Jonathan Loomis

September 28, 1998

Schools and Society

Professor Laughlin

Chapter 7 Questions

The most revealing piece of new information that I encountered in this particular chapter was the allusion made in one line to the development of ethnocentric core curriculum. I have never heard of this happening and although it does not surprise me that it has, I am interesting in its implications. Of course I am aware of the Cuban population's desire to maintain a Cuban culture bases school system in Miami, but I was under the impression that they did that by opening private schools. The only other example of this that I can possibly conjure up is the Ebonics fiasco some years ago. Are there African-American centered curriculum in some inner cities? Are there Hispanic centered curriculum in the South and West? Are areas dominated by these groups still being taught as if they were living is White suburbia?

One thing I agree with from this chapter was the importance it placed on understanding and thinking critically about the importance of extracurricular activities, or about particular extracurricular activities. There were many, many things from this chapter that I disagreed with. I have a specific problem with "back to the basics" advocates. I believe that public education (specifically secondary because it is my focus level) should be education for life. That means that students should be prepared for college, as well as vocational work. But above all, quality is the main concern. Students would be able to communicate (reading, writing, speaking, listening, no matter the language), and think critically about the world around them. There should be a core curriculum that all students should receive if they all graduate from the same high school. (This means that a Hispanic community could design a Hispanic centered curriculum for its students) and quality electives should be offered outside of the central core to enhance the student's learning based on what interests that particular student.

I would like to know more about the ethnocentric core curriculum idea.

Go back to My Recent Works Page

Go Home