This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Any new news on next book

Tom
User ID: 9474683
Apr 2nd 10:09 PM
Ok I have read the two books and want the next one, will jon die, will Rob be come king. Will Brian every fly come on George let us know the lag is killing me. PLease Please Please let me know or let me know how to find out thanks
Padraig
User ID: 0993624
Apr 3rd 3:22 PM
Tom, while the original arrival time was supposed to be July it looks like August will be the earliest time we will see the book. And it could be as late as November.
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Apr 4th 2:16 AM
I think you want to know if Robb will die or Jon become king, Tom. Just saying.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Apr 6th 6:41 AM
I just posted this on the CoK II board as well, but as an FYI...

It looks like Martin might have finally finished SoS! I got an E-mail from Meisha Merlin about the limited editions of aSoIaF and there was an interesting tidbit.

"Now that George is finished with the third volume for Bantam, he and I are working out the last minute details on the book. We are still set for an August/September publication date for 'A Game of Thrones'."
labor
User ID: 0798784
Apr 6th 9:08 AM
Not that I wouldn't rejoice if you were right, but isn't starnge that GRRM didn't email Ran or Revanshe or posted it on the "Legends" board? IIRC he promised to let the fans know as soon as he finishes...
Ser Benjen
Apr 6th 9:52 AM
True, it is second hand info, and therefore could be classified as rumor. Hence the "It looks like Martin might... beginning of the message.

The e-mail I received was from Stephen Pagel, from Meisha Merlin. How far into "the know" he is or is not is beyond me. I just figured he'd be more privy to that info than fans would be, because he has pressing business w/ GRRM.

I guess I have to apologize, I just get exited easily when it comes to news from "the front".
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 6th 10:12 AM
I suppose Martin might not mail until he's actually shipped the MS in, or the editors have confirmed receipt of the MS. If he's not quite sent it in, it might be that he's giving it a brief once-over before going on.

Certainly, the change in what Mr. Pagel has said seems significant. Previously it was reported by him that GRRM was a couple of weeks away from finishing and that then they'd be discussing last minute details. Now he says that they're going over the last minute details. A clear enough progression, I suppose.

We'll see. I expect we'll get word directly from GRRM soon. :)
Padraig
User ID: 9697893
Apr 6th 2:38 PM
Well I also got a mail from Meisha Merlin today and I could have sworn he said that GRRM was _almost_ finished aSoS. Had very similar content to Ser Benjen's but if he quoted word for word then it is not the same mail since i'm pretty sure it was phrased differently.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Apr 6th 2:45 PM
I just noticed that I recieved the same mail as Ser Benjen earlier in the morning, but had only skimmed it briefly and didn't catch the change.

My copy, at least, is one intended for people who've inquired about the limited editions but haven't yet made a committment to purchase. i.e., it's a form letter.
Padraig
User ID: 9697893
Apr 6th 3:23 PM
Mine was the "You have ordered one of our lettered edition" letters so it was different in that respect at least. Unfortunately I too didn't spend too much time reading it but I can't believe I would have missed it saying something like GRRM has finished aSoS. Although I leave open the possibility.
Ser Benjen
Apr 7th 8:58 AM
That's the same one I got, Ran.

Here's the entire message:

You are receiving this e-mail because Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc. records show that you sent us a request for information sometime over the past six months about our George R. R. Martin limited edition of 'A Game of Thrones' that Jeff Jones is doing the cover and interior illustrations for. Our records also show that as of this date you have not placed an order for either the lettered or numbered edition.

This e-mail is to let you know that we are almost sold out of the lettered edition and have sold a significant number of the numbered editions due to our recent ad in 'Realms of Fantasy'. Starting next month we have ads appearing in 'The Fandom Directory', 'Locus', 'TaleBones' and the final issue of 'SF Age'.

If you are considering getting a copy of the limited edition now would be the best time to do so before the other ads hit the stands. Now that George is finished with the third volume for Bantam, he and I are working out the last minute details on the book. We are still set for an August/September publication date for 'A Game of Thrones'.

You can order by visiting our new secure web site at:

http://www.MeishaMerlin.com

(If you have any problems with our new site please e-mail me with the problem, internet provider you are using, and the server you are on.)

Or by fax 404-634-6697, phone 404-634-1702, e-mail, or by regular mail to:

Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc.
P. O. Box 7
Decatur, GA 30031

Again it is $350.00 for the lettered edition--$200.00 deposit or $250.00 for the numbered edition--$125.00 deposit, to hold your order.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me, usually by e-mail is best.

Meisha Merlin has a second e-mail address. Slowly we will be moving all our e-mail to this address. Please use it in the future if you wish to contact us. The usa.net address will still be looked at on a daily basis. We are beginning to get so much mail that we are going over their maximum requirements. New e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Through our web site we will be creating a series of e-mail addresses so that you can reach the party you need directly instead of having to have it filtered through one address/person.

Later,
Stephen Pagel
Apr 10th 1:25 PM
Finally remembered this mail. So now everyone else can be as confused as me with regards the situation of aSoS. Without further ado the mail I got...

Dear George R. R. Martin fan,

You are receiving this e-mail because Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc.
records show that you have bought at least one copy of either the
lettered or numbered edition of George R. R. Martin's 'A Game of
Thrones' that Jeff Jones is doing the cover and interior illustrations
for.

This e-mail is to let you know that we are almost sold out of the
lettered edition and have sold a significant number of the numbered
editions due to our recent ad in 'Realms of Fantasy'. Starting next
month we have ads appearing in 'The Fandom Directory', 'TaleBones' and
the final issue of 'SF Age'.

I am sorry that I have not had more communication with you about the
limited edition. Things here at Meisha Merlin are going quite well and
keeping me very busy! Until recently Meisha Merlin was still a one
person operation, except for the cover designs and layout and the web
site designing. I now have a part timer to help with the work so I can
have more time for communication with our customers.

Now that George is almost finished with the third volume for Bantam, he
and I are beginning to work out the last minute details on the book. We
are going over different paper stocks and weaves and looking at the many
different types of cloth coverings for the book, as George wants to do
each title in a different color to match the different seasons that the
series takes place in. We will be going over the type and size of the
font, plus the size of the margins. Bantam has supplied 'A Game of
Thrones' to us on disc and I will be starting the layout over the next
couple of weeks.

Jeff Jones is a bit behind on the color cover and interior B&W
illustrations. Jeff married his fianc� of the past ten years over New
Year's Eve last December and they went on their honeymoon in early
January. Jeff caught that flu that was going around and was in bed for
almost two weeks recuperating in February. Jeff is turning in the fourth
and final color piece next week and will be turning in a set of the
interior B&W's every couple of weeks over the next several months.

Currently we are still set for an August/September publication date for
'A Game of Thrones'. I will have the layout done and off to the
proofreader and then work with George on placement of the interior
illustrations as they come in.

As soon as we can we will put up one more of the color pieces on our web
site and as the interior B&W illustrations come in we will put a few of
those up for you to see also. If you have not been to our new secure
web site or have not marked it in your favorites, please do. We will NOT
be updating the old Angelfire site on a timely basis, as we just do not
have enough time to keep two sites up and running. Meisha Merlin's new
secure site is:

http://www.MeishaMerlin.com

If you have any problems with our new site please e-mail me with the
problem, the internet provider you are using, and the server you are on.

Also Meisha Merlin has a second e-mail address. Slowly we will be moving
all our e-mail to this address. Please use it in the future if you wish
to contact us. The usa.net address will still be looked at on a daily
basis. We are beginning to get so much mail that we are going over their
maximum requirements. New e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Through our web site we will be creating a series of e-mail addresses so
that you can reach the party you need directly instead of having to have
it filtered through one address/person.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me, usually by
e-mail is best. If you are thinking of ordering additional copies of 'A
Game of Thrones' now would be the time to do so, before our new set of
ads hit.

Please e-mail me with any changes to your e-mail or shipping addresses
so Meisha Merlin can keep its files current.

Later,
Stephen Pagel
Jeffrey's Ass
User ID: 1878484
Apr 14th 11:56 AM
Hello, I just E-mailed George to ask him if he was finished. As of today, April 14, 9:53am -- he said "Just about finished."

Padraig
User ID: 1487914
Apr 14th 3:05 PM
Just about. Hmm. I don't know whether I should dance with joy of wail with angush.