This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / I loathe the Imp.

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Snake
User ID: 1404584
Mar 14th 9:43 PM
Just wondering how many out there can't stand Tyrion Lannister. I know that alot of you really adore the twisted little monkey, but I'm curious as to how many feel the way I do.

This is not a Tyrion bashing place so no need to jump to his defense. Besides, I've heard it all before.
Relic
User ID: 9328513
Mar 15th 2:07 AM
Yak.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Mar 15th 7:44 AM
Snake, what about Tyrion do you loathe?

I think he's a credibly complex character. He's lucky, shrewd, arrogant, ugly, horny and proud of it. Yet, at times, wise, merciful, vulnerable, and kind. He's got faults and virtues, like all of us do.

I think he'll stay on the same team he's always been on, his own.
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Mar 15th 1:14 PM
Snake, you're a riot!

I personally like Tyrion, because he's an island of optimism in a sea of pessimism. He's a pebble of humor in a quarry of seriousness. He's a beacon of light in a world of darkness. In short (ha, ha), he's an imp!
Claidhaim
User ID: 8590713
Mar 15th 3:20 PM
If I had to choose, I'd say I don't like the imp much either. Here's this lettle twisted half-man whose greatest claim to fame is being a Lannister. Now he finds himself amidst the chaos and confusion of war and suddenly everyone is supposed to say: "Never worry, never fear, Tyrion Lannister the Imp is here".

I'm not buying into all his hype yet. I still have some reservations about his ultimate motives.
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Mar 15th 3:36 PM
I guardedly like him. He has shown some genuine empathy towards other to whom he has no obligation. Jon, Bran, and Sansa, for example. He's got guts, too. He thought quickly while a captive in the Eyrie and managed to get out of a situation that looked hopeless. He showed flat out courage during the siege of King's Landing. Plus, he's very quick witted and is the author of some great one liners.

I'm still not sure I trust him either, but he's certainly an entertaining guy.
Snake
Mar 15th 6:19 PM
Seems there are at least two who feel a little bit the way I do.

Ser Benjen. Tyrion's big mouth and use of his family name to keep himself from being skewered are a couple of things that I don't like about him.
Rughead
User ID: 0665994
Mar 15th 7:39 PM
He's the poster boy for the Nobles with Disabilities Act.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Mar 15th 8:01 PM
Big mouth is a matter of preference, I guess, but it is IMHO a bit hypocritical to reproach Tyrion use of the Lannister name. There are only two powerful people in the series so far who didn't use their family names every bit as much as Tyrion did - and they are Varys and Littlefinger.
Thorfinn
User ID: 9906923
Mar 16th 8:27 AM
Actually I started off not liking him much or at all because my opnion of Lanisters was messed up by Jamie, Cersei, and Joffery. But, after Tyrion talking with Jon and then remembering the conversation after Bran's fall I changed my mind. But not totally. Its when I felt for sure he did not try to kill Bran that I was a true supporter of the Tyrion the white lion club. His remarks are great, he looks the normal people in the face and says yeah I'm an imp what about it. That to me takes some character. Yeah he says he is a Lanisiter so he can get what he wants but, he has probably seen his brother do these things too but, his brother probably gets less flack. Tyrion is cool even though he may have a sour outlook on life. Hey the way he has been treated it would not be unreasonable that he is not more twisted like his father.
Snake
Mar 16th 8:36 AM
Ha. I knew you people would start defending the Imp before long. Just can't help yourselves can you? Well, I'm not going to berate your precious any more. Just hope that others out there like me will put their names to my list. Although there are none truly like me. Hmmm, I'm sure I heard that phrase before. But where...
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Mar 16th 9:02 AM
Heh...well, there was this Swami guy...wonder where he took off to.
Jeff
Mar 16th 9:13 AM
The Imp has not had it easy. Sure, he's been born into a life of luxury so in that sense he has it easier than most. But he generally is despised by virtually everyone, a joke. What his father did with Tysha was horrible. Tyrion could very easily the horrible "Imp" who terrifies children that Bran, etc, feared before they actually met him.

But he didn't. Unlike Sandor, who allowed his experiences to twist his character into something very nasty, Tyrion had the strength to maintain his own sense of self without wallowing in selfpity or cruelty. He has not lived an exemplary life, but others who were not treated nearly so badly have done far worse.
Min
User ID: 0074284
Mar 16th 9:35 AM
I love him. I admid, though, that he's bursting with arrogance and self-righteousness, but Jeff is, too, and I like _him_. Hey, only kidding!
*ducks and runs*
Thorfinn
User ID: 9906923
Mar 16th 9:57 AM
The series would not be this good if people liked all the same people. Snake, I'm sure other readers do not like Tyrion. I'm kinda the normal/average fantasy reader so, of course I like Jon, Tyrion, Dany, and Arya best. But, even these characters have their flaws (some many). Two people I really like in the series so far are Bronn and "The Mountain That Rides" even though one is darker than the other, they both could easily turn to be even worse (though the Mountain could not go much further in that direction). Its kinda like I love to hate the Mountain and Bronn because he (Bronn) can become the worst person or the one of the most good just by what he decides what to do. Snake, I see your point of view (kinda) some do not like Arya anymore because of the direction she is heading in (I like her more for it though, unless I was that guard on duty).
labor
User ID: 0798784
Mar 16th 12:21 PM
Well, Snake ;) . I find a notion that only the kick-ass fighters may be outspoken, while all the rest must keep their mouths shut and heads bowed a bit troubling to say the least.
Jeff
Mar 16th 12:54 PM
Well, its not arrogance if you're as good as you think you are, and you're not self-righteous when you are, in fact, right. :-))
Min
User ID: 0074284
Mar 16th 5:20 PM
Jeff, I give you that one. I really do. :-)
Snake
Mar 17th 10:48 AM
Well labor I don't mean that only the great fighters should be allowed to say something but the Imp never shuts up. When he has something of value to say, he should say it but he shouldn't always being trying to irritate someone. He reminds me too much of Littlefinger. Always got a sarcastic remark for anything someone else says. Plus it is not the fact that Tyrion is a Lannister that I desoise him so. In fact, I rather like Lord Tywin, even if only because he gives Tyrion a hard time. Plus, he is sort of cool. Even Ser Jaime is not that bad.
Maeglin
User ID: 0707654
Mar 18th 0:21 AM
Snake you can count me in as.I don't get why everyone loves Tyrion so much he expects everyone to judge him by his brain rather than his looks and then he judges others (mostly women) solely by how they look. I believe he is no better and maybe even worse than all the othjer Lannisters in the book.
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages