This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / SoS-II Board Down -- New Board?

Next 20 Messages
Ran
User ID: 0743024
Sep 12th 7:25 AM
Continued from Why is the SoS II-board still down?

As I've noted, I've been fiddling with Ezboard. I've set up a customized ASoIaF board which retains much the same looks as this board, with some added bells and whistles as far as images go (to match the title banner.)

It can be found at:

http://pub26.ezboard.com/basoiaf

I've marked it so Ezboard does not require registration, with the restriction that an unregistered poster may not use the names of any registered persons (not sure whether this means global and local registers across the system, or whether this means )

I'm still fiddling with other things, but mainly I'd like people to look at it and decide whether switching to Ezboard is of interest to them.

If so, what would probably happen is that all the topics would be closed to new posting, and plenty of pointers to the new board will be provided.
It's a hassle, but as has been noted, Echelon (owners of eesite) are increasingly scarce in maintenance (I've still to get a reply about the loss of SoSII) since they were bought out by Swirve.com. The board has also always had its little errors, like posts showing up blank before the 100 post limit is reached, and so on.

Ezboard seems to have a very active support system, on the other hand.
Markus
User ID: 8820133
Sep 12th 7:39 AM
Well, I think switching boards is a very good idea -- in the end we will have a better board, just with a different adress it seems to me.

If this shall going to work well, though, you really have to close this board for new posts.
brosan
User ID: 7057593
Sep 12th 7:51 AM
the new board looks really good. I�m for switching.
Min
User ID: 0394114
Sep 12th 8:12 AM
Switching sounds ok - though I will shed a few tears for our old home. But it has ever been troublesome, and always brought problems, with threads breaking and disappearing.

But if we switch, we should all switch, and make sure that _everyone_ learns of the switching. Perhaps with a main topic on the first page which should say: "The board community has moved", and one entry by Ran. Something like that. I'd go, but only if we all do.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Sep 12th 8:21 AM
I'm for moving. Will it be possible to transfer old topics from this Board to the new one? I'd still be in favor of moving anyway, but I'm just sort of curious.

Min
Sep 12th 8:55 AM
Would beinteresting, yes. I don't think it would work, though. Apart fromt this, will the topics here be saved somehow?

I registered already - didn't want to leave anyone the chance to steal my nick. :-)
Ran
Sep 12th 8:59 AM
I'm trying to decide how best to do the topic moving. I don't really think I'm up to going through and moving every topic in whole that has seen activity in the last week or two.

I suppose I could handle transferring the ADwD threads easily enough ... but anything else would really be up to whether I've the energy. Ideally, folk would take it upon themselves and help out by moving selected topics that interest them.

Does that sound workable?
brosan
Sep 12th 9:13 AM
I�d suggest that everyone of us looks into the threads she/he has initiated, and decides whether or not it�s worthy to transfer it - and should then do it.
I think most of the time, a quick summary of the most important postings will do.
Jeff
Sep 12th 9:27 AM
Not a bad idea, brosan. Those who started up each thread are responsible for moving it.
Ran
Sep 12th 9:49 AM
I can handle doing ADwD, at the least. That's really no problem for me. :)
Min
Sep 12th 10:03 AM
helluva job, Ran. I already saw what you posted there. OK, I'll sketch through the threads I initiated, and see what I can do - or if it's necessary. We should not leave all this work up to Ran alone, but care each for "his" threads.

Great job, Ran (and brosan, too)!
Ser Benjen
User ID: 0575574
Sep 12th 10:06 AM
That's the host for the board we used for the SOS spoiler chapters way back when! It's a great board, so I have no problems switching over.

My name is still registered (as just Benjen) over there so that's cool with me.
brosan
Sep 12th 10:18 AM
Ran, I�ve seen you�ve started already moving the files. Does this mean we�re free to post now too?
Ran
Sep 12th 10:24 AM
Well, I'd ask that folk wait a little bit on that until I'm done moving over ADwD in as updated a fashion as I can. If you mean posting new topics that don't exist on eesite, go ahead, though. :)
Moreta
User ID: 0701364
Sep 12th 10:33 AM
I like the new board. Significantly better.
GreenGerg
User ID: 0896204
Sep 12th 11:23 AM
I like the new board too.
Ran
Sep 12th 11:26 AM
Okay, more or less done with ADwD. There is a note in Announcements at Ezboard stating it's open.

I am about to close the ADwD board here, leaving a note about things moving. Then a walk, and I'll be back soon after to add some finishing touches.
Padraig
User ID: 7650093
Sep 12th 1:05 PM
Well I registered too.

So bye, bye eesite. Its been a very interesting year and a half.
Jaeger
User ID: 0735934
Sep 12th 1:25 PM
Its only been a year and a half? My god, it feels like its been ages. Seriously can't think of a time not lurking here. Ah well, awaaay we go.
Jeff
Sep 12th 2:29 PM
So this will be the fourth board, right? I remember Dragonstone, then this board, and now the EZ Board. IIRC, there was another Board pre-Dragonstone. Before my time, though. Anyone here a veteran of all four Boards? Ran? LindaElane?
Next 20 Messages