This part of my home page is dedicated to my own personal interests, however most of that is evident through out. There are a lot of things that I am interested in and could fill all these pages with endless verbatim, but I'm going to try and limit it to topics and activities that I pursue on a regular basis.
SPORTS and LEISURE
Probably the easiest place to start. I've tried lots of sporting activities but never really mastered any, hence the fact that I am not a professional athlete. Nevertheless, here is a list of some of the activities which I enjoy watching, playing or participating in (in no particular order):
- member of high school and CIAU Bishop's Gaiters teams
- played in the school yard and used to really follow the sport like a religion that was until the players started getting paid insane amounts of money and became a who's who on America's Most Wanted - I still enjoy NCAA March Madness
- my one regret in life was never playing this sport in high school, oh well c'est la vie - now all I have to say is, "Go Bills Go"
- being Canadian hockey is supposed to run through my veins, well it does now as I follow it religiously, but growing up I didn't have an interest in it nor did I play it
- a one time avid fan - since the strike year I haven't gone to or watched an entire game, including the World Series - I still look at the box scores from time to time to see how my Chisox are doing - why don't I follow baseball anymore? See Basketball above
- this is an activity that I actually participate in and have been doing it for only the past five years or so - living in Alberta has given me great opportunities with respect to hiking and back country camping and there is nothing like climbing to the summit of a mountain and looking around for miles
SCHEDULED TRIP FOR AUGUST 2001 - THE MIGHTY ROCKWALL IN KOOTENAY NATIONAL PARK BRITISH COLUMBIA KEEP POSTED FOR PICTURES AND MORE BY SEPTEMBER
- once again living in Alberta has really boosted my involvement with this activity as nothing matches swooshing down the slopes at Lake Louise - by the way I'm still a purist and refuse to try snow boarding
- years ago I used to race road bikes and followed the Tour de France like I was going to ride in it someday, well the love is still there but I traded in my road bike for the mountain variety and am slowly getting into this sport
By far my most enjoyable activity as you get to experience new lands, far off places, different cultures and usually better weather. The links to the left list all the countries I have visited (so far). Included in that list are seven Canadian provinces and nineteen American states. Some of my favourite places I've visited are; Salzburg Austria, San Diego California, Saint Maarten and nothing can marvel the majesty of Canada's own Rocky Mountains (maybe a bias opinion).
MUSIC and ART
My wife tells me that my taste in art is eccentric. I don't know if I'd go that far but my favourite artists are people which individuals either love or hate usually without a middle ground. During university I took a couple courses on art history and found that I really enjoyed the works of Salvador Dali, Picasso, Jasper Johns, Andy Warhol and Frank Lloyd Wright. I enjoy more "traditional" works as well but I like art to make me look twice and feel a bit uneasy by its content. While not that disturbing, my absolute fascination with life in America during the 1960's causes me to appreciate the work of Jasper Johns and Andy Warhol as they mirrored the society which enthralls me so.
In the music world I listen to almost anything, blues, rock, pop, jazz, classical...anything except that crap called hip-hop, gangsta rap, heavy metal or most country. Talented? Maybe but not for these ears. Instead give me some Clapton, BB King, Van Morrison, Blue Rodeo, Rolling Stones, Tom Cochrane or a number of others.
MAYBE ITS JUST ME BUT THIS THING FREAKS ME OUT