This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings III / Dany's vision

Alex Paradi
User ID: 9433023
Aug 2nd 1:36 PM
One of Dany's visions shows Rhaegar with a woman and a baby talking about the child. He says about the baby 'his is the song of ice and fire'. They also name the child Aegon and say 'What better name for a King'.

Ser Jorah believes this vision to be of Rhaegar and his wife. Is it possible that it is of Rhaegar and Ned's sister? Would Rhaegars child Aegon already have been killed at this point?

Basically I'm wondering if the child in Dany's vision is actually Jon.

Padraig
User ID: 1223124
Aug 2nd 1:45 PM
GRRM has revealed that the child is actually Aegon. Doesn't stop most people believing that Jon is the song of ice and fire. What else could a combination of Stark and Targaryen be?
Jim
User ID: 9077913
Aug 2nd 2:35 PM
Maybe GRRM meant that Jon was originally named Aegon. That way he could tell the truth w/out giving the secret away.
Alex Paradi
Aug 2nd 3:04 PM
That was my original though - that they first named the child Aegon - either because Rhaegar's first Aegon was already killed by Jamie, or because he just loved that name soooo much.
Ghost
User ID: 9704903
Aug 3rd 8:36 AM
Couldn�t the Aegon in the vision have been Aegon the Conquerer? �The king of ashes� made me think so. That would, however, leave the question of the significance of that vision.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 3rd 8:47 AM
It's Rhaegar, Elia, and their infant son Aegon. That's what GRRM stated.
Alex Paradi
Aug 3rd 8:49 AM
Ran,
Well if you're going to be like THAT about it! Then I guess we'll just have to believe you :)

Ran
Aug 3rd 9:20 AM
Heh. Sorry, was caught between a dozen things when I posted. ;) I'll try and point to the relevant document when I get a chance. :)
Alex Paradi
Aug 4th 9:47 AM
What... no no no, It's OK. I DO actually believe you. I was just making fun of the fact that if GRRM stated it then there really isn't anything to debate.
Weasel
User ID: 2630464
Aug 4th 12:06 PM
What if the little Aegon wasn't killed? Supposedly Gregor Clegane dashed his head against the wall, but what if Princess Elia sent her child away to safety?
Ran
Aug 4th 12:38 PM
Well, GRRM also did say that the child (Aegon) was dead, if I remember correctly.

It may be that he's being tricky, but I don't think so in this case.