This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / BEST LINE II

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Dirjj
User ID: 6960173
Jan 25th 2:39 PM
This was the last entry on BEST LINES - from the A CLASH OF KINGS topic:

Maeglin
User ID: 9259363
Oct 25th 2:38 AM

Theon- I liked you better when you were Esgred
Asha- That's fair I liked you better when you were nine.

"No one wants you for their king.Sorry."
-Renly Baratheon

"A man should never refuse a peach."
-Renly Baratheon

"To his face we call him Lord Eunuch"
-Littlefinger
Dirjj
Jan 25th 2:39 PM
I wonder if the phrase, "A man should never refuse a peach" foretells something?

ab
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Jan 26th 1:01 AM
"Ah, fuck you Ned."
-Robert Baratheon
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Jan 26th 1:37 AM
"It's Kingslayer not Kinslayer you fool of fools" - Renly , T dont have my copy of A Clash Of Kings on Hand, but its after the Great Melee. Not only is this line a vision of the future, hes also refering to Robert Jordan's Kinslayer.
Snake
User ID: 0317884
Jan 26th 1:23 PM
Don't have my book with me but the last exchange between Ned and Cersei in the Godswood has to be one of the best in the series.

Ned's refusal to sign Robert's death warrant for Dany. God how I loved that part.

Arya when she told Snasa something about orange on your face your grace. I loved that.

Stannis when he told his Maestar to change the letter from Jaime to Ser Jaime. Really showed his character there.

So many that I haven't got the time.
Dirjj
Jan 26th 2:30 PM
What? Martin copying from Jordan. Heaven's no, but it can't be.

ab
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Jan 26th 9:48 PM
Copying? No, refering too.
Aerian
User ID: 1557854
Jan 26th 10:17 PM
And denigrating him in the process I might add < smiles gleefully>. I certainly preferred the Kingslyer to the Kinslayer's recent incarnation.
Sorrowful Man
User ID: 0171704
Jan 27th 4:20 PM
Actually, there was also a Kinslayer in the second Thomas Covenant Series by Stephen R. Donaldson.

And the best line was when Theon was hitting on his sister.
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Jan 29th 10:32 AM
have we forgotten the classic - "If I could prey with my cock" line?
C
Or - Cerse�: "And when are you going to free Jaime? He's worth a hundred of you"
"Don't tell Catelyn Stark. We don't have a hundred of me to spare"
or "How I have yearned to the sound of your sweet voice"

or Shae's line when Tyrion tells her to morn for him if he dies
"How will you know? you'll be dead"
"I'll know"
"I believe you will"

and speaking of Tyrion's death.
Bronn "And if you die?"
"Then one person will morn me with true sadness( something like that) the money dies with me"

or...
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Jan 30th 1:30 AM
There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.
-Varys in AGoT page 635 paperback.
Byron Jan 31st 11:26 PM
This is mostly favorite scenes, but oh well:
That conversation between Mormont and Jon Snow about Maester Aemon's history and Robb's kingship, especially the last three lines.

Have to agree with Snake: Ned and Cersei in the godswood (with the revolver. No, wait, never mind.) is one of the best scenes in the books.

Tyrion telling Bronn about Tysha really made me feel for him.

Both prologues are fabulous and well done.

The riot where they end up chanting "Bread! Bread!".

Tyrion fighting in King's Landing, esp. the knight with the gauntlet with the hand still in it.

And finally, Tyrion's line when he gives the saddle for Bran, which I can't remember fully.
Padraig
User ID: 9461303
Feb 1st 1:27 PM
I don't ever remember a favourite scene topic. So...

Ned's death in aGoT. Looking back at it now it was inevitable but wow it was brillant reading. A great character dead.

Catelyn's scene with Jaime in aCoK. Revealed a lot but not not nearly enough. Made Jaime a very interesting character. Catelyn begins to see things as they truely are. I loved it.
Moreta
User ID: 0701364
Feb 2nd 0:41 AM
The Tower of Joy scene. The three Kingsguard carrying out their duties even though they knew they would die. Absolutely brilliant.

The ending of AGOT. Wow! Dany with her dragons and the Dothraki practically prostate.

And hmm...maybe that scene when Tyrion needles Joffrey when they first meet in ACOK. Something like "Your royal father? He was the king before you."
Omer
User ID: 9551723
Feb 2nd 1:39 PM
Favorite scenes, in no particular order:
(Many involving Tyrion, but that's "purely accidental")
1. Tyrion in the nest. Talking about how the 'blue calls him' was scary. That entire scene was scary.
2. Rob Aryn sucking from his mother's nipples - that was an eeeeeeeeew scene.
3. Bronn vs. Vardys.
4. Ned Stark and Robert arguing about sending the murderers after Dany.
5. Visarys's death.
6. Tyrion telling Bronn about Tysha.
7. The Death of Ned Stark. As my friend noted, he built a way out... made you think Ned was gonna make it, and then killed him. Brilliant.
8. The first End of AGOT - "King in the North"
9. The second end of AGOT - Dany and te Dragons. I don't know about you guys, but I was shocked. Nominee for best scene inthe series.
10. The beginning of ACOK.
11. Joff's name day.
12. Davos's 2 first appearences.
13. All the Renly scenes.
14. Tyrion and Lancel.
15. Joff punnishing Sansa.
16. THE RIOTS
17. Theon letting us know Bran's alive.
18. Cate and Jaime - nominee best scene.
19. Tyrion, Cersei and Yaya.
20. The Battle, Tyrion's perspective b4 his injury.
21. After the battle, Joff getting engaged to Margery.
22. Nominee best scene - Tyrion badly injured.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Feb 2nd 2:11 PM
No mention yet of the brief scene which completely took my breath away and made me an eternal fan of Martin's writing:

Ned's dream flashback to the meeting between himself and his comrades against the three Kingsguard before the Tower of Joy. Powerfully written, and the most vivid dream sequence I've ever read.
Dirjj
Feb 2nd 3:15 PM
Hmm, what about Theon on the ship with the Captain's daughter . . . . he he he he, had to throw that one in. All the guys were thinking it, but are still suffering from John Rocker Shock to utter it.

ab
Zer0
User ID: 1432154
Feb 2nd 8:54 PM
Scene where Littlefinger leads Ned to the brothel and Catelyn:

"Littlefinger smiled. 'Leave Lord Varys to me, sweet lady. If you will permit me a small obscenity�and where better for it than here�I hold the man's balls in the palm of my hand.' he cupped his fingers, smiling. 'Or would, if he were a man, or had any balls. You see, if the pie is opened, the birds begin to sing, and Varys would not like that. Were i you, I would worry more about the Lannisters and less about the eunuch.'"

Probably my favorite paragraph in the series.
Snake
User ID: 0317884
Feb 3rd 10:26 AM
Maester Luwin's death. That was sad.
DrEaM
User ID: 1432154
Feb 3rd 5:31 PM
Hi new to the board,

"If I was a crow I could fly down and peck off his stupid fat pouty lips." Arya- American Clash pg 667
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages