This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Award stuff

Ran
User ID: 0283314
Aug 18th 12:54 PM
Not sure if anyone's noticed, but I figured I'd note that in the final ballot for the World Fantasy Awards, Mr. Martin is yet again riding high. "The Hedge Knight" is among the finalists for Best Novella.

Also, _Legends_ is in it for Best Anthology. _Clash of Kings_ is not in it for Best Novel ... but the WFA tends to be weird in some choices (can't fault _Sailing to Sarantium_ being on the ballot though.)

I think this is oldish news, but ... whatever. :)
Min
User ID: 9433023
Aug 18th 1:02 PM
no, it is not... thanks,Ran :-)
Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Aug 19th 12:41 PM
Just to complete the picture with something everyone likely already knows, ACOK also won the Locus award for best novel.
Padraig
User ID: 0714654
Aug 19th 1:52 PM
And Legends won Best Anthology.
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Aug 19th 2:09 PM
Thanks, everyone. I was unaware of that information.
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Aug 24th 11:10 AM
Let me add my thanks to Gary's. I'm always the last to get to know something, generally. So I'm depending on you guys to spoonfeed me. :o)
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Aug 25th 11:54 AM
Me too. Only make it a real big spoon.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Feb 2nd 2:22 PM
A bit more of award stuff:

Some (or all) of you may be aware that _A Clash of Kings_ has made the preliminary ballot for the SFWA's prestigious Nebula Award for Best Novel. There's about 30 books total on it, a lot of SF, a bit of fantasy.

More recently, _A Clash of Kings_ has made a smashing victory in SF Site's (www.sfsite.com) Reader's Choice list for Best Books of 1999. As they report, it took the lead early and was untouchable.

You can find the actual list here:

http://www.sfsite.com/columns/best00b.htm

I'm really very surprised. I love the book and certainly think it deserves the place, but I'm really wowed to see how many fans there are out there. _Cryptonomicon_ is a major favorite on the Internet, given Stephenson's repute and the subject matter, but it wasn't even close to touching ACoK apparently.

Very cool. :)

I've mailed GRRM about it, and I'm going about contacting some of the site maintainers to be sure they're aware of it.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Feb 2nd 2:45 PM
Great info, Ran. Thanks. Perhaps the world is finally beginning to stand up and take notice of quality, mature fantasy offerings.
Padraig
User ID: 9279843
Feb 4th 1:15 PM
Well that is very nice. I suppose there is not much chance that aCoK will get actually short-listed for the Nebula's. AFAICT its very much a science fiction award. Still great news.
Ran
Feb 4th 1:39 PM
Yeah. No real shot, especially given some of the competition. Especially given Vernor Vinge's _A Deepness in the Sky_ being on the list, since I expect it to win.

On the other hand, beyond Vinge, only two or three of the names are known to me and seem likely to make it. But I've not followed SF lately.
Ran
Mar 1st 11:34 AM
Something new:

He did indeed make the final ballot for best novel! I'm really surprised myself, but it just goes to show how well GRRM and _A Clash of Kings_ is appreciated. Not just by fans, but by the SFWA pros.

Very cool. :)
Padraig
User ID: 9433023
Mar 1st 2:36 PM
Wow. I would like to say I had every confidence in aCoK but i'm really surprised.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Mar 1st 2:46 PM
All right...I'm not into this award stuff. How prized should a Nebula be?
Is it the Oscar of Sci-Fi/Fantasy literature?
Ran
Mar 1st 3:03 PM
The Nebula is highly prized, though perhaps not quite so much as the Hugo as far as popular appeal runs because:

The Hugo is voted by the fans and given out at the annual WorldCon conventions. It's a pretty big deal and quite popular.

The Nebula, on the other hand, is given out by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (the acronym SFWA remains, as 'Fantasy' is a later addition to the title I believe.) This is made up out of the "working" writers (to be a member one has to have sold a certain number of SF&F stories -- three I think -- inside of a certain timeframe) and so is very much a peer award.

Both are quite coveted and are regularly touted on re-issues of books, showing they have a demonstratable effect on sales.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Apr 2nd 11:24 AM
I hope he'll win.
From the list, I only knew Octavia Butler. And I haven't read the book. However, I did buy Darwinia which was on the list, and I'll buy the winner as well.

�ts incredible how many great science fiction books I haven't read - Whenever I go through the Nebulas or Hugos, I couldn't have read more then a third of the winners. Although there are years when I read a big chunk - I've red most of the mid 80s winners, but that's because the winners were Ender's Game, speaker of the dead(both by Orson Scott Card) Foundations'Edge( by Asimov) - in both cases authors I know and love, and a book by David Brin I couldn't finish( Startide Rising or something).

But outside the SF/F field, its even more emberassing. There was a period in which I read lots of Stephen King, so I know a couple of the World Fantasy award winners
-how come World Fantasy, btw, is allways given to American Horror authors?
-and how come Stephen King keeps winning? he's good, but he's very far from being THAT good!
but like in the Bookers awards, for example, if I even know the name of the author, let alone read anything by her, its strange.

But overall, 'from the little experience I've had with the Booker winners, the Bookers really isn't a good recommendation list. Still to the Nebulas and Hugos, fellas:-)