This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Ice and Fire Convention / GRRMs Schedule for the Worldcon

brosan
User ID: 7057593
Aug 10th 4:37 AM
Relic posted this somewhere else:

THis just in from George Martin:

I have just received my schedule next month's worldcon in Chicago. If there
are any readers who plan on attending Chicon and would like to meet me or get
an autograph, they will be able to find me at the following events:

FRIDAY Sept 1
============
11:30 am Panel Discussion: BEYOND THE GENERIC MIDDLE AGES w/ Robert Jordan, Sean McMullen, Dennis McKiernan, Jane Routley

SATURDAY Sept 2
===============
1:00 pm KAFFEKLATSCH (note: attendance at these kaffeeklatsches is limited,and requires advance sign-up at the con)

4:00 pm panel discussion: THE IDEAL LENGTH FOR SCIENCE FICTION w/Robert Reed, Adam Troy-Castro, Nick DiChario, Dennis McKiernan

SUNDAY Sept 3
============
10:00 am - 11:15 am AUTOGRAPHING

2:30 pm - 3:35 pm READING from A STORM OF SWORDS

Other items may be added later, and of course all these are subject to
change, but this is my worldcon schedule as it stands at present.

I hope to see many of you in Chicago.

George R.R. Martin
Arianne
User ID: 8875883
Aug 10th 2:10 PM
I'm normally a lurker, but since I live in Chicago, I was wondering where I could find the information for where the events are taking place. Is anyone else planning to go? Thanks!
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 10th 2:15 PM
www.chicon.org :)
Parris
User ID: 1216034
Aug 14th 11:08 PM
Dear Arianne - try to go to the Chicon web site -
http://www.chicon.org./
and you can find out more information on the site and membership costs.
Lannister
User ID: 0136334
Aug 16th 9:54 AM
Alot of us are planning to go Arianne!
Arianne
User ID: 8875883
Aug 16th 12:35 PM
Is there a way just to go see GRRM the one day to get his autograph and hear the reading, or do we have to pay for the whole thing, membership and all?
Gap Hermit
User ID: 0283314
Aug 17th 0:54 AM
Arianne, they have one day passes that you can buy at the door, but the problem is finding out what day(s) GRRM's autograph session and readings are. I guess you have to keep checking the website for updates, and last I read, even GRRM himself did not have his schedule for Worldcon yet, so it might be hard to find out what you need to know until close to the last minute. But it is possible to just go for one day, if you can find out which day.
Ran
User ID: 0867924
Aug 17th 5:57 AM
<Points up>

brosan posted GRRM's schedule. On September 3rd, from 10:00 AM to 11:15 he'll be doing an autograh signing session. :)

I also heard somewhere that they had organized a big signing party, which he might take part in. That one's timing, I don't know.
Parris
User ID: 1042384
Aug 19th 3:46 AM
Uhhh, how many folks from the boards think they'll be at Chicon? Should I bring more t-shirts? (If all goes well, and it hasn't so far, but I'm trying, I'll finally have the Lannister and Baratheon shirts ready) I was going to bring a couple of dozen in various sizes, will that be enough? How much over the weight limit can I pack my bags for Worldcon?

The scuttlebutt I hear says the mass autographing has hit some glitches, you might want to just choose one of the weekend day passes - the Hugo awards are Saturday night, but George's personal autographing session is scheduled for the ungodly hour of 10 am on Sunday. Bring coffee.

There are some programming notes on the Chicon web site, I strongly urge those interested to spend a little time reading the info there if you are not familar with sf fan culture and cons.

Parris
Lannister
User ID: 0770504
Aug 19th 8:13 PM
Oh MY GOD! I want a Lannister Tshirt but I won't be at the Chicago Con. Can anyone help me, please? Pretty please. Us Lannisters pay well, we really do!
Lannister
User ID: 0770504
Aug 21st 9:42 PM
Parris? I NEED a Lannister T-shirt.
Ser Benjen
User ID: 2122084
Aug 22nd 10:11 AM
Relax Lannister. You can go to http://www.mandala.net/grrmartin/
and get some information on how to order the T-Shirts. I think Parris left her e-mail address somewhere around here, maybe you could ask her about it directly.
Parris
User ID: 1042384
Aug 25th 0:09 AM
Hey Lannister, relax, really, I just got back from Denver and have a lot of lovely new shirts for good folks like yourself. As Ser Benjen said, you can go to the mandala url, or write me at: [email protected] and I'll give you more details. But I won't be shipping any shirts except the backorders until after I return from WorldCon.

Parris

Nynaeve
User ID: 1084044
Aug 29th 1:19 AM
Aww... what about a Stark tank-top T-shirt?

Stark - York
Lannister - Lancaster

Nynaeve
Die-Hard Yorkist and Starkist... :)