This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / New Interview with GRRM

Markus
User ID: 8820133
Jul 8th 6:32 AM
Just to inform everybody, there is a new interview with GRRM at Amazon UK. But beware, I think it's not free of (very) slight spoilers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/49161/026-1281322-7450821
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jul 8th 7:00 AM
Well, IMHO the interview contains significant spoilers about the identity of the new POV, Stannis and Tyrion. Not that _I_ am displeased to have read it (I adore spoilers ;), but the purists might want to stay away from it.

BTW, perhaps we can discuss the several spoilerific reviews and the interview on the ASOSII board? I mean, it looks like the dragonsworn is down yet again...
Markus
Jul 8th 7:23 AM
Well, I would have thought most people would have realized by now who the new POV is going to be.;)

As for Stannis and Tyrion, I wouldn't exactly call them very significant, really; on the other hand, I can see that one could speculate a lot about what exactly triggered the bit about Tyrion.

Anyway, I don't feel especially spoiled, but then I only avoid major spoilers, thus, yes, perhaps it would be better to stay away from the interview for purists.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jul 8th 8:03 AM
It's fine to stick this in the SoS II thread, I think. I'll fix that. :)
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jul 8th 8:18 AM
What about the Ottokars review, Ran?

Anyway, Markus, IIRC in the various "new POV" threads there wasn't any consensus... And while nothing else was surprising to me, the bit about Stannis, was.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jul 8th 8:22 AM
Forgot that one. Unfortunately, I don't have the address on hand. Feel free to discuss Ottokars's review on the Amazon.co.uk review thread :)
Markus
Jul 8th 8:34 AM
Well, I think almost all people were mostly aware who the new POV was going to be.;)

As for Stannis, the seriosity of the information depends on what you refer to. The bit about what Stannis recognizes is rather trivial in regard to whether the plot is spoiled imo.

Much more serious seem the potential meanings of the historical parrallels Martin draws for Tyrion and especially Stannis. I'm somewhat glad the interviewer and Martin himself made a point that he doesn't copy history and likes to surprise.
Jeff
User ID: 8813033
Jul 8th 4:21 PM
I agree they are spoilers, with the new POV being less of a spoiler only because of the previous spoilers on Amazon.co.uk.

The part about Stannis really intrigues me. He was one guy that seemed a _bit_ cardboard, but Martin apparently has fooled us again.

I cannot wait to get this book.
Arend
User ID: 9941493
Jul 8th 10:47 PM
I feel like this little flame that is being fed by little bits of oily spoilers. I agree with you Jeff: these details about Stannis and the new POV open up whole new avenues (boulevards?) of possibilities. I guess no theory is wacky with GRRM.

I _almost_ wish I ordered priority mail from amazon.co.uk.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Jul 10th 8:18 AM
Exactly, Arend. The "spoilers" really don't tell us too much of substance, but certainly whet the appetite for the book.

I'm pretty impressed with the size of ASOS, though. 1000 pages averages to more than two a day. That's very, very good. Compared to our other "favorite" author of a continuing epic fantasy, that's lightspeed.
REDHORN
User ID: 9391453
Jul 17th 11:51 AM
Actually, it comes out to be more than three pages on a normal computer program, more like four or more a day. Only when it's converted to Hardcover does it become two, so that's a lot of writing. But the way you said it works too so this doesn't really mean anything.