This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / The final picture.

Mr_Psych0
User ID: 1174374
Mar 6th 2:56 AM
I was just wondering what everyone things the big picture of ASOIAF is. I mean beyond the liitle conflicts that we have seen already.

Personally i see something pretty obvious.
Dead guys can only die properly by fire.
Dragins breath fire.
~GASP~
so i reckon that we will get to a situation where the dead run rampart and the dragons will do what the do best and kill stuff.

I mean not to say that misalandre's religion wont help. we'll see eh?
anyone else have any theories?
Swithin
User ID: 0289604
Mar 6th 3:52 AM
I feel that the nature of humanity will be questioned in a big way. Will we have a champion? Possibly Jon, possibly everyone. I know it's been done before, but I find GRRM to be so apt in his writing that his would be the stand-out in the field, just as the Odyssey is for me oddly enough the model of practical chivalry.

I feel that there will be a war sponsored by supernatural benefactors, the Other-king/creator, Melisandre's religion, even the magic behind Dany's dragons. This might all lead back to the creators of the Children of the Forest, the First Men, and the Andals. What will have to be proven is that humanity is ready to 'take responsibility for itself'. And yes, if you haven't guessed, I was a big fan of Babylon 5. What I like best about GRRM is that all his characters live in the inhabitable shades of grey, not the vacuous white and black. Humanity, in and of its bad parts and good, must affirm its 'cognizence'.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it *doesn't*.
Strategon
User ID: 9308123
Mar 6th 4:43 AM
My theorie is that Jon and Daeny will be a couple in the end, and the last conflict between fire and ice they will fight together ... and win, of course.
Zer0hour
User ID: 1432154
Mar 6th 6:13 PM
Just because everyone wants the Dragons to kill the Others and want Jon and Dany to either get together or fight each other, it won't happen. Think of everything you've predicted...c'mon think...okay stop. Has it happened? If it has than you are either psycho...er...psychic I mean...or it's happened very differently than you've imagined. GRRM is too unpredictable. Think of what you want to happen and it won't.

My predictions: The Others are creatures of good and will kill the evil dragons, Jon isn't the hero we all want him to be and will die within the next book or two, Tyrion isn't the closet good-guy but is a true evil-ass mofo, Sansa will NOT ever escape King's Landing and will be the subject of brutal rape for the rest of her life, and Robb and the North will LOSE to the lannisters and never make a dramatic comeback. Davos will be the champion cuz no one thinks much of him, and Dany will die by the fourth book. Okay!!! Got it!?! The exact opposite of what he think will happen.
Padraig
User ID: 0317884
Mar 7th 1:33 PM
Okay, but maybe GRRM _wants_ us to think the opposite to what we originally thought was going to happen will happen when really what we originally thought was going to happen is _actually_ going to happen. Got that;)
Carol
User ID: 9349783
Mar 7th 6:20 PM
I think that the "damaged" people will come forward and be the heroes, because they will be able to get past their own egos to see where the real danger lies -- Tyrion the deformed, Bran the crippled, Jon, Gendry and Mia, the bastards, Sandor the maimed,Brianna the misfit, Mormont the exiled.
Zer0hour
User ID: 1432154
Mar 7th 9:00 PM
Okay, or maybe GRRM _wants_ us to think the _opposite_ to the opposite to what we originally thought will happen. IE- We think one thing will happen so we believe the opposite will happen so we think that the original will happen as GRRM thinks we will think he wants us think the opposite will happen when in reality we don't think but we know that the opposite will happen because he thinks we think the original will happen cuz he thinks that we'll think that he wants us to know the opposite so we suspect to think that it will be the original, when it will really be the opposite.

Get all that? Really? Then could you explain it to me cuz i lost myself...
Aerian
User ID: 1557854
Mar 7th 9:39 PM
Sort of like that scene in the Princess Bride? Look, a Rodent Of Unusual Size? <quickly further scrambles Zer0's logic.>
Thorfinn
User ID: 9906923
Mar 8th 10:14 AM
I want to say this first; I think a lot of characters that we like and don't like will die. Duh right? Well, I think both Jon and Dany are destined to do great deeds and destructive ones as well. I believe Dany will have to fight and kill many people in order to regain her throne (she thinks its her by right and treachery and she does have a point) but, will find out after much killing is done that there is a much greater danger on its way. This how she meets Jon and joins his cause "to eliminate the Others". Duh right? Jon has his own faults too; he will by close to force have to try and breach the wall, after he has already married and had children. By breaching the wall to save the wildlings he has to kill some to a lot of the watchman. All this because wildlings and the Watch are enimies. Thats the real ugliness. It would happen even if he would not be there but, Jon will find a way that hurt the least amount of Watchmen and wildings. He knows the Wall. So in the end Jon either dies with a blue/purple flower marking his grave in ICE or he choses to live with the Wildlings with Dany north of the wall. Tyrion (might be Targaryen) marries the Grey water watch lady (meria? who might be Targaryen -either her or Tyrion-). And the land becomes two different countries. Westeros and north of the wall land where the Children are welcome. Arya (marries Gendry or a wildling), Bran (will live with the Children as a wolf), the other Grey water watch boy dies giving Bran some vital information and Tarly (measter, but dies learning the secret to the horn) are the unsung heros in the end.
Padraig
User ID: 9014973
Mar 8th 1:44 PM
Tyrion and Meera marrying. Hmm, that would be interesting. I hereby christen it the Lost Targaryen Completeness Theory.

Zerohour, I will have to get back to you. Everything has gone very blurry.