This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Anyone in Leipzig on 1.7 and 2.7?

Next 20 Messages
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jun 30th 6:53 AM
Well, I have rather spontaneously decided to go to Leipzig tonight. My brother is doing a little presentation there on an event somehow connected to the monument that needs to be repaired... Anyway, is some fellow denizen of the board based in Leipzig/visiting Leipzig at the same time? I know that it is unlikely to organize something on such short a notice, but who knows ;)?
Min
User ID: 0860834
Jun 30th 7:02 AM
Cologne is quite a way from Leipzig, or I would go there. But I am working 'till 8pm this evening, so this is a bit too late - as you already guessed. :-)
If you feel like doing a short trip to Cologne during the weekend, though, feel wholeheartedly invited. :-)
labor
Jun 30th 7:35 AM
Min, to my shame I seem unable to find Cologne in the old school atlas which is my only source of maps at the moment. Where is it? Is there a big city near it? If it is somewhere on the possible railroad route between Vienna and Leipzig, perhaps something could be tried... If not, there probably still will be that GRRM's signing in October... Thanks either way!
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jun 30th 8:10 AM
Aaaarhh...all this talk about people here on the board meeting at signings makes me very envious.

Is there any detail on GRRM tours in Europe here somewhere?

Perhaps I can sell some internal organs
to pay my way down into the heart of Europe...
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 30th 8:55 AM
Lets see. GRRM stated he'd be travelling in Germany in October. The first of these below is obviously :

Leipzig for Elstercon, October 6-8.

The Frankfurt Book Fair. Anyone have a date on this?

A signing at a bookshop in Berlin. No idea what this would be.

Best to ask GRRM himself about more precise details, I think. He seems to have gotten rather busy. Perhaps setting up travel and vacation plans, as he'll be in Westercon in Hawaii during the 4th of July weekend I believe.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jun 30th 8:59 AM
Let me toss in some extra information. The Frankfurt Book Fair has a site at:

http://www.frankfurt-book-fair.com/

It runs from October 18-23. There won't be a calendar of events until mid-September, so it's not clear just what GRRM would be doing at it.

LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
Jun 30th 10:20 AM
You know, I think GRRM will be doing a signing in late October/Early November in New York. I think it would be cool if folk were able to go and we could meet not only him but each other. Airfares can be had from London for about 200 dollars round trip, and 250 or so round trip from many other European destinations at that time of year. I know hotels for a mere 60 dollars a night that are fine, or perhaps some kind denizen of the board would put people in sleeping bags upon their floor.

Well, just a idea. I thoughtI would throw it out there. If it comes true and we get several people, my other dream is that GRRM would agree to a lunch or a dinner with us before or after the signing.
brosan
User ID: 9809413
Jun 30th 10:34 AM
I posted a thread on OTHER TOPICS II - on GRRM Convention appearances (including Germany).
I live in Cologne (which is near the rhine and has an international airport, labor) and will go at least to Erfurt and Frankfurt, maybe Berlin too.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jun 30th 11:33 AM
I'm definitly down for November in New York. My wife's Aunt lives in Queens, so I'll have a place to crash.
labor
Jun 30th 1:00 PM
Now wait a minute, brosan, Cologne isn't K�ln, is it? If it is, then I must have sounded very stupid, but I have only just realised that it might have a different English translation. Already happened with me with Munich - M�nchen, I am sorry to say (:.
Lodengarl
Jun 30th 1:04 PM
I am down with NY and dinner. I am sure he would feel extremely overwhelmed and on the spot, but oh well. Maybe we could all get really smashed and have him do a reading!
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jul 1st 8:47 AM
Never heard of K�lknisch Wasser, labor? ;o)
LindaElane
Jul 1st 8:12 PM
Heh....Wait. I would not want George to be overwhelmed. He could say yes or no in advance. He honestly seemed to enjoy chatting with the fans when I was in San Diego. But of course he might want to say no. He might have other plans, have friends he wants to spend time with, etc. If enough people want to do this, we will just have to see. I am pretty much wanting to do it conditionally on a nice size group from the board and George having a little time for us. I wonder if I should start a separate thread since people not coming to Leipzig might not read this. I am a little afraid it might not come to much, especially if GRRM does not want to do it, but imagine if it did. That would be great.

Btw, I suspect lunch is the more likely than dinner, since George might feel a little odd "sneaking" out to have dinner with only some fans that come to the signing.
labor
User ID: 1383404
Jul 2nd 10:30 AM
No, KAH, I have only heard of eau de Cologne ;) , honestly. I have perhaps read the "K�ln water" bit in some book written in 19th century and frankly never thought that they are one and the same. That, and brosan's info of Cologne's position and relative size helped me to make the necessary connection...
Arend
User ID: 9941493
Jul 2nd 11:03 PM
GRRM in NYC in october/november? cool, that's around my birthday. This poor New Jersey grad student can afford a trip to the City :-)
LidnaElane
Jul 2nd 11:10 PM
I am realizing two things.
(1) The assumption that he will sign in New York is just based on the fact that he did last time, I don't know for a fact he will this time.
(2) I don't know if he will sign on a weekend or not. A trip would not be possible midweek.

I'm also having a personal hard time with something that happened in ASOS that will not affect anyone else on this board. Half of my enthusiasm has waned though. Don't worry, everyone else will love it dearly.

At any rate, the bottom line is that I was just speculating about the possibility of a trip, and its not definite. Do continue to talk amongst yourselves if this is what people would like to do.
brosan
Jul 3rd 3:35 AM
labor,

:-) I knew, someday, you would find the truth :-)

Linda,

you speak in riddles, but "do continue ... if this what (you) would like to do".

Min
User ID: 0860834
Jul 3rd 4:50 AM
Linda, Cologne _is_ the biggest city here in the area. :-) It lies next to the former capital, Bonn, which is much smaller than Cologne, though. It is not far from the dutch border. Perhaps you'd rather find the German way to write it on your maps: K�ln. After Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt and Munich, it is the biggest German city.
How was Leipzig, anyway?

As for signing: I know a guy in Berlin who owns a fantasy bookstore, and he will for sure know in which Berlin bookstore Mr. Martin will be signing - perhaps it will even be in his own. I will email him and ask. On the book fair, too? Great. I'll probably be there anyway, I am there quite often - Cologne is only two hours from Frankfurt.
brosan
Jul 3rd 9:25 AM
Min,

maybe we should ask GRRM to do a session at the Mayer'sche. If he does Berlin and FF/M, why should he do Cologne too? I bet he�d like the Cathedral.
labor
Jul 3rd 9:33 AM
Yes, Min, I have already realised that Cologne = K�ln ;). Learn something new every day...

Well, as to Leipzig, I have met a few interesting people there and the city itself is quite nice from the fist glance... But there is little behind the fassade and past glory. IMHO in itself Leipzig merits only a one day visit and I really wonder why GRRM wants to hold a signing there. If he will be signing in Frankfurt and in Berlin I might very well go there instead, unless a good "board" society will head to Leipzig.
Next 20 Messages