This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / update: ASoS UK release and NEW MAPS!

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Green Gerg
User ID: 0081374
Jun 1st 10:30 AM
RE: ASoS, I asked George "Do you think it'll be out in England in July?"

<<Yes. HarperCollins has been cracking the whip at me relentlessly, and pushing everything at an amazing pace. The typesetting's done, and I am just about finished with the galleys. Jim Burns finished the cover painting ages ago.

In fact, the British hardcover has a sales ranking of 132 on Amazon.UK the last time I looked, and it's still six weeks away from pubdate.

One interesting note -- we will have two different sets of maps this time. On GAME OF THRONES, Harper used the Bantam maps. With CLASH OF KINGS, however, Harper's pubdate was so much earlier than Bantam's that they didn't get the updates in time, so only Bantam had the new maps. To avoid that this time, Harper will be doing its own maps.

Both sets of maps will be based on my originals, of course, but different artists will be cleaning them up and re-rendering them for publication, so they should have a somewhat different look. There will be four maps: updated versions of the North and South, with new places and details added, and new ones of the Wall and environs, and a part of the eastern landmass.

As for my vacation... I'll be going to Westercon in Hawaii over 4th of July. I hope to be dug out from under my then.

GRRM>>
Cinis the Degenerate
User ID: 2149564
Jun 1st 10:35 AM
Cool! See how much better it is to live in the UK?

Cinis the Degenerate,
Who is for once glad to be UKish...
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jun 1st 10:42 AM
Absolutely F---ing Righteous!

Thanks for the info Greg!
Lodengarl
User ID: 1822634
Jun 1st 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info - that is great! I got my hardback copy on pre-order, so can't wait...it is not too far away either.
Green Gerg
User ID: 0081374
Jun 1st 11:47 AM
more from Senor Martin:

It =is= a partial map, though, and I fear that the Free Cities aren't on it. I will include them in a future volume, probably A DANCE WITH DRAGONS.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 1st 11:56 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the information Gerg. If you haven't forwarded it, it'd be very cool to have. ;)

I suspect the eastern landmass portion will be the one surrounding Asshai. Far enough away to explain how the Free Cities aren't on it.
Emily
User ID: 2192024
Jun 1st 12:14 PM
I'm so happy! I'm so happy! I'm so...OK...you get the picture.

Why on Earth will the Free Cities be in ADWD? *Looks expectant* Just WHO is going to be exiled there?
Markus
User ID: 8820133
Jun 1st 12:28 PM
Well, Arya seems to be the obvious candidate.

And perhaps Tyrion will also have to flee. I've this picture of him as a member of the Golden Company in ADwD.

It's also interesting that Dany seems to go eastwards in ASoS. I wonder if it's possible that she will invade from this direction.
Arend
User ID: 8590713
Jun 1st 12:36 PM
I wasn't sure until now if I was going to wait for the US edition or not. Well, this made up my mind -- I am going to push that sales raking up another notch.

So much can happen before we get to ADWD, I think I'll wait till I've read ASOS before even trying to make a guess.

I'd completely forgotten about the new maps in the US edition of ACOK, since I was in Europe when it came out there, so I just bought it in a store. When is the pb of ACOK coming out?
Ran
Jun 1st 12:38 PM
The U.K. paperback has been out for awhile and contains the new maps (using Bantam's.) The U.S. paperback will be out, I believe, in September. GRRM has said it'll contain an excerpt from ASoS, Sansa's first chapter where she has a meal with Margaery Tyrell and the Queen of Thorns.
Padraig
Jun 1st 4:03 PM
There is so much going on. And most of it good news. A July 17th release date is a bit awkward for me but who cares. I'll have to check whether the book comes out at exactly the same day in Ireland as in GB. The pressure is going to kill me;-)

What does sales rank mean btw?
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jun 1st 4:08 PM
It means that SoS was the 132nd top selling book on Amazon.co.uk when he looked.

I just looked and it was ranked #118.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jun 1st 4:21 PM
It would appear that we (as in rabid fans) finally got at GRRM. I mean, he repeatedly told us that no map of the Eastern continent will be forthcoming, but we continued to whine and cajole... et voil� ;).

New, more detailed maps of the familiar vistas will be fantastic, too. Now, if there were a few genealogies... Mustn't! Mustn't be greedy! ;).

BTW, Emily, I strongly suspect that someone's return to Westeros in ADwD will start on the Eastern continent. IMHO the most likely candidates will be Dany, Tyrion and Arya.
Ran
Jun 1st 4:26 PM
Hrm, it seems to take real-time updating of sales rank, since now it's at 103 (and 651 for the trade paperback.) Very nice.

I'm not sure if GRRM has actually bent the knee on the eastern continent thing. ;) I've got a feeling that it's a long way off before he ever gives us a map of the entire eastern continent, which is what he was addressing (IIRC) when someone asked him.
Markus
Jun 1st 4:36 PM
The sales rank at Amazon reflects only what was bought in the last 24 hours, though. This means also that there is a big fluctuation.

For example, some days ago ASoS was ranked 51, and two days later it wasn't anymore among the the TOP 1000.
Padraig
Jun 1st 5:12 PM
Where it ranks saleswise compared to other books. Almost what it says on the tin. Thanks!
MAD-ness
User ID: 3612744
Jun 1st 6:39 PM
I seem to remember on SSM an email where Martin said he would likely compile a full map of the East eventually, but it would be a while off because he would want to make it all kosher and flesh it out, etc.

Anyone else remember seeing some similar comment somewhere?
sluggo
User ID: 7253233
Jun 3rd 8:19 PM
how do you order from amazon uk. does anyone know the url?
Ran
Jun 3rd 9:01 PM
www.amazon.co.uk :)
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jun 3rd 9:22 PM
I had no idea our president was a fan of this series :-) (Greetings, Sluggo)
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages