Jonathan Paul Loomis

November 16, 1998

Schools and Society

Professor Laughlin

Chapters Ten and Eleven Review

I learned some very interesting facts from these two chapters. The most important things I learned dealt with the laws that govern schools and teachers. For example, I learned that it is illegal for teachers to strike in all but two states. Coming from the auto-centric state of Michigan I guess I've been accustomed to the culture of strikes and have always accepted them as legal and thought of businesses who oppose strikes as morally incorrect. So, I naturally was a bit shocked to find that striking is illegal for teachers. I was also surprised to learn about some of the things that are legal grounds for dismissal of a teacher; certain kinds of homosexual behavior for example. I personally can recall a teacher who was run out of my old school district for brining his boyfriend to a marching band parade.

I was also interested to learn that strip searches are illegal because I can recall that at my old middle school the student handbook contained a section outlining what the administration must do to protect the rights of a student who was being strip searched. Obviously the laws must have changed, or the school was simply in defiance of the laws. I did not agree with that author concerning touching students or learning about their lives outside of school. Although there is probably no place for touching in secondary education, there is no reason why it should be strictly avoided at the elementary level. Teachers must just be extra careful. I also believe that understanding a student's life is important in teaching to that student as an individual. Sometimes teaching effectively and doing what is right involves risks.

Back to My Recent Works Page

Go Home