SETTING: Approximately 8 years or so after Zahn's Trilogy. I'm not big on timelines but Luke and Mara are just friends in this fic.

SUMMARY: While on the maiden voyage of Talon Karrde's new compact ship, a crash landing brings the past back to haunt Mara Jade and her life, along with Luke Skywalker's is changed forever.

RATING: R because of violence and the nature of the plot. Warning: This fic deals with sensitive issues and contains major angst...so please skip this one if real issues that couples face bother you.

DISCLAIMER: Anything and everything Star Wars belongs to George Lucas, with a special mention to Timothy Zahn for creating the wonderfully complex character of Mara. I am making no money from this. I do not intend any infringement but only wish to entertain myself and hopefully a few others with my rantings.

Chapter 2          Chapter 3          Chapter 4          Chapter 5          Chapter 6          Chapter 7        

THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME

Chapter 1

Luke Skywalker stumbled from the small bench seat of the down-scaled ship and after only a few steps, his hand clamped down on the back of Talon Karrde's chair. Another shudder ran through the ship and he wondered how much more the little ship that resembled a shuttle could take. He looked around Talon to peer out the window, glad that they had finally made it to the planet. Luke glanced back at Leia in the small area behind him; sure she would never let Han talk her into trying out a new ship of Talon Karrde's again. His eyes briefly met Mara's and he gave her a quick nod before turning his attention back to the danger ahead.

Han approached behind Luke and grabbed hold of Aves' co-pilot chair as the Cloud Skimmer bucked and sparks flew everywhere. Han cursed and strained to look at the small window to the right of Aves.

"Are we near the planet to land on?" From his years of piloting, Han Solo knew that this ship wasn't going to hold together much longer. As soon as Talon's new proto-ship had malfunctioned during its introductory run, they had been limping toward this planet, hoping to reach it while the ship was still in one piece.

Talon grunted and grasped the control stick much harder. "We're over a planet and I'm going to try to land us but..."

Luke moved his hand until it rested on Talon's shoulder. "Just do your best, Talon, and I'll help if I can."

Talon took a deep breath, feeling better that the Jedi Master was on board this craft. Maybe, just maybe they would have a chance now. The ship groaned and began shaking violently, an intense ripping sound echoing through the confined space.

Luke and Han saw the clouds rapidly thinning and could feel the sudden descend of the Cloud Skimmer. Luke turned quickly, seeing Han already grabbing Leia, and the Jedi grabbed a surprised Mara Jade by the arm. He pushed her to the floor and frantically covered her body with his as the ship practically nose-dived into the planet's surface.

Luke reached out to the Force, quickly but efficiently weaving a protective barrier around the ship. He tucked Mara's head up against his shoulder by moving his arm under her neck and could feel her Force sense joining with his. The two Jedi worked diligently as the ship flipped over and over on the surface to protect the people inside.

After several nauseating moments, the ship finally shuddered to a stop with its nose down and the back of the ship raised at a barely walkable angle. Luke and Mara slid on the floor until Luke's feet slid against the wall and they halted. Pieces of equipment clanged against other equipment as everything and everyone settled after the rough landing.

Luke groaned as he leaned back on his haunches and gazed at the woman still sprawled beneath him. He leaned back over slightly and pushed her unruly red hair off her face. "You ok, Jade?" He asked, once again frowning over her worn features.

Emerald eyes fluttered open and she slowly nodded. "I'm fine." She raised up on one elbow unsteadily, her other hand resting against the young man's chest. "Are you hurt?"

Luke smiled at her. Their friendship had grown considerably in the last few weeks. Ever since Mara had been attacked on a quick mission for Karrde. Luke's smile slowly faded and he glanced over at Han helping Leia up to hide his look from Mara.

Mara saw the anger and hurt flooding Luke's eyes before he hurriedly looked away and she knew he was thinking and still blaming himself for what had happened to her. Mara moved her hand from Luke's chest to his face, forcing him to look at her. Amongst all the yelling and groaning, she spoke quietly to him.

"It wasn't your fault, Skywalker. I chose to go on that mission knowing that I wasn't a hundred percent. You did your job, I failed mine." She held his gaze, still amazed that after what she had been through that she was still able to touch her best friend and being near him when she couldn't stand being anywhere near other men.

Luke sighed. "I should have stopped him." His gaze seemed to bore through to her soul. He quickly stood and helped Mara to her feet as Talon and Aves approached them.

"Is everyone ok?" Talon reached out towards Mara but as inconspicuously as she could moved around him to look out what was left of the front cockpit window. "We're fine." She mumbled.

Talon clapped Luke on the back. "I know you helped out here, otherwise we would all be dead."

Luke grinned at his friend. "It wasn't just me. Mara is just as responsible as me."

Mara turned back around and flashed him a quick smile. "You led, Skywalker, I just followed."

Han chuckled at them. "Well, thanks to both of you then."

Luke took a step closer to his family. "You two ok?" He wrapped his arm around Leia, who hugged him close. She had seen the intense albeit quick conversation between he and Mara. Though she couldn't hear what they were saying, anyone could tell it was an emotional moment between them. She kept her arm around Luke as they separated. "Yes, we're fine." She smiled up at him then glanced at Mara, her arm tightening possessively around her brother as she did.

Mara looked away from Leia, hiding her smirk by pretending to wipe her face with her flight suit sleeve.

Aves opened a compartment and stood back as several rolled sleeping pallets tumbled free while Talon made his way to the upturned end of his ship and gave the boarding ramp a good kick when it didn't respond to his incessant pushing of the control pad.

Han joined in with the kicking and eventually the hatch started creaking open. Luke de-tangled himself from his sister and grabbed the backpacks hanging above the long bench on the left side of the ship.

Mara frowned, not understanding what he was doing until he opened a pack and started dumping ration bars from another locker in it. She shook her head at the Jedi and started opening the other lockers, pulling out what supplies she could find including a few cups, packets of caf and a small medkit.

"At least you had the ship stocked before taking us for a spin." She directed toward Talon sarcastically. Talon ignored her but beat harder on the boarding ramp.

Everyone jumped as the boarding ramp suddenly let loose and flew open with a loud clank against the ship as it didn't land on ground but ripped off completely. Talon and Han leaned out of the ship to look around. They both gasped, looked at each other then hurriedly moved back into the ship.

"Uh, " Han tried to decide the best way to say this, "we need to get off the ship...now."

Luke glanced at his brother in law then kept digging for supplies. He knew from using the Force to help them land that the badly decimated ship was precariously perched near a sheer drop-off and the soft dirt beneath them was giving, causing the ship to slowly slide closer to the cliff.

Leia walked closer to the hatch then grimaced. "Yes, I think you're right, Han."

Talon grabbed the backpack from Luke's hand. "I'll grab as much as I can. You get them all off here?"

Luke started to argue but knew that he would have to help everyone down. He took Mara by the arm. "You're first."

Mara jerked out of his grasp. "I'm a Jedi too, farmboy. I'll get myself down when I'm done here."

Luke didn't want to argue with her. He knew that Mara hadn't recovered from her ordeal and she was fatigued, even more so now that she had helped him land the ship. "I don't want to argue, Jade." He warned and took her by the arm again.

Mara stepped closer to Luke, the fire back in her eyes and ready to do battle until Luke whispered 'please'. She glared at him a moment then walked over to the hatch, stepping out it and trusting Luke to catch her.

Luke cursed at her and hurried to the opening in the ship as he quickly extended the Force and helped her reach the ground safely. Mara gave him a quick hand gesture and Luke had to grin at her spunk, though reminding himself to lecture her on her impulsiveness later. No, he thought to himself, a lecture on that is the last thing she needs.

Luke gave Leia a quick kiss and carefully lowered her to the ground. Han clamped him on the shoulder. "Just because I'm letting you do this doesn't mean that I believe in this magic of yours."

Luke grinned, knowing he believed but would deny it with his dying breath. "Sure, Han, I'll keep that in mind." He chuckled at Han's wild look as he levitated him off the ground and out of the hatch, landing him beside Leia. Luke turned back around. "Come'on Aves, your turn."

Aves grabbed the rolled sleeping pallets and tossed them out the door. Luke helped until they were all out the hatch then gently lowered the uneasy man to the soft dirt beside them.

The ship gave another loud groan and Luke could hear Leia yelling at him to get off the sliding vessel.

*Luke* Mara took the more direct approach. *Get yourself and Talon off the ship.*

*I am* He replied and took Talon by the arm. "Time to go, Talon." The ship owner nodded and threw three backpacks over the side, trying not to tense as Luke lowered him to the ground below.

Luke glanced around the ship, rummaging through compartments looking for supplies. He grabbed two lanterns and tossed them over the side, trusting someone to catch them or Mara to grab them with the Force while he made a mental note to himself to teach Leia at least a few basic things about the Force. Luke glanced toward the communications console and realized Talon or Aves one had already grabbed the interstellar communicator.

*Skyalker, get out of there now* Luke flinched at Mara's raised tone as she echoed through his mind. Luke felt the ship lurch but instead of settling again, it groaned and Luke felt the ground beneath give way. He stumbled to the hatch, fighting his momentum from the downslide all the way. Luke somersaulted out of the hatch and curled up, his knees to his chin and his arms folded around his legs. Using the Force, he propelled himself away from the ship and unsteady ground, unfolding himself and landing near his friends and family.

Leia had started toward him but stopped when Mara Jade reached him first. Luke yelped and grabbed his leg as the livid woman's foot connected with his shin. "You had no business staying in that ship so long."

Luke groaned at the pain she had bestowed upon him and finally let go of his leg. "I had to get as much as I could. I had time."

Mara glanced at the disappearing ship then at Luke. "The Force may not always be able to protect you." She whispered, reminding him of the time he had said those very words to her.

Luke swallowed hard. "I understand." He replied just as Han and Leia approached.

"Yea." Han added to Mara's lecture and slapped Luke on the back.

Luke's gaze left Mara's darkened eyes and glanced around, ignoring Han's jab. "We need to find shelter."

Aves pointed across the clearing they were in to a small mountain surrounded by a grove of trees. "There might be a cave or at least an outcropping of rock over there." He looked around at the almost desert like conditions. "But that's about all I see."

Mara shook her head. "At least there was an inhabitable planet near us." She shuddered when remembering how the ship had been viscously jerked out of hyperspace when the main engine gave out. Talon had cursed every swear word he could think of, stopping only when he glanced back and remembered the Chief of State was present. They had drifted toward the small planet, what sensors they had left telling them they could survive on it. Then things had gotten worse as the ship had begun to break up.

Mara jumped when she felt a hand on her arm. Her head snapped around, her eyes wild with panic until she saw that it was only Luke. He sighed. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

Mara nodded, wondering if she would ever get over the panicky feeling. Luke squeezed her arm reassuringly, hearing her worry as if it were his own. *You will get over this, Jade. I'll make sure of it.* He promised her through their bond.

Mara nodded and looked toward the mountain range, searching with the Force. "Aves is right. There are a few caves and a large basin or abyss inside."

Luke agreed. "So do we all agree to head that way?" He glanced around at each one as they agreed.

Han handed one bedroll to Leia and one to Mara before picking up the other bedrolls to carry himself. "I'm with you, kid."

Aves slid a backpack on and picked up the communicator he had snatched from the ship. "We all are." He joked and watched Talon snag two other backpacks.

Luke grinned at them all; proud that their small group was working as a team to get through this. He picked up the lanterns and small medkit to carry. "First of all, is anyone hurt?" He was greeted by a chorus of no's then Leia's small voice.

"Mara, are you ok? You look awfully pale." She noticed.

Everyone automatically looked at Mara, who turned and started toward the mountain. "I'm fine, Leia." She replied tartly.

Luke took a deep breath and walked behind Mara, wanting to be near her and trusting Talon to bring up the rear as he usually did so he could keep an eye on his people.

A few hours later, the small group of friends was at the base of the enormous mountain. Han looked up at the sheer rock wall that led up to the next grassy ledge and possibly a place for shelter. "Uh oh. This is bad." He mumbled.

Leia began making her way through the overgrowth, looking for any other suitable places. "The wall seems to jut in on this side." She called back then yelped in surprise. Everyone rushed toward her, Luke in the lead.

"Leia, what's wrong?" He grasped her by the arm and pulled her back from a rather large opening she was halfway through. Luke was surprised when she looked at him with a huge smile on her beautiful face. She pointed to the joint where two large parts of the mountain were joined and she had just been.

"Look at that, Luke." She told him excitedly and pushed him toward the opening.

Luke pushed away a few rocks, his frame being broader than Leia's, until he could comfortable fit in the groove and peer down into the hole. The opening in the stone almost resembled a chute that led to a solid rock bottom several meters down with a small stream running off to one side. After a moment, he looked back at the gathered group and grinned. "Perfect."

"What is it?" Han asked.

Luke moved to let each of them look as he explained. "We can get down the grade to the floor easily and the floor itself is uneven enough to give us each some privacy."

Leia smacked him playfully. "And the stream is wonderful for baths." She added.

Aves moved aside to let the last person look, Mara, but she just shrugged and walked off from the group a bit to sit on a large boulder. Aves and Talon glanced at each other then Aves followed her.

"You ok, boss lady?" He meant to tease her with his nickname for her and was rewarded with a slight smile before her cold demeanor slipped back into place.

"I'm fine, Aves." She clipped and scooted over on the rock when he sat down beside her. Aves frowned at her behavior and was even more worried when Luke stepped around him and held his hand out to Mara.

"Can you help me a minute, Jade?" The Jedi Master asked and Mara quickly agreed, almost clinging to Luke as they walked back toward their just decided new home for the time being.

Aves watched as Leia disappeared down the chute, followed by Luke and Mara with their hands firmly held. Aves noticed Talon approaching and he stood. "Everything ok?" He asked his crewer.

Aves nodded. "Mara is still acting strange and so is the Jedi Master."

Talon sighed. "I know. I asked Luke and he said to just give her time, give them time to work through some things."

Aves crooked his eyebrow at his employer. "Personal things?"

Talon gave the man a look that told him to be careful. "I'm not sure but we should respect Luke's request."

Aves threw his hands up. "I was just checking on her. I'm not pushing."

Talon grinned. "Come'on, lets get the communicator set up to relay our location to the Wild Karrde and then get below." He looked around the darkening sky, trying hard not to think about how their little excursion on his proto ship could have ended. "It looks like a storm is approaching." He mumbled, his instincts telling him that this was not going to be an easy stay for any of them.

Chapter 2

Everyone in the small group gathered around Talon and Aves as they made their way down the incline to the basin bottom. Han noticed the scowls on their faces right away. "What's wrong?"

Talon waited until a clap of thunder subsided before answering with a long sigh. "Communicator is damaged. It's transmitting a weak identification pulse from the Cloud Skimmer but nothing else."

Han sighed. "So we will be found but it will be days...maybe longer."

Talon nodded just as Leia groaned. "I need to get back soon. I have duties..."

"And I have a crew near Coruscant on the Wild Karrde without me, Mara or Aves there." He interrupted her, worried about his crew and other business ventures.

Han pulled Leia back from Talon's face a bit. "We all have places we need to be, princess."

"But, Han," Leia looked up at him with pleading eyes, "the kids..."

"...are with Winter and perfectly fine. Leia, there's nothing we can do. Don't make this worse than it already is."

Leia stared at Han as the storm outside grew. Mara made her way back up the walkway to peer outside and frowned at the scene outside. The sky had turned various shades of yellow and pink with streaks of lightning cutting through the darkening clouds gathering. Mara moved back a bit when the rain shifted direction and began pelting her with large drops. After a few more moments, she made her way back down the walk and walked past the group to hear Leia apologizing to Talon.

"I don't mean to offend you, Talon, I'm just worried about the situation." She reached out and squeezed her friend's forearm. "I'm sorry."

Talon grinned. "I know you're worried, Leia, and I am as anxious as you to get off this planet. I have a ship builder that I really want to pay a visit to." They all laughed and Luke glanced at Mara a few meters away who was rummaging through the backpacks. He walked over to her.

"What are you doing, Jade." He frowned at seeing her packing a few things into one backpack.

Mara looked up at him. "I'm not just sitting here. I'm going to explore the basin and see where it leads and what else might be here."

Luke sighed. "Then pack enough supplies for me as well." He knew better to argue with her. Luke could see how stressed Mara was becoming from being around all these people. She looked more tired now that she ever had.

"Skywalker, I'm a big girl...."

Luke knelt beside her. "Yes, I know you are but there is no way you're going off by yourself in the condition you're in." He argued. "So pack supplies for me, please."

"My condition? I'm just a little tired." She whispered angrily.

"You're exhausted, not eating and holding all this inside still." Luke took a deep breath. "We need to talk about what happened...."

"No." Mara yelled and stood quickly, drawing everyone's attention to them. Mara, not caring or even noticing, grasped Luke by both arms. "Do you hear me? No."

Luke looked into his friends eyes and wished he could pursue the subject but knowing he couldn't in front of everyone. "Ok, Mara. It's ok." He instead soothed her. Mara's anger slowly receded and she bent down and shoved a few more ration bars into the backpack before stalking off down the narrow access to the side.

Luke sighed and watched her go. Talon walked closer to him. "Where is she going?" He asked the blond man still watching her with a sad expression on his face.

"She wants to explore the basin." He mumbled off handedly.

Talon didn't like it one bit. "She shouldn't be off by herself when she's this way."

Luke's head snapped around. "This way?" He inquired with a slight edge to his voice.

Talon's gaze narrowed. "We can all see that something isn't right with Mara. She looks bad and she's incredibly jumpy."

Luke only nodded. "Don't press her, Talon. It's the worse thing you can do right now."

"So you say." Talon snapped then sighed. "I'm sorry, I 'm just worried about her."

"I am too." Luke whispered then noticed Leia and Han had moved toward a corner of the basin and were paying no attention to him. "Talon, tell Leia that I went with Mara....after I've been gone for awhile."

Talon tried his best to smother his laugh. "I understand perfectly." He glanced toward Leia. "Go before she looks this way." He gave Luke a little push, wondering how he could ever doubt that the Jedi would be following Mara. He waited until Luke had grabbed two bedrolls and one of the lanterns then disappeared from sight before even budging from his spot, listening closely to the raging storm outside their sanctuary and hoping the basin was big enough to hold them along with all their strained emotions.

Mara didn't bother to turn around even though she was sure Luke was behind her. She walked, pushing herself to the limit so she thought of nothing else but her task at hand.

Luke followed along behind her, careful to give her space after their latest disagreement. Luke almost smiled, thinking if there was ever a time they didn't disagree. You and I seem to argue an awful lot, Jade, he mused to himself. Luke's smile faded as he couldn't help but recall their last argument...the argument before the mission that Mara was injured on.

"I'm going on this mission, Skywalker." Mara had yelled at him from across the small ship that Talon had given them to retrieve two documents that had been stolen from him.

"You're not well, Mara. Obviously the J'dord virus is making you ill and if you would have entered a healing trance earlier, you would be fine now." Luke had walked closer to Mara, intent on her not getting off the ship.

"I don't need the Force to fix me, Jedi." Mara had walked past Luke, jerking out of his grasp when his hand took her arm. Mara had turned away quickly to cover the dizziness that the virus had left her with.

Luke had watched his friend, knowing that she was stubborn enough to go on this mission even when she was ill from the bug they had picked up from their contact. He had purged it from his system but Mara had insisted on reviewing files on their mission and she was suffering for it now. Luke had finally shrugged and headed off behind the woman... much like he was doing now.

Luke only wished it was the same viral bug that was making Mara this tired and weak now instead of the trauma itself that was causing it.

After several more exhaustive hours and finding it harder to see in on the cave as darkness closed in, Mara finally dropped to her knees and wiped her face with her sleeve.

Luke stopped several meters behind Mara, even with his Jedi training he was still tired from following his friend. "Can we make camp now?" He asked, looking around their small surroundings. Stalagmites hung all over the water carved basin and Luke could feel the dampness around them. He decided to change the subject. "You don't think the water will rise, do you?"

Mara glanced at the small stream beside her then at the surrounding rock. "No, the rocks don't show any signs that the water has risen in the past." She could hear and feel Luke approaching and was surprised when he stepped around her. After a few more steps, he turned back to her.

"The passageway is a bit more open just ahead. I think we should make camp there." He called back to her.

Mara nodded wearily, not caring if it was a question or a statement. She stayed on her knees, watching the Jedi unroll their beds. She felt slightly better seeing that he had put their pallets side by side. Her eyes met his and Luke blushed slightly.

"Is this ok? I mean, I want to be close to you." Luke hurriedly finished. "So if your nightmares return..."

Mara slowly pushed to her feet. "I know." She replied softly then rubbed her stomach.

Luke stepped closer to her. "Feeling sick again?" He asked and titled her head upwards.

Mara sighed. "Yea, just stressed over the crash. I feel bad for Talon."

Luke had to agree. "Yea, after finally convincing Han and Leia to try out the new miniature ship and then crashing."

"And rescue being a few days off...." Mara laughed softly at her employer's obvious string of bad luck. She loosened the beret in her hair and closed her eyes as she ran her hands through her long, red locks. "Poor Talon."

Luke watched her intently then stepped over the rock pile and stuck his hand in the stream. "Mara, it's a bit cool but do you want to take a bath?"

Mara peered down at him, her eyes lighting up. "I would love to."

Luke moved back onto the path and grabbed the lantern to light as the cave was growing ever darker. Mara rummaged through her backpack and withdrew a small, packaged blanket. "This will do to dry with."

Luke nodded and after taking the blanket from her, ripped it into two pieces. "One for you and one for your hair." He explained.

Mara took them when he held them out to her, once again forgetting the man she was dealing with. "Thank you, Luke." She said softly.

He nodded. "Do you have other clothes?"

"No, but these will be fine. For a few days anyway." She started over the rocks toward the stream but stopped when she noticed Luke still watching.

"Oh, sorry." He slipped his tunic off, leaving his tank shirt and pants on and stretched out on his bedroll with his face toward the opposite direction. For the next few minutes, the Jedi Master listened to the quiet sounds of Mara bathing. "Mara, I don't think we should go any further into the basin. We're already several hours from the others."

Luke knew Mara wasn't interested in exploring the cavern, just in getting away from the others.

"Alright." She replied and Luke glanced up as her voice sounded close. Mara dropped down on the bedroll beside Luke's. "Here is fine with me." She turned the lantern down low and set it on a rock near them.

Luke rolled onto his side and propped up on his elbow, watching her dry her hair then braid it back on top of her head. "Mara...we can't go on like this." He whispered, knowing she would reject this line of conversation.

Mara sighed deeply. "I don't know what else to do."

Luke sat up, more than surprised that she hadn't run from him or attempted to shut him up. "You could talk to someone about it."

She twisted her head vehemently. "No, no one can know about this...ever."

Luke wasn't going to give up. "Then talk to me."

Mara stared at him. "I'm tired, Skywalker." With that she stretched out with her back to Luke who only stared at her and didn't say another word. After hearing her breathing slow, Luke snuggled into his own bedroll but still kept his eyes on her. He felt his sister's weak Force sense tingle against his and with a smile, Luke reached out to assure her of his safety. After a brief contact, Luke reached over and pulled the bedrolls outer layer up over Mara more securely then watched her protectively just as he had done for over four weeks now until sleep finally claimed him.

A few hours later, Luke sat up in his bedroll slowly, his eyes never leaving the twisting figure of Mara Jade. The Jedi Master had sensed her increased agitation a few moments ago and now he watched, knowing this nightmare was the worst one yet.

Oh, Mara, why did this have to happen to you, he asked himself. Luke frowned as Mara's tossing became more erratic as the nightmare within her mind grew stronger and more vivid. Knowing that she would have to deal with this agony but not willing to see her suffer more, Luke reached out with the Force and invaded her nightmare.

Luke Skywalker clenched his fists as the images haunting Mara flooded his mind and he saw things just the way Mara had experienced them: hands grabbing her, flightsuit being ripped open, screaming for the man to stop, blood on her hands, Luke's hand encircling the man's neck, the man being pulled of her, on her knees sobbing, standing with her torn clothes hidden beneath a grabbed throw, seeing the man pointing a blaster toward Luke, dropping her blaster as the man fell, Luke picking her up in his arms.....

Luke's mind rebelled against the images as they had every time in the past when he penetrated Mara's nightmare to draw her out of it. And as every other time, Luke wrapped his arms around Mara in the dream and pulled her away from it and back to the present.

Keeping his mental contact with Mara open, Luke hurriedly moved over to Mara's bedroll and pulled the woman close as her nightmare subsided. "Mara, it's me Luke. I have you."

Luke held Mara tight as she fully awakened and jerked against the arms holding her, the memory of being held down to fresh in her mind. "No." She screamed, her voice echoing through the cavern.

Luke held firm to her, talking to the struggling victim until she understood it was he. "Luke." She sobbed.

Blond hair mixed with a few loose strands of golden red as Luke's head rested atop hers. "Yes, Mara. I'm here." He whispered, thankful that Mara had had the foresight to get them away from the others. They had both known the nightmares would come. The only time they didn't being when Mara slept in Luke's arms. No longer caring about anything but Mara's sanity, Luke relaxed against his friend's bedroll and held her against his side.

"I'm sorry." Mara whispered.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Jade, nothing at all." Luke rubbed her face. "Mara, you have to understand that this was not your fault."

Mara held still for a moment, listening to the steady sound of the man's heart beating. Though she didn't understand how she could be this close to him, yet being terrified of any other man being near her. She raised her head to look at him through the darkness as the lantern was turned low to conserve the fuel. "Why do you give me comfort when no one else can?" She asked, her voice thick with emotion.

Luke's insides tightened at the pain pooled in her dull eyes. He lifted his hand and traced the darkening skin under her eyes. "Maybe because I was there right after...after he hurt you."

Mara nodded and closed her eyes to his touch. "Perhaps. I've never had a friend like you before."

Luke could feel her relaxing. "I am your friend, Mara, and I'm so sorry that I didn't sense what was going on and that I didn't get there quick enough."

Mara's eyes reopened as her friend's voice shook with his own torment. "Luke, I chose to go on the mission when I was sick even though you asked me not to. I knew that I was weak. This is not your fault."

"Nor is it yours." He snapped. "I'm sorry. I just..." His voice trailed off.

Mara laid her head back against his chest, thinking about the things he had been telling her over and over again. "I made a bad choice but it wasn't my fault either." She whispered, not seeing the smile on Luke's face at her coming to terms with her guilt.

"No, it was a cruel act and neither of us are to blame." He answered, feeling better as he believed his own words. "But we have to deal with this, Mara. You've kept it all inside you for weeks now."

"Not now." She said and Luke could tell that he had got as far as he could with her tonight. Even though he felt and saw what had happened, he knew getting Mara to tell him would be a large step in ending her nightmares.

"Just rest and I'll make sure there are no more nightmares." Luke was worried about Mara more than he wanted her to know. She looked more run down everyday and she was getting thinner and thinner. His hand encircled her wrist as it lay against his chest and he frowned at how easily his fingers met around it. She was entirely too thin and Luke resolved to get her eating better.

He swayed Mara back and forth as much as he could on the pallet over the hard, rock floor and hummed to her softly, just as he had many other nights. Friends before the attack, they were much more now. Luke had spent every night with Mara since then either holding her while she slept or comforting her after she hadn't allowed him to hold her during the night and a nightmare had ensued. Luke kissed the top of her head as an exhausted Mara slowly began drifting off to sleep again.

"I will find a way to end your torment, Mara." He whispered, his emotions strained under the burden of helping her. "We will get you healed."

Luke stiffened as he felt Leia's presence stir in the distance. Being Force sensitive, she had felt Mara's nightmare vaguely. Luke surrounded his sister with peace and helped her drift back to full sleep, knowing she might remember a feeling but nothing more.

Luke finally eased himself into a meditative calming trance, drawing Mara with him as their minds were still finely attuned to each other. Surrounding the woman with a sense of peace and tranquility in their trance, Luke's arms tightened around her physically and he let them both drift into the pleasant abyss he had weaved around them.

Chapter 3

Mara awoke basked in the most peaceful and warm feeling that she had ever experienced. She stretched lazily onto her back as the feeling flooded through her like bright sunlight. She could feel the arms tighten around her when she stretched and Mara smiled as her content feeling increased. The trader turned her head sideways and looked at the man beside her, still immersed in the Force. Her hand traveled to the side of his face and she gently caressed the side of his face.

"I shouldn't feel so safe with you...and need you so much." She whispered, full aware that she needed Luke to just get a night's sleep. "You can't mean this much to me."

Luke's eyes didn't open nor did his mouth move but he answered her. *Just as much as you mean to me.* He sent through their bond.

Mara's hand on his face stilled. Not only was she struggling to deal with her rape but now these intense feelings for Luke had come crashing to the surface. They had always been friends but now, Mara couldn't deny her feelings. She inhaled slowly as the Jedi Master's eyes slowly opened. "I love you, Mara." He whispered.

Mara stared at him for the longest moment. Luke waited for her reaction, seeing a hint of fear creeping into her eyes. "Luke, I...."

Luke put his finger to her lips. "We have some issues to deal with. We need to get you healthy but I couldn't hide this any longer. Just know that I care about you and that I will be beside you every step through this."

Mara slowly nodded. "I...I'm not ready but knowing that you're here...."

Luke took the hand that was on his cheek and kissed the palm. "I'll always be here, Mara." Luke knew that she was dealing with a lot now and it was most important that she worked through her trauma first. Luke slid away from her and struggled to his feet, stretching as he did. "We need to get back with the others today."

Mara sat up in the bedroll. "I don't want to. It's just so much easier dealing with this when it's just the two of us." She had agreed to a quick excursion on Talon's new ship, never expecting to be with the others for more than a few hours. She stood and began rolling up their beds then sat back down hard as her head began to spin.

Luke was beside her instantly. "Mara." He rubbed the side of her face. "You have got to start eating again."

Mara knew she was weak and her health was deteriorating. "Alright. I will try."

"And when we get back to Karrde's base, you will take a few weeks off to recover?" He pushed, hoping she would listen.

"I'll think about it." Mara tried not to smile at the persistent Jedi who mothered her at times.

Luke watched her intently for a few moments. "Are you going to be ok rejoining the others?" They had done scouting for Talon the last few weeks, not having to deal with their sleeping arrangements as they were on the Jade's Fire by themselves but now, being here with others, they had to be careful what they did.

Mara began unbraiding her hair as it had become frazzled from her tossing and turning before Luke had embraced her. "I can't hide forever."

"They know something is wrong, Jade. Physically, you look very different." Luke flinched when her eyes narrowed at him.

"It happens when you don't sleep much, Jedi." She took a deep breath and ran her fingers through her hair. "Sorry. I know I look about as bad as I feel but I will take some time off and rest up after this. It's just...."

Luke tilted her head up. "It's just what?"

Mara sighed. "I can't seem to rest without you." She finally admitted.

The Jedi nodded. "Because I join with you and keep the nightmares away."

Mara tried not to smile. "It's more than that and you know it. I'm safe with you and I don't feel that with anyone else."

"Mara, I meant what I said. I care a great deal for you and I will help you through this." He waited until she nodded before continuing. "But we can't hide here. We have to join the others and wait for the rescue ship."

"I know. I just feel....like they know and are staring at me or something." Mara started to stand but Luke gently pushed her back down.

"But they're not. They are all just worried about you. I understand that you don't want them to know but...."

"No, you promised me that you wouldn't tell anyone." She glared at him and for a brief moment, Luke was reminded of the old Mara, his enemy.

Luke sighed and stood back up. "And I won't tell them. I was just gonna say that they know something is wrong and you taking time off won't be a problem." Luke saw her nod slightly. "Just sit and I'll fix breakfast and pack."

Mara giggled. "Fix breakfast? I can open a ration bar myself."

Luke grabbed the backpack and as he noticed the lantern still burning, he flicked his hand to turn it off. "I grabbed two of the food packs too."

Mara grinned. "Much better than ration bars."

Luke tossed her a small box. "Actually, they are and you need to eat a bunch of them." He sat back down beside her and opened his own small box, not sure what it was but knowing it was supposed to taste good. He took a small bite and watched as Mara did the same. "Hey, these are good." He said.

Mara shrugged. "Talon treats his employees splendidly....even the ones he crashes on barren planets." She looked at Luke as his laughter filled the cavern. She watched him laugh for a second then joined him, their laughter growing and holding their bad memories at bay for a while.

Luke looked at his chrono and knew that he and Mara were almost back to where the others were. The trek back had seemed to take much longer and after a few hours, the two of them had stopped talking and concentrated on the trail. Luke tightened his mental contact with the woman behind him and was alarmed at her increased weariness. He stopped walking and turned around to her.

"We can stop for awhile." He frowned at the dull eyes that looked back at him.

"No." Mara threw her ponytail over her back. "We're almost there, right?"

"Yes, just a few more meters. But we're tired and it's time for a break." Luke started to drop the bedrolls he carried but Mara stopped him.

"No, let's keep going. We've taken so many breaks that it's almost time for sleep again and maybe the rescue ship is here." She argued.

Luke could feel the gnawing in the pit of his stomach. Something was wrong here, something more than he had first suspected. "Mara..."

She stepped beside him to pass him by. "Not now, Luke, I can't do this now..." Her voice trailed off as she passed him and kept walking.

Luke watched her distance herself and the gnawing his stomach increased. Luke took a long breath, hoping to all the makers that his suspicion wasn't correct where Mara was concerned.

A short time later, Leia was crowded around Luke and chastising him for running off. Mara walked over to the edge of the stream, away from everyone and sat with her head in her hands.

Han yelled out that it was time to eat and started passing out the food boxes, one to each as they had all had earlier. "Rescue better come soon." He mumbled to Luke.

"Why?" He didn't like the sound of that.

Han started to answer but Leia beat him to it. "We have very few food boxes left."

Luke took his from Han and Mara's as well. "But there are plenty of ration bars?"

Leia nodded. "We can survive on those and yes, there are much more of them."

Luke walked toward Mara who still sat near the stream, aware that everyone was watching them but not really caring at the moment. His only concern was the exhausted woman beside him who he knew needed to be off this planet and in a medcenter.

He sat down beside Mara at the stream and neither talked as they ate and went their separate ways to prepare for bedtime. Luke finished his dip in the stream and after toweling off with with the same ripped blanket Mara had used earlier, he stood a few meters away and watched as everyone settled their zippered bedrolls, getting ready for bed. The two lanterns lighted the basin and though it wasn't dark, it gave the area an eerie glow. He bid Leia and Han goodnight and watched them settle into their one bedroll as Aves and Talon trudged over the slight embankment from the stream and approached their own bedrolls. Luke noticed that they had used an extra bedroll off to the side and he assumed they had made a place for Mara off from them but close enough for security.

Luke's gaze fell on the two rolled sleeping pallets he and Mara had used the previous night and made a decision that he was sure would cause more than a few problems. He stretched the two pallets out, one on top of the other and climbed under the zipped top of them to rest on his side facing the unzipped part of the bedroll.

Leia raised her head from Han's shoulder and glanced over at her brother, settled in to sleep. His eyes were still opened but not looking in her direction. Leia strained a bit more and she could see that he was watching Mara Jade make her way up from stream and toward the sleeping area. Leia glanced back at Luke and saw him raise up a bit. She watched the look between the two Jedi then was surprised when Mara called out goodnight to Talon and Aves, passed up her prepared pallet and walked over to Luke and shrugged out of her flight boots.

Han looked up at his wife when he felt her inhale sharply. "What?" He whispered. When she didn't answer, Han raised up enough to look in the direction Leia was just in time to see Luke hold the edge of the bedroll cover up and Mara slid under it with him. They both watched as Mara tucked her head in against Luke's chest and his arms went around her protectively, pulling her even closer. Han relaxed back against his pallet and tugged on Leia's sleeve.

"Leave them alone, princess." He whispered. Though the three groups of sleepers were placed several meters apart, he still didn't want Luke and Mara hearing him discuss them and their sleeping arrangements.

Leia glared at her husband, her mouth still half-open in shock. Finally she spoke a bit too loud for him. "Han, they are sleeping together..."

"Shhh.... We both know something is up with Mara, Leia, so let them deal with this any way they have to."

Leia glanced back at the couple, watching Luke's hand caressed the side of Mara's head. She had to admit that this didn't look like a sexual conquest but more of a protective gesture. She slowly nodded. "I don't like it but I won't say anything." She whispered.

"Good." Han pulled her down close and Leia resisted a bit as she felt the Force swelling around Luke and Mara. Han finally wrapped his arms around her and pulled her next to him, hoping she wouldn't change her mind during the night about leaving them alone.

Talon Karrde had watched where Mara had gone after passing by the bedroll he and Aves had prepared for her. He grinned when he saw Luke also watching and waiting for her. Now that he was sure Mara was ok and with an even bigger grin on his face, Talon laid his head back down, willing to give up about anything he owned to know what Leia Organa-Solo was thinking and saying right now.

Leia was up the next morning before anyone else. She made her way back up from her quick freshening up at the stream and couldn't resist the urge to sneak a peek at her brother and Mara.

They hadn't moved much from last night with Luke still on his side and Mara's face buried in his neck but it was the first time that Leia had seen them up close in such an intimate position. She stared at them for a moment until she felt someone behind her.

Talon Karrde looked at Leia then at the still sleeping couple. "They seem at such peace." He mumbled.

Leia nodded. "They're both deeply immersed in the Force. I can feel it around them." Leia took a shuddering breath. "Maybe they just needed comfort." She whispered, echoing Han's words from last night.

Talon raised an eyebrow at her comment but didn't say a word. As long as Leia didn't make trouble for Mara, he had no quarrel with her. The trader glanced at the couple again, pleased at their closeness then made his way back the way he had come and then up to the surface of the planet.

Leia still stared at the two, her mind racing with the possibilities of how this had come to be and how she had missed it when Mara moaned and stretched out. Luke's arm lessened around her but still held the trader close. Mara twisted a bit more stretching and the bedrolls top layer slipped lower, revealing the woman's hand resting on Luke's hip. Leia's gaze narrowed at Mara's apparent comfort with her brother.

Leia's gaze flickered back to her brother's face and she stiffened to see pale blue eyes staring back at her. For a long, awkward moment, the two only stared at one another with Luke's eyes darkening with anger as they did. Leia quickly turned on her heel and stormed back to where Han was making his way out of the bedroll and stretching out.

Luke watched Leia go, knowing the look in her eyes and that she intended on getting to the bottom of this. His attention drifted downward, toward the woman beside him who moved her head backward to look at him through fluttering eyelids. "Morning again." She mumbled.

Luke felt his concern over Leia drift away as the beauty smiled up at him. "Good morning, Mara." Luke resisted the urge to kiss her gently, knowing it could overwhelm her combined with her trauma and his recently professed feelings for her.

Luke could see Talon coming back down into their temporary home as well as Han and Leia taking a place on two of the large rocks they had all moved together yesterday. The rocks were placed in a circle and resembled a gathering, eating area. Luke looked back down at Mara, pleased that she was still half-asleep. "Go back to sleep, Jade." He eased his arms from around her and trying not to jar her awake more, he slid out of the bedroll to slip his boots back on.

Han waved to Luke as he approached the assembled group, motioning the Jedi over to one of the 'seats'. Luke settled beside his brother in law just as Talon handed out cold cups of caf, still thankful they had salvaged the cups and drink from the ship.

Aves dumped out the supply backpack and started rationing out the food boxes and bars and frowned as he handed Luke a ration bar. "Mara not up yet?"

Luke sighed when they all looked at him for an answer. "No, she's not feeling so great today."

"Maybe she's pregnant." Leia spat out, unable to stop her mouth from saying what her brain had already been thinking.

Han's cup slipped from his grasp and he could only stare at his wife. Aves choked on his ration bar while Talon's gaze narrowed at the petite woman. Luke's eyes slowly rose from this breakfast bar until they met his sister's. For a tense moment, they stared each other down, both their anger equal.

When Luke spoke, his voice was cold and dripping with venom. "I'm assuming that comment stems from the fact that Mara and I slept together last night." He was not in the mood to explain their actions to anyone.

Leia calmly sipped from her cup. "I would say that it's a fair assumption considering Mara's deteriorated condition and your...sleeping arrangements."

Luke sat up straighter on his rock. "Perhaps you should keep your unfounded, piteous observations to yourself." He almost growled.

Han looked back and forth from Leia to Luke. This was the first time he had seen this intense anger between the two twins. He shook his head when Leia continued to push. "So you deny that Mara is pregnant?"

Luke forced the words out as calm as he could. "I don't think Mara's condition or lack thereof is any of your business."

Another voice cut through the tension. "And neither do I." Mara resembled her old self with her hands on her hips and giving Leia a look that made them all take notice. There was no mistaking the intense anger that burned in Mara's emerald eyes.

Luke grabbed another ration bar and walked away from the group, turning and waiting for Mara who wasn't quite finished with Leia yet. "Stay out of my business, Madame Chief of State." She demanded in her best sarcastic voice.

Leia stood, not intending on backing down. "If it concerns my brother then it is my business."

Mara smiled devilishly. "Strange on how concerned you are about your brother's sexual encounters. Jealous?" Leia gasped and Mara turned on her heel and walked toward Luke.

Talon hurriedly sipped from his cup to cover his smirk. Mara Jade was a force to be reckoned with even when ill and Leia had just found that out from the comment that they had all thought but not dared say to Leia.

Luke held out a ration bar to the approaching Mara and she took and ripped into it with anger. Luke's hand rested on the small of her back and he directed her over the slight grade and down to the flat rock beside the stream, away from the group and especially away from his sister.

Chapter 4

Luke stood standing beside the trickling stream while Mara sat on the edge of an enormous rock. For several moments, neither said a word, not willing to talk about the painful truth that both had considered and that Leia had made impossible to ignore any longer.

Luke finally turned away from the stream, making sure they were far enough away and over the rise so no one else could see them. "I'm sorry about her, Jade."

Mara nibbled on the ration bar and didn't move her gaze from the water. "We should have slept apart last night."

Luke shook his head. "Why? So my sister wouldn't be nosy?" Luke was still angry. "The most important thing to me is that you rest and if in my arms is where you can do that, then that's where you will sleep."

Mara's gaze shifted to the angry man as he continued to rant. "We are adults and don't need anyone telling us what to do."

"But look at the mess we've made now." She whispered.

Luke moved closer. "No, not us. We have done nothing wrong." He sat down beside her and carefully took her hand. "Don't worry about this."

Mara exhaled slowly through her mouth. "What am I going to do, Skywalker?" She whispered.

Luke barely heard the soft-spoken question. Though he already knew in his soul what the answer was, he had to ask. "Mara, is Leia right? Are you pregnant?"

Mara was silent, oddly thinking about the man who held her hand. He could have easily found out during their mental joinings but she knew he would never have done that, he would never had violated her trust in that way.

Mara twisted sideways to look at her friend, her voice heavy as was her heart. "Yes, I'm pregnant." She again whispered.

Luke squeezed her hand in support, his own heart feeling the weight of her revelation. "I'm sorry, Mara. I'm so sorry that this happened to you."

Mara tried to laugh. "And here I thought my memories would be the only thing I would have left to deal with."

Luke didn't want to push but it was important that they discuss this. "You have options, Mara." He waited for her reaction, having no idea how she would take this discussion.

Mara sighed. "I know...I just...under normal circumstances, it would be hard but I could handle it. But with this being the result of...." Mara took her hand from Luke's and ran both her hands through her hair. "I just don't know."

Luke, not knowing what to say just blurted out what he could think of. "So you're considering not having this child?"

Mara eyed him curiously. "You don't approve of that option?"

Luke knew he was on the spot. "That's not for me to say." He answered quickly.

"Don't give me that. You're my friend, and the only person who knows the truth...for argument's sake, if you had a say in this, how would you feel about termination?" Mara didn't know why but Luke's opinion and thoughts on this were so extremely important to her.

Luke sighed, trying to figure out how to word his response. "It's your body and like I said before, I will stand by you no matter what decision you make but...I would beg you not to do it." He had to be honest.

Mara smiled faintly at him. "Not a surprising answer."

Luke didn't want his answer to burden her. "But this is a difficult situation, Mara. You would have a constant reminder of what happened. Can you handle that?" He was most worried about the mental aspects of having this child would have on her.

Mara shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't let myself think about this. I mean, I can't even get through nights without you. I don't know if I could love a reminder..." Mara almost sobbed, unable to say the words.

Luke pulled Mara into his arms, whispering to her. "You would love this child, Mara."

She pulled back to look at him. "But I'm so angry and moody and my child deserves a good mother...." She stopped when Luke smiled.

"You don't want a termination, do you?" He asked.

Mara closed her eyes briefly, feeling the truth as much as he was. "No, but I don't think I can do this alone. I don't know how."

"You won't be alone, Mara." Luke watched her eyes open before continuing. "I'll help you."

Mara smiled at the most wonderful man she had ever met. "Friends can only do so much, Luke and the press would go insane on guessing who the father is." Her smile faded at how a lot of people would expect answers.

"So just tell them who the father is." Luke answered.

Mara looked at him in horror. "What?"

Luke held her by the upper arms. "You're right, the press will not rest until you name the father...so tell them it's me."

Mara now stared at him in shock. "What?"

Luke nodded. "You heard me. You want this child but are worried about everyone hounding you about the father. So tell everyone that I'm the father."

"Luke, that is very noble of you...." She started to only be interrupted.

"No, not noble." Luke was adamant about that. "I would give anything if I could erase that horrible day, Mara, but I can't. But I can love the child just as you will that resulted from that day. You know that I love you...of course I will love your child."

A tear slid down Mara's face. "You would do this, wouldn't you?" This man's selfless nature still surprised her at times.

"With no hesitation or regrets." Pale blue eyes bored through hers.

Mara shook her head. "It's too much..."

"No, I'm very serious about this. All our friends think I'm the father anyway so just let them and everyone else. Let the press come after me and leave you alone."

Mara stood up and Luke followed suit. "Skywalker, I know that you mean this but...."

Luke wasn't planning on backing down. "If anyone asks, this is my child, Mara. Understand?"

Mara wasn't used to hearing Luke be this forceful. She wasn't sure what to do. "Luke...."

"This is what I want, Mara. Please let me do this."

Mara realized that he really did want this. Luke wanted to be a father to her child. "You already care about this child?"

Luke rubbed her face with the back of his hand. "It's a part of you, how could I not love it?"

"But its father is a rapist." Mara shuddered.

A brief flash of anger covered Luke's face then he smiled. "No, the baby's father is a Jedi Master."

Mara was stunned at first then laughed softly. "Yes, its father is a great man."

Luke pulled her close and hugged her tightly. "We can do this, Jade. You and I can do anything."

Mara turned in his arms to stare out over the water, Luke's chin resting on her shoulder. "It won't be easy."

"No, but we will get through it." Luke laced his fingers across Mara's stomach. "Have you peeked yet?" He teased.

"No....I was afraid." She laid her hands over his and reached out through the Force to him, then let the Master lead.

Their senses mingled and traveled throughout Mara's cells, reaching toward the small embryo. Knowing they would only be able to sense the beginning of the process and nothing more, both marveled over the small mass until Mara could feel Luke tense.

*What is it, Luke?* She communicated through their bond and felt him try to brush aside her question. * You feel it too, don't you? Something isn't right.*

*I don't know. I've never felt this before.* Luke carefully eased them away from the small cell and then withdrew from Mara who stepped out of his arms to turn and look at him.

"It feels...wrong, Luke." She confessed.

Luke swallowed hard, knowing what she meant. "We need to get you off this planet and to a doctor."

She nodded. "I agree."

Mara agreeing spooked Luke even more. "Until then, you rest and eat. No more exploring or arguing." Luke hugged her again. "You're gonna be fine, Jade, just fine."

Someone cleared their throat behind them and they jerked apart self-consciously. Han stepped closer to them. "I'm sorry about Leia." He said softly.

Luke sighed. "You don't have to apologize for her, Han."

Mara stepped away from Luke a bit more and Han's worried gaze fell on her. "Mara, whatever's going on with you is your business but...you don't look good."

Mara glanced at Luke who nodded in agreement with Han. "We would like to get off this planet as soon as possible."

Mara sighed. "I think that would be best."

It surprised Han to hear her agree. The infallible Mara Jade was showing a side not normally seen. "Talon wanted to speak to you. Someone contacted him via his comlink so apparently a ship is almost here."

Mara nodded, slipping back into her second in command role. "Thanks, I'll see what the situation is." Without another word, Mara headed back up the rise toward the small campsite, leaving the two men alone.

Luke was frowning as he watched her go. Han noticed. "You're worried about her, aren't you?" He wasn't sure what was between Luke and Mara but he knew they were close and it was perfectly normal for them to worry about each other.

Luke nodded. "She's not feeling well at all. Something just isn't right...." He glanced at Han to get his reaction. "....with the baby."

Han sighed, happy for Luke but just as worried. "These are terrible conditions for her to be in. Congratulations by the way." He grinned.

Luke was still amazed at how easily everyone assumed this baby was his, of course he and Mara sharing a bedroll last night helped that assumption along. "Thank you. At least a ship is apparently nearby. I just want Mara out of here and at a medcenter."

Han knew exactly what he meant. "Let's just try to keep peace between her and Leia until then."

Luke chuckled. "That's a tall order." He knew what Han was thinking without even using the Force. "I'll tell her later about the baby. Mara doesn't need any more stress right now." He and Han started walking back to the others, the same way Mara had went.

"I agree." Han answered and not another word was spoke until they joined Mara, Talon and Aves at the rock seats. Han saw Leia approaching them. "Is there a ship?" She asked.

Talon grinned. "Yep, the Wild Karrde will land near us in a few standard hours."

Leia sat back down beside Han. "That's wonderful." She squeezed Han's arm, knowing he was still unhappy with her.

Aves used up all the small, prepared food boxes by giving them all one. "We were rationing these out so lets splurge since we're being rescued."

Everyone laughed then opened their luxury food and hungrily dug in. Luke took a small bite of his and sat it beside Mara. *Eat this too.* He told her through the Force.

Mara looked at him. *Why? This is your food, Luke.*

Luke knew everyone was watching their silent communication. "I don't like it so don't waste it." He answered aloud for their benefit.

"You'll be hungry..." Mara argued, knowing that Luke was giving up with food so that she and the baby would have more.

"No, I can eat ration bars. I just don't want that so eat it." Luke stared at her and Mara was too tired to argue anymore. She nodded just as Leia spoke up.

"Besides, Mara, you could use the extra food." She commented and everyone knew she shouldn't have.

Mara didn't miss a beat. "You mean now that I'm pregnant?"

Leia inhaled sharply and they all looked at Mara. Luke knew she was at the end of her patience. *Careful, Mara.*

*She deserves it.* She sent back to him.

"It's not her I'm worried about." Luke replied aloud gruffer than he intended. Mara looked at him, surprised he had spoken out loud but he wasn't done yet. Luke's gaze shifted to his sister, wanting to end the bickering. "Leia, I'm sure you can understand that I don't want Mara upset. These conditions are bad enough without adding anymore stress on her."

Talon smiled at how protective Luke was of his second in command. "Mara, you're getting a few weeks off to rest after this and don't argue about that. Oh, and congratulations to you both."

Luke wanted no doubt left in their minds. "Thank you." He acknowledged.

*Luke, now he thinks you're the father. They all do.* Mara stared at him.

*Good. Let them.* He answered easily.

Leia wasn't done with them by a long shot. "So this is your baby then?" She sighed.

Luke frowned. "No lectures, Leia. Mara and I are both adults and we know what we're doing."

"Apparently not. You're not married to each other and Luke....you're a Jedi Master who should be setting an example..."

Luke was thoroughly fed up. He held his finger up. "I'm going to say this one time, Leia. This child is my and Mara's responsibility. This situation is about us and no one else, including you and your ideas for me. If you can't accept this...then stay away from Mara. I will not let your or anyone else's anger hurt Mara or our child. Make no mistake, I will do whatever I have to in order to protect Mara and my child."

Mara, along with everyone else, was surprised at how passionately he said those words. Luke had meant each one, he would protect them. Mara reached over and laid her hand on his arm. Luke looked at her. "I'm sorry but this needed to be said."

Mara nodded in agreement. "I'm not upset." She looked toward Leia. "I know Leia now understands that the only important thing here is for us to keep this baby safe."

Leia couldn't see Mara Jade as the mother of her niece or nephew but she had no choice. "I mean no ill will toward you, Mara or to your child."

Mara nodded. "Good, then let's just stop antagonizing each other and work on getting off this planet. And I would appreciate no one mentioning this to anyone else until we work out a few details." Mara didn't want all of Coruscant and Talon's employees to know yet.

Leia nodded. "Of course we won't mention this." She sighed. "And I do wish you luck and good fortune, Mara."

Talon also agreed. "Aves and I will keep our traps shut as well. This is your child and you tell people when your ready." Aves nodded his agreement.

Mara smiled faintly. "Thank you." She picked her food back up and resumed eating just as Talon's comlink beeped again. They all listened to the conversation as Shada relayed to Talon that they would be landing much sooner than expected. Luke and Mara's eyes never left each others, knowing they would soon start a much different lifestyle than what they were accustomed to but both strangely looking forward to it now.

Chapter 5

After packing up all the supplies and treading to the planet's surface, the stranded party only waited a short time before seeing another of Karrde's newest purchases descend from the space above to begin skimming the surface for a safe place to land amongst the rough terrain.

Han looked at Talon, feeling the urge to needle him about his other new ship. "Is it safe to get on this shuttle?" He asked before bursting into laughter. Talon glared at him and at the barely controlled Aves.

"The two of you can flap your arms and fly back to the Wild Karrde if you like." He told them, causing everyone to start laughing, easing the earlier tension in the group.

Luke looked over at Mara and pulled her closer to his side, with her head resting against his shoulder. The shuttle was still settling down in the desert like area, the small trees and rock croppings making it difficult to land near the small mountain. It finally sat down on the dirt floor and they could hear the engines shut down. As the ramp from the shuttle descended, the group began walking the several meters to the ship with Shada emerging from the shuttle and advancing to meet them.

Mara slipped from Luke's grasp, and moved between Talon and Aves as her status dictated that she be beside Talon. Her employer glanced at her before Shada was in earshot. "I meant what I said. You need to take a few weeks vacation." Talon braced himself for the fight but it never came.

Mara wanted to argue but the truth was, she didn't want to face any of the crew. Not only because she was tired and pregnant but because of the rape itself. She was nervous around people and getting worse at hiding it. "I think it would be best." She agreed. "In fact, as soon as we're aboard the Wild Karrde, I would like to go directly to my ship and leave."

Talon's step faltered to a stop, and Mara reluctantly did the same. The others kept going and Talon waited until they were out of earshot before slowly nodding. "I know there's more going on here than just a pregnancy. Skywalker should be shouting to the world that he's going to be a father and he's not. But he is extremely worried about you, just as I am. So please take whatever time you need to work through whatever is wrong and know that I am here if you need me."

Mara looked away, embarrassed by his support and saw Luke glancing back at her and for the first time, Mara realized how fortunate she was. "Thank you, Talon." She looked back at him. "I think that I'm going to be fine but I am glad to know that you are here."

Talon held his arm out and with a show of trust that he couldn't begin to understand, Mara hooked her arm through his. The two friends continued their trek toward the shuttle that would take them back to the Wild Karrde and for Mara, that would take her closer to a much needed rest and medcenter visit.

Once aboard the Wild Karrde, Mara got caught up in debriefing and it was actually late evening before she could head to her ship. After bidding goodbye to Han and Leia who Talon would deliver back to Coruscant, Luke followed her. Almost immediately after boarding the Jade's Fire, he felt the engines fire and barely strapped into the co-pilot's chair before Mara was lifting off. Luke didn't comment on it as he knew her desire to get away from everyone.

"Where are we going, Jade?" Mara glanced at him quickly as she maneuvered her ship out of the hangar. She almost smiled as she thought how easily that she had gotten accustomed to him being with her constantly. Luke had been a wonderful friend to her.

"A small planet called Jebben." She answered, setting the coordinates for the several hour trek that would take them the rest of the evening and night.

"Jebben?" Luke typed in the planet on the small screen before him and read the display. "Largely uninhabited with several cities sparsely located." He frowned at her choice. "Why are we going there?"

Mara pulled the hyperspace lever and for a few seconds, both were assaulted with the slight nauseating feel of entering such an accelerated speed. Finally Mara unsnapped her seat restraint. "It's a large planet with few people that have been mostly isolated from the rest of the galaxy." She twisted around in her chair to face Luke.

The Jedi nodded, understanding her need for privacy and knowing perhaps a doctor on this planet could offer her the best chance at that. He turned back to the screen and typed in a medcenter inquiry of the planet. "At least one medcenter in each of the cities and since they are NR held, they should have modern facilities."

"Yes, I think so too." Mara was glad he wasn't going to argue about this.

"It is a day away," Luke looked back at her, "but I understand this choice."

"We'll be there early tomorrow so it's not too long of a trip. And a long shower and sleep on an almost comfortable bed will make the time go quickly." She smirked.

Luke stood then took her by the hands and pulled her to her feet. "I agree. I think you need a long, hot shower."

Mara sniffed exaggeratedly. "I think you could too."

Luke grinned and started to ask if that was an invitation but remembered her ordeal. Instead, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Mara sighed, knowing that his teasing mood had shifted because of her. "It's ok, you know." She said.

"What is?" Luke heralded her through the tiny doorway and to the small hallway of her ship, stopping in front of her room entrance.

Mara stepped away from his arm to face him. "Don't hold back anymore. I've relived that awful day so many times that....I need to feel again." She struggled to explain what she meant when she didn't really even know.

Luke wondered if she meant that she had made her way through the worst part...the numbness that he had seen her fall into. Luke smiled at her and feeling that it was the right thing to do, he cupped her chin and with barely touching her, grazed his lips over hers. He drew back and his heart swelled when he saw Mara smile. "I'm gonna be fine, Luke." She whispered and stepped closer to the Jedi who promptly hugged her close.

Mara savored the feel of his arms. Before, she would tense before finally relaxing but now there was no hesitation. This man held her complete trust and faith. And though she knew it was still a long road ahead, Mara felt that she was at least making progress now. "Luke....we need to talk about the future."

"Yes, but let's get cleaned up and we'll discuss it." Luke kissed her again gently. "Take a shower and I'll see you in a bit."

"Where are you going?" She asked and stepped out of his arms.

"I'll use the shower in my room." He nodded toward the room beside Mara's that he had stored his stuff in since he had returned from that mission with Mara to the Wild Karrde and hadn't left her side since. Luke turned her around and gave her a gentle push into her room. "So go and I'll see you in a bit."

Mara gave him a quick smile and waited until the door swished shut behind her before peeling off her three-day-old attire and entering the refresher and then the shower. She stood under the water for a long while, feeling as if she were washing away all the bad memories and aches as well as the grime. Mara rubbed her stomach, wondering about the tightening, achy feel that had started as they had packed up their camp before being rescued. She dismissed it as her body adjusting and quickly finished up her shower, missing the small mix of red that washed down the drain.

Wrapping her hair in a towel and quickly drying with another, Mara then slipped into underclothes and a nightgown that fell below her knees. She threw both her towels into the small hamper in the refresher, reaching out to Luke as she did.

*I'm presentable, Jedi.*

She could feel Luke's laughter through their bond as he replied. *I'm on my way.*

Mara withdrew through the Force from him, amazed at how easily she had gotten used to inviting him to her bed every night. She grabbed her dirty clothes from the floor and winced as she did so. Her hand again rubbed her stomach as the door slid open and Luke entered. He immediately crossed over to her, his arms encircling her and his hand resting on hers. "Are you ok?" He asked.

Mara leaned back against him, inhaling his clean smell as her face rested against the hollow of his neck. "I'm just sore from crashing ships and bedrolls." She assured him.

Luke laughed softly. "Then let's get you into bed."

Mara stepped out of his embrace and turned toward him, chuckling. "I never thought I would hear you say that to me."

Luke's face reddened a bit. "You know what I meant."

He watched Mara gracefully slid into her bed and wiggle under the thick blanket. Feeling no trepidation at doing so, Luke slid in right beside her, stretching his arm out so that with Mara on her side, her head rested on his arm as a pillow. Luke crunched a pillow under his head and settled his face inches from hers. "You look better." He remarked as he pushed her damp hair off her face.

"I don't feel as tired...mentally." She agreed.

Luke traced the small darkening skin beneath her eyes. "But you still feel tired physically and you need rest to help that."

Mara's eyes fluttered shut at his touch. "Yes, I am tired but I want to talk with you."

Luke's hand slipped from her face to her hair. He ran his fingers through the damp mass of red locks, knowing since the nightmares had started that this was a way to relax Mara and coax her into sleep. "What do you want to talk about, Mara?" He asked.

Mara sighed, a deep, cleansing sigh of relaxation. "What are we going to do now that people think we're having a baby?"

Luke frowned a bit, wishing he could reach out and read her mind and know what she wanted him to say. But he knew he couldn't so all he could do was be honest. "I think we should get married." He whispered.

Mara's eyes popped open. "What?" She asked as calmly as she could.

"Think about it." Luke had thought about this in great detail in the shower, knowing that this conversation was approaching. "We spend every minute together, including our nights. And when this child arrives, it will be the same thing. It just makes sense for us to be married." Luke realized he was trying to convince a woman that had not professed her love to him to become his wife. "You know that I love you and I know that you care for me..."

Mara put her finger against his lips, never more sure of anything than what she was about to say. "Luke, you are my most trusted friend, my best friend. I have cared for you in that respect for many years but since this happened...you have deserted your entire life to stand by my side, to hold my hand through the pain, numbness and nightmares. I can never thank you enough for helping me....but I can give you the one thing I think you deserve more than anyone else...love. I love you, Luke."

Luke stared at her, not expecting Mara to love him. He knew he loved her but was sure it would take much hard work and patience for the former Emperor's Hand to open her heart to him. "Mara....are you...I mean..."

Mara's hand went to the back of Luke's head and pulled him close enough for her to gently capture his unsuspecting mouth with hers. Luke closed his eyes and lost himself in the sensations that Mara created in him. He felt her reaching to him through their bond and he immediately widened it, nurtured it to the full bond they had grown accustomed to during the times Luke would wrap the Force around them to help Mara sleep. The bond was familiar at first then unfamiliar emotions flowed between them as they both opened every corner of their hearts and souls.

Mara sighed against Luke's lips as his brightness flooded through her, his love healing her soul like no other way could. She greedily drank in his love, in return, showing him exactly how much she treasured him.

For the longest time the two laid pressed together, their breaths fanning each other's face as their love flowed freely between them. Finally Mara drew back to look at the man she knew she was destined to be with as he was the only person who had ever touched her soul and heart in any way. "Do you really want to get married?"

Luke tried not to grin too widely. "Yes, I do. Will you marry me?"

Mara's face flushed in unusual embarrassment. She suddenly felt shy. "Yes, I will marry you."

Luke couldn't help but kiss her again, still careful not to push but not holding back either. Mara could feel his joy and hoped he knew how happy he made her. "It won't be easy, Luke. This baby will change us and as I will still have painful memories to deal with."

"We will deal with everything together." He reminded her and took a deep breath. "But for now, you need to rest, love." He had felt how weary and achy Mara was through their bond. He was startled when he felt her draw away from him through that very bond.

"I want to try to sleep without using the Force. I feel so much more peace now...I think it will work." She smiled at him as she withdrew totally.

Luke nodded, not wanting to take the chance but knowing this was a turning point for her. "All right." He broke the last tendril of Force connection between them, knowing they could control the depth of their bond but never really close completely. "But you need to sleep." Luke once again began running his hand through her hair.

"Goodnight, Luke. I love you." She mumbled after a deep sigh and her eyes closed.

Luke motioned toward the light on the far wall and it blinked out, the room illuminated from the small safety light across the threshold to the refresher. "I love you too, Jade." He whispered against her forehead as he settled into sleep beside her, his hand caressing her hair while she drifted off to sleep until it stilled against her cheek as sleep overtook him.

Luke stretched carefully a few hours later, silently cursing the farmer's internal chrono that he had never been able to overcome. He looked down at the mass of red hair still snuggled against him and kissed the top of her head then carefully eased her arm from around his waist and his arm from under her head.

Mara moaned a bit and Luke had a sudden, uneasy feeling. He eased from the bed carefully and knelt beside it, his brow furrowed. His hand caressed Mara's face and he drew his hand back in surprise after feeling cold, clammy skin. With a quick flick of his hand, the illumination in the room increased slightly and Luke could see how sweaty Mara was. His hand rubbed his nightshirt and sure enough, it was damp from her perspiration. Luke pushed to his feet, his panic rising as he rubbed his damp hand on his covered thigh, glancing down as he did then looking once more when something caught his attention. A portion of his sleep pants, right above his knee, was stained red.

"What the..." Luke mumbled, wondering how he had injured himself and not known it. He suddenly looked at Mara's distressed state, then back to his bloodied pant leg then felt as if his heart had turned to ice. The numbness freezing him for a moment then helping him not panic at the sight that greeted him when he eased the blanket off Mara's hip.

Luke squeezed his eyes shut, trying to pretend that the small stain on the sheet below Mara didn't exist and that she wasn't being forced to endure yet another tragedy. She twisted and cried out as she did and for the second time in a few weeks, Luke didn't know how to help her. He had no knowledge of these sorts of things but he knew this was wrong, terribly wrong. He could feel it.

Luke felt his icy demeanor slip and his emotions and thought assault him in a rising panic. He backed up from the bed. "What do I do?" He mumbled, knowing there was no one to hear. He continued backing away from the sight until his back hit the wall of the room. Suddenly Luke turned and raced to the cockpit of the Jade's Fire.

Finding the hyperspace control, he took a calm breath knowing that by the time he changed and helped Mara, they would be out of hyperspace and ready to near the planet. After taking a brief moment to calm himself and collect his thoughts, Luke made his way back to Mara's cabin. Ignoring his own heartache at what Mara was enduring and concentrating solely on the woman who needed him, who had overcome one trauma and was now facing yet another one.

Chapter 6

Luke paced back and forth in front of the medcenter doors, his eyes snapping toward the doors every time they opened. Finally the doors opened and the man he was waiting for strode through them. Luke could tell by Doctor Yezzan's weary expression that he didn't have good news.

"Is Mara ok?" Luke allowed the doctor take him by the arm and herald him through another door and into his office. Luke sank into the chair, intensifying his bond with Mara and feeling her deep sleep.

Dr. Yezzan sat on the edge of his desk. "Ms. Jade is going to be fine. She's still sedated at the moment and it will be a few hours before she awakens." He spoke slowly and clearly, having had the displeasure of doing this many times.

Luke took a deep breath. "The baby?" He watched the man closely and had his answer before the man ever spoke.

The doctor sighed. "There is never an easy way to say this, Master Skywalker. Ms. Jade lost the baby."

Luke had already felt that in his heart and soul. After several tries, he finally got the words out. "Why? What happened?"

The doctor stood and walked around his desk. "There are no explanations most of the time. It wasn't anything Mara did or didn't do....the embryo just didn't attach properly."

Luke didn't want to talk about this anymore. "Does Mara know?" He hated the fact that he was kept from her after bringing her to the medcenter, bleeding and crying.

Dr. Yezzan nodded. "She required minor surgery and I explained what was happening before she agreed to it."

Luke stood and began to pace. "She shouldn't have been alone." Luke tried to push away the feeling of helplessness that had plagued him since discovering a bleeding Mara but it was too much for him and the feelings washed over him. "I should have done something."

"Master Skywalker, we couldn't examine her with you in the room and no one is allowed in surgery suites." The doctor knew exactly what emotions Luke was struggling with. "You could have done nothing better than you did. You got her here and that is most important." He reasoned.

Luke's anger suddenly flashed to the surface. Anger at the rape, the pregnancy and the miscarriage was all directed toward the innocent man who just happened to be standing before him. "I should have protected her." He yelled.

Dr. Yezzan waited to see if there was more, knowing the frazzled Jedi needed to vent. But when he only sagged against the wall, the doctor approached him. "These things happen no matter what any of us do. We all do our best and that is all we can do."

Luke couldn't remember ever feeling so emotionally tired. "I want to see her, stay with her." Luke wasn't up to arguing but there was no way he was going to leave Mara again.

Dr. Yezzan nodded. "Certainly. Mara is in a private room with a private nurse attending her. Considering the notoriety of both you and her, I thought this would be the best way to maintain her privacy."

Luke smiled faintly. "Thank you. We really don't need the press involved."

"I understand that and I've taken every measure possible to insure that." The doctor led Luke out of the office and down the hallway behind the double doors to a closed door to the right.

Luke inhaled sharply when his gaze fell on Mara for the first time. She looked small like a child in the large medical bed, her red hair fanned out around her face. Luke eyed the tube that ran from a small machine and disappeared into her arm. "What are you giving her?" He asked.

"Nutrients." He answered simply.

The doctor motioned the nurse from the room as Luke leaned over and kissed Mara on the forehead. He longed for her to wake up so he could feel her but at the same time, he was glad she was in peace at the moment. The moments from when he had drawn Mara from her fitful slumber to help her change then hearing her weep as he landed the Jade's Fire on Jebben had ravaged Luke's soul.

He sank into the chair beside the bed, his hands gripping one of hers tightly. "I'm so sorry, Mara."

"Master Skywalker. Were you the child's father?" Dr. Yezzan asked.

Luke's hardened gaze flew toward the doctor. "Why is that your business?" He snapped.

Dr. Yezzan moved closer to the bed. "I don't mean to upset you. Please understand that I am Mara's doctor and anything concerning her is confidential."

Luke's gaze softened toward the much older man. "Why do you ask?" He inquired again.

"While we were sedating her, she was repeating over and over that it was 'his' fault. He hurt her and caused this." The doctor tried to probe gently. "I ask because I need to know who she was referring to and keep him from her."

Luke briefly wondered if the doctor thought it was him. "He will never hurt her again." He whispered.

"Why is that?" Dr. Jeeben pushed.

"Because he raped Mara and I stopped him. I thought he was unconscious so I turned my back to him. He raised his blaster to kill me and Mara killed him." Luke whispered.

"And this pregnancy resulted from that trauma?" He quietly sat in the chair on the other side of Mara, looking with pity at the resting victim.

"Yes." Luke whispered. "And no one knows so..."

"This is between me and the two of you. I knew who she and you were when you first arrived and as I said, the nurse and I are the only two who will attend to Ms. Jade and I will give her medical datapad to Mara when she recovers." Dr. Yezzan stood again.

Luke stared at him in amazement. "Thank you for helping us."

The doctor nodded. "She should wake up soon and then your job starts."

Luke glanced at Mara then back at the doctor. "Tell me what to do. How do I do this?"

"Just be honest...and let her know she has your love and support." He smiled at the young man's surprise. "Yes, it's fairly obvious how much you care for her. Just be there and give her time. I'll check back on her in an hour or so and the nurse will give you two some privacy."

Luke nodded and quickly stood to shake the man's hand. "Thank you, Dr. Yezzan." Luke watched the doctor leave the room and he sank back into the chair beside Mara. After a few moments of staring at her, Luke finally walked around the other side of the bed and carefully slid in beside her, laying his arm across her just below her breasts. Luke kissed her temple. "We will survive, Mara. We have to."

Luke laid his head against hers and the anxieties of the day rushed at him. The Jedi Master wasn't just worried about Mara recovering mentally and physically, he was worried that she would push him away and they would lose each other forever, and he knew that was something that neither one of them would ever recover from.

Mara's hesitant eyes struggled to open against the bright light as she slowly drifted back to consciousness, her thoughts and emotions a jumbled mess. The light that distressed her eyes dimmed considerably and she managed to force them open, instinctively stiffening at the strange surroundings then groaning at the slight pain that caused.

*It's ok, Mara.* She became aware of the other presence joined with hers, enveloping her with warmth and love but still separated enough for her to regain control of her own thoughts.

She closed her eyes again against the unfamiliar setting and instead concentrated on the familiar voice resonating in her mind. *Luke, where am I?*

She turned her head sideways slightly, just knowing the soft skin she nuzzled up against belonged to the man she silently communicated with. She could feel a shuddering breath run through Luke before he finally communicated aloud with her.

"You're in a medcenter on Jeeben, Mara." He whispered above the top of her head.

"Why? What happened....I was asleep and uncomfortable...and then...." Mara struggled to remember but only bits and pieces would come to her. "There was a doctor telling me things....and the pain was horrible...."

Mara suddenly jerked away from Luke, her hands going to her stomach as comprehension dawned on her. Luke slowly sat up, not wanting to intrude. He could feel her reaching through the Force, using it to recall what had transpired. Had it not been such a troublesome time, Luke would have been proud of her ability. He waited patiently until she sobbed and sank back against the bed, limp and defeated. Then Luke knew it was his time to intervene.

"Mara, I'm so sorry that this happened." He spoke aloud to her as she covered her face with both hands. "I'm so sorry." He whispered.

Mara twisted in the bed, rolling onto her side with her back to him. Luke flinched when he felt her sever the link between him and his mind screamed out for hers. "Leave me alone." She sobbed.

Luke slowly stood from the bed just as the door creaked open and the doctor entered. Luke looked at him with pleading eyes and the man nodded before addressing his patient. "Ms. Jade, I'm Dr. Yezzan."

Mara didn't look at the doctor, only stared straight ahead. "Get out."

"You really need to be checked, Trader Jade. Your bleeding needs to be controlled and..." She interrupted him before he could get it all out.

"You can't help me so get out." When he objected again, Mara screamed out him. "Get out."

Dr. Yezzan was stunned and easily moved when Luke took him by the elbow and ushered him out into the hallway. "I'm sorry, Dr. Yezzan. Mara just realized what all happened and she's not in the best mood at the moment."

"I understand but her health is of utmost importance..." The doctor took his glassed off to peer at the young man.

Luke sighed, feeling weary to the bone. Not just from waiting the last few hours for Mara to regain consciousness but from going over every possible reaction he thought she could have and preparing for it. And yet for all his planning, he hadn't been able to reach her. "I'll make sure she enters a healing trance."

The doctor frowned. "You mean a trance where her body heals itself?"

"No, the Force will heal her. During a healing trance, the Force heals the body and the spirit as well at times." Luke tried to explain.

"And you can convince her to do this?" The doctor asked, recalling the solitary mood his patient had displayed.

Luke nodded his agreement then turned to enter the room again. "Thank you." He said then opened the door a fraction to slip back inside. The doctor sighed, silently wishing him the best of luck.

Luke walked to the chair on the side of the bed that Mara was facing and sat down with a sigh. He watched her closely but made no move to touch her. Her eyes were squeezed shut and her hands gripped the edges of the blanket over her.

Luke wasn't sure what to do. "Mara, " He whispered. "Tell me how to help you."

Dull eyes opened to stare at him. "Tell me why this happened? Am I still being punished for being the Emperor's Hand? Will I never have peace?" Her voice was calm, way too calm for Luke's comfort.

"This wasn't punishment for you, Mara. This was a medical problem. Not anything you did now or before...you have to understand that." Luke knew from his talks with the nurse as she had periodically checked on her unconscious patient to expect Mara to blame herself and possibly others, needing to have a reason for this tragedy. "Please Mara, know that you did nothing wrong."

"Then who did?" She growled with her face still expressionless.

Luke swallowed hard. "Nothing any of us did would have changed this, Mara." He desperately wanted to hold her but knew he couldn't crowd her, he had to give her time.

A few tears slid down Mara's face. "I want you to leave." She said while closing her eyes again.

Luke sighed. "I'll come back and visit you..."

"NO." Tears flowed more freely. "Leave me, leave this medcenter and don't come back."

Luke stared at her, not expecting her to lash out at him so hard. "Mara, please don't do this."

"Go away." She sobbed and Luke angrily wiped his own tears away as she continued. "Just leave me here and let me go."

Luke reached his hand out as if to touch her, and Mara rolled away without opening her eyes, putting her back to him again. Luke quickly stood. "If I leave it won't be for good. I won't do it and I can't do it."

"Leave me." She screeched and Luke finally snapped.

He strode quickly around the bed to face her, calling her name to make her look at him. Careful of her sore abdomen and flailing fists, Luke did the only thing he knew to not lose the woman he loved, he pulled her close. His sat on the edge of the bed and held a sobbing, ranting Mara in his arms until all the fight drained from her. Then he gently let her relax against the bed as he twisted around to lie beside her, pulling her unresisting body into his arms again.

"I can't let you destroy yourself, Mara. I love you too much to lose you."

Mara's tear soaked face slowly drew back to look at the man's beside her as he wiped the tears from his face. "You still love me?" She whispered.

Luke's hand rested on her face, his thumb wiping the tears on her face. "I love you more than my next breath, Mara Jade. Don't you ever doubt that." He knew he had to make her believe. "I meant it when I said that I would stand by you. I will always love you and be at your side."

Slowly Mara's eyes became more focused, seeing the man beside her as she knew him to be. "I love you, Luke and I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Luke whispered, kissing her forehead and reaching through the Force for her.

Mara felt the small tendril of Force and knew that this was the time she had to decide on her future, her life. She slowly opened her mind and let the love and support flow through from Luke to her, her mind joining with the one it was meant to. *Luke.*

The Jedi Master pulled her head against his chest, cradling it there. *I'm here, Mara and I always will be.*

*Always?* She asked as she felt him helping her into a relaxed stage of a healing trance.

*Always, love.* Luke held her even tighter as she drifted further into the healing trance, her energy being channeled into that purpose. Keeping a close mental contact with her, Luke swore to himself to never be far from her then let all of his energy join hers to heal her body, heart and soul.

Chapter 7
Four weeks later

Luke gave a long, contented sigh as he lay on his bed, thankful to be back on Coruscant and in his own apartment even if it was just for a brief stopover. It had been a long four weeks since Mara had been attacked and then another long four weeks as she had healed from losing the baby. As we both healed from a great many things, he thought to himself.

Luke rolled onto his side, his gaze settling on his wife stretched out beside him still slumbering peacefully. He reached out and smoothed the hair away from her face and smiled in spite of himself when she rolled onto her side, responding to his mere touch. The blonde farmboy turned Jedi wrapped his arm around her hip and pulled her close, his lips capturing hers in a gentle kiss.

Mara moaned and instinctually pressed her body closer to his. Luke's eyes widened a bit at her unusual and unexpected response. Forgetting himself for the moment, Luke deepened the kiss, his body responding to hers in the most natural way. Mara clung to the Jedi; her tongue and mouth teasing him until Luke broke away from her and gasped for air.

Luke still held his precious spouse close but his head was titled back, his eyes tightly closed and panting breaths escaping his mouth. It was much too soon for this and yet he couldn't stop the feelings that she had sent coursing through him.

"I'm sorry, Luke." She whispered, awaken and fully understanding what had just happened.

Luke's gaze snapped to her, a forced smile in place. "You didn't do anything, love."

Mara smiled at the man she had married only four days before. "Yes, I did and I am sorry."

Luke kissed her gently. "Mara....I would wait for you forever for this."

Mara slowly drew out of Luke's arms and sat up on the bed, their bed that they would share now as husband and wife. "I...I think we should talk about this. I mean now that we're married, I know you will want...or expect..."

Luke raised onto his elbow and shushed her. "Mara, I love you. That's why I married you and not so I would have a bed companion."

Mara giggled and Luke realized his blunder. "Ok, so sleeping together was one of the reasons we got married but not.... in a sexual way." Luke watched her grinning and he fell back against the bed, his face flushed. "Oh, Mara."

She giggled more and raised up on her knees to peer down at him. "I know what you meant."

Luke pulled her back down beside him. "I hope so. I don't expect anything from you at anytime, Jade. It will take a long time for us to reach that level of intimacy." He rubbed the side of her face gently.

"Thank you for understanding." She whispered.

Luke nodded. "I do understand. When you're ready, I'm here and even then it will be a slow process of learning each other..."

Luke accepted her gentle kiss then stiffened as a familiar presence brushed against him. Mara frowned at his reaction then saw the strange expression on his face. After he relaxed, she sighed. "Leia knows we're back on Coruscant?"

Luke nodded. "Yes. I need to speak with her. Why don't you contact Talon and we'll just tell them all about our marriage at the same time. Maybe meet in Leia's office in an hour?"

Mara nodded but didn't budge yet. "Luke.... I'm going to tell them the truth about the baby as well." She scooted away from Luke and in one swift motion, was on her feet and ready to argue.

Luke raised back up on his elbow, eyeing her warily. "Why would you do that?"

"Because they deserve to know the truth." She was fully prepared to fight this out. "I don't want this secret between us and your family and Talon deserves to know why I've been missing from my job the last four weeks and flying around doing menial scouting for him before that."

Luke slid off the bed to his feet. "Mara, you don't need to go over all this again. You're just going to bring back all the pain and memories."

Mara took a deep breath. "I want to do this."

Luke stared at her for a moment, secretly thrilled to have the old Mara returning. Her eyes were bright with anger and she looked every bit as dangerous as he had seen her in the past. Luke finally nodded. "It's your decision, Mara. I just don't want you hurting anymore."

Mara smiled, pleased to have won this first round. "I can't explain it, Luke but I know that this is the right thing to do."

Luke walked around the bed and grabbed his comlink from the small stand against the wall. "I trust you to do what is right, Mara." He reached his hand out to her and Mara took it without hesitation, wondering if she could possibly ever love this man more than she did right now.

Talon Karrde paced around the Chief of States's office, back and forth in front of Leia's desk while she sat behind it, her nervous gaze following him. Han Solo sat in the corner in a wing chair, paying no attention to the pacing trader but instead still thinking about Luke's message for them all to meet here in Leia's office.

Han looked toward his wife sitting at her desk. "Leia, did he tell you anything else?" He asked again.

Leia sighed at having been asked this question several times already by both Han and Talon. "Luke told me that he and Mara had just gotten back on Coruscant a few hours ago and that they wanted to meet us here."

Talon shook his head. "I hope Mara is doing ok." He frowned when remembering the holo-com call from Luke a few weeks ago. Just from the young man's face, he knew it was bad. Talon shuddered, hoping nothing else had went wrong for the couple. "I wonder what he and Mara need to speak with us about." He mumbled.

Leia grinned. "You can ask them." She quickly stood as she had sensed their approaching presence and the door to her office swung open.

Luke stepped to the side to allow Mara to enter first then he shut the door behind him, pulling the rushing Leia into a hug. "I've missed you, Leia."

His sister hugged him tight then drew back to kiss his cheek. "And I've missed you." Leia released her brother and turned slightly to Mara. She smiled as warmly at the woman as she could. "And it is good to see you again as well, Mara."

Mara was surprised by Leia's pleasantries. "Thank you, Leia."

Talon Karrde grinned at the two Jedi. "It's good to see both of you and Mara, you look so much better." He was genuinely pleased to see Mara not look as tired and rundown as she had before.

Han greeted the two of them and a few minutes of awkward silence ensued until Han finally cleared his throat. "Uh, we are all very sorry about the baby."

Mara stepped closer to Luke and his arm went around her shoulders. "Thank you." The Trader replied. "That's actually why we're here. We have a few things that we need to tell you."

Luke snorted and stared down at her. Mara smiled without ever looking at him. "I have a few things that I need to tell you." She corrected.

Han motioned them all toward seats. "And I take it that Luke disagrees with you?"

He and Leia sat down in two chairs while Talon stood. Mara sat on the edge of a chair and watched Luke begin to pace around. "Luke understands that this is something that I have to do, that I have to set straight." Mara's eyes were following Luke as she spoke and he finally stopped pacing to look at her, not wanting to argue over the same thing they had been all the way here.

"I wish you wouldn't but I do understand." It was important to him that she knew he supported her.

Mara started her story. "A few weeks ago, Luke and I were on a mission to recover datapads for Talon." She watched her employer nod in agreement before continuing. "On our way to the planet, Luke and I encountered a trader and picked up the J'dord virus from him. Luke purged his system of the virus but I didn't think it was a big deal so I ignored his advice of a healing trance and by the time we were ready to infiltrate the base where the datapads were, I was showing the symptoms of the virus. My stomach hurt, my head was dizzy and I had a hard time focusing."

"You didn't go on the mission like that?" Talon interrupted, not liking what he was hearing.

Mara sighed. "I did, Talon, and I know I shouldn't have. Luke tried to stop me but he couldn't."

Mara could feel Talon's displeasure with her but she couldn't worry about that now, she had to finish this story before losing her nerve. "Anyway...Luke and I separated at the base to get the datapads quicker. I had almost secured the one I was after when five men rushed me. I fought with them but I was weak and unfocused and they...subdued me on the floor."

Mara's voice had gotten softer and softer as she spoke. Talon glanced sideways at Luke who stood in the corner, his eyes bright with emotion as he stared at Mara. Talon slowly looked back at Mara who continued. "I struggled to get away but I couldn't...I only angered and antagonized the men until one of them...he was hitting me and I tried to draw on the Force to stop him but the virus had made me so confused and then the pain of his strikes were intensifying..."

Mara took a deep breath, not daring to look at anyone. She stared at her clasped hands in her lap.

Han sat back in his chair, not wanting to hear more but wanting to know what happened all at the same time. He watched Luke slump into a chair in the corner, back away from and behind the one Mara now sat in.

Mara struggled with her next words. "When I was almost unconscious, the man who had hit me...forced himself on me." She whispered.

Leia's hand flew to her mouth and Talon stumbled forward as if he'd been struck. Han felt icy fingers closing in on him and he again glanced at Luke, wondering how the kid had dealt with this. If it had been Leia....

Mara took a deep, shaky breath. "I screamed through the Force and Luke came...he stopped the others from hurting me. I killed my attacker when he raised a blaster to Luke."

Leia sank to her knees in front of Mara, her hands joining the trembling ones of the trader. "I am so sorry this happened, Mara."

Slowly Mara's eyes shifted upwards to meet the Chief of States. "Thank you." Her words were barely audible. "Leia, you have to understand about this. Luke stayed with me every night after the attack, helping me accept and deal with what had happened. He would hold me night after night, using the Force to stop my nightmares so I could sleep."

Leia brushed an errant tear from the corner of her eye. "I'm sorry that I gave you such a hard time in the basin. I didn't know, Mara but there is still no excuse for my behavior. And if I caused you to lose the baby..."

"No," Mara's hand rested on the kneeling woman's forearms. "No one did anything to cause this. It's taken me weeks to finally accept it but this was an accident....not anyone's fault."

Leia looked at the woman she was attempting to console but who had ended up consoling her and for the first time, she saw her in a different way. "Thank you for telling me that."

Leia gave Mara's arm a squeeze then pushed up to her feet and sat back down in her chair.

Talon was furious and sad all at the same time. "Why didn't you tell us, Mara? You don't have to go through these things alone."

Mara shrugged. "I was ashamed, and angry and I just didn't want to talk about it. I probably would have never told anyone about this but...while in the basin after crashing, a consequence of my attack became obvious."

Leia's gaze flew to her brother as understanding dawned on her. She shook her head, not wanting to believe how terrible she had been to Mara when the woman could have used her support.

Mara took a deep breath. "The child I lost was not Luke's, not by blood anyway." She whispered and watched Leia's eyes close then reopen and shift to look at her.

"Mara, I wish I could change things and make this right. You didn't deserve any of this." She said softly.

Han stood and paced around, ending up behind Luke's chair and laying his hands on the younger man's shoulders in support.

Talon took Han's former seat. His gaze briefly rested on Luke Skywalker. He had thought there was nothing the man could do that would surprise him or increase the respect that Talon had for him but he had been wrong. Talon knew there were few men like Luke and he was thankful that he and Mara were such good friends. Talon looked at his second in command. "Mara, I wish I had known and could have helped you."

Mara smiled faintly. "There was nothing you could do. I just had to come to terms with everything that had happened."

Talon nodded. "How are you now?"

Mara relaxed a bit more now that the worst part was over. "I've healed physically from the rape and miscarriage. Mentally, I work on it more everyday but I'm calm and secure again, thanks to a certain Jedi Master." She couldn't see Luke as his chair was behind hers. "He's done a wonderful job helping my mind and spirit heal."

"We've done a wonderful job." Luke corrected, feeling Han's grip on him squeeze him tighter for a second or two in support.

Mara nodded. "Yes, we have. And I wanted the three of you to know the truth. Luke and I were not involved before this happened or when we were in the basin. Luke was my friend and he was helping me...more than anyone will ever understand."

Luke slowly stood and after a quick thanks to Han, he walked closer to Mara as she stood. Luke hugged her against him. "But that has changed now." He added. "Mara and I discovered through this ordeal that we love each other."

Leia smiled at their brief kiss and Han clapped his hands. "It's about time the two of you saw what we all figured out long ago."

The two Jedi laughed and hugged tighter, not trying to hide their love and affection from each other any longer.

Talon was grinning from ear to ear until his gaze caught a flash of light reflecting off something on Luke's hand. He inhaled sharply causing everyone to look at him. Mara and Luke drew apart slightly and Luke grinned at the look on Talon's face as he stared at the Jedi Master's hand. "And Talon just figured out our last secret."

Talon continued to stare at them. "No, no....you didn't?"

Mara answered by releasing Luke enough to hold up her left hand, the gold band sparkling in the light and making it hard for everyone not to guess their secret.

Leia gasped and jumped to her feet, grabbing Mara's hand to look closer. Luke stumbled away from Mara, laughing at his sister's sudden movement. "Mara and I were married a few days ago on Jebben."

Leia slowly dropped Mara's hand, disbelief etched on her face. Han quickly walked to her, worried about her reaction. His arm went around her shoulders but he couldn't help but grin at the newlyweds who were both being hugged by Talon. "Congratulations." Han called out to them.

Luke stepped closer to his sister after de-tangling from Talon. "Leia, Mara and I love each other very much. We've had some pretty hard times lately and we've grown closer than we ever thought we could."

Leia nodded then looked at her new sister in law. "Do you love Luke?"

Mara moved to Luke's side. "I love your brother more than I ever knew I was capable of."

They both waited for Leia's reaction and were surprised when she wrapped an arm around each their shoulders and pulled them both close, hugging them tightly. "I'm so happy for the two of you." They hugged her back albeit Mara's was an awkward attempt then Leia released them. "I can see how happy you are and you both deserve this happiness. Welcome to our family, Mara."

Mara stared at her in surprise. "Thank you." Han released Leia and gave the new married couple a quick hug as well.

"Do we get to throw you a party or something at least." He teased.

Mara laughed, the first time some of them had ever heard such a thing from her. "Actually, if my boss will let me have another week or two off work...Luke and I would like to leave right away for a honeymoon."

Talon grinned. "You take all the time you want...and need." They all laughed together for a few moments and though they hated to leave their friends and family, Luke and Mara were anxious to get their trip as husband and wife started.

"We really need to get going now." He said then waited until the protests had died down before continuing. "We just stopped by Coruscant to tell you our news and pick up more clothes for me."

"We know but there are so many people you should tell about your marriage and...." Leia stopped talking when she noticed all the people laughing at her. "It's true. This marriage is a massive deal."

Luke kissed her quickly. "Then you tell everybody and we're going now." He laughed and took Mara by the hand, pulling her toward the door as she bid goodbye to everyone.

Leia waved goodbye then quickly sat down behind her desk, already geared up to break this most unexpected news to the entire galaxy.

Once out of Leia's office, Luke stopped and pulled her close, not caring who saw them. "Are you ready to begin our life together?" He whispered against her lips.

Mara surrendered to his kiss, savoring his sweet taste then finally drew back to answer. "We started our life together a long time ago, Luke. We're just now finally admitting it to ourselves."

Luke smiled, amazed at how easily she captured in words what he was feeling in his heart. Again, he took her by the hand and the two Jedi exited Leia's office to begin their honeymoon and the rest of their lives together.

THE END