This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / U.S. CoK Paperback Release

Next 20 Messages
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jan 6th 11:40 AM
Martin recently mailed various folk with some news about what's going on with SoS and other ASoIaF things. It's a long mail so I'll only summarize it. If one goes to www.westeros.org, one will find a link on the splash page talking about important news which will go directly to the mail (now Mail #62 on the So Spake Martin collection.)

Essentially: CoK is still selling strongly in the U.S. in hardback, so the publishers have pushed the paperback release in the U.S. to September. Martin suggests that anyone desperate should look into ordering the paperback from the British publisher, which has been out since around October (IIRC.)

IMPORTANT BIT

He's still working on SoS, but considers himself on the home stretch and should have it turned in soon. The publishers are gearing up to recieve it. HOWEVER, he asks that folk stop mailing him with questions about how he's doing with the book. A lot of people are doing it, and he's swamped with similar e-mails, and he hasn't time right now to get to them (he puts it less bluntly than I).

So, hold off on questions 'till we hear that he's done (I suspect we'll be among the first to hear the news.)

END IMPORTANT BIT

Of other interest, the artists for the U.K. and U.S. covers have begun work. He's told that Jim Burns (U.K.) will depict a swordfight (ooooh) and that Steven Youll (U.S.) will be showing a funeral (ooooooh....)

He also talks about touring and other appearances. :)

Again, you can find the mail at the So Spake Martin collection (www.westeros.org/Heraldry/SoSpakeMartin.html) or just go to the link on the splash spage (www.westeros.org) and it'll take you directly to the mail.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 9844073
Jan 6th 1:01 PM
Thanks for the info Ran!

I'm happy to get some info. Looks like he'll be making a number of appearances this year. Which is good (European fans are probably very exited). The US Paberback being bumped back to September makes me think that SoS might not come out in the States before then. Amazon.uk.co says July, though. I wonder if it will come out in the UK again first.

Ahh, the waiting is hard.
Kristin
User ID: 0603144
Jan 6th 2:13 PM
If it comes out in the UK first again, I'll just have to order it from Amazon.uk.co again. I'm soon to be an ex-bookstore person, so there won't be a chance of me getting my hands on an advance copy. :(
Ser Gary
User ID: 9328513
Jan 7th 7:15 AM
Kristin, did we suggest you leave the bookstore job for greener pastures? Uh, maybe we were a bit hasty with our suggestions...

:)
Alex
User ID: 0296604
Jan 7th 11:35 AM
What is better then working in a bookstore? Right - to own a bookstore!
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jan 7th 8:30 PM
How exciting about the covers! Does anyone think that the sword fight will lead to the funeral? You know, kind of one main death, like Ned. If so, who do you think will be fightin' and who do you think will be dyin'?
Padraig
User ID: 0812164
Jan 8th 10:03 AM
We're hardly going to see the dead person on the cover I suppose. But we should be able to make a good guess from the people that do appear on the cover. Have to imagine that someone is going to die early on then. Very interesting.

The easiest choice for death would be Hoster Tully. Who's fighting is very difficult. Jaime and Robb?
Ran
Jan 8th 10:56 AM
I've a person feeling that it's the Hound and ... well, somebody. Could it be Gregor? I wouldn't really know. Or maybe it'd be Beric/Thoros against Gregor... hrm.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jan 8th 11:28 AM
Well, I had a very loony idea that if Catelyn falls into the hands of Lannister/Tyrell alliance, the Tyrells might accuse her of murdering Renly and want her executed. As there is a rather compelling evidence for the case - namely Brienne and Cat being the only people with Renly when he died and Brienne entering Cat's service afterwards, trial of combat would be Cat's only chance of survival. Nice symmetry, too.

Thus, IMHO one of the (sword)fighters is Loras Tyrell and the other is Cat's champion, i.e. either Brienne, or (gasp!) Jaime.
Kristin
Jan 8th 12:06 PM
Considering that the dark-haired, olive-skinned guy wearing the crown of the North on the cover of CoK is supposed to be Robb, are we really going to be able to tell who the people on the cover are? :)
Padraig
User ID: 0359544
Jan 9th 11:13 AM
True Kristin. We should see the covers somewhere before the books actually go on sale so I suppose it only matters if we find out before that happens. How this happened the last time will tell a lot.

It is strange the choice of events on the cover. The previous covers said very little about what happens in the story. But fights and funerals� Interesting. I�m beginning to seriously doubt my Robb v Jaime idea. Says too much on what is going to happen. Except if GRRM refuses to reveal the particapants. And we�re left to guess.

Ser Gary
Jan 10th 2:04 PM
While I can certainly understand the (business) reasoning behind pushing the U.S. paperback release of ACOK into September, I cannot help but feel somewhat disappointed. Especially since the decision seemed to come at the eleventh hour. As a bonafide fan and proponent of the series, for several months now I have been telling my (poorer) friends that ACOK will be out in paperback in January. The flip side of this particular business decision has therefore become one of credibility: my own and the publishers of this fine series.
Ran
Jan 10th 2:18 PM
You know, there's a little trick to getting the U.K. paperback cheaply. Go to www.alphabetstreet.co.uk, get an account, do five short (400 character) reviews of five books.

When those five are approved, you get a 5 pound rebate. Go order CoK, and you'll find that you're paying about 4.15 pounds (about $6.50) for the book -- that's counting shipping and handling.

In other words, you're paying less than for the American paperback at a bookstore.

It's a little bit of a hassle and takes a little work, but 2000 characters in total reviews is not difficult.
Ser Gary
Jan 10th 3:20 PM
That's interesting, Ran. My compliments again on your vast and varied knowledge. If I ever end up on the American TV show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?", please honor me by serving as my "Phone a Friend" lifeline :) Really, you're incredible.

To be honest, I was just spouting off a bit to see what others thought about the delay.
Ran
Jan 10th 3:29 PM
Well, if they allow international calls... ;)
Kristin
Jan 11th 3:02 PM
I'm sad about the delay, because I've been telling my customers that I was hoping to see the paperback in January/February. Oops. I also made another coworker read Game of Thrones, and now he's hooked and will have to buy the hardcover!
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jan 11th 3:26 PM
Ran;

Did Martin ask for _all_ mail questions to be stopped, or only those who mentioned the progress of aSoS? I've worked up quite a few questions during X-mas...
Ran
Jan 11th 3:36 PM
He doesn't mind questions, just those that have to do with the progress. However, I think one should expect no real response from him until the MS is sent off.

I'm holding off on all questions for a bit, probably until after he announces that the MS is done and has been shipped to the publishers.
labor
User ID: 9614573
Jan 11th 4:02 PM
KAH, Ran why don't we meanwhile discuss the questions we came up with (I have questions enough for months and months <grin>)? It might prevent doubling, etc...
Ran
Jan 11th 4:20 PM
Well, lets see. Linda keeps a nice list for me for questions:

When did Roose give his bastard the ring, and was a signet?

The Gold Cloaks -- were they such in the Targaryen period? (Got several historical things)

Tyrion's age?

The *** houses (following your comment about wondering which of the houses in the heraldry listing were knights and which were lords)

Coinage, particularly stags (as in, were stags original coinage or is it a new coin introduced under the Baratheon reign?)

Squire Dalbridge (the member of the Night's Watch who squired for a king) -- Which king and what happened?

What became of Summerhall after the Targaryens were deposed?

Religion of the Valyrians at the time of the Doom? Brought about mainly because the survivors who made it to Dragonstone bowed to the Seven of the Faith, but we know of the 'old gods of Valyria'.)

And finally, did anyone suggest to Ned (in Tyrion's presence) of a merciful death for Bran when he was still comatose? This one is in the back of the queue, of course, since it's something that I don't expect Martin would answer. It's obviously cover for, 'Did Robert express the idea that Bran should be killed out of mercy?' ;)
Next 20 Messages