This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / New Editions of ASOIAF

Back 20 Messages
Revanshe
User ID: 1404584
Nov 20th 2:57 PM
Martins' email:
(some stuff cut)

I wanted to pass along some exciting news about A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

Meisha Merlin Press of Atlanta, Georgia has obtained the rights from Bantam
to do a new edition of the novels -- a deluxe limited edition in slipcase,
signed, numbered, and illustrated. Each volume will have a wrap around cover
and three interior color plates, and black and white artwork for each chapter.

I am thrilled to be able to say that the art for the new Meisha Merlin
editions will be done by Jeffrey Jones. I fell in love with Jeff Jones's
painting when I first saw his cover for Roger Zelazny's THE DOORS OF HIS
FACE, THE LAMPS OF HIS MOUTH thirty years ago, and he's gotten even better
over the decades. It's quite a thrill for me to have him illustrating my
work. Jeff is already at work on the paintings for A GAME OF THRONES.

Meisha Merlin will be issuing the books in two states: a gorgeous numbered
edition limited to 500 copies per volume, and a presentation edition
limited to 52 lettered copies that promises to be even more splendid. Jeff
Jones and I will be autographing both states.

Stephen Pagel of Meisha Merlin tells me it will be possible for readers to
subscribe to the entire run in advance so as to guarantee themselves the same
number or letter on each of the six volumes, and thus assemble a matching set.

Meisha Merlin will soon be issuing an "official" announcement about their
edition of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, which will include details of publication
dates, prices, and how to order....

Email from Stephen Pagel of Meisha Merlin Publishers: (Stuff cut also)

You can visit our current site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/MeishaMerlin
Jan 17th 9:56 PM
Hi everyone, some more information from Meisha Merlin regarding the limited editions of ASOIAF. Nothing earth-shattering, but I thought I'd pass it along anyways:
(1) Confirmations by mail will be sent at the end of the month (they hope) to those who have reserved lettered and numbered editions;
(2)The third color painting is in and should be on the Meisha Merlin webpage soon. None of the black and white illustrations have been passed on to the publisher yet.
(3)Most importantly! The book is starting to move in lettered and numbered formats - with almost zero advertising. I'll quote now from the email I received from Meisha-Merlin. "In the March issue of 'Realms of Fantasy' there will be a full color page ad for the limited. Might let anyone know who is interested that they will
probably start really moving then. We have done very good sales on them just by word of mouth. Once the collectors see this ad and a few other ads coming out they will start ordering them. Have had 2 collectors call who heard of it
by word of mouth and one took 4 and the other 6 copies." In other words, if you are on the edge of buying one of these - act now! If you think they are expensive now, wait until they pass through dealer mark-up after selling out.
(4) Finally, someone from Meisha Merlin visited our discussion board after receiving a tip from one of the faithful :). They suggest that anyone with a question emai them and then pass it onto the group.
My plan is follow pretty closely developments on this book and series and I shall pass on what I know, but of course others are welcome to pass on any info. they get. Later, Paul
Padraig
User ID: 9279843
Jan 18th 12:33 PM
Thanks again Paul. I am often slow off the mark but I was beginning to think that we should be getting confirmation of our orders by now.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jan 29th 3:00 PM
Just notice that Jeffrey Jones has completed the work in progress that's almost certainly one of the plates for the book. You can see it at:

http://www.ulster.net/~jonesart/gallery55.html

That's the cover and one of the plates (probably) on her site so far. Couldn't find any examples of art that suggest other plates, though.
Padraig
User ID: 0707654
Feb 24th 2:37 PM
What ever happened to...New Editions of aSoIaF. Anyone get sent their confirmations?
Ran
Feb 24th 2:44 PM
I'm still curious about when they intend to put up some of the plates and B&W illustrations. They've been updating their site regularly, even added on-line ordering (though the ASoIaF books are not on the list), but nothing new with Martin for about four months now.
Paul Halucha
User ID: 0324974
Feb 26th 10:40 PM
I got an email from Meisha-Merlin about a week back saying there have been no updates for two reasons. One, Jeff Jones has been taking longer then expected to produce some of the pieces. Two, Martin has been focused on finishing "A Storm of Swords" and had not yet given approval on the design of the book. I don't know though, why we haven't recieved confirmations yet. I had hoped we would get more regular updates but I guess they must be really busy. Paul
Ran
Feb 27th 8:12 AM
Thanks for the information, Paul. :)
Paul Halucha
Mar 11th 2:50 PM
Has anyone recieved their confirmation yet? My card was charged about 7 weeks ago but I still haven't received a confirmation. Thanks, Paul
Padraig
User ID: 9676623
Mar 12th 12:50 PM
Fraid not Paul. I got a catalogue from Meisha, I don't know for sure, a month back. Saw the ad in Realms of Fantasy. But no confirmation. I would expect to be one of the last anyway since i'm not in the U.S
Paul Halucha
Mar 16th 6:44 PM
Thought people might be interested in this excerpt from an email response I received from George today. Paul

Paul: In January I reserved a lettered copy of A Game of Thrones and am really excited about the book (I love collecting fine books almost as much
as reading them). In talking with Stephen Pagel I've learned that you are still deciding on how the book is to be bound. I wanted to register my vote (not that this is a democracy) for a fine leather binding such as was used on the limited edition of A Great and Secret Show or the lettered edition of Richard Bachman's The Regulators. Stephen had said you were tendingtowards a cloth binding - I like cloth but find that it does soil no matter how careful one is. Anyway, I'm sure the book will be beautiful -Jeff Jones cover art looks superb. >>
George: To tell the truth, I have been so busy trying to complete A STORM OF SWORDS that I haven't had time to give much thought to anything else, but I will take your views into account when it comes time to choose a binding. Leather
and cloth can both be nice, in my opinion. And yes, Jeff Jones work is fabulous. I have wanted to have him illustrate my stuff for decades. If you collect fine books, do be sure to get a copy of the Solomon Kane collection that came out last year, with art by Gary Gianni. (If you haven't
already.) A stunning book -- I hope my limiteds will look as good. eautiful design, and Gianni is obviously the reincarnation of N.C. Wyeth.
Thanks for writing. GRRM

Paul Halucha
User ID: 0352454
Apr 1st 11:02 PM
Hi everyone, some uptodate information on the limited. From an email from Meisha-Merlin. Later, Paul Halucha

"I will be sending out an e-mail update to everyone who has bought a copy of
THRONES on Wednesday or Thursday.

I have been talking to George and we are to talk in a couple of weeks when he
gets done with number three. Both he and I have the sample kits from the
printer to go through and create the book from.

Sales are good. The lettered are almost all gone and the numbered are selling
well. Have a few more ads going out and have sent final notice to about fifty
people who have reserved a copy, but not sent in the deposit yet."

Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Apr 2nd 4:54 AM
Thanks Paul. The most interesting part of your message was that there is a suggestion that in a couple of weeks GRRM will have finished with Book 3. That means 2 weeks right? Here's hoping.
Paul Halucha
User ID: 0352454
Apr 2nd 8:26 AM
Sounds like he is a couple of weeks away. This jives with what GRRM told me in an email. My guess is we're looking at a Fall release. Paul
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Apr 2nd 11:15 AM
Amazon.uk moved it to 17 June - do they know something we don't? they also added a 'back cover blurb' ( which I tried to ignore, but I did see a bit of) saying that Cersei's schemes seem to be failing and that Tyrion is wresteling for his life.

2 points
1. Could Cersei be the new POV character? It would seem very surprising, and GrrM loves surprises.
and
2. Fighting for his life - does it mean he'll be in bed all the book? sound scary...:-)
but somehow I don't think so.
Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Apr 2nd 11:25 AM
Omer, how do you know this? When I read what you said I was in amazon straight-away. Still says July 17. I really hope you haven't made a mistake. Since I couldn't find any mention of a back cover blurb maybe you haven't. Except if you meant the synopsis? And then doesn't unfettered mean without anyone restraining you?
Ran
Apr 2nd 11:56 AM
Amazon.uk does say July 17. It's wrong though, almost certainly -- that was the date that everyone had when GRRM was expecting to be turning in the book around the beginning of January. It's now April and he's still not done. So it definently looks like October-November, at least in the U.S. -- it's not unlikely, now, that the U.K. release will again be earlier than the U.S.

The backcover blurb thing is probably the Synopsis in the review section that one gets when one looks for SoS and checks out the hardback listing.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Apr 2nd 2:02 PM
I remembered reading somewhere that Martin had said that book three was going to be shorter than the previous two. Now, its apaarently going to be longer. That's great as far as I'm concerned -- I want there to be more to read when I finally get it.

For me, one difference between Mr. Martin and RJ is that I _want_ the WOT to end. If he finished it in one more book, I'd be thrilled. With Martin, I really don't care about the ending. It's the telling of the tale that I like so much. I would be gravely disappointed if he turned around and said he'd decided to stop at four books.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Apr 2nd 3:44 PM
Sorry, sorry, I made a mistake. Still, there blurb is new, and it sounds like back cover in contant.
Padraig
User ID: 9697893
Apr 6th 2:40 PM
Just want to add that I got a mail from Meisha Merlin today. I suppose everyone should have got one by now that has ordered a book. Haven't got it with me but I do remember that they expect a August/September release of the limited edition.
Back 20 Messages