This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / Bronn - where is he from

Next 20 Messages
Thorfinn
User ID: 9906923
Apr 7th 4:06 PM
Where is Bronn from? I do not remember much of his description except he is somewhat slender but, muscular and he has dark hair. Can anyone elaborate? He is definately brave and a good warrior/swordsman. Seems to perfer little armor. Does not seem dumb. I have a felling he will become more and more of a main charcter. He has already made some big involvements. Everyone seems to think is around for just money. There must be something else. He risked his life to fight for Tyrion and did not asked to get paid but, I do ont think he would object to any money either. It does look like he wants something though for he did get knighted.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Apr 7th 4:51 PM
Oh, he's there for the money, have no doubt. All he wants in $$$. But he's probably a little loyal, in his own way. He likes Tyrion, I'm sure about that. And he's willing to die for Tyrion as well. Going to fight against Vardys - now that was a pretty big chance. He couldn't know how well the man fought. It takes courage to do that.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Apr 7th 5:01 PM
I think it's more accurate to say that he was willing to _kill_ for Tyrion. :o)
Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Apr 7th 6:17 PM
He is willing to risk his life for money but there is a certain carefree attitude to him IMO. He sticks with Tyrion because Tyrion doesn�t limit his fun. Perfect boss for Bronn.
Rughead
User ID: 0415304
Apr 7th 9:20 PM
Thorfinn, I agree.

The guy seems to have a significant future in the series.
Dirjj
User ID: 1954724
Apr 8th 2:39 AM
Come on, this is Fantasy. Bronn is the orphaned heir of a deceased Riverlord.

ab
Brady
User ID: 0721754
Apr 8th 2:59 AM
He's a bit of a gambler, willing to risk his life for money. And everyone knows the Lannisters have plenty of money
I, Claudius
User ID: 0505634
Apr 8th 7:47 AM
He is risking his life for money and a knighthood. Money it's important in Westeros but honor and social position are even more.

It will be interesting to see how he will react to Tyrion's falling in disgrace in front of his father (no words of recognition for Tyrion in the Victory Feast in KL). Will Bronn leave Tyrion side now that he has achieved honor and (let's suppose) money, or will he gamble his gains one more time staying at Tyrion's side waiting for an even better chance to improve his situation. A true gambler knows when to withdraw from the game, but also knows which is the winning hand (and Tyrion maybe a very good "Hand").

BTW, Tyrion didn't seem to have a great trust in Bronn at the last moments in ACOK. Wounded and unable to fend for himself, he called for... Pod!.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1502094
Apr 8th 10:48 AM
Good points, Claudius. Bronn would really show me something if he stayed on with Tyrion. My guess is that he would have to sacrifice an awful lot in order to do that.

In terms of his "duel" with the Queen's Choice in the Vale, I don't think it concerned Bronn too much how talented his opponent might be. That was more a matter of Bronn having so much confidence in his own abilities. He has undoubtedly come to believe he's one of the best swordsmen in the land. And who's to argue with that?
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Apr 8th 3:19 PM
I heard a good quote from The Ninth Gate. A gentleman said that there is nothing more reliable in this world than a man whose loyalty can be bought for cash. There is a certain logic to that.
Brady
Apr 8th 8:48 PM
About whether Bronn will stick with Tyrion, I think he will, but not out of any sense of loyalty. It is unlikely that Bronn will find another patron of Tyrions rank, therefore his hopes rest with Tyrions fortunes. Even if Tyrion is shunted into the background by his family, he is still an important noble with a lot of money.
What about the mountain clansmen?
Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Apr 9th 5:41 AM
Possibly. Except if Cersei tries to isolate Tyrion from all of his allies. Buying off Bronn would be one step in that venture. Were we told what the mountain clans were doing while Tyrion was laid up?
labor
User ID: 0394114
Apr 9th 4:17 PM
Those who serve Cersei have to scrape for her - something Bronn seems extremely unwilling to do for any money (i.e. also his insolent posture versus Lord Tywin).
OTOH, IMHO he definitely could go for a clever, rich, influential employer with a sense of humor - i.e. either Littlefinger or maybe a Tyrell.
Thorfinn
User ID: 9906923
Apr 10th 9:51 AM
It may be foolish but, If he leaves Tyrion's side he might be the next POV. If he stays noway.

I think there is a lot more to him than we think. Would not Dunk seem to be a lot like Bronn if we did not get Dunk's POV.

Bronn could very well be an important person who might be linked to the Martells or Varys. Bronn could be a secret protector of Targaryens. I think Tyrion is Targaryen. I know its a long shot but, hey it would be cool. A targaryen from the family who sluaghtered the Targaryens in mask of allies.
Flayed Man
User ID: 9147853
Apr 10th 7:10 PM
bronn hmm he wants $$$, sex, and other things, but i do agree padrig that even a money grubbing mercenaries can be well as you would say "loyal"
and as of his origin, well cause robert was black haired, and if is bronn is black haired well i guess he is from south but who knows he might be northerner as well. say does anybody know his swordsmen skills? such as what kind of sword does he use how he moves ect.?
Brady
Apr 10th 7:56 PM
thorfinn, I dont think Bronn is a spy or something, he met Tyrion by chance. As to were he is from, any ideas? He definetely doesnt fight like a knight(wears little armour, relies on speed as much as strength)Has it ever been said that he is from Westeros?He could be a Free Cities man
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Apr 11th 1:58 AM
Well, we never hear Tyrion comment upon a peculiar accent of Bronn's...so I doubt he is from the Free Cities.
If he is, he must have been in Westeros for a long while.
Gilathas
User ID: 8450833
Apr 27th 6:01 PM
Don't underestimate Bronn! I think he will play a significant role in the next book! He is wise, strog, good fighter! he got what it takes, and I don't think he is loyal against athers than himself..
Flayed Man
User ID: 9147853
Apr 28th 10:18 AM
well he does have a wits. although he is loyal to himself, he does have certain measure of affection for tyrion. so i dont think it is like "get paid and slit tyrion's throat" but he may do this. perchance in small chance when lord tywin is cornered, and they are about to lose i bet bronn will behead lord tywin and others and present the head to victor. there is a reward in this so this can be a high chance where he might do.

Also didn't anybody said that his moves were like "dancing" like syrio? i know the weapons are different but I do remember someone saying he moves almost like him as if dancing.
MAD-ness
User ID: 3612744
Jun 3rd 2:43 AM
Well, when the mountainmen first attacked Cat's party, Bronn tore into them on the back of a horse with his sword. Not like most nights, but I doubt the braavos fight on horse back like that (they might, I just didn't get that impression). He was also able to trade blows with the knight he killed (Ser Vardis?). He does fight in a different style than most of the knights, but I think he probably is Westerosi, just trained some with a good master of arms or perhaps someone from the eastern contintent, or perhaps he is dornish and used to light armor. Anyways, I sort of got the impression that his style is more like a scaled down version of what the knights seem to use. What we have seen of Jon in combat shows him to be swifter and to rely less on "hacking" than Ser vardis or the other "knights."

Who knows where he is from. :)
Next 20 Messages