SETTING: Post ROTJ in an alternate universe where Luke and Leia both know they are twins and that Darth Vader was their father but no one else knows.

SUMMARY: Leia struggles through a difficult time that no one seems to be able to help her with until a certain Jedi Knight returns to base from a mission.

RATING: PG

DISCLAIMER: Anything and everything Star Wars belongs to George Lucas and I am making no money from this. I do not intend any infringement but only wish to entertain myself and hopefully a few others with my rantings.

Their Secret

Han kept a watchful eye on Leia all during the ceremony. He could tell that she was emotionally and physically drained. The impromptu ceremony commemorating the Alderaan victims was planned to help celebrate and remember the lives that were lost but it also brought back the pain of losing them. It had seemed like a good idea to hold such a ceremony now that the empire had been defeated to remind everyone that their deaths were not in vain, but now toward the end of the remembrance ceremony, everyone realized it might have been to soon to hold such an emotional ceremony.

For Leia, it brought back the memories of her homeworld, friends and family that were lost to her forever. She had been on edge for days as the ceremony date drew close and now it was finally coming to an end. By the way Leia looked, it was none too soon. Han worried because her face was pale and dark shadows were forming around her eyes. Sleep had apparently not come easy to her lately. Even Mon Mothma kept glancing at her worriedly. The ceremony had officially ended but there were many people crowded around the former princess, offering words of comfort. Han and Mon Mothma were doing their best to speed things up, knowing that Leia’s heart was heavy with grief. Finally, the room had emptied out except for only a small handful of close friends including Wedge Antilles and Rogue Squadron. Since Luke Skywalker had left on an extended mission, the squadron had kept close to Han and Leia.

They were all trying to comfort Leia but she really wanted no part of it. She paced around the room and didn’t listen as Han suggested she lie down in her room for a while. Han and Wedge glanced at each other, not sure how to calm her down.

She suddenly stopped pacing and looked up at the door. They all watched her curiously and were surprised when a few seconds later, the door swung open. Luke Skywalker strode hurriedly into the room, still dressed in his flight suit. He had not taken time to brief his superiors but had immediately came to Leia. Their bond in the force was strong and Leia was emitting such strong feelings of grief that it had not been hard to find her. He didn't bother to shut the door but kept walking the short distance to the end of the ballroom where the small group was gathered. Leia started walking toward him then broke into a slight run and practically jumped into his arms as they met.

Han slowly sat down beside Wedge as he watched Luke and Leia. Everyone was surprised at her actions because Leia had been so tightly controlled with her emotions the last few weeks. Even though Han knew there was a deep friendship between the two, he was still surprised by the apparent depth of the bond they shared.

Luke sighed deeply and felt his sister’s tentative force sense reach out to him. He willingly opened his mind and felt the despair and grief that was trying to consume her.

*I’m so sorry Leia, I wish I had been here for you.*

She sobbed and Luke hugged her even tighter. His hand ran up and down her back and sent her reassuring thoughts. Leia openly cried for all her lost friends and family. For the innocence in her life that she would never get back.

*Luke, when will the pain go away?*

He soothed her as best he could and in a way no one else would ever be able to. Their bond and ability to comfort one another would never be broken.

*In time sweet Leia, it will hurt less.*

The small group of people in the room watched them in amazement. Neither one had uttered a spoken word yet somehow they knew they were communicating. They saw Leia break down and then gradually get her emotions back under control. Luke just stood there and held her but it was obvious he was doing much more. Something that none of them had been able to do. Wedge and Han glanced at each other again. How could they have not noticed that Luke and Leia had grown so close. Leia clung to Luke as if her life depended on it. Han wasn’t sure that it didn’t and that left him very confused. He and Leia had grown much closer in the last few weeks, maybe even falling in love. No, he knew he was in love with her but was she with him? He thought so but now looking at her and Luke. The two of them seemed as if they were one person. Han knew he would have to talk to Leia about this soon and set things straight. If she wanted the kid then...he would not stand in their way. Luke deserved to be happy also.

Luke and Leia gradually drew apart, totally unaware that everyone was watching them. Luke held her face in his hands and used his thumbs to dry her face. He kissed her forehead and and stayed close to her.

"I promise you that things will be better. No one will have died in vain."

She nodded slightly. "When you say it, I believe it."

Their foreheads rested against each other’s and there was no one doubting that a deep bond existed between the two. Luke kissed her forehead once more then released her. He linked his arm around her waist and she did the same. When they turned around to draw nearer to the small group, even Han was amazed at the change in Leia. She was still tired but the fire was back. Han looked at Luke. He had seen Luke do many magical things, but this was the most confusing one. With a hug and a few words, he had done what none of them could in the past few weeks.

With her arm still around Luke and his around her, Leia took a deep, cleansing breath then began speaking. "I really want to thank all of you for this ceremony. Sometimes, it’s so hard to let go of the past. My family and friends should not die in vain. We have won this war but there is so much more to be done. We have to restore peace back and get on with our lives. Thank you all for helping me through this." Leia’s speech was rewarded with a small round of applause.

Han listened to Leia and his eyes never stopped looking back and forth from her and Luke. When Luke hugged her close after her speech, there was no denying the love and pride on his face. The kid was in love with her. No sooner had Han thought that when Luke looked over at him as if he heard what he said. After looking at his friend for a moment, Luke slowly shook his head no.

Han was annoyed that Luke had picked up on his thought but more confused by Luke’s headshake. He was no idiot, he could practically see the love oozing between the two of them. Luke and this force thing were handy at times but he knew what he saw. Luke looked at Leia and she glanced at him.

*Han thinks you and I are in love with each other.*

Leia laughed softly and looked at Han. *Little does he know.*

*Maybe we should tell them.*

They were all surprised when Leia stiffened and spoke sharply to Luke. "What?"

Luke was learning that when surprised, Leia always forgot to speak with her mind. He laughed softly at her blunder and shock on her face.

*I mean it. He loves you Leia and he sees me as coming between the two of you. He needs to know I’m your brother.* Luke insisted. *We should have told all of them after Endor.*

*It was hard Luke. So many things were going on and...*

Luke sighed, knowing she would put this off forever if he kept giving into her. "Now is the time Leia."

Mon Mothma was bothered by what she saw, although she couldn't exactly figure out why. It was like listening to only half a conversation. She felt as if an important discussion was taking place and they were only hearing part of it.

"What’s going on here? Are the two of you speaking telepathically?"

For a moment, they only stared at each other and everyone could tell they were arguing. Leia finally nodded and turned to Mon Mothma.

"Yes, we are." She replied softly.

Admiral Ackbar was amazed. "How is that possible?"

Luke sighed. "You’d all better sit down for this one."

A few of the Rogues decided this might be the best time for them to leave and excused themselves hurriedly. Luke asked Wedge to stay while Mon Mothma and Admiral Acbar found seats at a table still decorated in Alderaanian colors. Leia let go of Luke to run her hand over one of the decorated tables. Leia looked at the Alderaanian colors and frowned. It had been so long ago that Alderaan has been lost and it still bothered her. Luke had been encouraging her not to dwell too much in the past. She would always have her memories and moving forward with her future would not diminish those. Maybe Luke had been right all this time. It was time to get everything out in the open and start living a real life. She turned back around and reached over to take her brother's hand before starting to speak.

"There’s really no easy way to start this story," Leia began, " You all should know by now that Luke was hidden from the Empire because of his Jedi abilities. His father was a very powerful Jedi named Anakin Skywalker." Leia took a deep breath so Luke picked up the story. He felt a direct approach would be best.

"What you don’t know is that I was not the only child of Skywalker. I have a twin sister who was also hidden from the Emperor. Leia is my sister."

They gave everyone a moment as the news hit them. Luke squeezed Leia’s hand. He knew how hard this was for her. Everyone already knew Darth Vader was his father. The new revelations affected Leia more than him.

Han was the first to react. "The two of you are twins?"

"Yes, that’s why Leia heard me on Bespin and how we can communicate through the force."

Leia squeezed her brother's hand. "Luke here is my little brother."

Luke snorted. "There's no proof that you're older than me."

Admiral Ackbar interrupted their disagreement. "The two of you are twins and the children of Darth Vader."

Leia sighed. "Yes, our father was Darth Vader but he was also Anakin Skywalker. We prefer to remember him as the Jedi Knight he was and returned to before his death."

Mon Mothma grasped one of Luke's and Leia's hands each. "I knew Anakin Skywalker.when the Jedi were thousands in number. He was a good man who followed the wrong person. Palpatine was not always so evil nor so easy to see as the enemy. Anakin made wrong decisions and he never recovered from those. You should be proud that he was your father. He was a great man and Jedi Knight. I'm glad that he found his way back to that before he died."

Leia was not sure what to say but Luke found great solace in her words. "Thank you for telling us this. It's been hard living with this secret and as Leia and I grow closer, people wonder about our relationship. We can't keep this a secret any longer."

Wedge patted Han on the back. "In other words Solo, stop worrying."

Everyone laughed as Han's face reddened. "Thanks for clearing that up Antilles. I'll be sure to return the favor someday." Wedge laughed and the mood had lightened considerably.

Luke stood up. "I’m sorry to cut this short but I really have to get to debriefing. They’ll have my hide that I came here first anyway."

Admiral Ackbar patted Luke on the back. "I’ll put in a good work for you, Jedi Skywalker."

Mon Mothma hugged Leia. "You’re going to be fine, Leia. You have a wonderful family looking out for you."

Leia was surprised by her comment. She watched as Admiral Ackbar and Mon Mothma walked with Luke toward the door. Leia then looked around the room. Wedge and Han had also stood and were watching Luke exit the room then Leia smiled as she understood. Yes, they were a family. Her, Luke, Han, Chewie and Wedge and even a few others had all formed strong friendships. They only had each other and that made them a family. Leia have Wedge a quick hug then slipped her arm around Han’s waist.

"Did you hear what Mon Mothma said to me?" She asked the two of them.

Han nodded. "Yes, and it’s true. We are all a family."

Wedge agreed. "We have to take care of each other."

Han couldn’t help but laugh. "No, we do ok. We all have to take care of the kid."

Wedge laughed but Leia playfully slapped Han’s shoulder. "You know, I am the same age as Luke."

Wedge laughed even harder when Han’s face paled. "You love her Han, age doesn’t matter."

Leia nodded. "Listen to Antilles, he’s a very smart man."

Wedge glanced at Han who only had eyes for Leia. "And if you all will excuse me, I think I’ll go do something."

Han clapped the Rogue pilot on the back. "Good idea Wedge, and thanks."

He nodded then went the same way the others had. Han looked at Leia for a moment then pulled her into his arms. They were going to be fine now. His family would be fine.

THE END