Request November 2007 - Stephan K. Meinecke

Hello-

You dont know me, my name is Stephanie Meinecke, I am hoping you, or someone on here, will know/remember my father. He was in Fox Division, his name was Stephan K. Meinecke.

I am looking for information/stories/pictures/anything really about my father that you guys may have or remember. My father died May 12, 1992 of a stroke, I did not really know him very well....my parents were divorced...and I really want to learn more about him!

So if you could post this on your web site so that any of the guys that may have known him can contact me.

My contact info is:
Stephanie Meinecke
[email protected]

Thank you so much for your time and effort and of course thank you very much for serving our country!

Blessed Be
~Stephanie

Request May 2006 - Larry E. Rettig

Traci M. Payne-Rettig wrote:

Gerry, can you please post this question for me? I am looking for anyone who may have known Larry E. Rettig? I can't tell you when he was on the ship and for how long. I actually don't know much about him at all. He would have been my father-n-law, but passed away when my husband was 5 from a short battle with cancer. My husband is now 29. I'm figuring he was on the 1967 cruise or as late as the 1971 cruise. I know this is very little information to go on, but I'm afraid this is all I have. If I can find any more than this, I will get back with you. I would like to give my husband more information about his father than what he has. Even though he was so small when he passed, he is very proud of his Navy past even if it was minor. Even if you can't help me I love your web-site and I look forward to visiting again to see more of your pictures and reading the stories.

Email Traci at: [email protected]

Thank you so much,
Traci M. Payne-Rettig

Request December 2005 - Ramon Allen Copple

Scott Jacobs Studio wrote:

Dear Gerry,

I really enjoyed perusing your website - it is one of the best I've seen related to the MIGHTY O. I am the son of LTJG Ramon Allen Copple who was one of the 44 officers killed in the '66 fire. I was only 9 years old when he perished. My dad left behind a beautiful wife and another son and daughter as well. I'm wondering if you can help me locate his roommate whom he awoke that fateful morning and who he helped get out of harm's way. My dad actually went back down into the fire to find his commanding officer, LCDR Walter Merrick and other shipmates to try and assist them also, and he never made it back out after general quarters were ordered. I understand from speaking with other shipmates who were involved in rescue, that both my father and LDCR Merrick were found next to an air conditioning duct by a locked door.

The roommate came to our home several months later and told my family the story and we never saw or have heard from him since. I don't know the best way to go about this. I am an honorary member and have attended a reunion, but was unable to find any info about this gentleman. I would also be interested in any written documents related to the fire and its circumstances. Thank you very much for your time, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays.

Cheers,

Ron Copple
Scott Jacobs Studio
303-431-4453 www.scottjacobsstudio.com

Request November 2004 - James Sidney Donalson

Jessica Donalson ([email protected]) wrote:

Hello,
I found your website about the Oriskany aircraft carrier while searching the internet for information on the history of the ship. My father, James Sidney Donalson, was part of the Naval crew that served on the Oriskany during the Vietnam War. My father had several tours of duty on the Oriskany as an Assistant Air Operations Officer; including service in the Gulf of Tonkin, dating 9/16/66 under Capt. John H. Iarrobine and Rear Admiral Walter L. Curtis Jr., and service beginning on 7/6/67. He was aboard the ship during the fire dated 10/26/66.

I am trying to track down some of the people who were on the the ship with him. He is attemtping to secure a military service-connected compensation due to a mental illnes he has suffered from for the past 25 years. Documentation from people who served with him during Vietnam, will increase his eligibilty for the compensation claim.

Please let me know if you can help me with this matter. I greatly appreciate any help or direction you can lend me.

Sincerely,
Jessica Donalson

Request April 2004 - Donald Lee Brown

From: "Teresa Ballard" (email address: [email protected])
Subject: U.S.S. Oriskany -- June 15, 1962

Anyone remember this -- when a helicopter was attempting to land on the carrier and went off into the ocean? Pilot was recovered, but my uncle (Donald Lee Brown) never was.

If you remember this June 15, 1962 incident or my uncle Don Brown, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!!

Request February 2001 - Robert L. Hillis

"I am searching for my father Robert L. Hillis who served aboard the USS Oriskany sometime in 1969 - 1973. I believe he was on board in 1970 and was an AO-3 in the G-Division. I got that information from someone who found a picture of an RL Hillis in the '70 Oriskany cruise book.

Any information you could give me would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Jamie L. Cook
Columbus, Ohio"

Jamie Cook aka "germ513" has an email address of: [email protected]

You can see Jamie's father's picture on the 1970 G Division crew photo. I'm sure Jamie will appreciate any information you can provide.

Request July 1999 - Ray "Tiny Tim" Timberman

Hi,

My name is Shawna and I am looking for men that served on the USS Oriskany CVA 34 from 1958-1962 with my father Ray Timberman aka "Tiny Tim". If anyone knows him or served during this time please contact me at:

[email protected]

Thank you very much!

Shawna