Huxter4441's temporary web page
CONTENTS
My recent history....
33 years old... married...
Ph.D. in Anatomy and Cell Biology
Doctoral research on molecular phylogeny of Primates.
Selected publications(in no particular order and not necessarily updated):
[ALSO- I'm HTML ignorant, so greek letters are shown as their english counterparts]
Mol Phylogenet Evol 1998 Jun;9(3):585-98
Toward a phylogenetic classification of Primates based on DNA evidence complemented by fossil evidence.
Goodman M, Porter CA, Czelusniak J, Page SL, Schneider H, Shoshani J, Gunnell G, Groves CP
******************************************************************************************

Meireles, C.M., Czelusniak, J., Page, S.L., Gumucio, D.L., Schneider, M.P.C., and Goodman, M. Testing a model of the fetal recruitment of gamma-globin genes in callitrichine New World monkeys.
Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases. 24:491, 1998.

Goodman, M., Page, S.L., Meireles, C.M., and Czelusniak, J. Primate phylogeny and classification elucidated at the molecular level. In: Evolutionary Theory and Processes: Modern Perspectives, S.P. Wasser (ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers b.v., Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 193-212, 1999.

Porter, C.A., Page, S.L., Czelusniak, J., Schneider, H., Schneider, M.P.C., Sampaio, I., and Goodman, M. Phylogeny and evolution of selected primates as determined by sequences of the epsilon-globin locus and 5' flanking regions. International J. of Primatology 18: 261-295, 1997.

Page, S.L., Chiu, C-H., and Goodman, M. Molecular phylogeny of Old World monkeys (Cercopithecidae) as inferred from gamma-globin DNA sequences. Mol. Phylogenet. & Evol., (in press)

Chaves, R., Sampaio, I., Schneider, M. P., Schneider, H., Page, S. L., and Goodman, M. The place of Callimico goeldii in the callitrichine phylogenetic tree: evidence from von Willebrand factor gene (vWF) intron II sequences. Mol. Phylogenet. & Evol., (in press)

Army
right: me (middle) after going through the British Army's combat assault obstacle course...
Grad School
Research (a.k.a., that which creationists do not understand)
some of the things I looked at in my doctoral research:
- generic and species relationships within the cercopithecidae
- generic and species relationships within the hominidae
- phylogeny of Primates
techniques/programs used:
DNA extraction
PCR
DNA sequencing (manual and automated)
PHYLIP 3.5
PAUP 3.1, 4.0
XESEE
ClustalX (a little)
OLIGO (a little)
The picture shows a phylogenetic tree generated using noncoding DNA sequences (min. 2 kb per species; average of 6.5 kb per species)
in PAUP (both Maximum likelihood and maximum parsimony). Numbers above lines represent the Bootstrap percentages out of 2000 replications that that particular node was supported. Numbers below lines represent the number of synapomorphies that would need to be changed to alter the grouping.
The names used represent those suggested in the "Towards.." and OWM papers above - an altered taxonomic ranking scheme based on the outcomes of my (and others') research.
My interests:
evolution
primatology
creationism (I deign not to refer to it as 'creation science', for there is very little science behind it...)
Right: me at work in the lab, 2nd year of grad school...
Favorite Links

old pics
a few from my army archives....

more pics

This page has been visited times.