Jonathan Paul Loomis

October 12, 1998

Field Experience: Education

Dr. Chace

1. What is the school's educational philosophy?
  2. I noted a couple of displays in the main lobby of the school, which presented some mission-type statements. However, they were so covered in dust that I have a hard time believing that they were terribly important. What did seem important to me was that the teachers seemed to be doing everything for the students possible. I would say that was the educational philosophy. Every student deserves a chance to learn no matter what situation or physical state he or she may be in.

3. What is the make-up of the student body by race, gender, number, age, economics, and special need?
  4. I observed that the student body was almost entirely African-American. There were very few other races present. Even the faculty mirrored this trend. There seemed to be a general balance between males and females in the student body, although I noted that there were more boys in the upper levels. I received no indication as to why this might be. At least two thirds of the students appeared to be of age 10 or younger. I would guess, judging by my understanding of Washington's ethnic makeup and the school's misrepresentation of African-Americans, that the students come from the lower levels of the economic ladder where parents are unable to send their children to private school. I personally would be very proud to send my child to C. M. Health. The special needs of the students were various, however they tended to be dominated by a restriction to wheelchairs and degrees of mental retardation. Blind and deft students made up a small portion of the population, with a fraction of other physical problems also being represented.

5. What do you think was the toughest teaching situation you observed? Describe.
  6. There was a young lady who only had brain stem function. What you do with a child like this in the way of education I can't even imagine.

7. What was the most effective teaching situation you observed? Describe.
  8. I was terribly impressed by the blind-deft teacher. He had his students' attention, their respect, and was actively communicating with them at all times. He said things out loud as well as signing them. He made it clear that they were learning, that what they were learning was important to them as well as to him, and that learning was fun. He verbally, with signs, body language, and emotionally rewarded his students for success.

9. What support services are available to staff (i.e. staff development, instructional assistants, peer support, etc.)?
  10. The administration takes care that the staff does not become too burnt out. Due to the potentially emotionally stressful situations the teachers face (death of students) the administration wants to keep its teachers upbeat. There did not seem to be much of a formal support network in place, but rather a feeling of camaraderie and friendship between teachers. They were all very friendly.

11. Parent involvement can be a valuable benefit to a school. What are the most appreciated ways parents are involved at C. Melvin Sharpe Health School?
  12. I noted that many of my classmates were aghast at the seemingly low turnout expected at the parent meetings, but I believe these numbers are misleading. What the teachers want from the parents at this school is not lots of money to build new playgrounds, but to know that the parents care about their children and are appreciative of what the teachers are doing educationally. The teachers need the parents to know that they are not just baby-sitters.

13. Do you think it is better to mainstream or to separate classrooms for students with disabilities?

I liked C. M. Health's strategy: keep the students separate only as long as is absolutely necessary. I don't like the idea of pullout education, but if there is no other way, so be it. I also like their attitude that every student is different and must be evaluated, and reevaluated constantly, as an individual, rather than as a member of a group with a particular affliction.

Back to My Recent Works Page

Go Home