This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / A new site ...

Back 20 Messages Next 20 Messages
Ran
User ID: 0283314
Jun 20th 5:46 PM
Well, I suppose this might be considered a major announcement, so here goes.

The largest (I suspect) and the most specialized (I'm pretty sure) ASoIaF site on the 'Net is ready for semi-public consumption (meaning -- no linking, just like the old concordance page, and hopefully no passing information around about it to too many folk.)

What is it, exactly?

After many hours of work, and much trading of e-mail with Mr. Martin back and forth (including getting some of his notes), we have produced ...

A site devoted to the heraldry of Westeros.

<crickets chirp>

Okay, okay, hold the applause, don't need to hurt yourselves with enthusiasm . . . ;)

In any case, if you care, try:

http://members.xoom.com/Nymeria/Banners.html

<Note: Some of you, if you bother going and reading the text, will notice a little mention of a MUSH ... well, there's a reason I never messed around on the MUD thread. Of course, we're extremely patient people so we're not really budging from a date somewhere around the publishing of SoS, and maybe a few months more. Heh>
Jeff
User ID: 0909594
Jun 25th 4:04 PM
Got it. I suppose that's why some of us sort of had different ideas about what was happening on the Potpourri board.
Ran
Jun 25th 4:09 PM
Yeah. Not that there's anything wrong with a MUD -- it's just that the ASoIaF setting doesn't translate well, and a more literary crowd (looking at things, we seem to be skewing towards folk in and out of college) wants something that's .... well, more literary.

A MUD's sort of brain candy -- fun to play, but it doesn't stretch you (except in the case of those games which really focus on reaction times -- 'impulse' MUDs.) A MUSH, on the other hand ... well. That's where it gets interesting, when you're trading dialouge and witticisms in a game of one-upmanship. ;)

Like it's said, though, we're a loooong way off from ever opening. The concordance (whenever that gets done and then fully approved by Martin), the So Spake collection, and (especially) the banners will be a centerpiece to a site devoted to _A Song of Ice and Fire_ and the MUSH based on it.
Markus
User ID: 2547224
Jun 27th 12:57 PM
Ran,

as you've already mentioned the listing of the Lords of Harrenhal, do you know why _Lady_ Whent's family (father, grandfather..) ruled in Harrenhal?

I thought she is a widow and Whent is therefore her husband's House, which would mean that the family of her husband ruled Harrenhal.
Ran
Jun 27th 1:10 PM
Hrm ...

Good point. I had assumed Shella Whent was widowed as well. I suppose that's not necessarily correct -- she could be the only woman of the Whents left, and for some reason or another is allowed to hold it until such time as she passes, then it goes to the Tullys or the king to decide who'll sit there next.

Or am I missing something?

I do know that the Whents were quite an old and notable house before they were granted Harrenhal (this because we originally cut the Whents from our listing, assuming them to be too young for our purposes -- Martin corrected this by stating the above.)

I suppose I should just take the time to note the Lord of Harrenhal since Harren the Black (in apparent order):

House Qoherys (yup -- Valyrian; a companion of Aegon, apparently, became the first lord of Harrenhal)
House Towers
House Harroway
House Strong
House Lothston (alive in living memory from CoK, at least)
House Whent

Can't say anything else about those others, though, since I haven't really asked. On the other hand, we've got the heraldry for all of them, if anyone cares.

It's basically towers and fire and dragons until you get to Lothston and Harrenhal, who are the first to make use of the bats (suggesting that by the time they got there, Harrenhal was in poor enough shape to start housing the bats in its cavernous vaults)
Markus
User ID: 2936914
Jun 27th 2:28 PM
Well, I see no problem if she isn't widowed, your scenario for this is sensible.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel that it was actually mentioned that she is a widow.

Unfortunately, I don't know where excactly, thus it is certainly possible that I'm confusing her with somebody else.
Ran
Jun 27th 2:45 PM
Only thing I can find is the line 'Lady Whent, last of her line ...' in Catelynn's chapter at the inn in GoT.

Don't believe there's anything specific which says she's widowed, but then, I don't remember every reference to her. Hrm.
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Jul 13th 10:52 AM
What about the Green Apple Fossoways? Are they not counted as a separate House?
Ran
Jul 13th 11:25 AM
They are separate, but the top of the page notes that houses that are made post-expected game time -- like the Cleganes, the Baelishes, and the Green Apple Fossoways -- won't be included among things we mean to do.

Maybe, someday, after we have all the ones that will exist for the game, we'll consider doing the arms of newer houses or houses that have died out prior to our target date.

For those interested, though, I'll note both Fossoway houses:

House Fossoway of Cider Hall -- A red apple on gold

House Fossoway of Newbarrel -- A green apple on gold
labor
User ID: 8479113
Jul 13th 1:22 PM

And is there actually a Lord Fossoway in either of those family branches, or are they a "knightly" House, like Clegane or Seaworth?
Ran
Jul 13th 1:50 PM
They would be lords, I believe. They're certainly too many and too apparently wealthy to be just knights. What was it ... fifty men at arms among just one particular group of Freys? I believe Gregor Clegane hasn't got much past a dozen men for his part.

I am under the impression that knightly houses do not have any particular name for their keeps -- a social faux pas to do otherwise, something seen as pretentious and the like. This is just my impression, however.
'Lendle
User ID: 9301033
Jul 26th 2:46 PM
I have a new ASOFAI web site if you'd like to check it out. It's at www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/1043/index.html
Please come visit. I'm constantly updating it.
Min
User ID: 9433023
Jul 26th 5:12 PM
nice site, Lendle. I don't think I'll have the time to post on _yet another_ ,essage board, though... this one devores much more of my time than is healthy already. :-)
But I will drop in from time to time to see if there's anything new.
Aemon Jul 28th 1:52 PM
Have you checked out Ran's site? It must have taken a long time. Great job!
Ran
Sep 26th 2:43 PM
For those who've been interested in the heraldry site but haven't checked it lately, there's been some changes of late in the way the arms are presented. The mantling has been changed (for the majority of houses) from the previous gold effect to a two-toned style (which is accurate for medieval heraldry) incorporating the primary colors of the houses.

It does seem to add a lot to some of them. Further, we've got a brand new House Lannister done, using a much more interesting (and good looking, we admit) lion than before.

Finally, keep an eye out over the next few days, we should have a brand new Targaryen which is far better than our current one. :)
Ran
Oct 12th 6:17 PM
Well, after some consideration, my fiancee and I have decided to have a funny little contest for the heraldry site. ;)

As we know, all houses have their words. Unfortunately, we only know the mottoes for the Great Houses . . . but wouldn't it be fun if we could make up the names of the lesser houses?

So, Linda and I have picked out 25 particular houses which have some ... possibilities for having some very funny mottoes (yes, we're aiming for funny -- we'll let Martin do the serious ones. ;) I'll post the 25 below:

House Blount
House Hollard
House Thorne
House Bolton of the Dreadfort
House Hornwood of Hornwood
House Manderly of White Harbor
House Mormont of Bear Island
House Reed of Greywater Watch
House Sunderly of Saltcliffe
House Elesham of the Paps
House Baelish of the Fingers
House Wydman
House Frey of the Twins
House Piper of Pinkmaiden
House Vypren
House Falwell
House Beesbury of the Honeyholt
House Florent of Brightwater
House Fossoway of Cider Hall
House Dondarrion of Blackhaven
House Errol of Haystack Hall
House Grandison of Grandview
House Manwoody of Kingsgrave
House Uller of Hellholt
House Wyl of the Boneway

http://members.xoom.com/Nymeria/Banners.html is the website to look at to find out more about these houses, some of which have yet to appear in the books. If we get enough responses, we'll do a separate page to show the best mottoes with all due to credit.

Also, if you come up with funny ones for other houses, toss them in too.

BTW, feel free to post entries here, or send them by email to [email protected], or use the guestbook at the site. :)
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Oct 13th 8:35 AM
House Hollard; "Praise the Seven and Pass the Winecask" :P

Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Oct 13th 9:11 AM
House Frey; "Procreation"
Ran
User ID: 8075153
Nov 20th 2:40 PM
Well, finally got around to do some updates. Any of you regular visitors will have noticed a couple of new additions, here and there.

But the newest thing, at the moment, would be that we finally managed to do a supplement page where we include houses which don't fit the time period we're aiming for. This means we've got arms done for some of the lords of Harrenhal, for some old Riverkings, and so on.

The usual page is at:

http://members.xoom.com/Nymeria/Banners.html

The supplement page is at:

http://members.xoom.com/Nymeria/Banners-Extra.html

The next project is going to be a vast set of notes for those houses whose arms have some bit of trivia attached to them (within limits -- we won't point out all the nods to other authors that we've found, for instance.)

If anyone has any particular questions about any of the arms or whatever, feel free to post them here. :)
drone
User ID: 0087674
Nov 20th 8:39 PM
I am sure that it goes without saying but that web page is one of the best things I've seen out there and I've seen alot of them.
Back 20 Messages Next 20 Messages