This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings III / An Agile Tyrion

Relic
User ID: 9328513
Aug 5th 4:46 AM
Has anyone noticed that in Jon's first chapter of AGOT, when he talks to Tyrion, the dwarf does a flip in the air, lands on his hands, and then pushes himself up and onto his feet. He never does it again, not for three novels. Nor does he show any signs of being too agile. Any comments?
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 5th 4:56 AM
That's not so much agility as balance, I think. Didn't surprise me -- though why in the world would he bother learning such tumbling tricks, even if it was just to surprise or subtley mock people, when he just _had_ to know that his father would mock him -- but wouldn't have much application in anything in real life.
Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Aug 5th 6:00 AM
No tumbling tricks from Tyrion in the third book. Damn;-)

Tywin's reaction to Tyrion doing flips. That i'd like to see.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Aug 5th 6:06 AM
I guess, that Tyrion can't very well jump down from any height because of his weak legs. Hence the "tumbling trick", which allows him to do so. For child Tyrion it was probably more humilating to be unable to tag after Jaime than to hear tha disparaging remarks.
Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Aug 5th 6:20 AM
Ah yes, a childish trick to get around. And he probably had Jaime around to deflect the worst of the remarks anyway.
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Aug 5th 2:30 PM
Your right Ran, balance is a better word for it. But somethign liek that could coem in handy in battle, especially when your samll and hard to hit. I guess it has no real relevance, just picking at straws.