This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings III / The Wall

Rob
User ID: 0220464
Aug 1st 6:53 AM
By whom, and by what means was the Wall first built ?

(I'm too lazy to go through agot for the answer)
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Aug 1st 7:43 AM
"All I know is that the blood of the First Men flows in the veins of the Starks. The First Men built the Wall, as it's said they remember things otherwise forgotten." said the Old Bear, Jeor Mormont in GoT p654 US HB ed.

It was mentioned that the order of the Night's watch called the builders helped raise the Wall.

"Once, it was said, they quarried immense blocks of ice from frozen lakes deep in the haunted forest, dragging them south on sledges so that the Wall might be raised ever higher."

GoT p373 US HB Ed.

As far as how they stacked the blocks.

"The gaunt outlines of huge catapults and monstrous wooden cranes stood sentry up there, like the skeletons of great birds..." GoT p154 US HB ed
Ants
User ID: 2240694
Aug 2nd 5:19 AM
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Bran the builder had something to do with it as well?
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Aug 7th 6:56 AM
Yes, actually. But the quote I have is from SoS, no spoilers, though:

"Bradndon the builder had laid his huge foundation blocks along the heights wherever feasible..." SoS p336 UK HB ed.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 7th 7:08 AM
There's earlier as well, which clarifies things some:

"Thousands and thousands of years ago, Brandon the Builder had raised Winterfell, and some said the Wall." AGoT p. 202, U.S. Hardback

Even in the North there's some lack of certainty about whether he was the one who began building the Wall. He probably did, I think, but hard to tell.
Weasel
User ID: 2630464
Aug 7th 9:29 AM
I think that Bran the Builder built Winterfell in the Age of Heroes.....and probably added to the Wall, and probably other places as well (like Storm's End). But I have the belief that the Wall is older than even the men in the Age of Heroes.
I've never seen a timeline (official or fan-made), but I think the Age of Heroes was after the Long Night. Since the Wall was already up, then it must be older than Bran the Builder. It might even be older than any other legendary site in Westeros.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 7th 10:34 AM
The Age of Heroes was before the Long Night, actually. It was the 4,000+ year span of time following the Pact between the First Men and the children. Its end-date is not specified, I think that's from Maester Luwin, p. 617 and 618 in the U.S. _A Game of Thrones_ hardback.

In all probability, I do believe the Wall comes after the Long Night and not before.

As far as timeline goes, I posted a brief overview of what we know of Westerosi history ... somewhere.