This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Spoiler Policy

Next 20 Messages
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Jun 6th 3:54 PM
Are we gonna have a spoiler policy for ASOS? I for one won't be able to read it until mid/late August, so I would really be interested in one. I don't want any spoilers, but I would liek to continue and visit this web page.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Jun 6th 4:11 PM
Maybe Ran could just mark the A Storm of Swords II topic with a parenthetical "Spoiler" notation.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 6th 4:27 PM
Good call. I'm going to ask Revanshe to set it up, since I can't do it myself.

I'll say it now, to make it official:

When _A Storm of Swords_ comes out, any spoiler discussion should go into A Storm of Swords II. :)

Omer
Jun 7th 2:55 PM
and ONLY into SoS2... I think that would require some involved editing, though.
Jeff
Jun 7th 3:37 PM
How so? All it means is that you read ASOS II threads at your own risk. That topic is completely empty as we speak.
Ran
Jun 7th 4:05 PM
I think he means folk continuing to discuss threads in ASoS1 and slipping out spoiler stuff.

On the other hand, seeing the track record we've had, I do not think it is a particular problem _except_ wen new people stumble across the board, hot to discuss the book. Then some editing will be done, yes.
Jeff
Jun 7th 4:07 PM
Well, dumbass me was too obtuse to see that possibility. I stand corrected once again. ;-)
Min
User ID: 0074284
Jun 7th 5:26 PM
� am glad that _someone_ takes over the responsibility to make you look like a dumbass from time to time, now that I am too busy to check the board regularly, Jeff... I already feared you might miss it. But I see you're in good hands. :-)
Ran
Jun 8th 11:58 AM
Two points for those who are curious about spoiler policy here:

A) A Storm of Swords II is for _after_ the publication of _A Storm of Swords_. Not before. So if one should have gotten their hands on the four chapters, you know where to post about it. :) And if you should get your hands on an ARC, there's a better place to post about it as well. Ask.

(Not that I think anyone here is going to get their hands on an ARC -- as GRRM said, even he'd be lucky to get his hands on one for his collection.)

B) Hoaxes will be removed indiscriminantly. No more F*******.
Lodengarl
User ID: 1822634
Jun 8th 12:05 PM
What the hell is an ARC? Also...when and where do those first 4 chapters show up???
Omer
Jun 8th 2:30 PM
ARC I think is an Advanced Reader's Copy, or something to that effect, and it's given to reviewers, the president of the US, if he wishes one, and... that's about it :-)

as for the 4 chapters, Martin auctioned them. A few fans got together and bought them, but they're not allowed to talk about it. what I have heard was that the Prologue is AWESOME, and that we're gonna meet and love Mance Ryder, which presumeably means there will be a Jon chapter. I think there are also chapters for Arya, Tyrion and Sansa, but I'm not sure...
Ran
Jun 8th 3:18 PM
Prologue, Tyrion, Sansa, and Jon are the four chapters. GRRM decided to thrown in a fourth chapter and Jon was the one the majority of the group picked it (Arya and Dany were the other two choices GRRM gave us -- which probably says something about Davos's, Samwell's, Catelyn's, and Bran's first chapter's.)

Min
User ID: 0860834
Jun 9th 3:55 AM
And I think it is not against the agreement if I say that they _are_ awesome.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jun 9th 7:10 AM
I agree whole-heartedly with you Min. Those chapters are just wicked.
Lodengarl
User ID: 1822634
Jun 9th 7:50 AM
damn, where the hell was I??? hmmmm...I guess I will have to wait till the book comes out to read them.
Lommy Greenhands
User ID: 9377263
Jun 9th 2:25 PM
Min, Ser Benjen, i mean come on throw us a friggin bone, are quit bragging you sorry sons of bi.... oh who im i kiddin, I YIELD.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jun 9th 2:47 PM
Speaking of which... There is a _most_ interesting spoilerific review (additionally to the old synopsis) on www.amazon.com/uk... WHICH WILL NOT BE DISCUSSED HERE!!!

So, it looks like ARCs are around, as always... What a pity that none of the denizens of this board has one... or DO you?
Moreta
User ID: 0701364
Jun 9th 3:59 PM
Actually most of that review from amazon.co.uk was just rehash. Nothing that we haven't guessed or knew already, except maybe one possible spoiler.
Jeff
Jun 9th 4:12 PM
For those lusting after the four chapters -- Lommy (great choice of names, by the way), I agree that they were up to GRRM's usual quality, which is all that really matters. In terms of spoilers, I'm not sure how many there really are in those chapters. A "synopsis" of those chapters really wouldn't mean much. We meet one or two new characters who look to be very interesting, but again, a synopsis wouldn't convey what made them so good. They were great because they were written well.

Ran's point is a good one -- I think GRRM intentionally selected chapters that did not contin any major spoilers.

Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Jun 9th 4:21 PM
Well there was one thing I never would have guessed in my wildest days. Not that i'll say any more than that. In fact you could say 2 things since I just remembered another thing that really surprised me.
Next 20 Messages