This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / A Clash of Kings II / Robb's our next main character

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Terry
User ID: 0909594
Mar 20th 0:08 AM
Robb Stark has aways been a rather sideline character. In fact, if memory serves correctly, he only appeared once in CLASH of KINGS. Now with Winterfell destroyed and the war in full swing, I wouldn't be surprised if in the next book Robb got his own chapter headings as we start to see the world of ICE & FIRE through his eyes -- the King of the North.
Street Prophet
User ID: 2107894
Mar 20th 1:19 AM
That's interesting. I never even considered him as a main character.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Mar 20th 5:45 AM
GRRM stated at the Event Horizon Chat, I believe, that would Robb would not be a POV character. We'll see him through Catelyn's eyes (meaning, of course, that he'll be getting back from the west soon), but that's about it.
Rick Hunter
User ID: 8708523
Mar 20th 11:27 AM
Anyone have that Event Horizon Chat transcribed?
tyler
User ID: 9377263
Mar 20th 2:03 PM
Hate to brake it to you guys, but if Danys and Theons dreams mean anything, and i believe they do Robb is as good as dead.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Mar 20th 4:26 PM
You can find the chat at Event Horizon's page at:

http://www.eventhorizon.com/sfzine/chats/ transcripts/031899.html

(remove the space between chats/ and transcripts/... in the location bar)
Aloriana
User ID: 1641184
Mar 20th 5:45 PM
It would be so cool if robb was a main character. Thing is part of his coolness quotient comes from the fact that we don't have direct insight to his actions. He sort of becomes legendary in that we only know second hand what he's done.
Hot Pie
User ID: 2700404
Mar 20th 8:22 PM
I think it would be to early if Robb became a main character in this book. He might become one in the later books but not the last few and if he survives.
Snake
User ID: 0317884
Mar 21st 10:49 AM
Yeah, but maybe ASoS will be centered more around Robb. Ned was the main guy in AGoT. Tyrion was the main gut in ACoK. Perhaps Catelyn will be the main one in ASoS. I sure hope so. That way we could see a lot more of Robb.
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Mar 21st 11:51 AM
Seeing more of Catelyn could be cool...although I hope she retains a little more independent PoV than before - her PoV's has too often smacked of being a window to certain non-PoV characters (Robb, Edmure, Renly, Lysa, etc.).
Ghost
User ID: 9704903
Mar 29th 5:13 PM
I think that if Robb where to be a PoV character he would have been a PoV in aGoT. Why wait 'till part 3? Also, Catelyn functions as 'Robb-reporter'. I try not to think about the point that Robb will - most likely - die. Maybe we get lucky, there are one or two other prophesies that did not come true (the stallion that mounts the world).

I think Osha will be the next PoV character becouse after Bran and Rickon split up nobody is left to tell us what happens to Rickon.
Relic
User ID: 9308123
Mar 29th 5:24 PM
I believe if Osha is to be a pov character it will be after the 5 year break. Martin said something about trying to write children and how difficult it is, and Rickon is only three... Jamie Lannister is our next pov, why else wouldnt Martin tell us?
labor
User ID: 0798784
Mar 29th 5:25 PM
On the other hand, Rickon is just a little boy and he could painlessly vanish for an entire book. GRRM hinted somewhere that Rickon might get a POV later. In ADwD he will be about 10 or 11, and thus quite POV-able.
Lord Fool
User ID: 1927154
Mar 29th 7:37 PM
Does anyone think that the New pov would be a char that we have never heard of before such as Davos was in ACoK
Greyjoy
User ID: 0860834
Mar 29th 7:52 PM
I highly doubt that we will ever see Robb as a
POV character. I believe he will be killed off in the next book to serve the story better.
labor
User ID: 0798784
Mar 29th 8:14 PM
He-he, Greyjoy. We _know_ that Robb won't ever have a POV, GRRM said so in one of his interviews. Rickon, OTOH, might.

Lord Fool, what reason would Mr.Martin have to keep the new POV character tightly secret if we don't know him already? GRRM doesn't go for needless torment of his fans (he told us that one of the new POVs will be Sam Tarly, for instance), so IMHO either naming the character will ruin a cliff-hanger or it will reveal some important secret.
Jeff
User ID: 8813033
Mar 29th 9:21 PM
I agree, labor. But its always possile that he just wants to maintain a little more suspense.
Kyle Mar 31st 8:36 PM
Maybe Renly isn't dead and we will be blessed with his point of view. If you look at the best lines section here you'll see that a large number of them are lines from Renly. His flippant personality kicked ass and I hope by some miracle he's not dead and will come back to the story.
Padraig
User ID: 1564944
Apr 1st 3:45 AM
Hi Kyle, Renly been alive would be a plot twist but I don't know how it would happen. If Catelyn didn't see Renly die then i'm very confused.

I can think of three people that could be dead or alive. Jaime, Benjen and Syrio. GRRM would certainly have a reason not to reveal either of them been the next POV.

The alternative is that it is going to be somebody we have heard of like a Martell who GRRM doesn't want us to know the plot will involve. The first theory seems better.
Blackstone
User ID: 9816503
Apr 1st 6:03 PM
Dany reports on herself
Jon and Sam up on the Wall
Bran reports on himself
Catelyn reports on Robb
Arya on the Riverlands
Sansa on Kingslanding
Davos on Stannis and Dragonstone
Tyrion on Kingslanding
Have I missed anyone?

Jaime/Cersei I dont want to know what they think
Littlefinger/Varys would necessarily give away too much
Tywin/Mace/Loras interesting but we have too many Kingslanding POV's already
Benjen too many wall POV's already
Hodor too much Hodoring

I think therefore we have a few zones of action with no one to report on them

The Eryie, Dorne, The North
Thus Im guessing
A Royce, A Frey, A Martell or get ready -- The Bastard of Bolton!
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages