew she needed to head back to bed soon. "So, explain to me again why you left the academy."

Luke groaned, wondering if she would ever stop teasing him that she had been right all along and that he had needed an extended break from teaching. He once again began explaining how he had started feeling trapped at the academy when the older students had taken over most of the teaching and he had nothing much to do. After a few minutes of reciting the things he knew Mara had heard over and over, Luke stopped talking and only stared at the woman sound asleep below him. He knew the easiest thing to do would be to carry her back to her bed but liked the idea of her being so close to him.

Luke quietly stood and treaded to the bedroom. After grabbing a blanket and pillow, he went back to the living room and knelt beside Mara. She moaned when he lifted her head to slide the pillow under it and turned over onto her side, facing the sofa. Luke brushed her hair away from her face and couldn't help himself from gently kissing her cheek.

"Goodnight, wife." He whispered, thinking how easy it was to think of her as such. Luke quickly stood, covered her with a blanket and lay back down on the sofa. He purposely lay on his stomach again so he could gaze at the woman below him until he fell asleep.

Luke moaned in his sleep and twisted uncomfortably on the small sofa. He struggled to suppress the dream that teetered on the brink of his mind but it proved to be too strong and Luke cried out a name as the memories of the night he and Mara had shared came alive in his mind...

Almost eight years ago.....

"Mara." Luke cried out and sat up in his bed as Mara's nightmare's invaded his own sleep. He hastily stood and even though he was only wearing a loose pair of shorts, he didn't bother to put on a robe but instead raced down the hallway of the rental chalet to Mara's bedroom. Her screams broke through the stillness of the night and Luke flung the door open and rushed into the room.

"Mara." He called out again as he grabbed the wildly thrashing woman on the bed. "Wake up, Mara."

Luke released Mara and grabbed his head with both hands as her nightmares flooded his mind after he had touched her. He could see Mara pull the trigger then slump to the floor crying as a man's body slammed against the wall then slid to the floor followed by other images of the same things over and over but always with a different victim. The only time the images stopped, they were replaced by ones of the Emperor berating Mara or punishing her for not fulfilling her job up to his satisfaction.

Luke raised his head and struggled to keep her memories from distorting his thoughts as he once again grasped Mara by the arms. This time, he collapsed against the bed and hugged her as close as possible. Wrapping his arms around her, Luke reached out to her and screamed as the blunt of her nightmares once again slammed against him. Luke pushed away at her nightmares until he could feel her regain control then she joined him in pushing away the memories that still haunted her. It was several minutes before Mara was fully awake and in total control of herself. She struggled away from Luke but he held her firm.

"Shush, I'm not going to hurt you, Mara." He continued to soothe her verbally until he felt secure enough to move one arm from around her to gently stroke her damp hair away from her face. His other arm was immovable since it was still wrapped tightly around her.

Luke was angry that she was still tormented by the past. He had tracked her to this planet and had been with her the last few weeks, encouraging her to move forward and making sure she knew she had a friend in him. He knew what it felt like to be all alone and Luke wanted her to know that she wasn't. And now, he had to wonder if their talks of her past were causing her terrible nightmares.

Mara sobbed against her friend, too emotionally drained to put on her usual tough demeanor. Luke held her tightly against him and rocked them back and forth as best he could. After a few moments, he could feel Mara begin to relax.

"I'm sorry, Luke." She whispered.

Luke looked down at the pale face he held against his chest and could barely see. "Don't ever apologize to me for having emotions, Mara." Luke reached down and grabbed the thin blanket when he felt her shiver. He drew it up around her then hugged her even closer.

Luke breathed deeply as the burning and darkness from her memories still resonated through his mind. "Is that what your nightmares are like all the time?" He pried gently.

"No." Mara snuffled. "They're not usually this intense."

Luke had thought his own nightmares were horrible but none he had ever had compared to what he had just witnessed. "These nightmares...are they real memories?"

Mara stiffened slightly. "Yes, those are the people.....I can still remember all their faces."

Luke felt his anger flare at the obscene way the Emperor had used this innocent child and molded her into a killing machine. He almost felt sorry that his father had been the one to end the Emperor's miserable life. "You should have never been forced to do those things, Mara."

Mara wanted to argue that she could have ran away or defied the Emperor and not completed her missions, but she knew the man holding her knew the truth. There was no running away or defying the Emperor. She had done what she was told in order to live. "I thought I had finally come to grips with all this." She murmured.

"This may be something that will forever plague you, Mara."

She chuckled cynically. "That's a comforting thought."

"I'm sorry but it could be true."

Mara shivered again. "I don't know if I can handle these type of nightmares again."

"You won't have to handle them alone, Mara. We'll work through them together so you can come to terms with your past."

Mara tugged out of his arms slightly to look up at him. "Why would you help me?"

Luke smiled and caressed the side of her face. "Because you are my friend and that's what friends do for each other."

Mara seemed appalled. "You can still be my friend after seeing what I've done?" She knew Luke Skywalker was unlike any other she had met, but for anyone to see what he had seen and still want her as a friend would be beyond comprehension.

The only thing Luke knew was that this woman and her friendship was something he wanted and needed in his life. "I will always be your friend, Mara. Nothing you have ever done or will ever do can change that."

Mara stared at him another moment then surprised herself by settling back in against his chest. "Thank you."

Luke could feel her tears against his bare chest though she made not a sound while crying. A few minutes later, Mara drew back again and took several deep breaths. As the pain and embarrassment from her nightmares receded, she became aware of the delicate predicament they were in. She only wore a flimsy nightgown that buttoned up the front and clung to her while Luke only had shorts on yet they were pressed up against each other. Mara nervously glanced away from Luke's bare chest then couldn't help herself from returning her gaze there once again. She reached out and attempted to wipe away the dampness from her tears on his chest. Luke jumped when her hand contacted with his chest and started to pull away. Mara looked up at him. "Please don't leave."

Luke looked down at her and struggled to make himself not bolt from her softly spoken plea. "Mara, I need to get back to my room." This situation could easily get out of hand.

Mara ran her hand up his arm. "I don't want to be alone right now."

Luke took a deep breath, chastising himself for thinking of such things when Mara was just asking for comfort. "Of course I'll stay. I'll hold you until you go back to sleep."

Mara nodded and allowed herself to relax in the strong Jedi's arms. She was surprised at how comfortable and soothing it was for Luke's arms to be around her. This feeling of security was unfamiliar to her as she had never sought comfort from another before. "Thank you for being here." She whispered against his chest.

Luke found himself unable to reply to her when Mara innocently pressed herself against him, wanting to continue feeling so safe and secure, but instead pressed her leg against the one part that she shouldn't have. He nuzzled her hair and recited the Jedi Code over and over in his head. After a few moments, he felt strong enough to answer. "I'll always be here for you, Mara."

Mara drew out of his arms slightly to look at him again. "I don't understand why you consider me your friend but I'm glad you do."

Luke couldn't stop his hand from smoothing her still damp hair away from her beautiful face. "Why would I not consider you a friend? You're always there when I need help and you keep me from losing myself in the madness." Luke kissed her gently on the lips, surprising himself by doing so.

Mara was as surprised as he was and searched his eyes for answers she couldn't find anywhere else. "I've been laying here wishing I didn't feel so dead inside all the time."

Luke didn't like the sound of that. "Dead? What do you mean?" He didn't like the vacant look in her eyes and the weariness in her voice.

"Why do I not feel things the way other people do? Why am I so empty and cold inside?" Mara's gaze seemed to bore through Luke and it broke his heart as it did.

"You're not empty and cold, Mara. I know that you feel things. You wouldn't have helped save Leia's kids if you didn't or you would have killed me along time ago." The look on her face was making Luke's panic rise. He felt her slipping away from him even though he still held her in his arms.

"I feel nothing, Luke." Mara closed her eyes and Luke tried to reach out to her through the Force but he felt nothing. Mara was wrapping up inside herself and he was desperate to stop her. Luke lowered his head to Mara's and captured her lower lip between his teeth. He bit gently and felt her tremble.

"Tell me again that you don't feel?" Luke dared her, not understanding why he was so angry that she was despondent. Mara's eyes fluttered open and she looked at him with a mixture of disbelief and hope.

"Luke." She mumbled just as he caught her bottom lip again. This time when Luke bit down gently, she moaned and instinctively ran her hand from his hip up to his naked chest. Luke let go of her lip and pressed his mouth firmly against the open mouth that responded so eagerly to his bites.

Mara's hand drew his mouth as tightly against hers as she could and was surprised when Luke suddenly pulled away. "Mara, tell me that you feel this."

She nodded but that was not enough for Luke. He pulled back away when she tried to kiss him again. "Yes, Luke. I do feel this."

Luke didn't pull away from her kisses this time but responded with as much passion as he could. His tongue flicked inside Mara's mouth and she groaned at the sensation. Luke released her swelling lips to pull her head backwards and nibble the hollow of her neck. Mara arched backwards, causing her leg to slip between Luke's. He shuddered and threw his head back away from Mara, panting heavily. "Have to stop, Mara."

She retaliated by attacking his exposed neck then whispering into his ear. "Please don't stop, Luke. I want to feel like this. I want to not be empty inside."

Luke felt all control slipping as she gently bit down on his collarbone and suckled the skin around it. "Mara...are you sure?" He wanted her more than he had ever wanted anything in his life.

Mara stopped her suckling and stared at him a brief moment. There was no way she wanted these feelings to stop. "Yes, make love to me, Luke."

Mara kissed him gently and teased his tongue with hers. After only a few seconds of teasing, Luke deepened the kiss and pushed Mara backward to loom above her. He could feel her heart pounding beneath him and he was sure she could feel his. Luke drew his knees up and sat up astride Mara. His eyes never left hers as he slowly unbuttoned her nightgown and pushed it open. His gaze finally broke from hers as he lowered his head to flick his tongue across one of her nipples. Mara gasped and instinctively arched her back up. Luke continued to lightly tease her nub with his tongue until Mara's hand found its way to his shorts and rubbed against the straining bulge. Luke moaned and captured her rosy tip in his mouth and suckled it gently. He released it and repeated the same thing with the other one until he was sure he and Mara both would explode soon if he didn't continue. Luke slid off to the side of Mara as his mouth sought hers and his hand slid lower. Luke's tongue darted inside her mouth as his hand found what it was searching for.

Mara's mouth left Luke's as she arched her neck backwards while his fingers showed her a pleasure she had never known before. Luke gently stroked Mara and watched as her eyelids fluttered shut and her lips moved as she panted in enjoyment. Luke was seeing Mara in a very different way and although he didn't want it to it, he wanted her so badly that he felt as if every inch of his body had been set on fire.

Releasing Mara, he shrugged out of his shorts then nudged her legs apart with his knee. "Mara." He stopped himself before going any further. "Are you sure?" For them to do this would be a huge step and he had to be sure this was what she wanted.

She reached up with both hands to grasp his face and pull him above her. "I want you, Luke."

Luke trembled from her words and slid easily into her until he felt resistance. Luke opened his mouth to question her but could only groan as she wrapped her legs around his waist and pushed against him. Luke pushed harder and could hear her wince but she still proceeded. "Don't stop, Luke."

If her words weren't encouragement enough, she tightened her legs to draw him even closer. Luke's mouth descended upon hers in a fury as he buried himself deeply inside the woman below him.

Mara moaned and rocked her hips instinctively against Luke's. She found herself easily matching the fast pace he was setting. Luke's hand frantically held Mara's face as he kissed her fast and furiously. He had never felt so drawn to anyone as he did to this woman right now. Luke could not stop himself from reaching out to Mara through the Force and her mind screamed out to his as her feelings and emotions slammed into his. Luke let go of all his barriers as Mara's mind flooded every space inside him, causing him to feel intoxicated with her. Mara felt as if she were standing on a cliff and after another push from Luke, she tumbled off into ecstasy. She instinctively squeezed her legs tighter and that was all it took for Luke to tremble violently and cry out Mara's name as he pushed a final time and exploded inside her.

Feeling the sensations leave and weariness overtake him, Luke rested his head in Mara's neck as he savored the feel of her around him. He didn't know how to explain this to her but this experience was nothing like it had ever been for him before. Mara had made him feel to a depth that he had never felt with any other woman. After a few seconds, Luke drew back to look down at Mara and from the look on her face, he wondered if they had just made a horrible mistake.

Luke jerked awake and for a moment, forgot why he was sleeping on the sofa. He took a deep, cleansing breath and tried to still his pounding heart before he risked leaning over the sofa to look on the floor. Luke sighed in relief, thankful Mara had slept through his dream and that their friendship had survived the trials they had put it through. It had seemed like a lifetime ago when they had shared the night together. And although he had never regretted what had happened between the two of them, he had worried for many weeks afterwards that they had totally destroyed their friendship by taking a step that they were not prepared for.

Luke rubbed his tired eyes as he remembered how tense things had been between them. It was shortly after they had collapsed into each other's arms that it had suddenly dawned on Mara that they had used no protection. Since they were still strongly attuned to each other through the Force, Luke had sensed her thought at the same time she had. What followed had been several tense days until they knew Luke had not impregnated her. Even after they knew, they had felt uncomfortable and nervous around each other but slowly, they had rebuilt their friendship. But they had always taken great care never to cross that line again, scared of losing their friendship if they did. Now with this marriage with all the kissing and cuddling was making that decision difficult to live with.

Luke knew that was why Mara kept reminding him that this was a marriage in name only. She didn't want to risk their friendship again and neither did he. Yet, tonight he and Mara had grown closer and connected in a way that they never had before. As much as he thought they could have a relationship that extended beyond friendship, Luke wasn't about to do anything to jeopardize the friendship that he had come to depend upon. Luke carefully pulled her blanket up around her tighter and made a promise to himself that no matter what, he would protect Mara and their friendship.

Chapter 8
Two weeks later
Luke and Mara's apartment

Several days later, Mara was positive it had been a mistake to marry Luke. After their first, friendly night together, they had spent every waking moment arguing. Mara picked up Luke's boot and threw it out of the bedroom door, with it crashing against the wall beside the refresher door. She picked up the second one and was about to let it loose when Luke appeared in the doorway.

"Don't you dare throw that boot." He pointed his finger at her in warning.

"And why shouldn't I? I told you to not leave them lying around. I am so sick and tired of tripping over them." She hurled the boot toward Luke, who sidestepped quickly.

He stepped into the room before she found anything else to throw. "What is wrong with you?" He knew being confined to the apartment with each other was trying their patience, but up until now, they had at least been civil to each other.

Mara realized things were getting out of hand. She looked away from Luke and tried to control her irritation. "It's just been hard adjusting."

Luke knew exactly what she was talking about. He had never had such a hard time securing bathroom time. "There has been quite a few changes lately."

Mara nodded but still didn't look at her new roommate. "I hadn't given much thought to what it would be like while we were actually living together."

"What? You didn't plan and think everything out?" His comment came out more sarcastically than he had intended.

"No Farmboy, I didn't think this one out. I was just a little distracted by the fact that your precious government wanted to kill me."

Luke's mouth gaped open. "My government?"

Mara couldn't believe they were going to fight again. "Well, your sister is the leader…"

Mara stopped as soon as all the color drained from Luke's face. He briskly opened the glass double doors and walked out onto the sunny balcony. Mara followed but kept her distance so he wouldn't feel crowded.

"She'll get used to us being married." She wasn't so sure of that herself.

Luke snorted. "Yes, I'm sure she'll eventually get used to it. But I'm more concerned with not telling her about our marriage before everyone else found out. I'm not sure if she'll forgive me for that."

"So what?" Mara said off-handedly.

Luke turned from looking out over Coruscant to stare in confusion at the woman standing beside him. "How can you say that? Leia is my sister. Of course I don't want her to be upset with me."

Mara shrugged. "Yes, she's your sister. She's also your Lord and Master."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Luke's voice had definitely cooled again.

Mara knew she was treading on dangerous ground. "Leia controls everything you do, Skywalker. Yes, she's going to be upset with you but it's because she didn't get to dictate who and how you got married."

Luke did not like where this conversation was heading. "You're going to be around Leia a lot more now that we are married. It's unavoidable so I suggest you change your attitude towards her."

Mara's mouth opened slightly at Luke's boldness. "We may be married, Jedi, but that does not mean I have to be around your puppet master anymore than absolutely necessary."

It amazed Luke how easily Mara could infuriate him. He had no temper and unlimited patience unless he was dealing with her. Mara didn't give him the chance to reply. "Besides, Leia does not like me and I'm sure she will have no problem not seeing me."

"Leia respects you and considers you a friend." He countered.

"Oh really. I guess that's why she showed me so much support when her cronies were trying to get rid of me, permanently." Mara sneered.

With that, Mara walked back into the bedroom with Luke right behind her. "Leia stayed out of the entire mess, Mara."

Mara suddenly stopped walking, causing Luke to almost run into her. "Then let her continue to stay out of this mess, out of our lives."

Luke was saved from replying by the door buzzer. Mara looked in that direction. "Talon is here." She didn't wait for him to reply but instead made her way to the door.

Luke waited until both Mara and Talon were seated before sinking into a chair himself. "So Talon, what's the latest gossip on the marriage of the century?"

Talon could tell they both were in a bad mood from just being in the room with them. The room was thick with tension. He had visited regularly since they were married almost two weeks ago and he could tell they had been confined together way too much during that time. But neither was anxious to go out in public. "Borsk Fey'lya is having a hard time buying into this marriage."

"We knew that would be a problem but no one can prove that we're not a happily married couple, right dear?" Luke knew he was pushing Mara's buttons. They had been jabbing each other non-stop and he was determined to outlast her this time.

Mara glared at him. "Yes dear."

Talon shook his head at the two of them. He couldn't understand how they hadn't killed each other by now. "We need to figure out a way to solidify your marriage. To make the court think you are rock solid."

"Well, we could have a baby." Luke replied with a sarcastic gleam in his eye as his gaze met his wife's, knowing full well it would irritate her.

Without any hesitation, Mara leaned toward him and patted Luke on the leg. "That would mean we would have to have sex, Skywalker, and the one time was traumatic enough for me."

Talon's jaw dropped to the floor but Luke didn't miss a beat. "So you've taken to insulting my manhood now?"

Mara settled more comfortably into the sofa across from Luke and grinned. She couldn't believe he'd left himself open for that one. "Manhood? Are we referring to the mystical and magical state of mind that all men guard so profusely or are we referring to...little Luke that never gets to come out and play?"

This time, Luke's eyes widened and he had to force his jaw not to join Talon's on the floor. Mara's grin widened as she felt Luke's shock then his determination not to let her best him. "Little Luke?" He breathed; not sure that even Mara was brave enough to go there.

Mara shook her head, would he never learn to not utter comments that would allow her to reply. "Yes, little Luke," Her eyes flicked downward from his gaze, "you know." She knew he understood perfectly when he shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "So is that what you were referring to then? Was I insulting little Luke?"

Luke's eyebrow arched at that one while Talon slumped down in his seat, desperately trying to form an escape route. He would make sure to sit closer to the door next time.

Luke smiled slightly and Talon knew it was about to get worse, as it had been doing so steadily since the fateful day he watched the two of them say I do.

"Mara, I seem to remember a time when you weren't insulting...little Luke. In fact, if I had to guess by how loud your moans of pleasure were, I'd say you rather enjoyed little Luke."

When Mara inhaled sharply, Talon knew for sure she would kill him this time. After all the threats and finally the friendship they had forged, Mara was about to murder the Jedi Master.

Luke couldn't help but smile at the utter shock etched on his new bride's face. It was such a rare occasion to be able to view such a treat. His smile soon faded as Mara's eyes narrowed to slits and she slowly stood up. Luke held his hands up in front of him as Mara took the small distance between them in only one step.

Talon silently urged Luke to defend himself as Mara's fist drew back. Then she sidestepped Luke and instead directed her blow to the back of his chair right beside his head. Luke yelped as his chair tipped over backwards and he was helpless to do anything except grab the chair arms for help.

Mara did not bother to glance back at him as she stalked to the bedroom and slammed the door. Luke winced as the vibration carried from the wall, across the floor, through his broken down chair back and finally to his head.

Talon shook his head in exasperation at the two individuals that he often felt like he was raising. They were worse than any two children he had ever been around and he wasn't sure if he, or both of them, would survive this ordeal. He looked over at Luke, who was struggling to his feet.

"I think I made her mad." Luke stated, thankful that he had never really liked that chair anyway.

Talon smirked at the ridiculous site of the Jedi setting the chair back upright to have it fall right back down and wished he had a holo-recorder. He was sure Solo would pay big money for this. "Luke, are you all right?"

Luke dusted himself off and stared down the hallway where Mara had disappeared to. "Yea, I'm fine." He finally decided it would be better to let her come back on her own so Luke found a new seat on the sofa, eager to change the subject.

"I don't see anything we can do, Talon, except just stay married and be friendly with each other in public." Luke groaned after saying that, knowing they had been hiding out in his apartment and not putting in many public appearances.

"So the two of you will go out in public, soon?" Talon knew he had Luke just where he wanted him. Without any prompting, he and Mara might hide out here forever.

"Yes, Talon, we'll go out soon." He agreed.

"Good but just be careful about what you do." Talon frowned when another problem came to mind. "Has Mara talked to you about Dolis yet?"

Luke had started to answer when he heard the bedroom door open and could feel Mara's approach. "No, what about Dolis?"

Mara sat down on the opposite end of the sofa but didn't even glance Luke's way. "When are we leaving, Talon?"

Talon knew she was being difficult to Luke on purpose but he wasn't about to get in the middle of their argument. "Tomorrow." He answered Mara.

She nodded. "Good, it's about time that I get off this planet for awhile."

Talon finally couldn't stand Luke being left out in the cold. "Luke, Dolis is the planet where we have been negotiating a new trade contract between the local trading company, Mara and myself. In fact," He turned his attention to Mara. "The man Mara's been negotiating with came with us to Coruscant and has been stranded here the last few weeks."

Mara thought back to the numerous bouquets of flowers and notes she had received from the Minro Trading representative, Jervis, since the entire mess with the New Republic had started. At least she had managed to avoid seeing him in person. "Oh, I'm sure he's kept himself busy."

She saw Luke glance over at her and she met his look for the first time since their spat. "What, Jedi?"

"Nothing..." He could tell she was still furious with him. "How long will you be gone?"

Mara shrugged. "Around three days there and three days back. I only have to be on planet long enough to sign a few final papers and pick up my ship."

Luke nodded. He had heard her mention that the Jade's Fire was in a hangar somewhere, just waiting for her to return but he had not known where exactly. "So you'll only be gone a week?"

Mara leaned closer to him and gave him an exaggerated sultry look. "Will you miss me, husband?"

Both their heads snapped around to look at Talon when he interrupted. "No, because he's going with you."

Mara glared at her business associate as she leaned back away from her husband. "Why would he go with us?"

"Because you've only been married two weeks. How would it look for you to run off on a trip without Luke?"

Mara sighed, knowing he was right. They had to keep up appearances and her leaving Luke for a business trip would not help their image as a happily married couple. She looked at Luke. "What do you think? Are you up for a trip?"

"I'm always ready to jump in a ship." He grinned at her and Mara knew he may be a Jedi, but he would always be a pilot. Suddenly her face paled.

"Talon, we would have to appear...married on the ship, in front of the crew. I don't know if we're ready for a constant show like that." She worried aloud.

"You have no choice, Mara. Just don't kill each other and occasionally kiss or hold hands or something affectionate like that and everyone will believe."

Mara nodded, deep in thought. No one should expect her to be a different person now that she was married. She would just act the same with a few affectionate gestures toward Luke every once and a while. She looked over at her husband. "Are you all right with this, Skywalker?"

Luke nodded his agreement. Talon finished up with a few business details with Mara then bid them farewell to prepare the Wilde Karrde for their late departure tomorrow.

Luke decided to go ahead and pack his bag then stopped to stick his head in the refresher where Mara was gathering up her personal items. "Mara, I'm going to ask Han to keep Artoo while we're gone."

Mara had finished packing in the refresher and pushed him out of the way to walk into the bedroom. "Good idea."

Luke rolled his eyes at her back. "So glad you agree."

Luke walked back into the living room and dialed up Leia and Han's number on the holovid. After a few seconds, Han's face appeared in front of him on the small screen.

"Luke, it's good to see you. How's married life treating you?" Even with the problems between Luke and Leia, Han couldn't resist teasing the young Jedi about finally tying the knot.

"Hello, Han. It's different than single life, that's for sure." Luke was glad to see Han.

Han grinned; thinking how different it must be indeed. He wasn't sure if this marriage had happened to get Mara's trial dismissed or not but he was sure that the two Jedi had feelings for each other. "Jade treating you ok, Kid?"

Luke chuckled. "She's treating me fine. Han, we have to make a quick trip with Karrde and I was wondering if Artoo would be ok staying with you awhile longer?" Luke wasn't sure Artoo would want to come back home anyway.

Han was intrigued. "Sure Artoo's fine here. He's no trouble at all. So where are you off to?"

"Uh, Dolis I believe. Karrde and Mara have to finalize a deal they were working on before Mara was arrested."

"Dolis, I don't think I've been there." Han looked off to the side for a second and Luke knew his sister had made an appearance.

"I suppose she still doesn't want to talk to me?" He asked softly.

Han hated being in this position. He waited until Leia left the room again before answering. "Give her time, Kid. She loves you and she'll come around."

Luke hated being at odds with his sister. "I hope you're right." Luke didn't give him a chance to answer. "Thanks for watching Artoo, Han."

"No problem. Take your time on your trip. The two of you should stay gone for awhile. A honeymoon type trip to get used to married life without Coruscant breathing down your neck."

Luke hadn't considered that option but he had to admit, it sounded like a great idea. "You don't mind hanging onto the droid for a while?"

"If I can put up with Threepio, then Artoo certainly isn't going to bother me. Just be careful, take your time and we'll see you when you get back."

"Thanks Han" Luke flicked the holovid off and sat staring at the screen until Mara came into the room.

"Problem?"

He stood and shook his head. "No, no problem. Did you get packed?"

Mara answered by dropping her carryall bag at his feet. He grimaced as it thudded against his boots but refrained from commenting, not wanting to fight again. "How do you feel about getting some dinner out tonight?"

Mara sighed. "I was thinking the same thing. We probably should stop hiding out in this apartment. Any place in mind?"

Luke looked at their casual dress. "Some place simple. Maybe the small quick food place down the street?"

Mara nodded her agreement so they headed out the door, down the turbolift and out onto the crowded street.

People immediately began staring at them so Luke took Mara by the hand and they hurried toward the small restaurant. They entered the eatery and spotted a small table in the back that was perfect for them and had almost reached it when an arm snaked out from another table and grabbed Luke's arm.

"Luke, Mara...good to see the two of you."

Luke relaxed as he turned to face Wedge. He was surprised to see his old friend sitting by himself drinking a cup of steaming caf.

"Wedge." Luke gripped his offered hand and shook it affectionately. "It's good to see you."

Mara stepped closer to Luke. "Hello, Wedge."

"Mara." He looked the two of them over. "The two of you look tired. Married life keeping you busy?"

Mara knew exactly what he was referring to. "Yes, Wedge, we had a lot of catching up to do."

Both men laughed and Luke squeezed her hand in warning. Wedge was no fool when it came to them. Wedge motioned to the seats across from him. "The two of you are welcome to join me...unless you want to be alone."

Luke glanced at Mara then back at Wedge. "We actually wouldn't mind a little company if you're sure we wouldn't be bothering you."

"Sit down by all means then."

Luke stepped to the side while Mara slid into the booth then he followed. After ordering, Luke wanted to make sure Wedge wasn't upset with him. "Wedge, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about getting married in person." He felt like he had betrayed his friend in some way.

"Luke, you did what you had to do. I know there wasn't time to invite the friends and relatives and that doesn't bother me. I do hope the two of you will let the bunch of us throw you a congratulations party now that you've come out of hiding."

Mara had to laugh at his observation. "Pretty obvious we've been hiding out then?"

Wedge's food arrived but he moved it to the side until Luke and Mara's arrived. "I can't say I blame you though. I do think the press is moving on now that one of the senators has been caught having a girlfriend and a wife."

Mara was thrilled. "So our marriage is old news now? That's the best thing I've heard in days."

Luke grinned at her. "We're old news, dearie."

Mara giggled at him then watched as the server droid set their plates of food onto the table. No one talked much until the food had vanished and the empty plates collected. Luke laid his arm on the back of the booth seat and Mara twisted slightly to lean against him.

Wedge had to smile at their ease with one another. Even if their marriage was fake, like some people believed, there was a comfortable ease between the two of them that wasn't fake. "So, can I have that party for you?" He knew they would object so he continued. "The two of you have quite a few friends and they all want to congratulate you. What better way to do that than one, large party."

He watched as the two of them looked at each other then Luke sighed. "I suppose it would be all right. We don't want to seem like we're avoiding everyone."

Mara interrupted Wedge before he could speak. "But we're leaving on a trip with Talon Karrde tomorrow so it'll have to wait until we get back."

"No problem. Just contact me when you get back and we'll set something up." Wedge glanced at his chrono. "It's been great seeing you two but I'm afraid I've got to get back to work."

"Pulling a late night?" Luke asked

"Paperwork...you know what the paperwork is like in the NR." Wedge complained with a groan.

Mara couldn't help but laugh. They all shook hands again then Wedge left, leaving the two alone. Luke leaned his head against the top of Mara's and breathed in the smell of her. "We survived this outing fairly well." He whispered against her hair.

Mara tilted sideways to look up at him. "I suppose we did." She was rather pleased that they had done well while being around a friend. Luke looked down at her and his smile increased at the laughter in her emerald eyes. "I like seeing you happy."

Luke's hand went to the side of her face as he gently brushed his lips against hers. Wedge had returned to the table to tell them he had paid both bills but decided not to disturb them when he saw Luke's head dip toward Mara's and the two of them kiss. Knowing that they thought he was gone and the kiss couldn't be for his benefit, Wedge watched them for a second then turned to leave. He was grinning broadly when he stepped out into the street, feeling sure that Luke and Mara were going to be just fine.

CONTINUED IN PART 2 (chapters 9-21)