This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / Bran's Insanity

Kevin
User ID: 1766884
Oct 5th 6:57 PM
Is Bran going insane? There appears to be some evidence that he might. Opinions please.
Ran
User ID: 0283314
Oct 5th 7:20 PM
Mrm ... evidence?

Cite it first. ;)

The only thing I can think of is that he's getting very used -- and sometimes confused -- to sharing experiences with Summer.

I don't think that's madness.

Rickon, now ... well, not madness, exactly, but he's losing his humanity.
Min
User ID: 1446254
Oct 6th 3:27 AM
Insanity is _very_ close to high sensibility. Bran became very sensible for seeing the unseen. That could turn into madness. He has to learn to control it, to guide it without loosing the ability. That may lead him across the border if he fails, but may also make him into a great man if he succeeds.
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Oct 6th 4:07 AM
Well, he seems to have gotten some sort of control of the wolf bond - he can switch it on and off when awake.
His dreams are another matter, but the wolf dreams does not seem to bother him overmuch, and the nightmares about Jaime are just that - regular nightmares.
Min
Oct 6th 5:24 AM
and the three-eyed crow?
doctor doom
User ID: 9384353
Oct 6th 10:29 AM
I don't believe Bran's going insane. As mentioned above, he obviously has some sort of wolf-bond to Summer, that perhaps is coming to life due to the Starks' old blood with the North. The three-eyed crow is some sort of messanger or harbinger for Bran's future, which I believe lies beyond the Wall. Perhaps Bran will play some major role in the battle against the Others because of these strange occurances.
Min
Oct 6th 10:49 AM
I do not think the bonding has something to do with the Stark's old blood of the north.

Meera and Jojen know bonding as something not really unusual. We have evidence of a wildling bonded to an animal (the eagle Jon sees), and, imho, Dany is or will be bonded to her dragons.
KAH
User ID: 9209903
Oct 6th 10:53 AM
Perhaps the three-eyed crow is something within Bran himself, and not an outside factor.
Sort of like an immuno system, protecting him from what could hurt him, for instance changes due to the stirring magic within him.
It seemed to act like some sort of guardian angel, when Bran struggled to wake up from his coma.
Min
Oct 7th 3:53 AM
another good definition. In fact, I do not even know if I think that I am right or that you are, Kay. :-)
doctor doom
User ID: 1529574
Oct 7th 10:15 AM
Yeah, but doesn't the three-eyed crow tell Bran to travel north? I could be mistaken, but if that's the case, traveling into the heart of the Others doesn't seem too safe. Perhaps for some other, mysterious purpose?
Padraig
User ID: 8562343
Oct 7th 1:26 PM
I suppose the most likely explantion is that there is someone in the North to teach him. Whether a Wilding or one of the Children I don't know.
DarthDarthBinks
User ID: 1696934
Oct 7th 8:44 PM
No evidence for this statement of course, but I think a character like Aemon has to be around for a reason. The reason is that he is (at least I think so) the three eyed crow. He's been around for 100 years, probably remembers when magic was more prevalent, and must serve some purpose. I think Bran and Jojen will be hanging with him for awhile next book.
Padraig
User ID: 8520773
Oct 8th 3:06 PM
A new idea this. I wonder.