Jonathan Loomis

October 5, 1998

Schools and Society

Professor Laughlin

Chapter Six Review

I suppose the most important thing I learned from Chapter Six was the process by which high school students learn social skills. Many of the items mentioned in this chapter seemed rather insignificant to me, or trivial, but that particular subject struck me as being interesting. I think that it was for two reasons. First, I am only recently graduated from high school and it is still difficult for me to look back on those years and that environment with a critical view. Second, that particular bit of information interested me because I intend to teach high school some day and I feel that understanding the sociology of my students will be critical to effectively teaching them.

I fully agreed with the author's point at the end of the chapter dealing with tracking and teacher expectations. I have experienced the effect of both high expectations and low expectations in my public education, and I feel that the author's sentiments are in line with what have lived. I further believe that, although both remedial and advanced students need different attention from those students considered the "norm," tracking is in the end detrimental to everyone. I do, however, believe that students need special attention in order that their special skills can be realized. These skills should not be based on standardized tests, but rather on the various intelegences, arts, spatial concepts, etc.

One thing that the author is convinced of that I don't exactly agree with, is his idea that an effective school is one that breaks the tie between socioeconomic status and achievement. Although this is important, it addresses test-based outcomes and not the development of students' various abilities.

I would like to know more about the socialization of high school aged students, and the social environment that high schools create and can create.

Back to My Recent Works Page

Go Home