This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / US Cover of A Storm of Swords

Alexaendra
User ID: 1509104
May 23rd 7:44 PM
Finally, amazon has put up a picture of A Storm of Swords and they set the publish date for October 2000. If you didn't know that, ya do now. =)

Here to inform~
Alexaendra
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
May 24th 7:44 AM
Thanks for the info, Alexaendra. October, huh? I can stand the wait if they don't keep bumping it back further and further. That sort of thing can get pretty frustrating.
Alexaendra
May 24th 8:27 PM
Well, it *is* frusterating! Luckily, I am sooo obsessed with this series, I am going to order it from amazon.co.uk! Or else, since I am moving overseas, I might stop over in London to pick it up in July!
Ser Gary
May 25th 7:19 AM
Alexaendra,
Are you wealthy? An idea just occurred to me. Why don't you order 50 or so of those U.K. editions and send one to each of us. I'll provide you with all of the names and addresses. If you wouldn't mind picking up the cost of the books and the shipping charges, I think we can continue to have some great discussions here starting in July. :)
Alexaendra
May 25th 4:41 PM
Sorry, Ser Gary. I'm not *that* wealthy! I wish I were, though. I don't know yet if I am moving for sure or just ordering it. I was planning on moving to Austria, but I might end up moving to Hawaii. (I'm odd, I know). =) I would only be able to pay for maybe, 5 extras. I'm only in high school! Well, it was a good idea!
Ser Gary
May 26th 7:51 AM
Alexaendra,
Perhaps if you didn't move at all, you'd have some extra money you could devote to the well-being of all of us :)

Obviously, I'm only joking with you. Austria or Hawaii, you come out a big winner. And both have internet access!!! So don't lose touch with us.

And if you can afford extras, purchase some AGOT paperbacks and give them to people who haven't read the series yet. They make great gifts, and the recipients will never forget you for it.
Alexaendra
May 27th 0:02 AM
I know you're only joking! I will spread the "Good News" to all I can. I have already purchased 3 books and given them to friends to reas, and they have bought *their* friends some! I think we all should order A Storm of Swords from England!
Ser Gary
May 30th 7:59 AM
Alexaendra,
You make a good point - aboit all of us getting the jump and ordering ASOS from England. Would you keep us informed about the details relating to its availability (when/cost/how best to order)?

Did you also notice that we're the only two people posting in this topic?
perdita
User ID: 6744053
May 30th 9:44 AM
Don�t worry, i am also lurking around
labor
User ID: 0798784
May 30th 9:59 AM
There was never any doubt in my mind that I'll buy the UK edition as soon as it comes out. I mean, it is supposed to come out 3!!! months before the US one.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
May 30th 10:12 AM
Seriously!!! I've had my order in since January.
Moreta
User ID: 0701364
May 30th 10:19 AM
I'm putting in my order sometime in June. I can't wait for ASOS to fall into my greedy grasping little hands. Seriously, what a God-awful ugly cover!
Ser Gary
May 30th 10:23 AM
Moreta,
June it is then. Hey, it's just a couple of days away!!! I find my own hands getting greedy and grasping too :)
Duraq
User ID: 9941493
May 31st 1:03 PM
I Just found out I will need to travel to London in July on Business, YEH!!!!! I can get the book while I am there.
Ser Gary
May 31st 3:18 PM
Duraq,
Are you wealthy?
MAD-ness
User ID: 3612744
May 31st 5:07 PM
Ok, some questions from an ignorant person.

Are there wacky tarifs or import laws involved in ordering a book from amazon uk delivered to america? Will shipping or the expense be REALLY out of hand? I don't mind paying somewhere around $50 total for the british version, but I think I can wait a couple extra months if it is a couple hundred dollars total.

Also, Martin is American, correct? His British publishing company is just less moronic than his American publisher, correct? Will the British version contain anything that will really bother an American reader? I can't think of what this would be, but maybe really horrid binding, weird formatting, strange fonts or print size, etc.

Also, anyone who gets british books very often, do you know a good place to check for availability, etc? I am a fan of Peter F Hamilton, a British sci-fi writer whose works take like 3 years to come out in the States. In fact, his obscure stuff doesn't seem to make it over here at all. :(
Ran
User ID: 0867924
May 31st 5:34 PM
No particular tarifs, MAD-ness. The book price + shipping price is all you'll pay.

As for the time discrepancy, the issue is that the British publishers are apparently driven to meet the deadline that they set many, many moons ago. I don't know if they roast editors alive if they miss the deadline, but sometimes I have to wonder . . . ;)

The difference between the books ... not all that much that I can say for certain, but maybe a bit that's a possibility. For a certainty, the books have slightly looser binding (which I don't mind -- easier for me to lay it down and browse through while working at the computer) but are not horrible. No weird formant, fonts, or print size.

However, the possible differences ... well, besides the aforementioned cover issues, if _A Clash of Kings_ (which was shipped out at about the same speed as _ASoS_ is being run through to press) is any example, we can expect these things:

The new map(s) that GRRM mentioned (something brand new -- really should ask GRRM about that one soon -- and further refinement/updates of the Westeros map) will not be included. _A Storm of Swords_ from the U.K. would then just have the previous edition of the large map and may or may not include the KL map.

Also, GRRM makes various little fiddles in further proofreading or some such, which he can do for the American edition but not for the U.K. So there may be minor textual differences (besides the obvious American vs. British spelling issue) between the two editions. I'll note, having both editions, that I have yet to spot a single one of these minor alterations, so they're probably few and indeed very minor.

As for availability . . . You can always try amazon.co.uk and check the titles you like. They have a pretty thorough selection.

www.bookshop.co.uk is also a personal favorite of ours (but my fiancee and I are in Sweden), and they seem to have an even wider catalog of books (at least SF/F.)

MAD-ness
User ID: 3612744
May 31st 7:02 PM
Thanks Ran, you rock. :)

I almost asked about the language difference between English and American English but I figured that since they were so similar no one would bother to convert the spellings and the other minor differences, as I can't remember seeing a British author who had their work converted to American English. Course, I don't particularly care, I find proper English to be entertaining. Statements in more rigid languages are even more entertaining. English, especially American English, is so "loose," contextual dependent, and generally lacking structure, that I find formal language to be incredibly funny and, at times, cool.

I will just order the British version and then buy the U.S. version, which I would probably do anyways even if they were almost identical. The extra maps and stuff will be nice and I can use the American version as my "common version" which I take on planes and loan out and read a dozen times. ;)

Thanks again.
ParrisMcB
User ID: 1216034
May 31st 8:44 PM
if you're considering buying a copy from the UK, please consider using

Andromeda Bookshop:andromedabook.co.uk

or James Thin Booksellers.

These are both great independent stores that support SF and fantasy all the time.

Yes, you can order from Amazon UK, and they will also ship it fast.

There are no tariffs for individuals ordering books from the UK. Yes, it might cost a bit more, given the higher rate of the pound and shipping, but I suspect this book will be discounted enough to make it only a little - maybe $10US - more expensive.

As far as "Englishing" a book and vice versa - it happens all the time - I've got UK and US versions of the Potter books and there are differences in the use of langauge as well as spellings.

The US publisher is not moronic - they just have different schedules for publishing and different pre-press schedules for selling the book to retailers etc. It's very complex and difficult to do simultaneous releases, but I suspect they will become more common in the future.

Parris