This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / Board Changes?

Next 20 Messages
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jul 6th 10:49 AM
Revanshe has handed me administration of the board, and since I've time to fiddle about, I'm curious as to what ideas folk might have about the board.

Specifically, color combinations. There are people who dislike white-on-black (here), others who dislike light-grey-on-dark-grey (dragonswon), and others still who don't much like black-on-white (here when the board gets messed up by eesite.)

Anyone with any particular problems with the current color layout have any suggestions as to improving the readability of the board?
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jul 6th 10:53 AM
Color's generally fine as it is.

The white letters can be a bit glaring after a while...is bright yellow feasible? :o)
Ran
Jul 6th 11:07 AM
Heh. Don't quite think so, anyhow. ;)

I'm fiddling with one rather radical new layout on another board I've created. There'll be no changes to this board directly, as I'll use that other board to show what any suggested changes might look like.
SPARHAWK THE MIGHTY
User ID: 0436494
Jul 6th 12:05 PM
WHITE ON BLACK IS EXCELLENT.
A CHANGE I WOULD RECOMMEND IS NOT TO DELETE ANY OF MY PHILOSOPHICAL MUSINGS.
THEY CREATE DISCUSSION, AFTER ALL.
Son of Hot Pie!!!
User ID: 0276214
Jul 6th 1:53 PM
It's fine as is.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Jul 6th 2:32 PM
I'm a bit confused. As usual. I read the message a few days ago about control of the Board being in the hands of the "Triumvirate". But then I recall that Ran had taken over as administrator only recently. So what's the deal? Who's in charge? Or do we (hopefully) have a nasty power struggle going on? If not, I'll happily volunteer to incite one.

Personally, I'll side with Ran over that mutated hydra of a leadership with the arrogance to call itself the "Triumvirate".

Down with the tyrannous Triumvirate!! All hail Ran!
Ran
Jul 6th 2:52 PM
Heh. :)

Revanshe has handed her website to the glorious Triumvirate (may they live forever!).

For the last months, I've been moderating here, meaning I've had the power to delete posts and that's about it. The closing of board topics and creation of new ones has remained Revanshe's job until now. :)

So, now I can fiddle with the colors of the site (if enough folk feel it'd be useful), open new boards, close old ones, block IPs (yup, eesite does indeed allow this to be done), and the like.

So, far as this board goes, I guess I'm in charge. <puts on his Big Cheese novely hat>
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Jul 6th 3:44 PM
Who dares oppose the Triumvirate? Ran you treacherous scum! Guards seize him!!!
Arend
User ID: 9941493
Jul 6th 5:46 PM
Which makes me wonder - who will be playing Cleopatra to this triumvirate?
Ran
Jul 6th 6:18 PM
Okay, first little change: a new banner. After the big SNAFU by Eesite, the banners were set to the default Echelon Network banners. We've now placed a new ASoIaF banner up there, after my fiancee and I fiddled with some graphics. Hope you like it. :)

Since this board belongs to the community, the exit banner and the site it directs to will be changing about once every other month or so. The primary banner will be one for www.westeros.org, and the other six months (if all goes well) will be banners to advertise other ASoIaF websites.

Once we figure the actual size of banner (it won't be the standard banner size as above, more or less), I'll put up the specifictions. I think we'll want to keep it smallish in byte size as well, but I think 15k-20k will do well. It'll allow animation, if one wants that.

Next month, the banner will definently be pointing to the Triumvarate's site, I think. After Westeros's next turn, the next spot will be up for grabs.

As I think of it, I may change it to every other fortnight (to drag out an old term.) A couple of months is an awful long time to get to a new banner.

Anyhow, enough rambling. Feel free to mail [email protected] with any thoughts, suggestions, or requests to have me note down your site somewhere on this disorganized computer. :)
Tom R..
User ID: 3647314
Jul 6th 7:50 PM
Ran: The banner looks nice. I'm glad you're in charge over here, too. Sometimes I think you might be trying to take over the ASOIAF world but then ... that's quite alright with me. Somebody's got to do it! Too bad we can't have a nice banner like that one over at Dragonsworn [sighs deeply].

Oh well, time to go home.
Ran
Jul 6th 7:56 PM
Ahh, always thought that one was a bit gaudy. ;) Nicely colored, though, which is the real work one has to do when using Poser (which is what the figure seems to have been modelled in -- could be wrong).

Also, just fixed the exit banner. For those who want to make an exit banner for their site to be used here, the dimensions are 160 x 80. :)
Relic
Jul 6th 10:28 PM
Nice banner on the bottom, gives a a web ring type feel.
Jeff
Jul 7th 9:46 AM
Huh? Ran, that doesn't clarify anything. Are you saying that you are in charge of the Board, but they are in charge of the site? Just trying to clarify things....
Ran
Jul 7th 9:58 AM
Exactly, Jeff. I handle the board, they handle the website. :) Two entirely separate entities. :)
Revanshe
User ID: 1794364
Jul 7th 1:29 PM
Nice banners Ran! Good going!

Hey Relic, did you get the email with all the
passwords and username info? Just checking...
Relic
Jul 7th 3:47 PM
Rev, i stupidly gave you my work email. And im on a mini vacation. So i havent gotten to it yet, but Ser Benjen should be fowarding it to me any time now.
Dirjj
User ID: 1954724
Jul 7th 11:07 PM
Hmm, the Emperor may make an appearance soon. Just kidding. Love the Banner Ran. I see great things happening, and and many of them too, now that we've got 4 people to contribute to the maintanance of this site and board.

ab
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Jul 14th 1:48 PM
Since Ran hasn't seen fit to announce anything yet, I might as well do it myself.
After all, the not-so-casual reader will have noticed something's up already, from some of my recent posts...

Ran has decided to take a little break from his quest of taking over and dominate the world of aSoIaF, and has been looking for a likely thug to rough up anyone who might consider pissing in his yard while he's gone.

To be succinct, he chose wisely. ;o)

I shall be moderating the board while he is on vacation.

In short, I'm going to continue the line Ran has set for moderation.

I'll give (some) lee-way, but if things get out of hand, I will respond quickly.
I will decide for myself just what constitutes 'out of hand', but those who are familiar with Ran's moderating practice should have an idea of what I'll be aiming for...

If you feel the need to revert to ad hominem attacks (or similar shit), I'd suggest the 'Rants, Raves and Mayhem' topic.
That's what the topic was made for, after all.

Further notes on moderator policy will be given when needed.
Jeff
Jul 14th 1:51 PM
The inmates are now officially in charge of the asylum.
Next 20 Messages