This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Dragonsworn Board II

Ran
User ID: 0867924
Feb 18th 2:14 PM
Welp, unfortunately, it's a no go from my end to set up another UBB board. After testing things and doing some last research, the thing would be far too much of a drain on resources.

It really takes a completely dedicated server to run the UBB if you want any sort of speed even in the face of high traffic, and the one we're using hosts some other things. The bigger the board, the slower the process of reading and posting goes, requiring very regular archiving (and, currently, the archive system the UBB has fails to actually save hard drive space to any degree.)

Luke Feb 19th 9:40 AM
Well that sucks. At least it sounds like it does. I do appreciate the effort of trying to set up a new board, Ran. Either way, I remain optimistic that at some point in the far, far future dragonsworn will start back up again. Untill then, I'm not to upset. To be honest I think I've talked the first to books into the ground, and untill I get some new material I think I'll withdraw from this board(As if I posted before now anyway).
Tom R.
User ID: 3647314
Feb 19th 6:32 PM
That's disappointing news, Ran, but I sure do appreciate your trying anyway. Dragonsworn's UBB board software and structure was very nice and, I thought, a lot more user friendly (i.e., more bells and whistles) than here. I wonder if maybe there isn't an alternative to the idea of using your server -- perhaps by providing a link from your site to another server, one better equipped to handle UBB software/archiving.

Hmmm... I gotta think about that one a while. Technology questions always make my head spin. I guess I'd like to find out some time, from you or perhaps directly from UBB, what kind of server it would require to resurrect "Dragonsworn" in all its glory.

More about this later... but thanks again for all of your efforts.
Tom R.
Mar 3rd 3:28 PM
FOr those of you who care what is happening over at Dragonsworn, I noticed that they recently updated their site (www.dragonsworn.com) with this message:

(02.25.00)
finally added some updates. more in the pipeline. for all of you concerned about message boards, we have some more bad news. our script server is down indefinitely, and we have no contact with the siteop. so we're still looking for a home. for all of you who've emailed fiction, please be patient, it's being reviewed as we speak. more on monday, until then... happy february, and go see Pitch Black... it's pretty good.

_______

Not a terribly encouraging notice, I would say...
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Mar 3rd 3:34 PM
Is this place supposed to be Pitch Black?
Ser Benjen
User ID: 0240854
Mar 4th 3:56 PM
Nope. Pitch Black is a movie. Looks pretty good.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1502094
Mar 5th 8:33 AM
Alright then. Might this be Pitch Black II?
Emilie L.
User ID: 7030113
Apr 30th 7:37 PM
I'm glad to see there are people who miss the Dragonsworn board! It was a nice little community...
everyone here is nice, too, but there is way too much here to read everything.

~Emilie
Tom R.
Jun 4th 6:17 AM
It's baaaa-aaack, I think. I just got this e-mail message from the Dragonsworn folk:

We're pleased to inform you that the DragonSworn Message Boards (Inspiration) are now back up. We cannot begin to apologize for their lenghty absence, but our staff has learned a valuable lesson about who to trust. This time around, the site is hosted on our scripts server, by none
other than our Internet Director. We can assure all members this time the board has a permanent home, as if our scripts server ever goes down, you can be assured DragonSworn has ceased to exist. This will be the self-same server the Legendary Guide will be launched from, one of the mainstay's of our organization. We understand many of you are bitter over the last fiasco, and can only assure you events of the past will not be repeated.

We understand it is difficult to start over, as member profiles and message histories have been lost due to our falling out with the folks at
blabmaster. Still, we believe this time around will be even better, and we invite you to rejoin us for another spin around the block. Any past senior members can simply email [email protected] to regain their status, as we remember all of you fondly.

The new message boards can be accessed at http://dragonsworn.cytherianage.net/ cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi or from the 'forums' button on any page of our sites. [NOTE FROM TOM R.: delete the space after "net/"]

Finally, we are not able to contact all of our previous members, as all members data is inaccessible to us. If you're receiving this, it is only because you emailed us concerning the message boards in the past. Should you be able to forward this email to any previous member, we would be extremely grateful.

Once again, we hasten to assure all members that this time our boards have found a stable home, and will continue to operate in the long term. We look
forward to seeing you all again.

Thank you for your time and consideration. DragonSworn Staff
Tom R.
Jun 4th 6:37 AM
The Dragonsworn board looks great--and it's here just in time for ASOS. I've tried registering on it, but I haven't gotten my password back from them (via e-mail) and, since you can't post until you register and get a password, I'm not sure what gives here. But I'll try back a while later. It'll be great to show a "real" smiley face again ... :)