This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / WorldCon 2003

Parris
User ID: 1822634
Sep 6th 8:54 AM
Hey folks !

The results of the site selection for the WorldCon 2003 were announced in Chicago this past weekend.

Toronto won over Cancun, by almost 1,00 votes. After the votes were tallied, the Toronto committee announced their line-up of guests:

Frank Kelly Freas (artist)
Mike Glyer (fan GOH)

oh - and the writer GoH?

GEORGE RR MARTIN (!!!)

I must admit I admire the TorCon committee for their exquisite taste in choosing their Guest of Honor.

For those of you not too familiar with SF fandom, being asked to be a Guest of Honor at a WorldCon is considered to be a crowning laurel of an illustrious career, which, of course, in my opinion, George has deserved since the day he first took up pencil and wrote scary monster stories for his elementary school buddies.

It just took the rest of the world a little time to catch up.

The Guests of Honor are not announced during the bidding process, so I've been keeping this secret for more than a year.

Phew - I'm glad that part is over!

I don't have the TorCon URL on this computer, but you can get there from here by using the Worldcon web page that can take you to sites for all future WorldCons:

http://www.wsfs.org/

If any of you have the slightest hopes to attend TorCon, I urge you to buy a membership now - it won't get any cheaper, the committee needs your money up front so they can budget properly, and you'll get all sorts of neat progress reports and other cool sfnal stuff. As I've said before, if you can't attend a WorldCon you've bought a membership for, you can sell it to someone who can attend.

But this is one WorldCon I expect a lot of folks will want to attend.

I certainly will.

Beaming with pride

Parris

Aaron
User ID: 1718124
Sep 6th 8:59 AM
That is way cool. I hope I can make it to that Con. Congrats GRRM!!

Parris
Sep 6th 9:04 AM
Here's the TorCon URL:

http://www.torcon3.on.ca/index.html

that should get you there directly.

Still Beaming

Parris
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Sep 6th 1:12 PM
We are hoping the TorCon will also hold the Second Annual "Ice and Fire" mini-con :)

I am glad Cancun lost - I went there on my honeymoon and vow never, ever ever to set foot in Mexico again - they can all go to hell :) If GRRM himself had invited me and paid for my tickets I still would have declined ... you cannot imagine what a hellish nightmare my honeymoon was...

Awesome news Parris!!!
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Sep 6th 1:26 PM
Great news, Parris!!! Congrats to GRRM!!! He deserves it!!!
Relic
User ID: 9308123
Sep 6th 2:27 PM
Yes! Justice has been served.
Padraig
User ID: 1934244
Sep 6th 2:32 PM
Stupendous news Parris.
Relic
Sep 6th 5:49 PM
Parris, hows your kneee holding up?
Parris
Sep 6th 6:14 PM
It's still bad - I think I'll have to go to a doctor and get help and I really hate doctors...

but the real hoot right now is that since I have so much to talk about, so many people I want to call and tell about GRR being the TorCon GoH, along with the usual gossip and fun stuff from the con,

I've got laryngitis.

I squeak when I talk.

The Gods are laughing up their silver lame� sleeves...

Parris
Relic
Sep 6th 7:00 PM
Maybe you can pass the squeak off as uncontainable excitment =)
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Sep 7th 7:36 AM
Xena always overcomes her setbacks :)
Min
User ID: 0394114
Sep 7th 7:40 AM
Heartfelt congratiolations to both of you, that's great news!
KAH
User ID: 1278884
Sep 7th 9:09 AM
*tosses out confetti*
Ser Benjen
User ID: 0575574
Sep 7th 9:26 AM
Congrats to GRRM!!! Thanks for the news Parris.
Crumlin
User ID: 0896204
Sep 7th 6:14 PM
Hey Parris, go grab a beer and celebrate with George for all of us. Then... bring him home and plop him down in front of a word processor so we can all move on with our lives.