This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / WHINE

gad
User ID: 8736803
Aug 30th 9:30 AM
Depressed, so very depressed.

I want my mommy, everyone but me has got the book. My copy seems to have been liberated at the local post office. Amazon UK promised me another copy free of charge. It too seems to have gone AWOL

In desparation: a friend is visiting London this week. He will buy the book if he finds it. Is it available on the shelves of the major London bookstores?
gill
User ID: 0889114
Aug 30th 11:29 AM
Should be available. I bought mine in Borders in Brighton, over a week ago.
gad
Sep 5th 8:09 AM
Still do not have the book. Friend came back but did not find it in the London stores, Amazon are now sending it to me for the third time. Not hopeful

To alleviate the disappointment I got engaged. Marriage will be in January. Yah!It's my second time around. Reminds me of the GBS quote of "truimph of hope over experience". Hopefully I will have got the book prior to the honeymoon ...
brosan
User ID: 7057593
Sep 5th 8:18 AM
Congratulations and all the best wishes, gad. I took AOSOS with me on my honeymoon (got married 2 weeks ago) to reread it. But then didn�t find time to do it..
gad
Sep 5th 9:02 AM
brosan, congrats, would you have taken the book with you if it was the first reading?
gad
Sep 5th 9:05 AM
brosan, congrats, would you have taken the book with you if it was the first reading?
brosan
Sep 5th 9:17 AM
sure, but I think it would have spoiled the honeymoon. (Does your bride know/share/understand the ASOIAF-Fever?)
gad
Sep 5th 9:38 AM
know yes, share no, understand: she is a sweetie so she tries; she would not be at all happy if the book on its first reading comes on honeymoon
Padraig
User ID: 0240854
Sep 5th 2:37 PM
Gad, Brosan congrats. aSoS has something to say about weddings too...
brosan
Sep 6th 3:57 AM
Hehe, let�s not make this a spoiler-thread...

I found that, although she insists on not liking SF&F, she agreed to read the Hedgeknight (wich is more or less alternative history) and liked the characters very much. She promised me that someday, in her pregnancy (if that should happen) she�d read the whole series, so I�m trying hard now (Mr. Martin, do you read this??? Do you see what I have to go through to make my wife read ASOIAF???? :-)))).

Thank you Padraig.
gad
Sep 6th 5:02 AM
it arrived at my office this morning! 2 minutes ago. Fk!Fk!Fk! I am so busy now preparing for a huge trial in 2 weeks, what do I do now? How long can one hold off from reading.
brosan
Sep 6th 5:17 AM
Well, this ain't Dante�s dilemma. If you read quickly, It�ll just cost you 3 days. Come on. You want it badly, don�t you? (that was my diabolical part taking over - sorry gad)
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Sep 6th 8:12 AM
Hey Brosan...try this...in order to get my wife to read A Game of Thrones...I told her that I thought it would be a good idea for us to spend some quality, quiet time together, and we read the book aloud together over the period of a month. She really liked it, and it was a joy to see her theories on things and reading chapters like Bran's and Ned's...made it a lot of fun. Hopefully, we will start A Clash of Kings soon.
brosan
Sep 6th 8:27 AM
That�s a splendid idea, lodengarl. We do this from time to time, but only on books that we can both agree on. Last time I tried this with SF&F she stubbornly refused, but maybe this needs some time. So I�ll try that again with ASOIAF. Thank you!
brosan
Sep 7th 8:44 AM
brosan your whispering bent my rubber arm, I rushed it and read the whole book yesterday without much savouring. At least I now know the broad plot outline, will wait till I have real time before I read it properly.
Brosan
Sep 7th 10:36 AM
Welcome to the Club, then, Gad.
Lannister
User ID: 0770504
Sep 9th 4:26 PM
Historically my wife has hated sci-fiction and fantasy but I got her to read A Game of Thrones and she was hooked. When we got A Storm of Swords we were both taking turns reading it. I've finished and she's about halfway through now. Damn, I can't mention anything about the ASoS plotline. She's just about to get to a very important part and I can't say a thing...arg!
Dragonsnake
User ID: 8430353
Sep 9th 5:13 PM
Gad,
Hopefully U'll made it this time! My sister was engaged 4 times in 4 different countries. The 5 time she first married, than started to investigate her husband's good and bad sides.