This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / How long can you guy's go on?

Conrad
User ID: 9189423
Jul 29th 2:17 PM
I got to thinking about the length of the trilogy, which got me thinking about the life span of this site.
You've managed to talk, pick and debate on virtually every subject hidden within the pages of these fantastic books.
Even bringing up general topics just to kill the waiting time for ASOS. But what are you gonna do when the trilogy comes to an almighty climax and leaves us screaming for more.
There is only so much you can discuss, right?
I would love to see something along the lines of Tolkeins histories. The time-lines and the like found in The Return of the King.
A huge leather bound hard back book with the entire history of every house. Nothing as extreme as the kind of Star Trekky books that teach the language of the races and cultures. Although that too would be nice. Pointless but nice.
But yeah! What are you going to do? One day the Songs going to come to end!
Conrad
Jul 29th 2:31 PM
Oh! and...

Am I the only person on the planet that has read and re-read "Keith Taylor's" Bard series?
Conrad
Jul 29th 3:34 PM
Hmm, I think I'll need a forum for my personal use. I'm always posting dumb questions and then upon re-reading them I notice how dumb they are.
I've just been checking the other sites and I'm soooo wrong its unreal. You were probably shaking your head throughout my first post!
The site I looked at virtually answered my question and put me to shame at the same time. TRILOGY?? Hmm, six book saga! With short stories on the way upon completion of The Song.
I haven't read the Hedge Knight yet, but I'm not really one for short stories anyway! I'm sure I'll check it out at some point in the future.
Bernie M.
User ID: 1689844
Jul 29th 6:53 PM
You haven't read THE HEDGE KNIGHT yet??? What's the matter with you?!? It was by far the best story in Legends. GRRM has a talent for making you care for a character in very few words. I was sorry that it was only a short story. I would have gladly read an entire novel about the adventures of Dunk and Egg :) After reading that story, I had no wish to read the other selections that Legends had to offer, because they all paled in comparison.
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Jul 31st 8:43 AM
Conrad, go buy Legends 2 in paperback now!!! The Hedge Knight is an awesome tale that is set in Westeros - so it is like reasing another part of A Song of Ice and Fire - and it a good 100+ pages, and the best short tale in the series.
Aaron
User ID: 0317884
Jul 31st 11:41 AM
The Hedge Knight - I keep hearing about this but I have not read the story yet. If I skip it, do I miss out on an important part of ASOIAF?

Lodengarl
Jul 31st 11:43 AM
You will not miss out on an important part of aSoIaF - but if you are any kind of fan, you will get it immediately and devour it! It is such a kick ass tale and it ties into A Storm of Swords ... it is an easy read, but let me just say this...it is AS GOOD as the first two books of the series, so you know it is awesome!
Lodengarl
Jul 31st 11:44 AM
Here is the link to purchase from amazon..it is only $5.50

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812575237/qid=965061561/sr=1-6/102-9703596-6543356
Padraig
User ID: 1982994
Jul 31st 1:09 PM
It gives a great look at the Targaryens when they were actually in power.
Min
User ID: 0074284
Jul 31st 5:41 PM
Well, Conrad, the answer is not that difficult. I came here over a year ago to discuss GRRM's books. I now come here to talk to people I call my friends. How long can I go on? As long as they are there, forever.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Aug 1st 3:31 PM
Not to go all mushy or anything, but I'm with Min in this. The off-topic stuff really has become more prevelant than the on-topic stuff over the last few months, but I enjoy it just as much.
Emily
User ID: 2192024
Aug 2nd 10:18 AM
Yes, but...what DOES happen when it's all *sob* over - all six books, all Dunk and Egg stories, maybe even a prequel about the Harrenhal tournament...????????? Perhaps we should wait a year or two, until we've said absolutely everything there is to say about ASOIAF (several times over) and then commit mass suicide...does that appeal to anyone?
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 10:51 AM
let's take GRRM hostage and make him write 6 more.
Jeff
Aug 2nd 12:41 PM
Great idea, Emily!

You go first. ;-)
Emily
User ID: 2192024
Aug 3rd 8:35 AM
Actually I was thinking that a big, brave, manly MAN like our very own ex-marine should go first, just to show us all how it's done...but failing that, Lodengarl's idea definitely appeals.
Jeff
Aug 3rd 8:38 AM
Uh, Emily, are you going to make an attempt to go to this convention thing next year? If so, do I need to wear body armor?
Lannister
User ID: 0136334
Aug 3rd 3:30 PM
Alright, someone separate these two lovebirds! Don't make me get out the hose.

(there are no sexual implications in this instance of the word "hose." I simply mean I might have to douse the two of you.)
Lodengarl
Aug 4th 8:51 AM
mmmm...dousing....mmmmmm...