This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / When?

Next 20 Messages
Rania
User ID: 1711124
Aug 2nd 0:57 AM
When will the book be considered as officially released? I guess when the first person on this board receives it from Amazon? or ifthey are lucky enough to live in England goes and buys it from the nearest bookstore?
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Aug 2nd 8:29 AM
Well, yeah.

I was working from the August 21 date, but if it's out in the book stores before that, it seems natural to change it.
Rania
Aug 2nd 8:33 AM
Which means what exactly?
KAH, just give me a date....... Please.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Aug 2nd 8:38 AM
Well, I can't.
But it seems people will start to get it very soon , so...hm.

I'll talk this over with Ran, I think.
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Aug 2nd 8:40 AM
Rania - question for you...you have read the book, in your honest opinion, where do you place the books in order of best to "worst". And don't tell me they are all good..I know they are..just want your opinion please.
Rania
Aug 2nd 8:41 AM
Good great.
KAH, if not I am more than willing to start an SOS spoilers only mailing list until such a time that you will allow spoilers posted on the board.
Rania
Aug 2nd 8:41 AM
Oh it is the best so far.
I
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 8:43 AM
Ok, I got to ask...are you just saying that, or maybe because it is new in your head, or is it really better than the other 2?
Rania
Aug 2nd 8:43 AM
The only thing it really depends on what your definition of good or best is...
And I am only about one third of the way through. I am really trying very hard to pace myself and make the book last and last.
When I re-read it, I am going to read each POV through to the end.
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 8:44 AM
You mean read like each character till the end? Like all of Tyrion's chapters, etc. etc.?
Rania
Aug 2nd 8:47 AM
yes, that is what I mean.
I just re-read both AGOT and ACOK that way and it was very enjoyable......
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 8:52 AM
I agree that is a cool thing. I re-read aCoK chapters for Jon after reading the prologue, just to see what the characters from the prologue do beforehand...interesting.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 2nd 9:44 AM
AFter considering it, I think I'll peg the official release date as August 8. Why? Well, the folk in the U.K. get it much sooner than this, and those who did express from Amazon.uk too, but .. the vast majority of us are getting it within one week of the 1st.

So, August 8th, 2000, is the official release date as far as the board and board discussion should go. It should just be enough time for folk to have the books in hand, so that they can start joining in spoiler discussions or so they can easily combat the urge to read things that are still spoilers for them because they've got the book right there to read. :)
Rania
Aug 2nd 9:46 AM
Okay, thanks Ran. So next Tuesday it is . What time? Midnight GMT? 12:01 Eastern time?
Ran
Aug 2nd 9:56 AM
Heh. Well, I hadn't thought of that. Uhm .... Greenwich Mean Time -- the international standard. I'm such a Euro. ;P ;)

Uh ... we'll use GMT, I suppose, then. ;) Midnight, August 8th. That would be, IIRC, about 7:00 PM EST on August 7th.
Rania
Aug 2nd 10:04 AM
Hey Ran, I am just making absolutely positively sure that I dont break ANY RULES.
Ran
Aug 2nd 10:15 AM
No problem. I just hadn't thought of it. :) I mean, to be honest, if folk jump the gun by a couple of hours, it's hardly a problem. Or even by half a day, I suppose. But the 8th is a nice date to wait on, I guess. :)
Rania
Aug 2nd 11:35 AM
Lodengarl,
I think that the series is progressively getting better. As good AGOT was I think that ACOK was better and now I think that ASOS is even better.
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 12:54 PM
I think GRRM should write these 6 books, then 3 prequels and 3 sequels... :)
Arend
User ID: 2449714
Aug 2nd 8:22 PM
There was an item in the news section of this weeks Science Fiction Weekly (www.scifi.com/sfw/) on GRRM. Nothing much new, vaguely spoilerific for those sensitive to these things, but GRRM said he is planning to start on DoD within the month! Also that there has been no interest so far in bringing the series to any kind of screen.
Next 20 Messages