This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Ice and Fire Convention / Boarder Events

Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Jul 31st 1:56 PM
A big part of the Ice & Fire mini-con is to also get all the members of the board together - to meet (many for the first time) and have a great time together. What "boarder" events would you like to see at this gathering, that do not necessarily involve our events with Ice & Fire and GRRM?
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Jul 31st 2:00 PM
Sightseeing is certainly a possibility. I'm not real familiar with what Philly has to offer, but I know this was an important city leading up to the American Revolution - so there is definitely a lot of worthwhile history on these streets.
Lodengarl
Jul 31st 2:06 PM
That is a good idea - that is something we can work on as well. I definitely think a "hotel room" get together would be in order, or a standing "invite" to anyone who wants to drop by a room for drinks, talk, whatever...like every evening after dinner 1 room will be open for any and all goers to interact - that is, when we are not out on the town. :)
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Jul 31st 2:08 PM
Lodengarl,
I understand you've already set up an account with a local liquore store and will have a keg available in your suite every night :)
Lodengarl
Jul 31st 2:11 PM
I would be more than happy to have a keg in my room - only problem is (which we will iron out later), I want to room with some people - more fun and costs less :)
I think my Irish/Scottish/Native American blood makes me somewhat drawn to alcohol :)
Nynaeve
User ID: 2345204
Jul 31st 3:09 PM
And some of us will be coming solo. I'd really like to share expenses - a room - with someone. And there are some of you I trust, I think...heh!

Hey, Rania, are you going???

Nyn
Min
User ID: 0074284
Jul 31st 5:37 PM
Apart from real "activities", and from the "convention-like" things as meeting Mr. Martin, I think it would be great not to overburden the whole thing with happenings. I know that, if I personally get to meet some of you, what I wanted would be some time to just sit and talk... :-)
Lodengarl
User ID: 0958254
Jul 31st 7:47 PM
True Min - there will be plenty of "social" happenings imho - and a few days, etc. We must remember, this is the Worldcon, so there will be a ton of non-boarder stuff and non-Ice and Fire stuff as well.
brosan
User ID: 9809413
Aug 1st 4:28 AM
I agree fully with Min. I think if you go there you�d be interested to participate in other happenings too. I certainly would not like to return from the Worldcom and all I�ve seen was IaF - stuff.
gad
User ID: 8736803
Aug 1st 4:51 AM
beer
KAH
User ID: 0541004
Aug 1st 10:43 AM
I second that. ;o)
Lodengarl
Aug 1st 11:38 AM
Looks like I am roomin with gad and KAH..ehehhe
Rattleshirt
User ID: 9719083
Aug 2nd 2:37 AM
not to mention booze......
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Aug 2nd 9:03 AM
I'd recommend getting a "hospitality" suite. We all chip in a little bit and get a large room for maybe two nights. That room is where we all can meet, drink, etc. The cost would probably be very reasonable on a per person basis. Do we know which hotel is actually hosting the WorldCon? Not too soon to make reservations, really, because they can always be cancelled.

My guess is that not all of us can stay the full five days, so we ought to pick a couple of days that are most likely to gather the most people and hit the meat of the convention. Since its Labor Day, probably either Friday/Sat or Sat/Sun would best. That would make for the best airfares as well.

For those on a budget, I'd recommend staying a bit outside the city -- north of the city is probably best, though you'd have about a half hour commute. My mom lives in Philly and I've been there a few times so I can probably help out with finding acceptable hotels.
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 9:13 AM
Excellent advice Jeff. The Marriot, which is connected to the convention center is the main hotel of choice, and is pretty reasonable if you put 4 in a room ($40 apiece). But it is like $145 a night for 2 people. All of these details will be sent out in the e-mail this weekend, but you bring up good points. A hospitality area would be a good thing to have set up, and a couple people can donate their rooms for "after-hours" socializing. Good info! Let's all pile into Jeff's mom's place! eheheh
Emilie
User ID: 2630464
Aug 3rd 8:57 PM
Nynaeve--my e-mail is [email protected] if you want to discuss sharing a room.
Jim
User ID: 9077913
Aug 3rd 11:35 PM
Is anyone from the south going? I'm from GA, and I don't know if I'll actually be able to go,(I'll just be graduating from VSU and probably be job hunting when the con happens) but if I do maybe I could pick up someone along the way and we could share expenses, gas, hotel, food, etc.
Min
User ID: 0394114
Sep 4th 5:33 AM
Lodengarl, is the second newsletter coming? Didn't get it yet.
Lodengarl
Sep 5th 8:13 AM
We are just waiting on some price clarifications - you should get it this week. Thanks for askin!
SirKnightSomerville
User ID: 1473814
Sep 5th 12:02 PM
There are also reasonably priced hotel/motels in NJ with public transportation to Philadelphia. For those interested in perhaps staying a bit longer, there is frequennt Transit service to the NJ shore (Atlantic City) and to New York City.