This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Ice and Fire Convention / Ice & Fire Events

Next 20 Messages
Lodengarl
User ID: 0798784
Jul 31st 1:58 PM
This is an open discussion of ideas. For the 1st Ice & Fire convention - what events, activities, etc. would you like to see involving GRRM directly or just his fans. Parris mentioned a masquerade. Throw out whatever you think would be unique and exciting for con-goers!
Ser Gary
User ID: 1523284
Jul 31st 2:02 PM
I think it would be great if we could have a private or semi-private lunch or dinner with him. Just something casual and light-hearted, to give us a chance to get to know the man. I don't want to sound selfish or anything, but wouldn't it be terrific if we could limit it to just the people who visit this board?
Lodengarl
Jul 31st 2:04 PM
I think that would be part of it - unless he has an objection to it. I think being in this group means we are all very devoted to the series and GRRM's work. I would hate to sounds snobby by saying we deserve it - but if we do the work to make this all happen, and GRRM "knows" many of us already, I think it would be a great idea! Parris mentioned Chinese (and she can provide a recommendation) - that is one idea.
Ser Gary
Jul 31st 2:07 PM
Lodengarl,
I wonder how much time GRRM will be able to give us. He has said he gets pretty wrapped up during these cons. Is it conceivable to think we could get more time with him beyond a luncheon or a dinner? Just wondering what people think.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jul 31st 2:10 PM
I think it would be great if he could do a short reading, perhaps by then he'll have written some of aDwD....
Ser Gary
Jul 31st 2:11 PM
How about a Q and A session with him? Do you think he'll constantly plead the Fifth?
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Jul 31st 2:12 PM
Depends on what we ask
Lodengarl
Jul 31st 2:14 PM
Excellent point Ser Benjen! Those would be the kind of events we would want. I could see him doing a "personal boarder" dinner/lunch/drinks with us to meet us and vice versa, and the rest would be Ice & Fire activities. I have sent GRRM an e-mail asking him how much this mini-con can encompass his other Worldcon events. i.e. obviously for Ice & Fire an autograph session would be nice, but will he do only 1 for the whole con, or 1 for the con and one for the mini-con, etc. I am trying to get these ironed out, and how big a part GRRM will play. Parris seems enthused and helpful, and the more we can take her advice and ideas to practice, the better.
Nynaeve
User ID: 2345204
Jul 31st 3:06 PM
I think the more informal, yet professional the better. Does that make sense? I mean we want to make it nice, and have the event go smoothly, but something more informal (IE drinks and dinner) would probably make him feel less....on display. I think most writers are uncomfortable with that facet of their fame.

Nyn
Lannister
User ID: 0136334
Jul 31st 4:21 PM
Yes, Nyn, I think he even mentioned the "on display" issue at one time. Last thing we want to do is make the guy feel uncomfortable. A casual Q and A session would probably be best. Lunch/dinner sounds like a great idea too. Parris said she had a friend who knows Philadelphia well and could probably suggest a restaurant or two. Some Inside Info on dining couldn't hurt!
Lodengarl
Aug 1st 9:00 AM
Like Rivercon, it might be cool if GRRM could auction or raffle something off for participants of the mini-con...as a group, we could even come up with some things on our own...
Jeff
User ID: 1536664
Aug 2nd 9:19 AM
I agree that a dinner/lunch probably would be the best. Attendance would be somewhat restricted because you'd have obviously have to pay to participate (i.e., eat), we'd need to make reservations, etc. That should keep the numbers reasonable.

If we were to have a hospitality suite in the hotel, we also could extend him an open invitation, free drinks, etc.

You know, if we combined the hospitality suite thing with an offer to serve as a "storefront" for his S.O. to sell (or at least take orders for) T-shirts, we might have a bit more luck. I'm quite sure she'd sell a fair number to those who show up, and it would give an easy location for people who wanted to find her. We could put a sample of each on the walls for display, etc., and keep order sheets on a table or two. It would give a nice theme, and also give her (and therefore him) a bit of an incentive to come by.
Ser Gary
Aug 2nd 9:22 AM
Jeff, great thought!!!
Lodengarl
Aug 2nd 9:22 AM
Yeah, we could work the Ice and Fire stuff into a hospitality suite thing, selling stuff, etc. and maybe a raffle/auction for specialized stuff. For GRRM's pocket or for charity. I was thinking we could ask Meisha Merlin to sponsor it, and give away a copy of A Game of Thrones numbered edition. Raffle/auction that off. Things like that. But, I would like to try to plan a special event just between GRRM/Parris and the "boarders" like dinner/lunch, etc. This will be fun! Hey Jeff, if you want to help - you can work in the hospitality suite in the plans, organize it....
Ser Gary
Aug 2nd 9:29 AM
Along those same lines, we might want to consider using a hotel meeting room for our get-together with GRRM. The hotel could cater the event, and we could keep it private. The meeting room charge might even become negligible because hotels often downgrade them or eliminate them entirely when the catering cost is considered adequate.
Jeff
Aug 2nd 3:35 PM
I'd be willing to help with the hospitality suite, etc. I'm not sure I could be present the whole time, but I could certainly put it together. A hotel banquet room might be a good idea as well for dinner. Keeping it in the same hotel as the convention would make it more convenient, but I suspect those rooms will fill up rather quickly.

Btw, is there anyone who actually is "in charge" of this thing? If so, we ought to find out exactly where WorldCon is being held. Maybe I'll try to find out....
Jeff
Aug 2nd 3:43 PM
Okay, I found out. The host hotel is the Marriot, which is connected to the Pennsylvania Convention Center. No reservations being accepted yet. The convention sponsors also promise to have some shuttle-bus arrangements with other nearby hotels. For those interested, the web address to the Convention website is:

http://www.netaxs.com/~phil2001/

It has links to hotels, etc. Pretty useful stuff. The sponsors also mention something about "membership", so someone ought to look into that as well.
Lodengarl
User ID: 0958254
Aug 2nd 9:00 PM
Ser Gary and myself are working on a prelimenary e-mail for the group, should go out this weekend..it will be full of good info!
Lannister
User ID: 0770504
Aug 2nd 10:21 PM
Great ideas, Jeff!
I think Lodengarl is takin' the lead on this thing. Run with it, boarder-buddy!
Lodengarl
Aug 3rd 8:34 AM
Jeff - thanks for the e-mail, and thanks for helping out!!
Next 20 Messages