This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings III / Tywin-a one-dimensional character?

Hodor
User ID: 0819174
Aug 7th 11:11 AM
I was wondering about Tywin.what are his motives and so on.is he really just a cold hearted man who only wants gold and power?and why did he marry a relative?it would make more sense to marry some lady from one of the important houses,so i think that if he married a relative it means that he loved her.so imagine this-one day his beloved wife die while she gives birth and the son that "killed" her turns out to be a dwarf.that could've influenced him.also,dont forget he was Aerys's hand,and left the job for unknown reasons.maybe he saw that Aerys was getting mad and left before Aerys would set his eyes on him for some reason?
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Aug 7th 12:38 PM
Well, he's always been ruthless, apparently, with the way he treated rebellion against his father.

Whether that means he was exactly as he is today, I couldn't say.
Padraig
User ID: 1118614
Aug 8th 3:22 PM
Tywin is more or less a 1-dimensional character at the moment. But I don't believe he'll stay that way. He's way too intriguing. Maybe some of Hodor's and others ideas will explain things.
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Aug 11th 9:28 PM
I really like Tywin, I think he's a great villian, and to some, hes the archetypical Westerosi lord, kind to his friends and ruthless to his enemies. I think his father was a bit of an idiot, and Tywin had to rebuild his families rep, which is why he's so ruthless