This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Jun 3rd 12:57 PM
I think it important that we have an area set aside for new posters to introduce themselves to those of us who have been posting to the board for awhile.

Please feel free to say (or not say) whatever you want about yourself and we'll try our best to make you feel welcome. That's a promise!!!
Min
User ID: 9433023
Jun 3rd 3:08 PM
What a brilliant idea! I think with the amount of topic and threads, it must be hard for the newbies to find through it all. I think all new ones should be allowed to ask questions in this topic here, too. Even questions like "how does this-and-that work".
Welcome to the "youngsters" from me, too ;-)
Zelticgar
User ID: 9328513
Jun 8th 9:10 PM
Okay I'll go first. I read AGOT and could not put it down. It was equivilent to the 1st time I read the Shannarra series but i realized quickly that this book was so much more significant than anything else i have ever read (IE Feist, Asimov, Jordan, Etc...)
I am curious to whether or not there is a weekly chat session??? Also I would like to get my hands on any info On GRRM and his plans for AGOFAI. Email address, Alt sites...
Also does GRRM make personal appearances???
Ran
User ID: 0283314
Jun 9th 5:24 AM
Martin's done some interviews and chat sessions, and he's been a fairly regular contributor to the Legends board.

I've some links and the like at:

http://members.xoom.com/Nymeria/SoSpakeMartin.html

As to personal appearances, interestingly Mr. Martin just posted to the Legends board (www.tor.com/sites/legends) about signing and touring.

He does do quite a bit of touring, and recently he went to a convention in Kansas City. I believe during the summer he'll be spending three weeks in Australia, ending with the WorldCon there. That bit of information is at Revanshe's great site, which can be found by following one of these little A Song of Ice and Fire buttons down at the bottom. ;)

Min
Jun 10th 4:43 AM
Zeltic,
there are some other pages dedicated to Mr. Martin's work.

The one which provides most information is (in my opinion) Revanshes site. She created this message board, to. The URL is:
http://welcome.to/iceandfire

from there on, you will find links to other pages, too.

Mr. Martin's email address is [email protected]
But please, do not bother him with asking what is going to happen in the next books. He will not tell such things, that would be stupid, and people nagging at him could interrupt his friendlyness towards his fans...
Ramlo
User ID: 7664193
Jun 11th 8:49 PM
I'm also new to this site. I read both books in March and thought they were the best I had read in years and renewed my faith in the genre. I am really enjoying reading all of the theories proposed here and will visit often to catch up while waiting for the next book. My faovrite character seems to be whichever POV I'm reading at the moment. I love the depth and breadth of this series.
Ser Gary
User ID: 9279843
Jun 11th 9:00 PM
Welcome to the board, Ramlo! We're looking for some fresh ideas, so don't be afraid to express your opinions. Have fun with it!!!
Min
Jun 14th 5:03 PM
And Welcome from me, too!
Ser Cuttric
User ID: 0011434
Jun 15th 2:14 AM
Hi everyone!
I am new here though Ive posted a few things. When I first read AGOT I was amazed. I have been reading fantasy since ... forever, and this was jsut unbeleivable.
Friends and I used to just talk abou the series and then I discovered this board. It has opened me to many new ideas. Some of which I even agree with. All of which make me think or laugh.

Zeltigar raises an interesting question. is there a regular chat anywhere?

See you about.
Ser Cuttric
User ID: 0011434
Jun 15th 2:15 AM
OOPS...I just saw the weekly chat sessions page.
Min
Jun 15th 4:27 AM
Yes, there is this weekly chat session maintained on Revanshe's page (which is still, in my opinion, the best page concerning ASoIaF. I am not able to attend these sessions, as that would be 4am here in Germany. I am not sure if people still meet there - just go ahead and have a try.
And welcome, Ser Cuttric! :-)
Luke__
User ID: 9809413
Jun 15th 11:07 AM
I doubt people still show up. I had been to just abou all of them. After three weeks of nobody else showing up I just gave up. That shouldn't stop you from trying or anything, Cuttric.
Min
Jun 15th 9:17 PM
as I said, I would if the time would be a little more convenient. Luke and Cuttric, you could try together...
Zelticgar
User ID: 9328513
Jun 15th 10:22 PM
I have also tried to talk live and have had no luck. There is no one in the room when I showup. Anyone interested in setting a new time? Mondays thru Thursday 9pm thru 11pm are good for me. EST by the way (Sorry Min)
Min
Jun 16th 6:57 AM
No prob, Zeltic. I know I am a minority here :-)
Just move this discussion to the "weekly chat session" thread here, I think that others, who do not read this thread, may read it when it is posted there.

It is a good thing to try and revive the chat, though I wouldn't be able to be there... and who knows, perhaps I _will_ stay up 'til 4am one time or the other to talk to you ;-)
Moreta
User ID: 9565813
Jun 16th 4:05 PM
Hey hello everyone...I'm new...I discovered George R. R. Martin's incredible series last month. I have to admit that I only picked up the Game of Thrones because of Robert Jordan's comment. Ever since reading both books, I've been walking around in a daze. I have to talk to people who read this series because it is GREAT!! :)
Jeff
User ID: 0909594
Jun 16th 4:11 PM
Welcome Moreta! Feel free to jump in with any outrageous comments or theories no matter how ridiculous. Its my practice and I'm sticking to it.
Ser Gary
User ID: 9279843
Jun 16th 8:20 PM
I agree. It is Jeff's practice. Seriously, though, Moreta, welcome aboard. We can always use some fresh insights.
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Jun 18th 7:12 AM
I also would like to welcome all of the recent posters to the board. I've been around this board (and the dragonstone one) since, when? I don't know. Anywhoo.......glad to have some fresh ideas and some new voices on the board.
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Jun 18th 7:20 AM
Actually, Claidhaim, while you were out we named you Chairman of the Welcoming Committee. Congratulations. Your duties include sending gift baskets to all of the new posters. We don't really have a budget for this function, so you'll need to have a few fundraisers. You know, car washes, raffles, etc. With that in mind, we've also named your Chairman of the Fundraising Committee. Again, congratulations!!!
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages