This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Board Problems

Next 20 Messages
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jan 30th 7:02 AM
The problem with recent board errors seem to be worse than I expected. Deleting low-volume, unused threads doesn't seem to help. The error, which seems to be a problem with the CGI scripts, causes posts to be cut off or to show no text at all, but still "count" as a post without actually changing the post counter.

It seems, in part, to be linked with post size. It also seems to be linked to thread creation. I've taken the measure of contacting Echelon and seeing if they can do anything about it.
Lirvon
User ID: 0903294
Jan 30th 8:28 PM
I am new to this particular board, having found it by looking for communities/information/etc about GRRM and ASOIAF.

Anyway - to the reason I decided to make a post:
I have used Echelon boards before, and I have seen the problem any posts in a particular thread being blank after a certain point, as you have just described, before...

I have no idea what causes it, but I have doubts that it has anything to do with the size of posts or the number of threads, as I have seen some very large posts before that havn't caused any problems, and when a board is full the bottom thread disappears when a new one is created...

Whatever causes it, in my experience when a thread becomes 'broken' there is nothing that can be done to fix it to allow for further postings, and the easiest solution to simply to create a new thread...

(Not being able to make further posts on a thread is actually not the worst problem that I have seen. Once when I deleted an individual post on a thread, every single post on that thread lost its contents. That only happened the once, though...)

Anyway - I hope that helps...
Revanshe
User ID: 7461463
Feb 9th 7:57 PM
Well, Im sure you all have noticed that the board wasnt working for awhile.

Its working again, but they lost lots of info, such as board colors and settings, and even forum names. They say they did not loose any messages, but I dont know...

Ive been really busy lately, so it will take me awhile to completely set things aright. I have already put back forum names. Since I havent posted in awhile, I may have gotten one or two wrong. If so, please tell me. (or email me at [email protected])

For some reason, it seems that there are now two 'Other Topics' boards. Oh well, since Eesite doesnt really offer merging capabilities, I'll just keep both.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a new look? Keep in mind I cant make this board into dragonsworn or dragonstone. However, if you guys have suggestions for colors, now is the time to let me know :D!
Swithin
User ID: 0289604
Feb 9th 8:40 PM
Dearest Revanshe,

I think that I have never actually been in contact with you. I don't know if you read all the posts here, but if you do you must know just how much this board means to all of us... Thank you. It's been great, it heavied my heart last night to check the board and get an error message...

As for colours, suggestions, etc., the white on blue text format is definitely easier on the eyes. Even if you want to spiff up the board, having the text scheme back should be a priority (simply because this black on white is giving me eyestrain, and makes it less comfortable to participate.)

Take care,
Dion
Dirjj
User ID: 1954724
Feb 9th 11:48 PM
Yup, I was happy the way it was. This temporary look is strange to me. I feel like I'm a guest here, when this is supposed to be home. Exactly when did we take that wrong turn into the twilight zone.

ab
Min
User ID: 0074284
Feb 10th 0:49 AM
Indeed. I want my black background back!!! Pleeeaaase!
Oh, the second Other Topics is what used to be A Song Of Ice and Fire, I suppose.
Hm, apart from this, everyone seems to be fine. Except the look, of course. It's freezing. *whine*
Min
Feb 10th 0:50 AM
Jeez, I shouldn't be whining. We could have lost all the messages, and we didn't...
Dirjj
User ID: 1954724
Feb 10th 1:08 AM
Tell me about it. I was having withdrawals so badly that I even posted on the City of Raven's Messageboard for a quick fix.

ab
Min
Feb 10th 3:30 AM
Oh Dirjj, that is horrible! ;-)
No, I didn't post anywhere else. I tried other boards, but I never can get myself to post there regularly. Mostly because of the non-black background. :-)
Ser Benjen
User ID: 9844073
Feb 10th 6:21 AM
It was pretty scary for awhile there. I guess I prefer the old colors too. Even though we are working on the Stark colors now.

I didn't really realize how often I come check this board until it wasn't available. It felt like something was missing from my day.
Min
Feb 10th 7:22 AM
Like the pub where you meet your friends each day after work was burned down...
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Feb 10th 9:35 AM
I'll echo those who want back the original colors.
Let's hear it for traditions!
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Feb 10th 9:40 AM
...but our board is like the Phoenix, Min :) It will continue to rise from the ashes. We won't allow it to die.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Feb 10th 11:00 AM
Can't say that I dislike the board in "all colors of truth" according to Ned. It is a bit lonely without links and such.
Padraig
User ID: 0993624
Feb 10th 12:27 PM
Aw, its back.

I see the Others left their mark though.
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Feb 10th 12:45 PM
Back to the old colors is okay by me.

I was quite shocked to get the error message yesterday as well. I really thought the "Others" had eaten the whole thing. Thank god they were satisfied with the colors.
Emily
User ID: 2192024
Feb 10th 12:55 PM
*Hugs everyone*

I'm so glad you're all alive!!!

Er...yes...I realise that you'd all THEORETICALLY be alive even if the Board self-destructed, but the most important part of you, i.e. your messages, would have been no more. I know I've been disgracefully neglecting the bb recently (I'm saving myself for ASOS. Or something.) but I'd be utterly desolate if the Others ever got it.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Feb 10th 2:13 PM
I'm surprised to realize that the most important part of me consists of letters on a screen.

Silly me thought it was my peni...errr, my brain.
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Feb 10th 9:27 PM
Yes, I too have been shamefully neglecting the board, but I did not want it to die from inattention! Whatever would I do?

White on black would be so nice. Please, can we have it back? It was like looking into the depths of a starry, starry night :-)
Revanshe
User ID: 2630464
Feb 11th 11:26 AM
Whoa!! I did not expect such support for the 'old look'. Well, if thats what you all want, thats what you guys will get :D!!

(Keep in mind things may look weird for a bit, since I dont remeber all the EXACT settings that were there before.)
Next 20 Messages