Memories and Stories from Vietnam Era Oriskany Sailors

I came aboard the USS Oriskany in September of 1969. I had a wonderful 12 hour flight with an Air Force family from Georgia. We landed at Clark Air Force Base near Manila, and then I rode a military bus to Subic Bay. I remember the hills with thousands of WWII white crosses, and then getting aboard the mail plane to fly out and catch the ship on route from Yankee Station to Sasebo, Japan. We faced backwards in this plane, and looking out the small window, I could see this small little ship way down on the ocean. Well, the weather was rough, and my stomach wasn't tough, so as soon as we landed on that now not so small little ship, I headed for the head.

I was introduced to the guys in the OE Division by CWO Calhoun, who was a great guy, as were all members of the OE Division! I had received a telegram from home on the day I arrived (I was a dad), and I was probably a little homesick. Everybody gave me time to get used to my new surroundings. Then we hit Sasebo, and the division planned a party at one of the bars (Black Rose). In town there was a long line of vendors that all operated via the barter method; hopefully I got some good deals on the photo albums I bought.

Back at sea, I remember Mr. Calhoun calling division meetings, and saying: "Does anyone have anything to bring up, ... besides your lunch?" I also remember a great sailor named Tindall who always used to say "It's the good life!" He made me laugh and the humor helped me adjust to being away from home. My new home was now a middle canvas rack tied onto a metal frame that had another rack 24 inches above it and 24 inches below, and we had a sheet metal locker that was one foot wide, two feet high, and maybe a foot and a half deep. This was now home for as long as we were out to sea.

On Yankee Station, Chief Tanaka (another great guy) would call muster; I guess to make sure we were all still onboard and ready to maintain our equipment (radar, tacan, loran, transmitter, etc). Yankee Station was typically 90 degrees, and at night it was hot and sweaty sleeping conditions. I remember tightening the ropes on the guy's rack above me so he wouldn't sag down so far. I believe he was Clyde Becknell, and across from me was Ray Carson. Luckily most of our equipment was in air conditioned spaces in the island. During the day out at sea (if our space was clean, equipment up, maintenance checks complete, and it wasn't our duty day) we played cards, listened to music, told jokes (George Thomann always had a few), played trivia with Moose (aka Jeff Webster), watched flight ops, or just sun bathed.
Of course another group in the division played poker. Unfortunately, they suckered in many a new sailor and many of them ended up losing their next (or 2 or 3) paycheck(s) to those vultures.

Of course, some tragic situations did occur. One time during a launch the right wheel (or strut) broke about half way down the catapult. The plane turned sideways as it was being pushed off from the right side catapult. It got pushed right over the bow, and unfortunately the pilot was unable to eject in time.
Later, on another cruise on Oct 2, in 1971 or 1972, we were landing planes during rough seas. I remember watching the landing monitor and watching a plane approaching as normal. I heard the Landing Officer talk about the approach as he often did. This landing, however, was coming in too low and with the altitude and speed monitors; then I heard him ask for more speed, and for the pilot to bring it up. And then I watched as the aft end of the ship raised up as it often did during rough seas, and then hearing one final plea to pull it up. It seemed that immediately following this, with a sense the urgency in his voice, the officer said "wave off" "wave off." Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the pilot was unable to respond, and the plane collided with the aft end of the ship (the fantail). It was very sad watching it all unfold. The ship's communication system announced "Fire on the Flightdeck," and a few seconds later announced "Fire in the Hanger Bay." Note: It has taken me a few times to write this part, however I wanted to document it for history's sake - even though I found it tough writing to write about sad events - even after 27 years.

On Yankee Station on the Gulf of Tonkin, we often held flight ops day and night. As a ship's company sailor I never felt in danger, except when we had a two hour gap between GQ drills, and I was still 20 people back in the chow line when the next GQ alarm was rung. :o)

Of the places I liked the best overseas, I liked going to Kyoto, Japan. The ship was having problems with its screw, so we had to go into dry dock in Yokohama. We had a chance to bring our wives out during this time. So I did, and Nancy and I stayed at the Three Sisters Inn and visited many wonderful sights around Kyoto and in Nara.

Most of the time during a cruise, our ship docked in Subic Bay, and we headed off to Olongapo City to our favorite bar. Note: There were hundreds of them to choose from, and after a few beers or a pitcher of Mojo, the environment (bands, etc.) were looking pretty good too. I remember singing the Ballad of Subic Bay, and just plain having a lot of fun with my good Navy buddies. I can honestly say I never got sick, or so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing overseas. Unfortunately, however, I did see the results of a few who did, and I'll share those stories with Peterson's and Backner's children if they e-mail me. :-)

During my time on board, I maintained the SPS-30 radar, the SPS-10 radar, and I was in charge of the repeater gang for awhile where we maintained the SPA-4s, 8s, 33s, and the 66. We also spent a lot of time replacing our SPA 4s and 8s with newer SPA 25s. That was a fun (and challenging) project. Bill Simacek and I had a lot of fun getting everything to run. Bill was a great guy from Hoboken, New Jersey. He told me about the knife fights he got into as a kid, and I was doubtful at first until he showed me a multitude of scars. I thought, "no way am I raising my kids there!"

I left the Oriskany in October of 1973 (since I was due to get out of the Navy in December). Overall, one main thing I miss is getting up early in the morning and leaning over the rail and watching the ship cut through the ocean. And, I guess I miss the old Navy buddies (and they are all definitely old now). ;o)

If anyone else is willing to share their stories, memories, or feelings concerning these times, just e-mail them to me at [email protected].