This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Triumvirate

Next 20 Messages
Relic
User ID: 9308123
Jun 28th 0:34 AM
Well the time has come. Our fearless leader Revanshe is retiring, leaving us to fling herself wholeheartedly into the medical student world. So the question was posed, who will run the Ice And Fire Site? Well the question has just been answered, when the sun set only three were left standing. (heheh, sorry for the dramatics.) I am happy to announce that it seems Ser Benjen, LindaElane, and myself.

Now as the first order of business we thought it would be nice to find out what you, the steadfast, honorable, and caring emebers of this Board would like to see on the Ice And Fire Site. We have a few ideas of our own, but please, do tell.
Street Prophet
User ID: 1307164
Jun 28th 1:17 AM
I think it would be cool to have sections of people's amateur artwork.
Min
User ID: 0860834
Jun 28th 4:26 AM
First, congrats to the three of you! It seems to be a creative and reliable mixture, though "triumvirate" is not really appropriate, as you have one woman among you. :-)
I am sure the site will be in good hands.

I agree with Street Prophet about the amateur's artwork. Aside from that, I hope you do not plan to put down some of the other stuff Revanshe has put up? I love the movie section, and the index was very useful.

Hm, it seems you're planning on managing this site in a rather democratic way. I expected nothing less from you, Relic. ;-)
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jun 28th 7:11 AM
An art section was the very first thing that came to mind when I thought of the things that could be added to the site. I want to put up Jeffrey Jones' stuff from the special editions, and anything else inspired by the series I can get my hands on.
Markus
User ID: 8820133
Jun 28th 7:27 AM
I don't know feasible or useful it would be considering that the release of ASoS is only a little more than a month away, but I would suggest to expand the survey with some of the questions which were most controversially discussed here.

For example, it would be nice to have a current quantitative assessment of what the readership thinks about certain issues like who plotted to kill Bran, who killed Jon Arryn or is Tyrion a Targaryen or several other questions.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Jun 28th 8:21 AM
Markus,
Are you suggesting something along the lines of "topic summaries" from our previous discussions?
Ser Gary
Jun 28th 8:23 AM
BTW, congratulations to the new triumverate and thanks for taking on this project.
Markus
User ID: 8820133
Jun 28th 8:46 AM
Not exactly, Gary.

I was thinking more along the lines of a new web based survey. Revanshe had already one on her side, but it doesn't cover quite a lot of questions which were controversially discussed here.

I guess the closest we've on the message board would be the "Question of the Week" topic.

However, some people have changed their opinions since then, many didn't bother to post their opinion in the first place, and we've gotten a lot of new posters too.

A simple yes/no or a/b/c/d survey would be a lot faster than to revive interesting questions and to wait for responses which have to be summarized still, and also much more easy to use, with a simple click.
Ser Gary
Jun 28th 9:14 AM
Markus,
Good idea. I like it. Something like that would add a little spice to our lives while waiting for ASOS, plus it would probably rejuventate some of the long-dead discussions.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Jun 28th 9:37 AM
I think the survey idea is good. Now, if it would be possible to track who gave which answers, we could then give the "Nostradamus" award to the guy or girl who had the most correct predictions. Maybe that might involve creation of a short documents that could be downloaded, completed by each person, then e-mailed back to someone. Sounds like a lot of work, though, and I ain't volunteering to tabulate the results....
But maybe asking each of us to contribute a couple of multiple choice or yes/no questions might help create a pretty good survey.

I suspect that, given Martin's penchant for surprises, "None of the above" probably would need to be included for all but the "yes/no" questions.
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jun 28th 7:12 PM
One of the things I suggested when I applied for the site was to expand the survey section. I would like to do quite a few. Maybe a new one every two to three weeks. They would close, eventually, but I would like to keept he results visible.

If we want to do a "Who was behind the assassination of Bran?" one, I guess we had better get busy.

I guess it would make sense to share the ideas I put into my "application" letter to Revanshe, so you can see what is already being considered. I will put them in my next post.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone?

Min, I did not take Latin. Are collective nouns given a gender other than masculine? I'm awfully curious about languages for someone who did not take Latin :-)
LindaElane
Jun 28th 7:14 PM
One of the things I suggested when I applied for the site was to expand the survey section. I would like to do quite a few. Maybe a new one every two to three weeks. They would close, eventually, but I would like to keept he results visible.

If we want to do a "Who was behind the assassination of Bran?" one, I guess we had better get busy.

I guess it would make sense to share the ideas I put into my "application" letter to Revanshe, so you can see what is already being considered. I will put them in my next post.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone?

Min, I did not take Latin. Are collective nouns given a gender other than masculine? I'm awfully curious about languages for someone who did not take Latin :-)
LindaElane
Jun 28th 7:17 PM
As promised, here are the suggestions I put in my letter applying to Revanshe for the site. Btw, we are happy there are three of us, we think we will complement each other well.

Please let us know what you think of these ideas, and add your own:
----------------------------------------------
A Revanshe memorial page (shameless plug) ....ok, only with your permission
:-)

Many new surveys.

A glossary. What's a "gaol"? How much is Sam's weight of 20 stone? It would
include medieval weapons and armor, among many other things.

A prophecy page. Just the few prophecies that are found in the book so that people can refer to them.

A "great lines" page. People would contribute their favorite lines.

A "page finder". I want to list major events in the books, then list what
pages they are on in hardback/softback, American/British editions. I think
it could be an invaluable research tool.

A food page. Here is where I will put all the great meals they describe.
People may get hungry. :-)

A medieval customs page. Links to places that explain jousting, serfs, and
such things. Large warning that ASOIAF is not obligated to exactly recreate
the middle ages.

A castles page. Here people can post pictures of castles which they think
look like the ones described in the books. The descriptions of the castles
will be posted, along with any interesting facts mentioned about the actual
castles.

A "Towns and Countries" page. Here information will be posted about the
towns and countries mentioned in the series.

A Kingsguard page. A summary of who was in the kingsguard of whom, and when,
and an explanation of the kingsguard customs.

A section called "Great mysteries of A Song of Ice and Fire"

A "history page". It would be fully explained with a LARGE DISCLAIMER that
no one character in the book is patterned after any one character in history.
I also think I will have a policy that no major character gets mentioned in
connection with historical personages unless at least two are mentioned. I
would like to list them in a questioning way. For example, "Is Catelyn
anything like Eleanor of Aquataine?:would be a heading, followed by some
information on Eleanor. There are contacts on the Latter Medieval Britain
list that might be willing to help me with this project.

A "sources" page. Parris is helping a lot of us out with recommending
bookshops in our various countries which are likely to carry the series. I
would like them placed on a webpage, with their permission of course.

------------------------

A "geneology" page is an exciting idea that we have already started talking about on another thread.
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Jun 28th 8:08 PM
Wow, if yopu could do all that it would be awesome. Good luck guys!
Padraig
User ID: 8743893
Jun 30th 1:18 PM
Sounds really good. Bigger and better.
Son of Hot Pie!!!
Jun 30th 1:47 PM
Great ideas, people!
Revanshe
User ID: 1794364
Jul 6th 11:05 AM
Well folks, its done- yesterday night I emailed Relic, Ser Benjen and LindaElane the necessary
info to administer the site. Join me in wishing them good luck!! :D

For anyone who enters the site using the long
address- http://members.tripod.com/~Revanshe/song/fire.html
or http://members.tripod.com/~Revanshe/song/frame.html,

I want to let you know the address has changed slightly. It is now-

http://members.tripod.com/asoiaf/song/fire.html
(or)
http://members.tripod.com/asoiaf/song/frame.html
SPARHAWK THE MIGHTY
User ID: 0436494
Jul 6th 12:07 PM
HOW ABOUT A TEMPLE TO SPARHAWK THE MIGHTY, SO ALL HIS FLOCK CAN PAY HOMAGE?
Gap Hermit
User ID: 1202654
Jul 6th 10:35 PM
How 'bout we all line up to deal you a mighty smack across the temple? Close enough?
Grace
User ID: 1453344
Jul 19th 7:05 PM
Sounds wonderful! And ambitious. I know it will be a lot of work, and want to thank you guys for taking on that much!
Next 20 Messages