This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings III / The Vale & the Dragons

Rughead
User ID: 7399413
May 16th 9:38 PM
A thought. GRRM goes to great lengths to describe the mountainous cliffs, fortresses, crevices, precipices and altitude surrounding the Eastern Vale.

Sure, it provided a dramatic setting for Tyrion's travails, but is the stage being described in such detail because Dany and her 3 dragons will be at home - say in book 4?

Accessible and poorly defended toward the east by sea, yet extremely defensible against the south and west. The cliffs offer a natural hangout for dragon-types - you know, to return to after nighttime firestorm sortees. How long does it take a GRRM dragon to grow up? Years? Decades?

Pure conjecture. Unfounded prediction. Just a thought. My only hint is the great descriptive detail provided the locale, as though we will surely return.
LindaElane
User ID: 0276214
May 16th 9:56 PM
I will say that the Vale/Eyrie is by far, far, far my favorite setting ever created by any writer. GRRM did spend quite a lot of time on it. For ages I agrued that Tyrion would go back and fulfull his proimse to the Clansmen to give them the Vale, but these men appear to mostly be dead now, right? At any rate, Tyrion just does not seem to be going back soon.

I would love to see future parts of the story set in the Vale.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
May 17th 8:25 AM
Rughead, I e-mailed the question about the rate of growth for dragons a couple days ago. I'll post it up as soon as I get something back.

Knowing GRRM it will most likely be an ambiguous answer, but it may give us an idea of the possiblilities for books 4-6 and the dragons roles in them.

Concerning the Vale, It is a great setting, but I think Dany would keep the dragons on Dragonstone or maybe KL. Once they are "Mature" I'd imagine they can hang out where ever they want to.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
May 17th 1:10 PM
Well, the Vale is my #3 on my list of possible landing places for Dany's invasion.

Going slightly on a tangent, I've kinda wondered how plausible it would be for a ruling family to rule from such a place - sure, you're pretty much safe up there, but can you control what's going down in the Vale when you're so remote?
Ran
User ID: 0867924
May 17th 1:32 PM
There's the Gates of the Moon, which aren't so remote, since they're on the floor of the Vale of Arryn. I imagine it's not difficult to keep contact with the Vale through the Gates
sparhawk
User ID: 0436494
May 17th 1:35 PM
i know you read the post, ran.
D.M.M.M-F.
Ser Benjen
May 19th 7:02 AM
We'll It isn't much at all really but here's what GRRM responded to my questions about dragons:

<< While discussing Daenerys and her dragons with some other fans, a question arose. How long does it take a dragon to "mature"? >>

Good question.

<<In what place, if any, has there been an accumulation of dragonlore?>>

Valyria. The Citadel. Dragonstone. Probably some of the Free Cities as well. Maybe Asshai in the far east.

<<I hope I get the chance to catch a book signing or reading somewhere in my area. >>

Looks like I'll be touring in November, but I don't know what cities they'll send me to.

So there you have it.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
May 19th 11:14 AM
Argh. How frustrating. ;)

Could you send that along, Ser Benjen? :)
Ser Benjen
May 19th 11:37 AM
It's on the way Ran. What can I say, I tried...
Son of Hot Pie!!!
User ID: 0276214
May 19th 9:46 PM
Rughead,

I think he elaborated on the Vale for the sake of context and in layman terms . . . a cool setting!!!

He's gone to great lengths to show each Kingdom as unique yet interesting.

As for the dragons . . . well, so far Dany has been meandering around a lot and she's impatient. I don't think the dragons will be like the big ones from the past when if they arrive in Westeros in SOS.

Remember, THE SEED IS STRONG!!!