This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / Bizare Romances

Next 20 Messages
Omer
User ID: 0485244
Aug 31st 4:59 PM
You know, the one thing that's kinde' missing from ASoIaF are the big romances. I mean sure we had Ned and Catelyn, but other then that the closest we got was a 13 years old bedding someone who could be her grandfather(probably), and of course Tyrion and his hoar. So let's come up with other, equally bizarre romances:

Robb & Brienne - she likes Kings, he's a King. Sure, he's kinde' engaged, but that doesn't seem to stop ASoIaF characters.

Bran and the Reed girl( I forgot her name and too tired to look it up) - she's only 7 years older then him. In ASoIaF, that's practically the same age:-)

Arya and Robert Aryn - they say opposites are good matches...:-)

Dany and Tyrion - they both share a fascination with Dragons.

Loras and Joffrey - shit, this can actually happen :-)
Carol
User ID: 9405543
Aug 31st 6:00 PM
I've always thought that a Loras-Joffrey affair might be the best thing that could happen to the little shit.

I would like to see Catelyn with the Hound. All he's ever needed is the love of a good woman, and Catelyn just oozes goodness from every pore. And she obviously likes the strong silent type.

I've also said that I could see a match between Bran and Shireen, Stannis' ugly daughter. She seems to have quasi-prophetic dreams also, and I could see them as a pair of powerful seers.
labor
User ID: 8479113
Aug 31st 7:20 PM

Big romances are lacking in ASOIAF? Isn't the story founded on a romance which defied all obsatcles in it's path and caused tragic consequences? I.e. Rhaegar and Lyanna. Sure it is kind of in the backround, but sooner or later we will get all the pieces.

And then, of course, another highly controversial romance, but very real for all that - Cersei and Jaime. Whatever else we think about them, they risked their lives for 14 years just to ramain together.

Ned and Catelyn - a love initially born out of duty, which flourished with time. There are also intriguing glimpses or Ned's possible romantic relationship with Ashara Dayne.

Dany and Khal Drogo - maybe a romance, maybe a simple infatuation... BTW the Khal wasn't older than thirty.

Tyrion and Tysha - again difficult to say, but something definitely was there. In any case I don't think that Tysha was a whore.

IMHO, ASOIAF just brims with romances, past and present, they just aren't in the focus too much.
Donald S. Crankshaw
User ID: 9802413
Sep 1st 3:21 PM
I don't know whether Rhaegar and Lyanna are a romance. I'm still not convinced that Lyanna was an entirely willing participant, whatever others might think. However, I'm willing to give that Rhaegar the benefit of the doubt and say that he did it to fulfill some prophecy. That makes me a little bit more sympathetic to him, but certainly not approving.
Zelticgar
User ID: 9328513
Sep 1st 5:30 PM
Hello. One of the best story lines in the series involves Sansa and the Hound. They are beginning to grow together. I cannot wait to find out the where abouts of the Hound and see how Sansa attempts her escape aided by Dontas on Joffrey's wedding night.
Dragonlord
User ID: 0784604
Sep 3rd 2:48 PM
How about Tyrion and Catelyn. She owes him big time, after all.
labor
User ID: 8785553
Sep 3rd 2:57 PM

He-he. How about Jaime and Catelyn. Now there is a possibility for lots of dramatic tension and tragedy and at least they are in the same vicinity. But Tyrion and Catelyn would be interesting as well.
Min
User ID: 9433023
Sep 3rd 3:41 PM
labor, were you joking? I proposed Jaime and Catelyn as a _real_ possibility once. It is one of my weirdest theory, but there it is... :-)
I mean it.
Moreta
User ID: 9565813
Sep 4th 1:09 PM
Nah, I agree. I've thought about Jaime and Catelyn. If he manages to escape Riverrun with Catelyn (against her will) and goes to KL, I'd love to see Cersei's face. :)
Min
User ID: 9433023
Sep 5th 9:31 AM
I'd love to see _Cat's_ face... ;-)))
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Sep 6th 9:30 AM
Don't make me drag out my favourite looney Catelyn match _once again_... :o)
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Sep 7th 8:35 AM
No! No, keep it away.......

<fleeing this thread until that theory is banished>
KAH
Sep 7th 9:42 AM
Well, I just came up with another bizarre match;

***drumrolls***

Tyrion and Sansa! (can't get much more bizarre than that, no?)

If this is supposed to be anything resembling plausible, Tywin must still want Stark blood in Winterfell, just firmly under Lannister rule (with Sansa marrying his son, strengthening connections). That rules out any Bolton take over, so...well! I don't think it will happen, but...

The nifty part is that if Sandor doesn't exactly match Sansa's Man of her Dreams, Tyrion must be ever farther from that image.
Also, it could make an interesting triangle with Sandor, since he hates Tyrion already, probably even more so now.
Padraig
User ID: 2059234
Sep 7th 1:13 PM
Sansa does not seem much use to the Lannisters anymore. There is not going to be a Jaime Sansa swop. So KAH, why not marry her off to Tyrion? Marriage seems the best solution to what to do with her. I think at the end of aSoS if the Lannisters are victorious over the Starks then they will marry Sansa to someone. Tyrion is not going to get many offers with the right blood.
Flayed Man
User ID: 8771373
Sep 9th 0:51 AM
Hey padrig I highly doubt that Lannisters going to be become victorious against starks.
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Sep 9th 9:12 AM
Sansa is still the key to Jaime. If Catelyn frees Jaime, anything can happen to Sansa. If Jaime isn't freed, why would they go out of their way to annoy the Starks?
KAH
Sep 9th 10:32 AM
Well, I considered an "it's all over" scenario, where the Lannisters don't have any particular use for Sansa more, and decides to settle the matter of her future peacefully.
Telisiane
User ID: 2233684
Sep 13th 10:58 PM
How about Asha Greyjoy and Robb? I have just developed a nutty theory that Robb ends up on Pyke at the end of ASOS, as hostage/ward of Balon. (Has a nice symmetry, doesn't it?) And there is just no way that Robb is gonna marry a Frey. If he survives ASOS, that is.
Padraig
User ID: 2372774
Sep 15th 12:03 PM
Asha doesn't sound like the marrying type. But then that's what makes it bizare.
Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Sep 15th 2:33 PM
Hmmm. I thought I already posted this here, but it seems to me that Asha and Brienne would be just a perfect match. :)
Next 20 Messages