This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / new book?

Amanda
User ID: 1258494
Jan 9th 10:47 PM
I know I must be far from the first person to ask this, but does anyone know when the next book is coming out? I really enjoyed the first two, and as I did with the second book, can barely wait to find out where the stories will lead in the next one!
Ser Benjen
User ID: 9844073
Jan 10th 6:27 AM
Hey Amanda! There isn't a definitive date for the US release of a Storm of Swords yet. Amazon.co.uk has it set for July 5, 2000. If you want more details see the "US CoK Paperback Release" thread, in the "Announcements" topic.

Amanda
Jan 10th 1:22 PM
Thanks for the info, Sir Benjen. Speaking of the UK version of Amazon, I am surprised at the books that they have that their US counterpart does not. I was looking for a Dragonlance book that the US Amazon did not have and just happened to stumble onto the UK Amazon web site, and they did have the very same book.
Ser Gary
User ID: 9328513
Jan 10th 1:48 PM
Amanda, I get the distinct impression from some of our European friends that the Fantasy genre doesn't get the respect it deserves on that continent. I'm not so sure it's all that respected over here (the USA) either. Which is really too bad, because IMHO writers like GRRM, GGK, Melanie Rawn and Tad Williams have taken the genre to new levels of quality and maturity.
Amanda
Jan 11th 9:31 PM
I really can't comment on that, I have never heard that. That is interesting though. One thing about people in the US, most people tend to think that sci-fi and fantasy books are made-up, silly trash. In my opinion, if you can be lured by dragons and swords and what-not, you just have no imagination. :) A lot of thought goes into those books, just like it goes into any other genre. Oh well, some of us lucky few know some secrets others are blind to.
Amanda
Jan 11th 9:38 PM
You know, after reading a few of these messages in a vain attempt to join into a conversation, I have decided that some of these people are just overanalyzing a bit. When you take a book and put it under a microscope, sometimes it takes away from the big picture. I read the second book over the summer, and while it was great, I just don't treat it like the bible.. Oh well, everyone gets wound up over something, and that's cool if it's a character in a book, I suppose.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Jan 11th 9:44 PM
Different strokes for different folks. ;) Some of the attempts at mapping out the interalized thoughts and feelings of certain characters hold practically no interest for me (Sandor, Sandor and Sansa, Theon, etc.) and obviously quite a lot for others.

At the same time, I fully expect that some regulars shake their heads over the arguments concerning who tried to kill Bran, who is Varys working for, etc.

The books offer a lot of material. I don't think there's anyone who gets involved in every single talked-to-death topic.
Canadian
User ID: 0053014
Jan 12th 2:23 PM
I have been to a number of links, looking for
more, yes more information, on the THIRD book.
some people say it will arrive in a staggered style, four chapters at a time in the spring of 2000. others say that it will be released entirely in July/August of 2000. Still others say it is has a title of: A Storm Of Swords and others say it has a title of: A Dance With Dragons

now I don't know what to believe and I have waited a long time. Oh well.
Amanda
Jan 12th 3:34 PM
The title Dances With Dragons was on the inside flap of the book though, so that would be the title that I would tend to believe. It must be difficult to write such complex books. He has so many characters I would think it would take a while to develop each one just the way he wants.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Jan 12th 4:02 PM
Um? The next book is called "A Storm of Swords" - it's directly from Mr. Martin's mouth. He is now supposedly on the "home stretch" of a final re-write and should be turning the MS to the publishers any day now. The book should be out some time in summer. Four chapters were sold on ebay, but the buyers had to promise GRRM not to desseminate them.
Ran
Jan 12th 4:20 PM
Canadian,

Check Announcements for the U.S. CoK Paperback Release thread, which has a summary of the most recent news from Martin and a link to the actual mail.

And, as labor says, the title is in fact _A Storm of Swords_. The title _A Dance of Dragons_ was the tenative title from early on, before Mr. Martin realized he needed more books to complete the story.

Also, there's going to be six books in the series. Total. No more, no less. No neverending-saga ala Goodkind and Jordan.
Amanda
Jan 13th 1:37 PM
Well excuse me for ignorantly assuming that the author might stick with what he said in the beginning. I really am not concerned with what he calls his books. Sorry to offend you die-hard cult fans for not following his news as closely as you.
Ran
Jan 13th 2:05 PM
No need to cop an attitude, Amanda.

I think the problem came from your phrasing, "...Dances With Dragons was on the inside flap of the book though, so that would be the title that I would tend to believe."

It's easy to assume, from the way you put it, that the fact that _A Storm of Swords_ is the title you'll see everywhere on the board (including the overall thread 'A Storm of Swords' at the entrance), since it's just fans saying it it doesn't matter

If you find the _A Game of Thrones_ hardback, you'll see the flap calling the _second_ book _A Dance with Dragons_, showing that the publisher's weren't able to keep up with Mr. Martin's revisions of his story at that time, and weren't able to manage it for the second.
Amanda
Jan 13th 9:55 PM
Yes, yes, so I heard several times now. Thanks.
canadian
User ID: 1572034
Jan 18th 1:46 PM
thank-you for your help

now I know what title to look out for.

canadian
Jan 18th 1:46 PM
thank-you for your help

now I know what title to look out for.

canadian
Jan 18th 2:16 PM
hello again I went to the WESTROS website and it displays e-mails from George Martin. In his latest tid bit he says " I am still working on A STORM OF SWORDS" So now I do not know who to believe!!!????? oh well. I guess I will just keep a list of all the POSSIBLE titles. So far I have 5 possible titles. I will just have to wait or it would be interesting if I started taking bets.
Ran
Jan 18th 2:22 PM
Mrm. He is still working on it. The manuscript hasn't been sent in yet? But it will be published sometime in the Summer?

I don't exactly see what the problem is. First book, _A Game of Thrones_, second book, _A Clash of Kings_, third book, _A Storm of Swords_ (still in progress.)

Hope that helps. :)
Ami
User ID: 2742064
Jan 19th 11:56 AM
Amanda, if you didn't spend your time here blasting people for over-analyzing books and taking corrections personally, would realize that Ran has an excellent website w/a page titled "SoSpakeMartin" that has a lot of this info in it. And you'd, also, realize that Ran is the administrator of this board and ASoIF guru.
Relic
User ID: 9308123
Jan 19th 3:03 PM
Uh oh. Nothing I like more than a sharp tongued lass Amanda. Though a wise tactician chooses his/her battleground in places that offer them advantages. Re-think your approach sweetheart.