This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings III / Ser Dontos

Next 20 Messages
Rania
User ID: 1711124
Jul 26th 2:10 AM
is he going to get Sansa out of King's Landing?
SPARHAWK THE MIGHTY
User ID: 8443743
Jul 26th 3:33 AM
NO, MARTIN'S WESTEROS IS NOT A WORLD WHERE THE WEAK SUCCEED IN THEIR ENDEAVOURS. HE WILL UNDOUBTEDLY BE CAUGHT IN THE ACT, AND HORRIBLY KILLED.
Casper
User ID: 9405543
Jul 26th 8:07 AM
I think it all depends on Littlefinger. Recall near the end of ACOK in the woods where Dontos told Sansa that once his "friend" returned to KL he would be able to get her out of there. At the time Littlefinger was off to Dorne making to cement the wedding/Dornish-Lannister alliance, so I have no doubt Dontos has been acting on Littlefinger's behalf with Sansa. Question is, does Littlefinger really want to help Sansa escape, or is it some kind of setup?
Rania
Jul 26th 10:01 AM
Yikes....... I never noticed that one. Are you sure?
Casper
User ID: 9405543
Jul 26th 10:31 AM
Sorry don't have the book here at work, so can't give a cite. But I'm sure Dontos told Sansa in their last meeting in the Godswood that his "friend" was arranging her escape and that he would be returning to KL shortly.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jul 26th 10:44 AM
Pages 549-550 of the U.K. hardback. Dontos does indeed say that he has spoken to a certain man he knows, and he'll help him get her out when the time is right. He then says, a little later, that things will happen when his friend returns to the city.

Littlefinger does, really, seem to be the best choice for this. Although it wouldn't have to be directly -- I could very well see this "friend" being Ser Lothor Brune (Apple-eater), who is in Littlefinger's service. I don't think Dontos trusts anyone on the small council, but he could be duped into thinking that Brune isn't reporting anything to his boss...
Arend
User ID: 8590713
Jul 26th 1:46 PM
I don't have the book here with me, so... How does the hairnet figure into this? Does that come from the same friend?
Ants
User ID: 2240694
Jul 26th 8:25 PM
This is a very, very good theory. By the way, what do people think Dontos' intentions are as directed to Sansa?
Rania
Jul 26th 9:30 PM
Well if he is in Littlefinger's employ deliver her to his boss at the most opportune time.
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Jul 27th 1:10 AM
Dontos is a fool, being played by Littlefinger. He'll help Sansa to 'escape', and then Littlefinger will capture her and have his own Catelyn like he has always wanted
Lannister
User ID: 0136334
Jul 27th 2:01 PM
I think Brady has hit upon it. Littlefinger wants his own little Catelyn-doll. Ewwwwwww. Who knew childhood psychoses would play so prominently in these stories.
Aaron
User ID: 0317884
Jul 27th 3:49 PM
*shiver*

That would be so awesome. Littlefinger is a little perv, I mean really... how do you get a name like Littlefinger? :)
joryCassel
User ID: 6033653
Jul 27th 4:21 PM
ok, i'm a pretty dumb guy so I've not yet seen the significance of the hairnet. It's a hairnet! What else is there? Yes, allow me to reiterate my previous claim that I'm fairly dim-witted...Hairnet? Oh and by the way, what the hell are RUSHES?

jc

Ran
Jul 27th 6:10 PM
Rushes are essentially reeds. You spread them liberally on a floor and they help insulate things. It also makes it easier to clean up a room, since most of the dust and the like sticks to them -- just sweep out the rushes and put in fresh ones.
joryCassel
User ID: 6033653
Jul 27th 6:55 PM
thanks ran, that's been bugging this lackwit child. Oh, RAN is a very good movie, Kurosawa was a king among directors. Yep.

jc
Arend
User ID: 8590713
Jul 27th 7:16 PM
My point was not the hairnet itself, but who gave it to Ser Dontos. I can't remember if it is the same friend he mentions as being away from KL and I don't have aCoK here with me.

BTW do we know who left KL with Littlefinger?

Also, if Littlefinger caught Sansa, I think he would want people to know about it, and to be able to boast about it. And in the end I think he would want Sansa to believe that it was _her_ choice to come to him.
Ran
Jul 27th 8:53 PM
It's not clear who gave it to him. He just states it's magic. Given the timing ... it probably came from whoever arrived with the Lannister-Tyrell force.

As to who left with Littlefinger, unknown, besides the Redwyne twins and Lothor Brune.
Rania
Jul 27th 8:59 PM
Is Sansa aware of the role Littlefinger played in her father's death?
Ran
Jul 27th 9:25 PM
She sure doesn't seem to. His role seems to have been kept quiet as much as possible -- the Small Council and so on.
Ants
User ID: 2240694
Jul 28th 0:27 AM
When I said what Dontos' intentions are, I was really wondering if anyone else believes Dontos might think the relationship between him and Sansa is going to be 'amorous'. I certainly don't like the way he's always trying to kiss Sansa on the mouth. What was Jhonquil and Florin's relationship?
Next 20 Messages